Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

1242526272830»

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning All:

It has been five (5) days since my "selling / servicing dealer" installed the up-dated software package to eliminate the "surging problem" at highway speeds and city street operation while going up a hill. ------- I am happy to announce that my vehicle is operating in an OUTSTANDING fashion! The engine is VERY powerful, responsive, and the miles per gallon are as advertised. ----- (My Malibu now has 13,600+ miles. ---- Yes, I drive a lot!)

A friend of mine, who owned a 2009 version of my vehicle, bought himself out if his lease five months earlier, because he no longer could drive the vehicle safely on the road because of the "surging problem." ----(His problem showed up at 10,000 miles, while mine showed up at 12,500 miles.) ---- When I informed him that there was an updated software package designed specifically for this issue, he was shocked! --- Even though he always had the selling dealer perform all the required preventive maintenance on the vehicle, no one ever told him about the new software package. -----WHY?

Here are some important questions that need to be addressed both from the manufacturer's point of view, and from the consumer's point of view:

1.) Does the manufacturer have an obligation to notify every owner of a specific vehicle if an up-dated / technical service bulletin is being offered to cure a negative operational characteristics?

2.) Does the consumer have the right to expect the manufacturer to operate in a professional manner by disclosing information related to negative operational characteristics?

A search on the net will disclose that this "surging issue" has existed with these vehicles since 2009, so as such, General Motors had been aware that this problem existed, and the proof of this awareness is the fact that GM designed and offered an "up-dated software package" to correct the problem. ---- (Why would they up-date the software package if a problem did not exist?)

QUESTION:
    Why does the consumer, after paying their hard earned money for the vehicle, have to search, and research the "net" for a solution to the operational problem, ---- when a solution does exist, and the manufacturer has not shared that information with the owners?

My other vehicle is a 2007 V6 XLE Toyota Camry. (If you remember, this is the vehicle that was accused of having the unintended acceleration problem.) At the present time, I have 65,000+ miles on this vehicle, and I have NEVER once experienced "unintended acceleration" and / or any other malfunction. ----- Both the selling / servicing dealer and the Toyota Corporation have kept me informed through written communication as to all "up-dates" associated with this vehicle. --- Toyota and the dealer have acted in a professional / responsible / concerned manner.

My LTZ Malibu dealer is OUTSTANDING in terms of service! ---- They go out of their way to find the problem, and to make things right! For that, I am thankful!

Now that my Malibu is operating properly, I can easily achieve 30 mpg on the highway, and on secondary roads I achieve 27 mpg. My complaint is that GM knew about this problem / performance issue, --- based on the 2009 production run of this vehicle line, yet they did nothing about offering this update to their customer base. ---- WHY?

Comparing the two vehicle manufacturers, GM & Toyota, I will leave it to you, the reader, to determine which one is more responsive to the needs of the customer? ----- Will I purchase another GM vehicle? ----- Maybe! ---- At the present time, my 4 cylinder Malibu LTZ operates a good as a 4 cylinder Honda Accord or a 4 cylinder Toyota XLE Camry. ---- I guess time will tell! -------- In 2012 I will be looking to replace the Toyota Camry. To date, I have NOT had any problems with the Camry. The dealer is OUTSTANDING. ----- (Also my Chevrolet dealer is OUTSTANDING.) ---- I will be looking at a Camry, Avalon, Impala, and Malibu. ----- (I like the look of the upper end of the Hyundai line of vehicles, but the dealers in North Jersey are not quality business operations. I will not purchase from them!)

