Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Vibration Problems

bslansingerbslansinger Member Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Kia
I just bought a used 03 sorento & even at the time of test drive there was a noise that only happens when you turn the car off & start back up & begin moving about 5mph. There is a slight vibration under the front end. The dealer told me it is the abs pump activating but they are not kia dealers & wanted to see if anyone else has the same issue.

Brad

Comments

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Yes! I've told the ABS is doing a self-test. I don't know why but it seems like it is only on Sorento w/ABS. It is on my car too. However, I don't feel/hear that on my loaner, '06 Sportage w/ABS.

Everytime you start the car and put it in gear, either "D" or "R" and drive, you feel a vibration at the gas pedal and notice the noise within few seconds.
  • rcoverdellrcoverdell Member Posts: 5
    I have the same issue. I am also having issues with my 4-wheel drive, and I had a mechanic friend tell me that it could be something to do that or possibly with the transfer case.
  • bslansingerbslansinger Member Posts: 3
    What is the problem you are having with your 4 wheel drive. I think there may be something wrong with mine as well. When I switch 4Hi on going under 50 (as the manual says) as I slow down or come to a stop it feels as if the front wheels are binding up & it is very difficult to move. Sort of like driving with the emerg brake on. I asked my Kia dealer & he said that it will do that if I am driving on normal roads in 4x4. Which doesn;t make much sense to me, considering if it is doing it on flat wet pavement I can only imagine the snow or mud.
    Brad
  • pia1pia1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 04 Sorento with 42K miles. We have noticed an intermittent (now more often than not) "thudding" noise on the right side of the truck when we accelerate from a stop. I've had the brakes checked, had the rear shocks replaced (the mechanic thought that it was the shocks, but the noise is still there.) It almost sounds like there is something rolling around in the trunk, but we have checked the spare, emptied everything out, still hearing the noise. I took it to another mechanic, he suggested that it might be the drive shaft, but also said that I should see if anyone out in the market has had a similar problem and might offer a suggestion. Today,a friend thought that it might be a transmission problem....does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Thanks.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    did you have a sudden stop prior to acceleration....there is a TSB out on the drive shaft...something concerning the splines if the shaft where they connect to the differential I believe.....did you have it checked at a KIA dealership or a private mechanic....

The TSB fix should be done under warranty......
  • rthey4realrthey4real Member Posts: 1
    We have a 06 sorento. There is a clunking noise in back end when you go from stopped and most times shifting. We have taken it back in several times. They seem to know exactly what it is. The drive shaft. What they don't know is what there going to do about it.They don't seem to want to do anything(my husbands answer is drive it threw the dealership Ha. That's not gonna happen.) They told us that all Sorento's do this after about 5,000 miles.Thier answer is grease it up, which doesn't help either or replace the drive shaft knowing that it's going to come back. Still working on what's the next step.
  • puglover0101puglover0101 Member Posts: 6
    I had this problem with my 2004 and they at first said the had to make some kind of an adjustment. Well the noise came back!! They eventually replaced the drive-shaft and the noise has not been back. But several other problems have! The drive shaft seem to be a common problem among others!
  • goody8goody8 Member Posts: 1
    Have an 05 Sorento and whne brakes are applied I get a vibration. Front brake pads are ok and the rotors check out ok. Could it be the wheel balance??
    is the vibration in the steering wheel...if so...its the rotors.....how were they checked out......is my question....most of the time you can see that the rotors are warped......I would suggest having the rotors turned.....if they are the OEMs...would suggest replacing them completely......warped rotors are a notorious issue with the sorento.......
  • tcpitcpi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 KIA Sorento and I'm experiencing a problem with drag in the front end, seems to be on the left side and I think it also involves the power steering unit as well as the front tire rods. Can this be correct?
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Most likely the wrapped disc rotors. But I only had the vibration for the first time last year at 48K miles on my '03 Sorento. It was time to replace the front brake pads. And I only resurfaced the front disc rotors instead of replacing them. How do they find out the pads and rotors are ok? And by who?
  • twoblueeyestwoblueeyes Member Posts: 9
    Have had vehicle since Mar 07...put on 5K in 2 months. As of February (11 months) now at 15k. Since beginning there has been a steering vibration when moving out from a stop. It happens going forward and in reverse. At first I thought it was tied to turns since you always notice it when going in and out of parking spaces. In reality you can go straight and it occurs. Asked for service check twice in first few months. Both time told it was a given with AWD and not to worry. Second time a tire rotation was suggested. Did rotation at 12,000 since it had not gone away. Felt service guys just wrote it off as being female and not understanding AWD.

