Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

Comments

• junebug11junebug11 Member Posts: 1
    all of my warning lights and guages stop working for about 200 miles yesterday and today they are working fine , does anybody know what caueses that to do that ????? have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 truck ,, thanks jr ,,,
  • wlcadywlcady Member Posts: 4
    What is it? I notice a fluxuation in the RPMs also. Unhooked battery cable but after a day or so check engine light comes back on. what can I do oor does anyone know what it may be????
  • goaliegoalie Member Posts: 16
    www.troublecodes.net/ODB2/Pcodes for your future reference. P0740 = torque Convertor Clutch Circuit Malfunction......check the wiring and plug......maybe something hit it.
  • wlcadywlcady Member Posts: 4
    Ok great, where might that be? exterior? So this is nothing major? I am getting ready to take it to the shop for a Tranny flush do you think I need to? Thaks for your info.
  • jons_dodgejons_dodge Member Posts: 1
    61 00
    64 00
    68 02
    00 00

these show up if i push and hold the trip button in the guage area while i turn the key to on and let the trip button go
  • pimarine9903pimarine9903 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. It has a 4.7 Litre engine in it. About two weeks ago It shot a trouble code of p0300. I replaced the spark plugs and reset the light. It stayed off for a couple of days and came back on. This time it was P0304 which is showing up as a #4 cylinder Missfire. I took it to a local mechanic and they told me that it was clogged injectors, I had them cleaned and the codes erased again. Now it has only been one day and the same code is coming up. So far to try and remedy this problem I have:

Replaced spark plugs, changed the coil pack off of #4 and put it on #1 to see if the missfire would follow, it didnt. Had injectors cleaned. Have put injector cleaner in the tank.

Can someone help me and maybe point me in the right direction as to why this code keeps coming up? Thankyou
  • tiger38tiger38 Member Posts: 6
    the ABS light comes on and the AIRBAG light comes on the speedometer goes to zero the tach goes to zero but the truck runs fine when it does this. the lights go off the speedo and tach goes back to working.what's going on? need help!!
  • esmithesmith Member Posts: 13
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4. There is a light in the dash that reads "gages" that recently started coming on, but only for about one second. When it comes on, it also dings. I look as fast as I safely can and noticed that when this light is on, my oil pressure gauge drops to zero. It happens so quickly that you almost don't see it. I don't believe that I'm actually loosing oil pressure but more inclined to think its a ground wire issue, or wiring in general. Has anybody had this problem? Thank you.
    i went a dealer and the service guy told me it could be several things. a bad wire,a sensor,a loose connection,a ground wire, or a module. he said they could hook it up to the machine and run the codes to see whats going on.
  • esmithesmith Member Posts: 13
    I'm not getting any check engine light tho, so there is no code to pull out. I wish it were that simple, thats why I'm asking if anybody has had a similiar incident. Thank you for your input tho, much appreciated.
    what does no cluster bus message mean??? code P1687
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Your dash gauges have lost communication with the computer. Dealer will need to check the source of the failure.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • wlpprhngrwlpprhngr Member Posts: 1
    Hi ramman3,
    I have a 2004 dodge 2500 with the 5.7 hemi and i am getting po137 and po 157 codes like the ones you had. Please advise on how to fix if you had any luck with yours.

Jamey Jones
    wlpprhngr@carolina.rr.com
    Reminder... as noted in the post biox, please do not include your email address in your messages. We have no control over who (or what) may use your address fro malicious purposes. If you wish to have other members contact you, you can make your email address "public" in your Forums profile, or you can use your automatic Carspace email - you access it from your CarSpace page and it's your username (at) carspace.com

kcram - Pickups Host
    My mechanic told i need to ge me another instrument cluster and that should fix it.
  • kb500kb500 Member Posts: 4
    This code popped up after a scan.Does anybody know what it is and what is the fix.

Thanks kb500
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Hope this helps:
    http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441
    Regards
    Corkscrew
  • kb500kb500 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks corkscrew for the info,I'll check the system.