Best regards to everyone. ------------------------ Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
    Hi All:

Today I had my LTZ Malibu at the selling dealer for its 15,000 mile service. ----- This service includes a cleaning of the throttle body, oil and filter change, air filter replacement, and a tire rotation. ----- After the service I took a two hour trip on the highway. I filled up with fuel prior to entering the highway, and according to the "on-board computer" I was getting 32mpg at 60mph. This is a BIG IMPROVEMENT since I experienced the "surging issue" a few weeks ago. I am very happy with the vehicle and my dealer. They have an OUTSTANDING service department. I appreciate everything that they do for me. --------- I would love to see General Motors build a two door version of the LTZ Malibu with a 2.4 Turbo four cylinder engine, dual exhaust (with a small rumble sound like a Ford Mustang), and a six speed manual transmission and a heavy duty hydraulic clutch. ------- This vehicle would look great in a deep cherry exterior with black leather interior.

Best Regards. -------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    edited June 2011
    you basically have it with the Buick Regal CXL turbo, thus you probably will not see it in the Malibu....the Regal has a 2.0L ECOTEC Turbo, pushing 220 HP with 6spd auto trans with sport mode and tap up and down capability or 6 spd manual..price is $34k fully loaded....around $29K basic turbo per GM website....
    Hi Pao:

When I purchased the 2010 four cylinder LTZ Malibu, I also looked at the Buick Regal. ------ The seating in the Regal is NOT as comfortable as the Malibu LTZ. ------ The Regal is basically a "foreign vehicle," as it is manufactured in the Opel plant in Germany. -------- The Regal appears to be a smaller vehicle as compared to the LTZ Malibu. --------- I think a better comparison to the Malibu would be the four cylinder Buick Lacrosse. If Chevrolet would manufacture a two door version of the Malibu, I think it would be a "home run" for GM>

Best regards. ----------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    edited July 2011
    Why did you buy a Malibu in the first place if your Toyota was satisfactory? Most Toyota owners I know are totally dedicated to the brand and the last thing they would buy would be a Chevy. I bought my 2011 LT1 as a cheap temporary (for 4 years) car until I can get a program Cadillac XTS which won't be even out till the spring of 2012.

So far I much prefer driving my Cobalt coupe. It shifts more predictably, handles better and frankly feels like a heavier car which it isn't. It also has gotten over 40mpg on the road. Bottom line it is just more fun to drive. I'll keep it forever. I cannot understand why all the car magazines pan the Cobalt. I rented a Cruze and I wouldn't have one. Wierd shifting, roaring engine, lack of passing power, and an overcomplicated console. You need an electronics degree to figure out how the radio works and God help you if you try and mess with it while driving. At least the Malibu has simple controls. This is why I didn't wait until the new model came out.

Nothing really wrong with my Malibu except rock hard backs of the back seats and no rear armrest. Feels and drives like a typical rental car. I guess I should have ordered a base Lacrosse or a base Avalon -even a used Avalon - as my 'road" car but it is too late now.
    edited July 2011
    Hi dispenser2:

I still own the 2007 XLE Toyota Camry. ----------- I purchased the LTZ Malibu because I thought it was a "cool vehicle!" ---- I liked the looks of the car. ----- I recently read that the 2012 Chevrolet Impala is going to have a 3.6 V6 with a six speed automatic transmission. ----- (This could be very interesting!) ---- I am presently looking for a replacement for my 2007 XLE Camry. ----- It now has 65,000 miles! When it gets near 100,000 miles I will trade it. ----- It will take me about one year to do the necessary research and test drive the vehicles on my short list. ----- Now that my Chevrolet Dealer has fixed the "surging problem" on the Malibu, the vehicle is very enjoyable to drive. ---- I purchased the Malibu as a second vehicle, since I am in sales, and I need two dependable vehicles. ----- My vehicles are my office. ---- I am not loyal to any manufacturer! ------ I will probably look at the following vehicles; ---- Toyota Camry, Toyota Avalon, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Malibu, and Honda Accord . --- My Toyota has been 100% trouble free! ---- I have two GREAT servicing dealers!

Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    I'd look seriously at the Avalon if you are contemplating a high end model in Chevrolet. I owned a 2006 Impala and it was an ok car but the bottom of the seats were too short. My thighs were killing me the last two hours of an 8 hour trip to Denver in 2007. I sold the car shortly thereafter.