This current visit explained to multiple people that this vibration is a big negative. Shared that people who drive my KIA have agreed that it is not normal. Surprise!!! when I pushed harder to quote tech who is checking out "customer states:vibration felt when driving at parking speed and turning"---"Found that vehicle vibrates BADLY when turning into parking space (slow speeds)". About time guys!!!

A fluid exchange to eliminate vibration was done. It didn't improve things so a STEPPER MOTOR is being added. Can someone educate me as to what a Stepper Motor does? Also, what kind of damage could this long term vibration have caused?

Anyone else had this problem?

Thank you.

Two Blue Eyes
  • missilcornfusemissilcornfuse Member Posts: 7
    My thudding as you described was a stripped bolt on the running boards. They wanted me to pay for it, so I called Kia USA & had a conference call with the head of service. I got GREAT service after that & usually a discount for my oil changes.
  • cheapengineercheapengineer Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2006 Sorento EX AWD w/ABS. I had a vibration when braking. I did mention to the service advisor that I thought that the rotors might be warped and I read that this was a common problem on the Sorento. The dealer replaced all four brakes rotors today and the probem is gone, no questions, and no hassles. I waited about an hour. Great dealer.

BTW, I get a vibration for about a second when first moving from a stop in both forward and reverse. This only occurs after the car has been parked for a while. This may the the drive shaft torque issue mentioned several times in this forum. They have no fix at this point or so I've been told.
    Stepper Motor installation has completely solved the issue. Vibrations are gone and the gas mileage improved back to what it was (16 mph) in city driving.

Took a lot of frustration to get taken seriously but the final resolution is good. It will take a lot of effort from the dealership to take away the months of frustration. Time will tell.
    Two Blue Eyes
    :surprise:
  • thunder938thunder938 Member Posts: 3
    2005 sorento 4X4 the truck, just some of the time, makes a high pitch sound from the front end while driving / rolling. If I drag the brakes it stops., but the sound is not like old grinding brakes. Its very high pitch and like the tin backing plate is rubbing, but they are not. If you turn side to side it comes and goes. THe sould slows with the speed of the wheel. Sound like brakes, but the sound is diff. If there a tin brake where indicator that could be making the noise? Wheel bearing? To move around the wheel / tire while on the jack the bearing feels good. This is just a sound that I have never heard before???

