Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Rondo Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    smoothsailinsmoothsailin Member Posts: 73
    I visited Kia U.S.'s website yesterday and much to my dismay realized they're now offering the same $4k mfg's rebate toward most versions of the '09 Rondo that they were offering for remaining '08 models just last month (note: the '08 promotion supposedly ended on March 31).
    :(

Had I anticipated this might happen I would have waited for the '09's to arrive in lieu of purchasing our '08 just over 5 weeks ago. Of course, at the time Kia was only offering $2.5k rebates toward '09 Rondos & $1.5k more for '08 models. Along with some changes in the options list, for '09 both the 4 and 6-cylinder engines gained several hp. The 4-cylinder models now generate 175 hp (just 7 hp less than pre-09 V-6 models produced) while 6-cylinder models also gained 10 hp for a total of 192..

Also, the knowlege that our "new" '08 with just over 1k miles has already depreciated by one model year when we could have purchased an '09 for about the same $$ just a few weeks later is disappointing to say the least. :sick:

Although so far I've been quite pleased with our '08 Rondo, one issue I failed to recognize before purchasing our car was the manufacture date.

Our Rondo's mfg date wasDecember '07, whic means it probably sat out in the weather and under the sun on a dealer's lot for at least year before we purchased it in late February.

Note that we test drove and negotiated to purchase the car all in the same evening (after dark). Shortly affter taking delivery I noticed how some of the black painted and powder-coated surfaces looked a bit flat and dull. After realized the car's mfg date I now believe this may be indicative of how long the car may have sat outside in the weather before we purchased it.

Contrastingly, similar black surfaces on my '05 Mazda3 (which I've owned for over 4 years) are still glossy and look like new since I generally keep my car covered when its not driven.

I've come to realize that shielding your possessions from the damaging effects of the weather and sun's uv rays can really cut down on the rate of deterioration of painted and plastic surfaces outside and inside.

Oh well...
  • Options
    rondoloverrondolover Member Posts: 2
    Hi, njmom91
    We also compared Rondo & Mazda5, in the beginning we like both, but after test drive we selected Rondo because Rondo has bigger room, V6 2.7 engine( mazda5 only 2.3 v4).
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I went to the Kia Motors web site and only saw a rebate for the 08 models good through 6-1-09 for $4000.00. I'd be shocked if they offered the same rebate on the 09's since they haven't been out that long.
  • Options
    Interesting. Just checked Kia's web site and found they're only offering $750 off '09s and $4k off remaining 08's. However, I clicked on the following link from my dealer's website and was was left w/the impression that the $4k rebate would also apply to some '09 models.

You be the judge:

http://www.paylessatpencekia.com/specials.aspx?type=oem&subtype=cash&year=2009&m- - - - - - - - ake=Kia&model=Rondo

After looking a little closer I guess the $4k rebate may apply to '08 models. However, when viewing the information at the above link, this is not clear indicated...at least not to me. The only references I see there are to '09 models. However since the $750 rebate is associated w/some models I'm assuming the $4k rebate may only apply to remaining '08 models. Sadly, just last month they were offering $2.5k rebates off most '09 Rondos

Sorry for the confusion. In any case, I feel better about purchasing a '08 now!

I've also noted that some changes in the standard equipment offered w/the LX models for '09 vs '08 and in some ways they've taken a step back imo.

For example, my '08 LX V6 has the 16" alloy wheels and body colored outside mirrors as standard equipment.

Contrastingly, for '09 you have to purchase an options package that includes heated seats to get the 16" alloys in lieu of 16' steel wheels on an LX. Also instead of body-colored outside mirrors, for '09 LX models are now equipped w/black mirrors. On the other hand, looks like '09 LX models now have 6-speaker stereos standard vs 4-speakers standard on my '08.

For a '09 LX V6 comparably equipped to my '08 MSRP is about $700 more than was my '08...but the price difference would include the heated seats option packaged with the alloy wheels. I've also noted that the third row seat option for the LX is now prices $150 more than it was for '08 ($650 vs $500). However, the third row is now standard on EX models and so are leather seat trim.

All in all, if I was planning to purchase an '09 I'd probably choose an EX over an LX since you seem to get a lot more extras in exchange for the $1.8 k difference in price over a standard LX now.
  • Options
    larrytbmlarrytbm Member Posts: 10
    Using a nationwide website, I found very few Rondos within 500 miles, regardless of yr or trim level. From the KIA USA web site, I also located all KIA dealers within Texas and couldn't find a single '09 like I wanted ( loaded, White with Beige leather), but found a single '08 over 400 miles away. From the national website, I would have had to travel over 1200 miles for the same vehicle or search more dealer websites from outside Texas. MSRP was $24189 and the dealer took off $700, so I paid about $1000 over invoice which isn't such a great price. But the dealer gave me exactly what my trade in was worth. Then considering the same '09 will have an MSRP that is $1500 more, plus the $1700 rebate, plus 60 mo. 0% financing saves about $2600 in interest, I really saved about $5800 compared to an identical '09, so I'm satisfied.