The Avalon feels like my 2003 Deville -substantial, rides nicely and has an interior that rivals Lexus. It also gets good gas mileage. If the new Cadillac XTS turns out to be not what I want I'm getting an Avalon for sure.

Actually what I should do is buy a 1966 Impala. The new cars are too low, windows are too narrow, back seat headroom is bad on many models and although they are safe and get good gas mileage it would be nice to get into a 1950 Pontiac or my '56 Ford Victoria with a big front seat, plenty of headroom, and a door that is designed so that you can put your elbow on the windowsill. The Malibu is ok but I look at cars like the Hyundai Sonota and wonder how old you have to be to sit in the back seat and not hit your head on the ceiling.
    Hi Dispencer2:

If I was to purchase my dream car, it would be one of the following; ---- 1957 two door HT Chevrolet Impala, ----- 1955 Ford two door HT Fairlane, or a 1956 Olds two door 98. --------- These were GREAT vehicles.

I look for the following when making a vehicle purchase:

1.) I want a "quality product" for my hard earned money.

2.) I want a manufacturer who is willing to stand behind their product as long as I have the vehicle serviced properly by the dealer.

3.) I want a manufacturer who is willing to stand behind their product under the terms and conditions of the factory extended warranty, if I have the vehicle serviced properly by the dealer.

4.) While I make it a point to change my engine oil and filter at the dealer every 2500 miles, I do not like vehicle manufacturers, who advocate extended oil and filter changes, and then blame the vehicle owner when their engines develop sludge.

5.) There is an American name plate that has major problems with spark plugs blowing out of the aluminum heads, because of a manufacturing defect in the threads of the aluminum heads. ------ (The fix for this is to install threaded steel sleeves to accept spark plugs.) ---- This manufacturer gets out of extended warranty obligations by stating that the extended warranty does not cover spark plugs. ----- This is simply a rip off of the customer!) ---- I would not consider purchasing a vehicle from this manufacturer, ---- (and I happen to like some of their vehicles!)

6.) I want comfortable seats.

7.) I want a professional dealership experience.

8.) I want quality original equipment tires on the vehicle. (My Malibu had poor quality tires from the factory and I had to purchase Michelin tires to correct the problem.) ----- Did GM care NO!

9.) I do not want to deal with a high pressure purchasing experience.

10.) I want access to the customer service people when a problem arises.

11.) I want respect both from the manufacturer and the dealer. ------ ( I would love to purchase a high end Hyundai vehicle, but the dealers in my part of the country leave a lot to be desired.) ------ Prior to purchasing the Malibu, I stopped at a Acura dealer to look at some of their vehicles. ---- While asking questions about one of their more costly vehicles, the sales manager stated; ----- "isn't that a little expensive for your pockets!" ----- (When I shop for a vehicle I shop in jeans.) ------ Even if I wanted an Acura, I would not purchase a vehicle from this dealer. ----- (Note the person making this statement was the "Sales Manager!")

Dealers and Manufacturers a digging their own grave everyday by the way they are handling customers. ----- Their lack of concern and sensitivity is costing them sales everyday. ----- Sometimes I wonder if they truly care!

Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    Hi All:

I am starting to seriously look for a replacement vehicle for my 2007 Toyota Camry V6 XLE. ------- (This process will take me about a year because I take the time to investigate both the vehicle, the manufacturer and the dealer.)

I have been reading about both the new Chevrolet Impala, and the new Chevrolet Malibu. (The Malibu is going to be built on the Buick Lacrosse platform with the Buick four cylinder engine, and the Chevrolet Impala is going to get a 3.6 V6 and a six speed automatic transmission.)

