Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Grand Caravan Steering

Comments

• crablandcrabland Member Posts: 2
    My van just started making the same noise. I was told to add pwer steering fluid until the part arrived. Which they said was about 6 weeks. I have a 2005 Dodge mini van and the three year/30,000 milage warranty is covering the replacement part.
  • dadto3dadto3 Member Posts: 17
    Finally got my van into another dealer for a 2nd opinion. Found the steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaced. Will take 2-3 weeks to get the part in. They topped off my steering fluid and today is the first day I haven't had the whining noise. Luckily I'm still under warranty....
  • ginadiginadi Member Posts: 2
    Hi~ I have a 2004 DGC SE 80,000 miles. I recently had a new h20 pump, tranny flush, and the recalled hose fixed. But, over the past week or so when I start it the car seems to whine? and it louder then usual. Also, when turning the steering wheel right or left it seems to howl?? Not sure what to do, so any suggestions would be great.. Don't really want to take it in as I just spent 600 bucks on it!!! Thanks so much - Gina
  • bjssbjss Member Posts: 51
    Based on other posts with the same symptoms, it sounds like the steering rack needs to be replaced.
  • dodgeman7dodgeman7 Member Posts: 17
    Whoa... Slow down there bjss!

Gina,
    If you would read the entire forum on this problem with DGC, you would find out that a simple fix might be the replacement of the power steering reservoir. The part is only $25.00 or so and could be installed in less than an hour if you don't mind getting your hands dirty like me. The only hard part was the 10mm bolt behind the reservoir. I didn't know it was there until I thought I had all the bolts off and still it did not come out. The back bolt you just have to loosen it then it just comes off. The dealer quoted me $178.00 to fix it. Sure beats the $600+ to have the rack replaced and the loss of time waiting on the part to arrived at the dealer. Either way it's still cheaper than the rack job. The reservoir can be picked up the same day.

Only if it still makes noise would I go with bjss statement of getting the rack & pinion checked out or replaced.
    There is a good chance that the replacement of the power steering reservoir will do the trick like it did for mine and a lot of others I've helped out.

I fixed my '03 DGC with 80,000+ miles on it by changing out the power steering reservoir over a year ago and no noise came back. Let me tell you mine was pretty bad and noisy before replacing it and the dealer also told me that the rack might need to be replaced. Then a mechanic there at the dealer told me it's the power steering reservoir without even hearing my van make any noise. He told me a lot of them have been replaced and fixed the whine.

Good luck and I'm putting my money on the reservoir being the culprit.
    :shades:
  • bjssbjss Member Posts: 51
    Good point dodgeman7! Didn't mean the jump the gun. I hope it's the reservoir too! : ;)
  • seacrestisseacrestis Member Posts: 1
    Thanks so much for the info! I have had the same problem for about 6 months on my 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan (83,000 miles). Dealer told me it was a "design flaw" that allowed too much air into the lines and there was nothing they could do about it. I could have had the reservoir and lines replaced and it would lessen the noise a bit, but it would still make noise. I'm going to try your suggestion!
  • ginadiginadi Member Posts: 2
    Dodgeman 7,
    Thanks so much for the info.. I will most definitly do that. When reading through the posts it sounds like a TON of DGC have had this prob...
    Anyway thanks again.. ;)
    Take Care,
    Gina

PS.. That tip on the bolt will be a lifesavor!!!!
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Good advice by dodgeman7 here. This applies to almost any problem or repair you're contemplating. Always try the simplest, easiest thing first before moving on to the more expensive, complicated repairs. I can think of at least 2 more problem areas where this applies.
    1. If your transmission doesn't seem to be working right, replace the fluid first and see if that makes any improvement. Of course, make sure you use the right tranny fluid when doing this. If it doesn't fix the problem, you're only out $25-$50 or so.
    2. If your CEL is on and the code is indicating a bad catalytic converter, try replacing the O2 sensor(s) first. Even if you still end up needing the cat, you probably would have replaced the O2 sensors as part of the cat replacement so you have not thrown away any money here.
  • drdylandrdylan Member Posts: 4
    No need to list my visits to the Dodge deal to fix the whining problem I had with my 2003 Caravan. No time for that.
    It took a small repair shop to accomplish the repair I needed by replacing a power steering hose with a longer one. They were to do so because they read Dodge's

Tech Bulletin bulletin number 19-006-05, dated August 4, 2005.

One visit to the small shop, one reading of a tech bulletin and a one time charge of about seventy five dollars resulted in my problem being resolved.