KB500
  • minemanmineman Member Posts: 2
  • minemanmineman Member Posts: 2
    My engine light recently came on and I checked out the code for it. It said that the exhaust gas regulator was at a high limit. I don't know if I should change out the egr to fix the problem or do something else. Could someone please help. Thanks.
  • skipswifeskipswife Member Posts: 2
    I was running errands today. At my third stop my truck wouldn't start. The lights and radio come on when I turn the key but when I turn it to start nothing happens. Both keys won't lock or unlock truck either. I'm afraid they lost their code but it's Saturday and the dealership is not open. Any suggestions?
  • sodell72sodell72 Member Posts: 2
    Hi skipswife, my brother had a problem with his truck losing its code.His would start up and cut right off. He unhooked the cable wires off the battery for about ten minutes. It cranked right up after he hooked the wires back up to the battery.
    Dont know if it will work for you, but it wouldnt hurt to try. Hope it does. Good Luck!
  • jbb7jbb7 Member Posts: 1
    Good Morning,

My 2004 Dodge RAM wouldn't start this a.m. when i put the key in, interior lights, mileage, and the red security light, blinks on and off. when I placed a charger to the battery, no change tot he blinking.

How do I find the error code and what is a possible cause and fix?

The Dodge dealership sayd to have truck towed and they can check it out. I hope not.

Thanks
    jbb7
    To see the codes (if any), insert your ignition key and cycle it as follows: On (not Start, don't crank the engine)-Off-On-Off-On. Any codes will appear in the odometer display.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • skipswifeskipswife Member Posts: 2
    Found out the problem with my '07 Dodge was the wireless control module went out. Which meant that it wouldn't read the code on the keys. $270 later it's fixed.
  • ebroadyebroady Member Posts: 3
    I have Dodge Ram 15000 2003 model, and just recently had the water pump replaced. Well after that the check engine light came on, I took it to the dealer and they said it was a cylinder misfiring, and suggested I replace the spark plugs. I did replace the spark plugs, then the coils. But for some reason the engine light still comes on and stays lit, and sometimes the the truck will hesitate around 5th gear to move smoothly. and not perform as well. Anyone with tips to help redeem this situation let me know. Everett Broady
  • johnekio2johnekio2 Member Posts: 3
    If the engine warning light comes on because of a loose gas cap, does it go off with new gas cap or do I have to take it to dealer to get light reset?
    Just make sure your gas cap is tight (you don't necessarily need a new one unless it is leaking vapors all the time). The light will clear itself after a few start cycles.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Thanks
    any site out there that shows a diagram of the emission system?
  • roxanaroxana Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500. I got home this afternoon and 1hr later I go to start it and it would'nt start. Power locks, windows, lights, and dash don't work except for a little red light in the dashboard that blinks when I open the door. Nothing happens when I turn the key. Any suggestions on what it could possibly be and the meaning of that blinking light? :confuse:
  • ebroadyebroady Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A DODGE RAM 1500 2003 MODEL AND HAVE HAD ALL THE SPARK PLUGS REPLACED AND RAN FUEL INJECTION CLEANER THROUGH THE ENGINE SEVERAL TIMES. IT STILL SHOWS THE #2 AND #3 CLYLINDERS MISFIRING WHICH IS EFFECTING THE FUEL ECONOMY OF THE VEHICLE. AND SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO CLEAR THIS PROBLEM UP WITHOUT HAVING TO SPEND A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY. EVERETT
  • budman3budman3 Member Posts: 187
    I have an 03 Ram with the hemi.
    I recently had my fuel pump replaced and I now have this DTC, P0440 Evap Sys Perf.
    What should I be looking for. The truck is out of warranty and hopefully I can find a quick fix.
    Thanks
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    i had the same code on 2002 Ram 1500. look under bed. drivers side in front of back tire. their is a black box & a round black canister. check all the hoses around these canisters. i had one hose cracked into. $8.68 later lite was out. or there is one more thing to check is your gas cap tight? or bad seal on gas cap will give you same code
  • budman3budman3 Member Posts: 187
    Thanks, I'll check it out. :)
  • jrawlesjrawles Member Posts: 1
    I am an American in Canada, truck has been sitting for a few months. i start truck on weekends to keep it operational. Replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago following cold snap. Recent cold snap (-30degrees C) last night and car will not start today. Security light blinks. Battery is fine. Truck is shut down in security mode- no locks, lights, gages, etc.