After reading about the new Impala, I started to do a search on the 3.6 V6 engine because I though that I had read about some issues associated with this engine. ----- It seems that there is a problem with the Timing Chain stretching at low mileage. In some cases, this has occurred at 10,000 miles. With this information in mind, I contacted GM and spoke to a customer representative about the timing chain issue. I was told that "IF" I had a specific VIN NUMBER of a vehicle they could tell me "IF" the engine had the new and improved timing chain and which engine plant produced the engine. This tells me two things. ----1.) The problem is real. ---- and ---- 2.) GM is still producing the V6 engine with the old timing chains at some of it's engine facilities. --------- QUESTIONS: ----- What is wrong with this picture? ------ Should I purchase a new Impala and experience this failure, and then have my engine repaired at the dealer at a very low mileage and still be happy with my new vehicle?

This problem has existed for some time. ------ QUESTION: ---- Has GM forgot how to manufacturer and design timing chains? ------ They are producing a NEW Impala and they are shooting themselves in the leg with this engine! ----- Does this make good business sense?

Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    You will note that the LaCrosse weighs about 800 pounds more than the Malibu. One of my problems with the Malibu is that it feels light and not substantial. I sold an 03 Deville and most of my road cars in the past were Buick LeSabres. I had rented a Malibu on some extended trips and liked it but I should have bought a base LaCrosse or even last year's Buick as a program car. I would lose as fortune if I traded it with 1,000 miles so I'll hang onto it until I can get a program Cadillac XTS which I'm sure will feel like a heavy car even though it is the size of the LaCrosse. I wish that I could read some reviews of the XTS. They should start building it this winter.
  • whooleywhooley Member Posts: 1
    So I’m stumped on how this happened.
    I have a 2009 Malibu and just had to replace my tires (and 2 bent rims, Dam steel hubs) and found that my Malibu LT has the rims and tires for a Malibu Hybrid. Now I’m not complaining much because they come with the chrome caps instead of the brushed caps and I like the look of a wider tire. I’m stumped because I have done some searching and all the 2009 Malibu models have the P225/50R17 93S tires except the Hybrid that has the P225/55R17 93S. Now I have ran my VIN # multiple times through different websites and all of them show that I have the LT model not the Hybrid and looking under the hood it is obvious it is not a Hybrid but yet even on my door sticker it states that the car is to have the P225/55R17 93S tires. I guess I can understand typos and straight up mistakes but this just surprised me and threw my tire guy for a loop when he looked up what should be on there and what the sticker said.

Also FYI, I found replacement hubcaps on Amazon for $70 for a full set, where as the dealer wants $120 per cap.

Does anyone have any insight on putting on a cold air intake or any other motor upgrades on the 4 cylinder to get more power out of it?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    edited August 2011
    there are no engine mods that Im aware of to get more power out of the std 4 banger in the malibu.....cold air intake does nothing unless you complete the entire breathing system of the engine to include headers, hi-flow cat, exhaust etc in my experience....simply adding a CAI gives you "growl" more than anything else.....more power means the V-6 in this line....

This engine isnt meant for tuning IMHO....

As far as tire and rim mixup....would attribute it to just that..perhaps when that car was assembled they were short the standard set so simply put on the "hybrid" set....the size difference specified is inconsequential for this car...nothing more than a guess however on how or why it occurred
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited August 2011
    I received an invitation from a local Chevy dealer guaranteeing a trade-in allowance of $15,255 on my 2008 Malibu LS. When I got there I was told that this promotion was run by Black Book and that the amount quoted in the invitation was merely designed to get me into the showroom.

After making us wait, (and wait, and wait) and haggling with the salesman and sales manager for over three hours, we left in disgust. In short, they would not honor the trade-in price nor would they sell the new car at less than MSRP.