So, we had dinner with a brother-in-law on Friday and 10 min. after leaving, they called to say their car broke down (second time this year) and could we take them home (40 miles in the opposite direction). So, a BMW 7 Series owner riding home in a Rondo, priceless.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you're happy w/the deal negotiated for your Rondo, but if you only managed to get the dealer to knock $700 off the MSRP of $24,189 for a '08 you probably paid too much imo.

Contrastingly, I supposedly paid "dealer invoice" for mine which was ~ $1.7k below my Rondo's MSRP of ~ $20.7k. Yet based some of the deals others have posted here believe I probably still paid too much! So for a fully loaded '08 Rondo you should have been able to get $2-3k off MSRP before the rebate imo.

Your cost in time lost and $$ to make a 400 mile round trip to pick up your car is another factor which you may not have considered.

I'm curious though: did you get 0% financing for 60 months through Kia? If so, either I was lied to by my dealer or similar offers did not apply in my area.
    I ended up financing the car through my state employees' credit union @ around 5%. Also unlike you my dealer was unwilling to make what I felt was a fair offer for my trade-in which I'm planning to sell privately after April 15.
  • Options
    I'd say yes! What was the MSRP for your car?
  • Options
    Your cost in time lost and $$ to make a 400 mile round trip to pick up your car is another factor which you may not have considered.

Retired, so no lost time and less than $40 in fuel.

I'm curious though: did you get 0% financing for 60 months through Kia? If so, either I was lied to by my dealer or similar offers did not apply in my area.
    I ended up financing the car through my state employees' credit union around 5%.

I didn't even call the credit union til on the road and was approved at 4.75% before arrival. Got the Kia 0% approved at the dealer in just a few min., but this may not be available in all areas.

No doubt there are better "deals" for those with more flexiability in colors and options, I could have gotten the same car in town for less, but Black on Black, not for me in Texas at any price. So, for me I would have paid much more for the right '09 and/or traveled much further, probably by air w/o the possibility of the trade-in, and dealt with multiple state license and tax issues.
  • Options
    njmom91njmom91 Member Posts: 21
    After over a week of looking, I cannot find any 2008's with third row seats in the NJ (NYC) metro area. I'm limited how far afield I can go so I'm off to look at the 2009's. Wish I had decided to car shop a month ago!
    I did go to a dealership (Fette) that said they had some in stock only to be told they didn't so I walked out. Flipped the salesman out (who was not the one I had spoken too, he was not in yet). Oh well, their loss.
  • Options
    rondoloverrondolover Member Posts: 2
    I bought at LA, I am sure in your area you can find dealer who has the 2008 ex v6. please fill a online quote, then for sure at least three dealer around you will send you information of 2008 rondo ex v6/third row seat. you can read my experience of rondo buying experience at squidoo.com/rondoormazda5.
  • Options
    boskbosk Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2008 Kia Rondo EX V-6 with Third Row for about $13,150 a few days ago. This was in Southern Massachusetts and there are a couple dealers left with several left. I talked to 3 different dealers in Mass that had 08's left, 2 of them were close in price and the other was a little more. The one I purchased from still had 5 left all EX V6 with 3rd row. Another dealer had similar amount but not sure if they all had 3rd row.

Also another dealer who sold out the 08's was advertising '09 LX with 4 cylinder for $18,000.
  • Options
    garnermikegarnermike Member Posts: 72
    I own an '07 Rondo LX (17K miles now), and have noticed that I can get a 2008 now for $14k locally. But the price you paid for a V-6 EX is truly a steal!

I haven't had a single thing go amiss with mine since taking delivery in Oct. 2007. I paid $16K. I still don't think I'd opt for the V-6 because my mpg has gotten significantly better since passing 15K miles (general driving now up to 26.5 mpg), and, for some unknown reason, the car's acceleration has gotten better.

Just added the Kia aftermarket roof crossbars 'cause, unlike most of vehicles I buy, I have no plans to replace this Rondo for a good while. Maybe the best car I have owned in terms of overall room, drive quality, and mpg. And I've owned some 25 cars (mostly new) in my life so far....
  • Options
    All I can say is "wow". Congratulations on scoring an awesome deal on a '08 EX V-6!