Amazing.
  • harley16harley16 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2005 dodge grand caravan to the dealership because the battery died. While we were there we had all the brake pads replaced along with the 2 front rotors. The minute we got on the highway it starting pulling to the right and vibrating. It also stated having a L turn STEERING SHUDDER. We never had a problem before taking it in. We took it back to Dealership and they said we had a steering shudder because----it had been up on the rack so long and the "fluids" shifted and it would probably go away in a couple of days. What do you guys think?
  • harley16harley16 Member Posts: 2
    Is there a way to find specific TSB's on dodge. I'm trying to find TSB 1900403?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    I think B.S. They did not install or tighten something properly, and I would not drive the vehicle until it is fixed. Take it to another shop, get it fixed, and present the first shop with the bill if they are not willing (or capable) of fixing it themselves.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • docbunnerdocbunner Member Posts: 11
    I own a 2003 Dodge Chrysler Sport Grand Caravan AWD. I never had any noise until after I had the recall upper hose replaced. I too was getting the run around. I just took it in to the dealer where i had bought it and was told all of the above. but what really got the icing was when they told me that it coulfdn't be fixed. I could have it flushed with no guarantee that that would solve it.
    I drove it to Florida for my neice's wedding. I am planning on trying to get a power steering reservoir while I am here in St. Petersburg and put it on after I get back home. I will keep the old one as a spare and clean it out qith hot soapy water, etc.
    wish me luck. I will let you all know if this corrects my Power steering problem.
    is there anything we can do in the meantime to force them to honor their recall problem fixes which causes continuing problems?
    Docbunner,

I had the same problem. The DODGE DEALER told me it was either the rack and pinion or the power steering unit.

I took it to a two bay shop.

They found a Tech Bulletin covering the problem.

The Tech Bulletin is bulletin number 19-006-05, dated August 4, 2005.

SOLUTION: Small shop replaced one of the hoses with a longer one, as per Tech Bulletin.

Problem solved.

Good luck & Let me know if this resolves your problem.

By the way, I had the $ 150.00 flush job, which of course did not help. I did demand my money back for that, which they gave to me.

Dan
  • jammer88jammer88 Member Posts: 1
    I've been fighting this whining and intermitent tight steering for almost 5 years. Ever since they performed the power steering hose recall. I purchased the ES version so it is very hard to let go, I love this van except this constant steering noise problem. I've had it in the shop 5 times already for this problem. They have replaced the pump twice, the rack, the hoses, the reservoir, all with no success. Works for abit but comes back. Still on warranty, but they ding me $100 everytime I bring it in. I've done more help by adding additives. Haven't tried the longer hose yet so I hope this works:) P.S. I also own a 2004 Caravan pretty much exactly the same steering parts, absolutely no problems, except I haven't brought it in for the recall:) I should add the problem gets worse when the weather is colder. 66K kms, but problems started much earlier. Wish I could have the old hose back, I'l take my chances with the fire.
  • scotth711scotth711 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I've got a loud whine when I first start my 01 GC. It only lasts about 1 minute and then everything is quiet and I haven't had any problems with steering. Is this possibly related to the power steering issue?

Thanks
    Scott
  • hacgsohacgso Member Posts: 1
    My wife was driving our '02 Dodge GC on the highway and when accelerating and changing lanes, she felt a loss of power steering. I drove it and it was very difficult to turn the wheel. I saw a lot of comments about the reservoir and possible clogging of the screen. Could this be my problem? Or is it the pump? There wasn't noise or whinning associated with this like mentioned in the other replies.
  • nikki2007nikkinikki2007nikki Member Posts: 1
    Do you by chance know which power steering hose they replaced to get rid of the whine?

We also have a 2003 dodge grand caravan, that has been doing that for a few years, again the dealers said they couldn't do anything.

Had it to a small shop that replaced the rack and pinion and the noise was worse ever. They are trying to fix it, I don't think they know about the hose.

Thank you
    Mel
    Hi Mel,

I will not have access to my paperwork on the repair for a few days. My guess is that it was the return line, but I am not 100 % certain.

Tell your shop to read Dodge's Tech Bulletin bulletin number 19-006-05, dated August 4, 2005. That is what my guys used to determine the solution to the problem.

Also if they Google the bulletin they should be able to locate it, if they do not have other means to access it.

Mel let me know if they can not determine which hose to replace and I will check my records and find it for you.