What do you think, should I report this dealer to the Massachusetts Department of Consumer Protection? or at least to GM? I thought the blatant practice of bait and switch was illegal but this Chevy dealer did not seem to care.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    That's the kind of situation that should be reported. With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been interesting to walk in and not mention the invitation or trade-in promise, find a car on the lot that interested you, get their pricing, and then present the offer you received. It would have been even better if you had someone with you from the Office of Consumer Protection or some similar agency.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    I agree .That should be reported .Hopefully a GM customer service rep will see this here and take some action :(
    Ever since I was a little kid -and I'm 70, my family got those mailers -"We have a buyer for your 19XX Chevrolet/ Olds etc". When you got to the dealer it was the same as above. This is NOT bait and switch. This is a dealer who is a crook and you shouldn't have even bothered with him once you discovered that he wan't going to give you $15k for your Malibu. The $15k come on was not worth the gas to drive over to the dealer. If you are VERY lucky you will get loan value. Check at the library for a NAPA Blue Book for loan value. This is the amount a buyer would get from a bank for your car and it isn't $15k when a new base model is only about $19k with the current rebates/discounts.

I don't deal with dealers who play games nor do I deal with any company that speeds up the "small print" in a radio ad. At my dealership the sales manager sits down at a computer with me - orders the car for a couple hundred over invoice, factors in rebates, and I pay him when the car comes in. It takes about 10 minutes if that and I can also take care of this on the phone. Why people "haggle" or spend hours in a showroom messing with sales people who know less about the cars than they do and have no authority to make any deal is beyond me.

Find a small dealership in the country with a low overhead and make friends. You won't have a large selection to choose from but buying a car off the lot is stupid unless it is too late in the model year to order one or the car on the lot has EXACTLY what you would order. The dealer isn't going to discount the car just because it is on his lot unless it is the end of the year or unless it is a demo.
  • mjs12mjs12 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of buying a 2009 Malibu 2LT from a dealership. After reading some of the issues that this car has, I'm having second thoughts. Before I drop over $14,000 on this car, I would appreciate some feedback. I did take it on a short test drive and it performed well. Is there anythng that I need to know before I go back to the dealership tomorrow??
    Info on the car-
    32,000 miles
    sunroof, heated seats, wood accent trim
    2.4 liter
    not sure if it has the 6 speed or 4 speed trans.
    There is a carfax, but I have not seen it yet.
  • starrmalibustarrmalibu Member Posts: 11
    I have had my used 2008 Malibu for almost 2 years. It had 40K when I got it. The only problems I've had have been electronic and the dealership has covered all of it, even after it was not longer in warrantee. I don't think it gets very good mileage though. I hear the new one, I don' remember the name, gets much better mileage. But it's a smaller car. Mine has the same engine as yours, but it's an automatic, I'm not sure about my transmission. Yours is a lot fancier than mine. I only paid 11K for mine (before all those charges they put on. Mine is a certified used car. I suggest you get one that is certified. Mine came with the regular warrantee that a new car comes with, and they extended parts of it.
  • mjs12mjs12 Member Posts: 2
    I was able to give mine a longer test drive today, it drove great. The only issue that i had was at 60mph and above, it has a low humming sound coming from somewhere in the car. It may be the tires,(Firestone) but i told the salesperson that i need it to go away before i buy this vehicle. Being that it's still under warranty, he said that thy would make it right. I'll find out more on Tuesday.
    I agree with what you told them. When I bought my car (it had 40K on it) they fixed everything except the people that had it before scratched the chevy emblem on the steering wheel. I didn't notice that was not fixed til I started to drive away with the car. They told me it was attached to the stupid air bag and could not be removed wihtout replacing the air bag. It bugs me to this day but I can understand them not wanting to replace the air bag. Have them check the tires carefully. At just under 60K my tires started coming apart. I don't know how long I've kept tires before, but I had to replace two at the beginning of a month and two at the end. It was weird. I hope you enjoy the car. The only thing I don't like about mine is it does not have fancy hubcaps or wheels. And I don't know how to find some.
    Hi Everyone. I bought my white Malibu used and it came with very plain hubcaps. I assumed I could buy fancier ones, but Chevy, I'm told does not make them for this size Malibu. I think my wheels are 16 inches. Since they have an open look, I'm told if I buy after market ones I should buy ones that are open to let something get air. Does anyone know where I can get sharp looking hubcaps. I don't know where to look, and really feel the car needs to be dressed up. The hubcaps or wheels really make a difference. I can't afford thousands for real wheels. (I think that's what they're called.) Also, has anyone had stripes put on their Malibu. Mine is white and I think I'd like blue stripes to give it more personality. My old Sunfire even though it had hubcaps and not real wheels, had really nice hubcaps that gave it personality. I also liked it's color better, but they did not have any used red Malibus in the whole state at the time
    Thanks.
    Another thought. There will be a new Impala in 14. I owned a 2006 Impala LT2 for a year or so until I took an 8 hour trip to Denver in it. The last three hours were agony because the seats are too short and there is no thigh support. Talk about aches! I dumped the car as soon as I got back -drove my Cadillac DeVille until I bought the 11 Malibu. I've taken it on some long 8 hour trips and the seats are just fine. I wouldn't dream of recommending an Impala. Nice car and rides ok but the seats are a real problem on long trips.
  • rockjaderockjade Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used LTZ with 42K miles which was working perfectly. All of a sudden one morning, it would not start up at all. The problem was diagnosed to be a faulty/erased?? control board and body control model which I had replaced. Now everything ie lights, horn, wiper, comes back on once the key is turned in the ignition, but the engine will still not start. There is also no sound from the radio.