Clearly even though I only paid ~74% of MSRP for my '08 LX V-6, apparently that was still too much.

Oh well...live and learn. :(

So far we're still pleased w/the car in any case.
  • Options
    stewpidasostewpidaso Member Posts: 45
    6% sales tax, $15.5K OTD
    We like it, great grocery getter!
  • Options
    trdsddtrdsdd Member Posts: 14
    Hi -

We've narrowed our search down to a Kia Rondo or a Mazda 5, and are really leaning hard toward a 2008 Kia Rondo. Would you mind if I asked the dealer that still had 5 EX's with 3'rd row left. We'll be in the Mass area in a week and I'd love to pick one up for even close to the price you got. We're in central new york, and I'd have to do some things with temp tags and etc, but it would be worth it for us.

Thanks
    D2
  • Options
    Hi -

We're buying a 2008 EX V6 Urban Gray/Gray with 3'rd MSRP 21895 for 14,395 + TTT.
    I think it was the last one that they had with 3'rd row. I'll check for sure on Saturday if anyone is interested. Just post a reply if you are, and I'll get the info when I'm there.

Thanks
    D2
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    A look at kbb.com for a used 08 rondo with average miles shows a trade in value of $8500 for the LX auto version (msrp $18500). This is what the 09 bought new will trade in for in about 12 months. I doubt if a $21000 msrp model has a 08 trade in exceeding $10000.

Even 5000 off msrp is nothing to write home about on these vehicles. Depending on whether you can pick up a new 09 18k model for $13000 or less, you may want to consider the M5,M3hatch, Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix.

Good luck
    --jjf
    I
  • Options
    rondo2009rondo2009 Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted $11,700 + TTL for a new 2008 Rondo LX automatic V4, with those following options : CONVENIENCE PACKAGE BUMPER STEP PROTECTOR CARPETED FLOOR MATS CARGO TRAY WHEEL LOCKS ( MSRP $19200). Please let me know if this is a good deal? Thanks alot :)
  • Options
    There are about 300 or so messages in this forum the last 3 years. It is not very active. You may want to just read the last 20 or so messages. If you could do the 09 for $13000 or so I would go there.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    njmom91njmom91 Member Posts: 21
    Sorry for the late reply.
    The dealership I walked out of was one who had replied with a 'quote' for a 2008 with a third row seat through Edmunds. When I got there they had none on hand, said they didn't even have any 2009 on hand with third row but they could find one for me. I was not going to deal with them after their dishonesty to start so, as I said, I walked.
    Two other dealerships also said there were none in the area, neither were willing to negotiate a deal on a 2009. (one even said 'here's the deal I can give to you!' and quoted me sticker price. When I pointed that out he said he couldn't negotiate on a 2009 Rondo, but maybe I'd be interested in a 2008 Sedona).
    I got so frustrated with the dealerships/salesmen I jumped to the 'other' car discussed as very similar on this forum. Happy with my choice so far.
  • Options
    After buying the M3, Vibe or Matrix, another $13k will buy a Smart Car so that a total of 7 people can be transported. The Rondo 3rd row is both suprisingly comfortable and ez to use compared to the RAV4, Outlander or even larger 7 pass. vehicles. We have used ours with good results. Or for cargo, the Rondo can carry more than any of the others mentioned. There is nothing good about buying a vehicle at a good price that doesn't meet the buyers needs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. We had tried a number of vehicles out and based on our current family needs it came down to the M5 and the Rondo. We needed a usable 3'rd row seat and did not want a large vehicle. My wife and I both preferred the Rondo. We like the driving position better, the ability to have our right foot in a comfortable position, and the general feel of the Rondo better than the M5. The other pluses were the Rondo had heated mirrors, traction and stability control. For almost 2 weeks I had hunted around and searched websites/contacted dealers within about a 5 hour radius for the best deal on an 08 or 09 Rondo. The best I could find on an 09 LX or EX was 2550 below MSRP. We picked up our Urban Gray / Gray 08 EX V6 with 3’rd row and cross bars on Saturday. At 7500 off MSRP I think we did pretty well. I really do not worry about depreciation, since we keep our cars a long time. The Rondo is a replacement for my 82,000 mile 98 Dodge Avenger ES that was in an accident 2 weeks ago. That's why I moved faster than I normally do on buying a vehicle. Anyway, we were planning on replacing it in August - October, but we ended up doing it sooner. It’s so much easier to get a 2 yr old in and out of our new Rondo.