any suggestions?
  • lloydsgllloydsgl Member Posts: 3
    If anyone else is having this problem...it was fixed by the dealer by replacing the cruise control switch.
  • glrsr1951glrsr1951 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 is throwing a P0505 code, "Idle Control System Malfunction." Idles and runs fine. Anybody know how to fix?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    There are four types of codes:

1. Codes that clear immediately if the problem goes away, such as an intermittent.

2. Codes that will clear 20-40 restarts after the problem goes away.

3. Codes that clear after so many complete trips (ie: start cold, warm-up, drive, cool down).

4. Codes that must be cleared manually with the DRB3 diagnostic tool.

It is possible there was a fault detected momentarily, but the problem went away during subsequent vehicle operation, probably in the same trip. This may resurface again.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • John1868John1868 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Ram 1500 quad cab with the Hemi engine. I recently turned over 20,000 miles and a "check engine light" came on. The light is not flashing and the manuel says it might be on because it is a scheduelled maintinance thing. I dont know the trouble code or even how to get it. Is there somone who knows how to get the code or if there is a function to shut the light off on the dash?
    Chrysler makes code retrieval very easy and end-user friendly.

Beginning with the ignition key in the OFF position, move the key to the RUN position and back to OFF in the following cycle:

OFF, RUN, OFF, RUN, OFF, RUN

This must be performed in a smooth, fairly quick action.

Observe the transmission range indicator on the instrument cluster and wait a few seconds. Any codes stored in the computer will be sequentially displayed. The test is completed when the word "done" is visible.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • John1868John1868 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a million Dusty. I found the trouble code. (P0573) Any idea what it is?
    Yep.

P0573 = Cruise Control/Brake Switch A Circuit High

Just for grins, check and see if you have stop lights, or check to see if stepping on the brake pedal disengages the cruise control. Also, I'd recommend checking all of the fuses.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    On my 2003 Dodge Ram the rear brake lights are going out all the time and then warning indicator comes on. Has anyone else had this problem? I replace them about every four months and they always go out in about in a about a week of each other.
    When you remove the bulb does it have the appearance of it being burned out, or is the glass clear and bright?

If the glass is bright (no signs of being burned inside) and the filament appears to have broken on one of the end supports, with the center of the filament still intact, the failure is more likely to be from vibration. This is not uncommon with poor quality bulbs.

If the filament has disintegrated in the center and the bulb shows signs of filament burning, you either have a poor quality bulb, experiencing a high voltage condition, or the bulbs are being subjected to a high duty cycle, meaning they are being illuminated for more hours than you think.

Last year I noticed that my neighbor's Chevy Venture would have the brake lights on while the vehicle was just sitting in their driveway. At first I thought someone was in the vehicle, but after observing this for a half-dozen times I noticed there wasn't anyone in the van. It turned out they had a bad stoplight switch.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Dustys long-winded bulb quality check seems redundant. Given that these bulbs ltterally never get changed in some cars from the assembly line to the crusher...its not the bulbs...you will find your wiring harness has a minor fault somewhere...rubbed thru and grounding out occasionally..which will cause the bulbs to burn out/fail much like the fuse would...and should..if the wire were pinched ...has the vehicle been hit? trailer hitch installed? Check the main plug up by the spare..Check the plug at the brake pedal switch......bulbs are bulbs. You have a minor intermittent electrical problem.
    Its one of 3 sensors that affect the timing....get the code and check the code chart...
    Chilton manuals are cheap; Dodge Truck Owners web-site is also pretty helpful. That code is for a minor/small leak in the evap system....likely a cracked hoses or failed clamp.
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    Thanks Dusty for the reply. When I replace the bulbs they are completely clear, and they still look brand new. When I replace them, I go to Dodge and they have the ones that they put in at the factory. Even though the bulb looks new, it looks a little burnt at the ends. This is really the only issue I have with the truck so it's not that big of a deal. In fact I have replaced them so many times, I have gotten it down to about 5 minutes from start to finish.
  • trav6trav6 Member Posts: 18
    light came on and i found code po551 ----wonder what that might be???anyone have problem before???