How can this be fixed??
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Take it back, tell them not fixed.
  • csmjvhcsmjvh Member Posts: 2
    You can remove and replace that emblem. I did it when my GF's kid threw a matchbox car and dented mine. It is attached via metal tabs that wrap around the plastic.

I ordered a replacement emblem on Ebay and then used a pick to pull the old one up. You will have to pull up on it pretty hard to unbend the clips and the old one will be trashed. I shortened the tabs on the new emblem by clipped them since you will not be able to bend it under the plastic and set the new one in place of the old one. It is pretty secure once set in place.

The solution was much better than the price the dealer gave me.
  • cometa89cometa89 Member Posts: 1
    Hello.. Wondering if u ever got this problem fixed?! If you did please notify me how! Please im having big problems with my car
  • rogerdoger45rogerdoger45 Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday my dad went to turn off his 2010 Malibu and he noticed that his head lights would not turn off. He got back into the car and turned it back on, he then noticed that the check engine light was on, as well as the ABS, and low tire air light. His Security light may have also stayed on as well. The only way he could shut everything down was by disconnecting the battery. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know what could cause this to happen? :confuse: :confuse:
  • csmjvhcsmjvh Member Posts: 2
    I would recommend he take his car to an Autozone and have them check the battery and charging system. I was having problems with my TPMS sensors and check engine light coming on. I fought with the dealer as they said everything was working properly. The dealer said my car battery dying, the mechanic showed me that it the amps were not up there. The voltage was fine. I took it to autozone and replaced the car battery and all the problems went away. I guess the low amp condition can cause alot of issues with the computer.
    :)
  • rockjaderockjade Member Posts: 2
    Had the Electronic Control Model reprogrammed...worked in my case.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    cometa89,

Is your Malibu also a 2009? Let us know if we can check into anything further on this with your involved dealership (if applicable), or if you want for us to get you warranty or recall information. We can be contacted by email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    rogerdoger45,
    While I as a customer service representative don't have access to much technical information, if you decided to work with a GM dealership we're here to help you in that process. Please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with further information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

• loril744loril744 Member Posts: 1
    Dwayne, I bought a USED 2010 Chevy Malibu w/28,000 miles on it and it does the same thing ( I will never buy Chevy again... back to Hyundai ) I have driven the car 10,000 miles in 2 years and the same thing happens to my car. What I need to know is... How much did it cost you to fix the problem?? Also What exactly do I ask for to get it fixed??? Please help this single mom. thanks Lori
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Your car should still be under warranty, no? It should not cost you anything.