D2
  • Options
    fuelmizer1fuelmizer1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all just bought a 2008 LX V6 from a Honda dealership in So Cal. The vehicle was a prior rental with 16,500 mi. Exceptionally clean. $12,200 Other than the ac compressor/oil pump knocking issue, no problems to report after 5 days. lol
  • Options
    tourist1292tourist1292 Member Posts: 31
    I can only get one at $5400 below MSRP on a 08 Rondo EX V6 Premium with leather option. It is the last one in my area that came with the last shipment of 2010 Soul. There was one I got quoted in March for a few hundreds less but the moon roof was aftermarket installed and I was hesitated. I am paying about last week's Truecar average cost which is around $3000 less than the overall average. Anyway, it is still over $3000 less than the 2009 model and there is no 09 EX available in my area yet. I am going to pick it up tonight.
  • Options
    kasikinkasikin Member Posts: 14
    Tourist,

That is about what I paid for my the same version of the car a month and a half ago. They gave me a little more than I thought they would on my trade in, but I still didn't get as great a deal as a number of others on these forums have.

That said, I'm extremely happy with what I got for what I paid. I had to have 3 rows, I wanted leather, I enjoy the upgraded stereo, the sun roof, I'm using the cross bars.....I paid less for this car than any of the previous 3 cars my husband and I have bought over the last 13 years and in many ways, I like it the best of all of them.
  • Options
    It seems we got exactly the same options. Do you have rear bumper guard too? It definitely has a lot more features and power than my previous car bought 13 years ago while it costs only 10% more. Mine is silver/black, what color is yours?
  • Options
    Hi Tourist -

Where are you located? I picked mine up in Glenns Falls. They are out of 08's right now. Anyway, a friend of mine is now looking for one too. He searched the web and told me today that Shorkey Kia outside of Pittsburgh has over 100 2008's listed as in stock. I'm not sure if he is serious about buying one, but if you are near there it might be worth it to give them a call.

peace
    D2
  • Options
    Hi D2,
    I am in SE Michigan. There is actually another one available besides mine, but that has been in the show room for quite some time and has been test driven a lot. There must be a reason why it is still there. While the one I got was shipped just a few weeks ago. I will be surprised if there are that many left in Pittsburgh. There were only 3 EX left with the config I want in the whole Michigan state a couple months ago. Anyway, thank you very much for your info.
  • Options
    Yes I have the rear bumper guard too - I also have an upper spoiler, but not the lower. This was the only 3 row 2008 left at the 3 dealers in my area and I took it as it came. It is black cherry on the outside with grey interior. I feel lucky to have found this particular version of the car. In addition to having all of the options I wanted, it is extremely quiet and does not pull or drift!!
  • Options
    HI tourist1292 and kasikin,

How do you like the rear bumper guard? I have not seen one on a rondo in person. I have seen similar ones on other kia models and they seem to be plastic. Is the rondo's rubber or plastic? Yeah, I also thought there was no way that that pittsburgh area dealer had soo many 2008's in stock. I checked their website and they do have 75 listed as in stock. So hopefully it is accurate and he can get a great deal if he gets off the fence about buying one.

Mine is also extremely quiet and no drift. : )

Have a great weekend and enjoy the new rides.

D2
  • Options
    Well, I just picked up the car less than 24hr ago, but I do recommend that bumper guard. It looks rubber to me but I may be wrong. I'll have to check it out at home tonight. I had a Saturn wagon before that (just sold today) and I always had concern in scratching the bumper. It is $55-$65 as an option but over $72 after market. Some other accessories (e.g. cargo tray) can be cheaper after market. I just ordered mud guards and a few other things on the web.
    I found mine to be quiet and no drift too. I am very pleased with the purchase so far. It is indeed a great value to get one over $3800 below invoice although mine is not the cheapest. Considering the regular price of Kia to be a value choice, the after incentive price is really insane.
  • Options
    Just checked. the bumper guard is plastic not rubber.
  • Options
    Tourist1292 -

Conrats on the new Rondo. : ) I've had mine a week and love it. Thanks for the information on the bumper guard. I think I am going to order one on-line. We have a 28 month old son that I'm sure will want to use the bumper as a step real soon.

peace
    D2
  • Options
    The cargo tray is useful too and it is only ~$55. The place I ordered from charged $8 handling per order while shipping is free. You may want to get both at the same time.
  • Options
    I like the bumper guard as well and think it looks high quality, even though plastic. I'm interested in hearing about the cargo tray. I went with rubber mats from Kmart for the cargo area, about $10 a piece. They don't completely cover the cargo area but each one covers a folded down seatback. I was concerned if I had the cargo tray in place and somehow ended up needing to use one or both of the third row seats, I wouldn't really have a place to put it. The mats fold up and fit easily behind the third row.