Thanks
    I just got the truck back from the dealer. The noise is from a rear brake slider rubbing. THey tried to charge me and I siad if its not the pads then its should be a warr. repair. After a few minutes they agreed. JUst letting any one out there know what it was...
  • emmycornemmycorn Member Posts: 1
    I hope there isnt' already a discussion about this, if there is I apologize, I couldn't find one. I have a 2004 EX that I bought back in november. When i test drove it, it was wonderful and do LOVE my car:) After I bought it however (about a week or so after) I started to notice that going around really sharp corners it would chug or lurch and my tires would drag. I took it to the shop and they said that it was the transfer case and it was basically "constantly engaged in 4 wheel drive" and causing the lurching. I'm not sure if I believe that's it and also the repair for that is quite costly. anyone else have this type of issue? :sick:
  • ken89ken89 Member Posts: 4
    yes i have the 03 sorento and have the same problem plus when im on the freeway going abought 65 70 miles an hr i have a major vibration dealer says thats how these cars come from the factory. does any one have this problem, and if so can it be fixed. ps. i read something abought a stepper motor do you think that would work.
    Find another dealer, I have a 05 and have have no vibrations at any speed. I also pull a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer, about 2800 lbs, at freeway speeds 70mph ish :) and have no vibrations...
    get another dealer...I hate when a service department blows off an issue because of their laziness or lack of technical skill...or both!!!...no vibration at all here in my 03EX
    are you sure you dont have an AWD sorie....on the 4X4 selector...do you have a auto selector...or do you have a HI and LOW selector....I have an 03 EX and it is AWD.....and has the problem you mentioned....that is typical for sharp low speed turns in this model.......
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    Your Kia comes with a 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warrantee. I would not take it to any other mechanic besides Kia so you don't void any of you coverage.
    hi this is ken89 my sorento is an ex model with 4hi -4lo selector switch and yes it is AWD the vibration is very aparent at 65mph and very iritating i just dont want to waste $ if i dont have to so if anyone has had this problem and fixed it can they let me know how they did it .
    For my 07 Sorrento...it took a LONG time to get the dealer to listen to me but my persistence paid off. My car had a vibration in the right wheel well. After multiple visits with the complaint, I finally got the service department to pay attention. The first solution was to be replacing the fluid with a heavier weight (from the Pontiac division of the dealership). That did not fix it so a stepper motor got ordered and installed. Instant improvement. Now I get great service (think they figured out it was a big oops basically ignoring me and telling me also that it's just the way the Sorrento drives). Love the car, especially without the vibration. Now, if the gas mileage was better...that's my only disappointment at this point.
    so im still not sure what a stepper motor does or what it is please help ken89
    Well....not being an engineer & also being blonde (truely).....my understanding is that the stepper motor improved the transmission fluid pressure. That was put on after swapping the fluid with a heavier weight. It took persistence to get a resolution. They did cover it under warranty work. I believe Kia has a technical notice out to their service crew. Good luck~~
  • troy30troy30 Member Posts: 4
    Hi twoblueeyes. i was wondering if you have a part number or any more information on the stepper motor. I think my sorento has that problem also, only on initial movement. thanks. I know this is an old post but maybe someone out there knows,
    Troy,
    I'll look to see if I still have the receipt..should. I'll look this weekend in between watching the Olympics!!! Have not got my complete "fix". Oops...I digress. I'll check and do a post. Worst case I can give you the location of my favorite Service person. He's learned to listen when I have an issue. I get GREAT service these days. twoblueeyes :D:D
    It seems almost any noise coming from the sorento is dismissed as regular operation. from my experience the only sound that should come from any car is the sound of the engine
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Beyond the stereo, horn and seat belt chimes that would be the ideal! But then there's the air conditioning, heater fan, talking nav, door ajar indicator and a few others. There's always earplugs! ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Well...I have to agree they (Kia Service) did not take me serious on the "vibration"....I was persistent with every visit and eventually one of the Service Techs noted a significant vibration problem. I got ignored multiple times with a variety of "suggestions" (or excuses) as to what the problem was....the best one was that I just wasn't used to driving a 4x4 ....let's see by then I'd had a Ford Explorer 4x4 for close to 8 years!!! These days....after the major oops....they treat me nice at the service department. TBE..
    Troy no luck on the receipt with the part #. Will post again...have to go through receipts for taxes so with luck it will be there.
    I do not necessarily need a part number, i just need to know where to tell the mechanic to look. the problem is there are various stepper motors in the vehicle performing different operations. I need to pin it down to an exact one. Thanks for looking
    This is kinda off topic. My crankshaft bolt broke today. my car is out of warranty plus my vin number was not included in the recall for this part. so kia Canada is trying to pass off responsibility. These guys need a class action lawsuit or something
    my crankshaft bolt was replaced when i brought it in for service and its a 2003 idont know why they wont fix it for you unless you only had so much time to get it done ?
  • mejias24mejias24 Member Posts: 1
    Three days ago i began hearing a loud screeching sound coming from the front drivers side of my 2005 kia sorento. The sound happens when braking but also (strangely) when turning left (only). Thinking it may possibly be the brake pads, my husband changed both sides; while they did need to be changed, this did not solve the horrible screeching sound. Has anyone had a similar issue or can possibly provide me w/ information on what the problem could possibly be? Hopefully, nothing too expensive... Thanks! :blush:
  • lynnbaxter1lynnbaxter1 Member Posts: 1
    When do you replace the shocks and struts on a 2007 Kia Sorento?
  • chino2609chino2609 Member Posts: 1
    Vivo en Venezuela y poseo una KIA Sorento 2006 XS, actualmente esta presentando problemas con la suspensión, específicamente la trasera, la camioneta rebota mucho cada vez que paso por algún obstáculo, a pesar de haberle cambiado hace 2 meses los amortiguadores por unos originales. Alguien del foro podria sugerir alguna solucion viable a mi problema
    So what did this end up being? Just curiouos as I just got my 2007 Sorento back from the shop....yesterday it was loud crunching noise out of right front wheel started after we had just hit town after a two day trip coverinng maybe a little over 200 miles....we hit town and stopped to do an errand. Got in the car & while backing out of parking spot heard weird crunch-like sound ...intermittent with moving back & forward. It had a vibration. So fortunately my daughter & I with our superb problem solving skills decided to get a tow to the KIA shop on Sundary no less. Left a note & the keys. Got it back today with replaced wheel bearings on right covered under warrnaty. NICE SURPRISE. Only negative...when I asked about the replacing the left was told not covered under warranty but was told if a customer came in with the same problem outside of warranty they would strongly reccomend that both sides get replaced. I suggested that lets hope it doesn't fail and cause an accident. Apparently the wheel pretty got a lot worse when the frove it from the parking space into the shop. He told me he wasn't sure he would make it without freezing up. He told me our BEST decision was the ow.
  • pondrockerpondrocker Member Posts: 18
    Let me start by saying we do not own a Sorento yet. Have test driven 4 different ones & all appear to have a fine vibration that resonates through out the cabin. During test drives we had a bottle of water with us in the center console, it quivered like a constant earthquake tremor, vibrations could also be felt in seats. Even tried a v6 LX with different tires, same vibration. I have read about this vibration in the 4cyl but not the v-6. Been told it is "normal" & all of them do it! Drove all the competion & did not feel this in any of them. If you own a 2013 V-6 EX awd Sorento I would appreciate your feedback. Do you get use to it?, does it get worse, go away? Really love the Sorento but cannot get past this vibration to pull the trigger & buy one.
  • cigarprocigarpro Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I have a the same car with 5000 miles on it. I have not had any vibration probelems what so ever. It has Kumho Solas KL21 18" tires and Kia alloy rims.