Good luck with Hyundai. They make cars that are Walmart specials, built to a price, with little refinement or long-term quality. Truly disposable cars.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Lori, I bought a certified used Malibu in 2010 that was 2 years old. My dealer has covered everything that has gone wrong for free, even things no longer under warantee that they feel should not have happened. I am missing something as you say "does the same thing" maybe referring to someone else's post that does not appear. Call your Chevy dealer service department. If you are not satisfied, talk to their owners. But I have been so satisfied with my dealer. Even though my car is not new, they have given me free oil changes, just like a new car.
    loril744,
    If you have questions about whether or not your vehicle is still covered by warranty, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more information, including the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN and mileage.

• uncledewey1uncledewey1 Member Posts: 25
    My 2008 Malibu LTZ's dashboard lights go to various stages from bright, dim, or off. There seems to be no pattern and it is really bad when off and dim is not that great either. I have the adjustment control as bright as possible. I hate to bring it to the garage as it will surely be on bright when I'm there and they will say working as designed, Does anyone have any advice or maybe experienced the same thing?

Thanks, Uncle Dewey
    uncledewey1,
    As a customer service representative, I am limited in my ability to troubleshoot. If you do decide to bring it in for evaluation, please keep us posted! We can follow up on that visit or assist in matters of warranty or recall concerns, and our email address is socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).
    Hi Sarah,

I have some personal problems, but will have to take it in soon as it is a real danger not being able to see key items on the dash. I do shift down and need to know where I am, plus speed etc. I will let you know what happens.

Tx for your interest. Uncle Dewey
  • gmfornow3gmfornow3 Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2013
    I am having trouble finding a repair shop that will quote me a front brake job with the OEM semi-metallic brake pads, expect the Chevy dealer. All the other are quoting me with ceramic pads. When I check all the major after market auto parts companies online, they also have no semi-metallic pads for this car. Are others having this issue? Which pads are performing better, ceramic or semi-metallic? I am worried about too much heat on the rotors if I switch to ceramic.
  • bnsfjimbnsfjim Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Owned a 2008 Malibu LT 4 cyl since new. Has developed power steering issue with car jerking steering wheel to the right and left will happen when sitting still or moving. Noticed several complaints on internet of same thing is there a recall on this.
    Hello bnsfjim,

I am sorry you are experiencing an issue with power steering. If you email us at socialmedia(at)gm.com and include your VIN and current mileage in your message, we are more than happy to check if your vehicle has any open recalls associated. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
    Hi Again Sarah,

The lights have continued to be intermittently dim. Lately it happens primarily when I start out for the first time in any given day. However, I've been able to ignore it as they usually become bright within a block of driving. Today, however the lights stayed dim for a long time and I had to drive on an expressway. It was very disconcerting as I could not see my speedometer at all. If I removed my sunglasses I could see the lights were on, but very dim. As it happened I was going to the Chev garage, but of course, they were okay by the time I got there.

I was more concerned about the problem at hand and never even thought about talking to the service manager. I guess I should call him to see if he would look for any service bulletin or if he has any idea of what could cause the problem.

If you have any other ideas I could use them.

Thanks a bunch, Uncle Dewey
  • gmfornow3gmfornow3 Member Posts: 17
    On my 2008 Malibu with 96,000 miles, had a windshield wiper transmission failure at 60 mph in heavy rain. The rain paused long enough for me to find auto parts store with RainX. That allowed me to drive home in the rain without wipers.
    The Malibu is a TOTAL piece of junk! -- I am coming to the end of my extended warranty, and I will trade it for as new Toyota four cylinder XLE Camry! ---- No more Chevrolet Vehicles for me! ----- GM should have crushed all the Malibu vehicles right at the end of their assembly line. It would have been cost efficient! The four cylinder engine is crude. The transmission is a toy! (It forgets how to downshift and upshift.) There is a vibration in the front end at 55 to 65 mph that the dealers cannot fix! The vehicle is a "death trap!" Driving the Malibu is an adventure. You never know what will malfunction on a given day! The total vehicle is a joke on wheels! GM tried to copy a Honda Accord and they failed! Do not purchase a Malibu! You work too hard for your money! ---- Dwayne