Good luck and God Bless,

Dan

Tell the
  • jordy2jordy2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 96 DGC Sport. Whether I'm driving or stopped, the steering makes this grinding sound when I turn the wheel even the slightest bit. The steering doesn't lock up and I don't hear any popping noises, only this horrible grinding noise-it kind of sounds like teeth grinding but on a much louder scale.
    Has anyone experienced this and/or does anyone have any suggestions?
  • lincoln553lincoln553 Member Posts: 1
    Good day all,
    I was about to replace the power steering pump just before reading this message thread. I had the same problem as many (grinding noise). I just finished replacing the reservoir and the grinding is gone.
    Try that first!!!
    Thank you all!
  • robtjsmithrobtjsmith Member Posts: 1
    We suffered with the whining / groaning noise on my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SE for more than a year. The dealer replaced the rack and pinion (under warranty, so my cost was minimal) but the noise persisted. I followed the advice in this forum, replaced the power steering reservoir ($46) and the whining noise is gone!
  • nurmom2nurmom2 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same whinning noise in my 2003 DGC. after reading theses post I'm thinking the reservior should be changed I heard a range of $25.00 to get the part. Looking around the Int for price ranges the only thing in that range is the filter?? So I wanted to know if its the actual reserior ( that I'm told I'll have to purchase at the dealer) or the filter I need to replace? :shades:
    Start by replacing the reservoir you have to buy from the dealer. If you want to do it right all around, replace the filter and reservoir to keep it cleaner. I just replace the reservoir and all is good for over a year. If that works for you, send Dodge a letter with a copy of your receipts on the fix so Dodge can officially do a recall on this. The more complaints the better. It's really crazy that they want to hit you for a rack job when this will fix the problem most of the time. Good luck and hope if fixes the whine like my '03 DGC.
  • brocktavernbrocktavern Member Posts: 1
    In Oct 2007, I had the PS pump replaced on my 02 DGC because my van was making whining noises. The noise did not go away entirely. It was most noticeable when I first started the van, but then it went away.
    Within the last 2 months or so, the whining got louder and louder. Also, it would not go away like before. I checked the PS fluid level. It was low. I added fluid (did NOT overfill) and the noise went away - temporarily. The whining noise only happens now when the van is first started - just like a year ago.
    Last week I brought my 02 DGC in to have this whining problem checked. The repair shop (not a dealership repair shop) told me that the rack and pinion is leaking, as well as the PS pump. Since I just had the PS pump replaced less than a year ago, it's still under warranty - I would just have to pay for the labor to replace it. The repair shop quoted me just over $900 to place the rack and pinion, exchange out the PS pump, an alignment, labor and tax.
    After reading MANY, MANY posts in this forum, I am extremely hesitant to have the rack and pinion and PS pump replaced. The repair shop mentioned nothing about the PS reservoir or hoses. I already had the PS pump replaced once and it did not help. The rack and pinion is quite expensive and I wonder if it's really the problem here.
    Do I really have a leaking rack and pinion and leaking PS pump, or could replacing the PS reservoir fix this?
    Thanks in advance for any advice/help with the problem!!
    Is your DGC leaking on the driveway? If not, replace the reservoir and see if it goes away.
  • docbunnerdocbunner Member Posts: 11
    I ended up taking it to a place where they power back flushed the power steering and it was solved. Only cost me $53.99 Went back to dealer and told themn that I wanted to file a complaint against the mechanic for not doing his job.
  • kcarroll007kcarroll007 Member Posts: 1
    There is hope for all the steering issues. I had the same problem with my 2003 Grand Caravan. Looked all over the net at different forums and discovered the solution. I did not believe it would work either until I took a chance and spent
    $26 for the replacement power steering pump reservoir. It seems no one knew there is an internal filter in this little plastic reservoir. When the fluid comes into the top from the return line, it goes through this filter before the suction line can get any power steering fluid. So your power steering is noisy due to not getting the correct amount of power steering fluid back to the pump.
    I cut my old reservoir apart to see what my problem was and I discovered that 2 out of 3 of the biggest section of this filter were plugged up.
    After I replaced the reservoir our van is as quiet as a mouse.
    I was like everyone else and ready to replace my rack and pinion or the power steering pump until I read up on this issue
    I am very Thankful for these forums.
    I replaced this reservior myself, there are 2 bolts you can see on top, and one bolt on the bottom that is difficult to get to. You will have to get all the fluid out of the reservoir or you will make a huge mess. You can take the return hose off slowly and catch a lot of it there and the same with the suction hose. Unless you have like a turkey baster you can suck the fluid out from the top. All you have to do is loosen the bottom bolt, not remove it. I had to take a 10 mm socket on an extension and just feel around for the bolt head, once I found it just loosen up.
    Why don't the dealerships know about this issue?