The only problem I have is sometimes the nav package takes 5 minutes to load, the de4aler will reload the software when its in for its oil change other than that its been problem free.
    Thank you for the reply & your experience, it is greatly appreciated. Somehow my thread got turned into "wheels & suspension" This has nothing to do with tires, we drove an LX model which has completly different tires & rims, the fine vibration was the same. Thought it was an AWD unibody thing so drove an V6 Outlander same bottle of water & no vibrations! As mentioned I have read nothing regarding vibration in v6 EX AWD so to have driven 4 with the vibration I am hesitant to pull the trigger on one. Maybe I need to wait for a new run from the factory?
  • toonietoonie Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 4 cyl EX Kia Sorento and have had it in the service center twice for the vibration. First time they said it was a evac canister and the second time they said the idle had to be reprogrammed. It is actually happening worse than before. They say they haven't experienced the vibration yet it is there almost everytime I drive it. Mostly after heats up and you notice when you come to a stop and it is in gear. I too judge it with the water bottle. I am hoping this next time that they can figure out what it is.
    By the way if any one knows what fixes it please let me know as I am going to take it in again when it is vibrating so they can actually feel it.
  • sorento2122sorento2122 Member Posts: 5
    Lots of shaking going on with new 2013 sorento V6 EX. Still less than 3000 mi. Took it back to dealer and they balanced the wheels. Much better. Road Force (?) reduced from 16 to 4. There is still a subtle vibration that's going to result in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Going to call dealer again tomorrow.
    Sorento2122 thanks for your reply & feedback. Sorry to hear that your new EX v-6 Sorento is a shaker! My wife & I re test drove one that we had already driven 2 weeks prior when we 1st noticed the vibration. I cannot be certain but it appeared that the dealership had sprayed rubber under the front wheel wells & I swear it had different tires on it from the 1st visit, also very odd that the same sorento was still on the lot after 2 plus weeks, there are only 5 total V6 EX Sorentos on lots in the Twin Cities area! When we drove it this 2nd time the fine vibrations appeared to be better but it pulled severely to the right, bad enough that you could not let go of the steering wheel! Needless to say I could not move forward & buy a new vehicle that appeared to have been manipulated/modified since the 1st test drive & that would not drive down the road straight. Something is fishy, I think we will wait for more to be sold & see what comes of it. Please keep me updated on your Sorento woes, it is greatly appreciated, I wish you luck!
    It is very frustrating as I notice it getting worse. The first time the checked it they said they check tires and when I bought it it had little red stickers like a dot on the tire and on the rim matching up. Don't know what that was about. The funny thing is there is no engine light that indicates something wrong so the mechanics are clueless. I will take in again and see what they come up with. Let me know how the tire balancing works. :
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    usted puede tratar de un amortiguador de choque de dos etapas. son más caros, pero se puede hacer para un mejor viaje. Espero que ayude. rr70
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    edited September 2012
    I read these posting with interest. I have test driving numerous v6 sorrentos (2012) and non vibrated when driven. They all have, in my opinion, too much engine vibration at idle, but like all cars, being ideosinycratic, there is always something about a car that is objectionable. Its just about which ones hit a nerve.

As far as the spraying etc., I have found that the folks who prep new cars are pretty clueless about a number of things. For example, improper use of tire dressing can cause the brakes to not function properly if spray gets on the rotors. spraying undercoating which gets on drive shafts will cause vibration.

hope that helps. rr70
  • stevem3rdstevem3rd Member Posts: 2
    I have the AWD 4 cylinder Sorento (2011) has 51k
    On it and never had vibration in the cabin... It rides rather smooth :)