Let me know tourist after you get the cargo tray if it is easy to store in the car with the third row up. I'd love to have one.
  • Options
    garnermikegarnermike Member Posts: 72
    I've had the cargo tray since owning the car 1.5 years ago. I rarely use the rear seats, so I like the tray because of its fit and look. No question it protects the rear floor very well. But I never found a place to stow it when the rear seats had to be used.

I also have had the bumper guard a while. It is vinyl. It is also absolutely necessary if you are hauling things and care about the exterior condition of your Rondo. That ledge will get nicked/scratched/dinged over time w/o the guard. Even if you personally are careful, you'll have lots of riders or helpers unloading who won't be.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, that's what I suspected. I often end up with stray kids :surprise: in my vehicle so it probably won't work for me.
  • Options
    Hi Kaskin -

My wife wants to make a cargo type mat for the Rondo. She is currently using the one she made 5 yrs ago for her Element. She bought a 4 pack of those puzzle piece type floor mats at Big Lots for about $10. They look like these link title . They currently lay flat in the back in a double level. If we need to haul anything big, we lift the second row seats and lay a level of mats down. I'm not sure if it would work for the rondo because the space behind the third row is so narrow and we may end up with 4 levels of mats back there when the 3rd row is in use.

peace
    D2
  • Options
    Hi -

Many thanks to everyone for the replies and reviews on the rear bumper protector. I'm going to be ordering one this weekend along with the mud guards.

have a great day/weekend
    D2
  • Options
    I got the mud guards too. The price range is big though. I got them for $17.xx per pair.
  • Options
    Hi -

if you bought them online would you mind if I asked for the site? The cheapest I've been able to find was 29 per pair at savage in sinking spring pa.
  • Options
    I am not sure if I can post the site here. But it is kiacarparts.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. There price is great and I bought them tonight.

Have a great weekend

D2
  • Options
    That looks like it could make a pretty nice mat, let me know how it works out. It also looks like it could double as a sleeping pad.

Warning, this is off topic, but -

My 2 younger kids and I like to go camping. We have a big tent which is great but too much work for a one night trip, so we are going to try sleeping in the Rondo when we go for one night. We fit pretty nicely and it is fairly comfortable just on top of sleeping bags, but your idea seems like an inexpensive way to make it a little more comfortable. I bought these things called magna screens that allow you to leave the windows open for air while keeping the bugs out. I think I'm going to look into those mats before we go.

Enjoy your Memorial Day.
  • Options
    glitch1glitch1 Member Posts: 26
    My local area doesn't seem to have any '08 Rondos. I'm curious what people's experiences are with buying '09 Rondos? I would be looking at a 4-cylinder LX. Today, the local dealer was going for around $18K, but I did not make an offer, since I was unable to commit to buying right away.
  • Options
    Keep in mind the 09 Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (same car) well equipped at $19500 or so msrp are selling for about 15k or less . About 16k for the Mazda5. All of them sell used in their 08 trade in values about $12000. The Mazda3 hatch 09 sells for about $16000 also, with the 09 Hyundai Elantra touring possibly in the 14000's.

The 09 Kia Rondo auto Lx well equipped has a 08 used trade in value of about 9000 in kbb.com. This is what the 09 will be worth in 12 months. So we wanna be buying the 09 Rondo used in the $12-13000 range, or just looking at something else, unless we really really want a Rondo.

Good luck
    jjf

My local area doesn't seem to have any '08 Rondos. I'm curious what people's experiences are with buying '09 Rondos? I would be looking at a 4-cylinder LX. Today, the local dealer was going for around $18K, but I did not make an offer, since I was unable to commit to buying right away.
  • Options
    If trade in values are important to you, the previous post is relevant. Some of us drive our cars for 200,000 plus miles and don't worry about trade in values.
  • Options
    I never trade my cars in and have driven all my cars over 10 years (15+ with my current vehicle now).

It seems when you sell/trade your Rondo within the first few years, you are flushing 5 years worth of power-train warranty down the toilet. This is significant value that is part of your Kia if you keep the car, but thrown away if you sell it. So if the trade-in value is $10K, it's actually worth $10K to someone else, but maybe worth $12K to you, since keeping it allows you to retain a great warranty.
  • Options
    Glitch - where are you located? There is a dealer in my area, Chicagoland, with several 09s in stock at what seems to be reasonable asking prices.
  • Options
    Hi Kasikin,
    I am located in Portland, OR. May I ask what the dealers in your area are asking for an LX 4 cylinder? I have one dealer here getting down to the low $16K.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.