    Sorry to be so windy.
    Good luck everyone,
    Kenny in Ky
  • katintroublekatintrouble Member Posts: 1
    New to this forum...very informative. Question about 2003 Dodge Caravan. My power control module died and I had to have it towed to the dealership a few weeks ago. When I picked it up, weird "whrring" sound came from steering column (absolutely no sound before module dying). I drove it for a bit but noise got louder; returned the van as they said "that because there was no power, the van had to be pushed manually into the garage that some air may have got into the lines", so they bled the lines, and the sound is 10X worse. As soon as I started the van, I knew that and yet they said it was ready to go. Brought the van back and now they are saying that I need a new power steering pump and possibly rack and pinnion - $2000 worth of repairs.
    I said it was their fault, when they pushed the van with no power, that somehow they jeopardized the integrity of the power steering system...they're saying "not likely". They are holding on the fact that I drove the van for a while before returning it to be looked at. Do I have a leg to stand on? Would replacing the reservoir be enough? There was a bit of vibration happening when I returned it the last time, so I'm scared that my van is becoming unsafe. Any advice?
  • bonomibonomi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Limited 3.8 (of course) and I replaced the Rack and Pinion at 39,000 and now with 121,000 miles I'm getting the same leaking PW fluid on the ground. Dealer wants $1500 to replace; other shops will do it for $800. Has anyone tried that Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak fluid that sells for about $8.50? After reading these posts I am going to definitely change my reservoir for $26. Thanks.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I doubt the Lucas or any other stop leak product will work if the problem is the seals down in the rack itself. That PS fluid is under some very high pressure (I thought I read 200 psi or there 'bouts). No after-market chemical is going to help those seals with that kind of pressure, IMO.
  • dirt42dirt42 Member Posts: 1
    Had the winning problem, first thought was the power steering pump or the rack. Before I spent the money, went on line and found this excellent forum. Went out yesterday and purchased the plastic resevior for $38.00 and 1L of fluid from the Mopar dealer. Installed today and the winning is GONE. Of note, if you do this repair, buy a turkey baster as someone suggested to drain and the third bolt (10mm) was a bit of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] (hidden behind the large pump hose).
  • fearlessladyfearlesslady Member Posts: 1
    I started having a high pitched whine about a year and a half ago (only in the a.m.) and I couldn't find the problem. Since I come from generations of mechanics, my dad taught me to work on my own car or at least to be mechanically savvy. I researched that problem and took it into the shop. They were insistent that I needed a new power steering pump, but I stood my ground and asked them if they would just do a flush of the steering system, first. I had read this might help. They weren't happy, but in the end they did the flush and GUESS WHAT? Yep, the noise stopped. Only problem...it's back! Yes, it held for almost two years, but with this recent awakening of the problem, I was looking for a more permanent solution. This time, it was a whine and a groan. I read this blog and decided to replace my power steering resevoir. I paid $25.35 + tax at a Dodge dealer and replaced it myself. There are three screws (top two 8mm, bottom 10mm). The bottom one is hard to get to, but only needs to be loosened, once found. The resevoir slides onto it. Removing all hoses to improve access helps. I have a brake bleeder hand pump (generic brand) that made fast work out of emptying the power steering fluid from the old one. It took less than 30 min. for the entire replacement process. I also cut the old resevoir in half and found alot of black gummy liquid clogging up more than 2/3 of the filter inside. I paid approx. $60 for the system flush two years ago and a total of $35 this time to replace the resevoir/fluid. I'm hoping this fix lasts longer! Either way...it's cheaper than a rack & pinion or a new pump. Remember, if I can do it...you can too!
  • jimmymac15jimmymac15 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 04 DGC. I just bought the part at the dealer yesterday and will attempt to install today. Will let everyone know how it turns out.
    I bet it will fix your whining problem in your 04 DGC.

I sent a of letter to Dodge about this common problem about a month ago and no response yet.
    Maybe we all should get a petition going for a recall on this so everybody gets some money back or get theirs fixed. :)
  • traderumorstraderumors Member Posts: 4
    First off, thanks to everyone for all of knowledge sharing going on with this issue! I have a 2005 Chrysler T&C which I'm assuming falls into this category since its basically the same as the DCG, right? Been having the whining when turning since its turned cold, so spent the $26 and switch out the reservoir. I'm wondering, for those where this has been successful, was the noise IMMEDIATELY gone or did it take a few drives for it to completely go away. Went for a short drive after the switch and some noise is still there, so wondering if that means this wasn't the fix for me?

Thanks!
    Turn your steering wheel all the way right and left slowly about five times each way and make sure you have enough power steering fluid in the reservoir when you do it.
    The system should bleed itself and remove the air from the lines. You still might have small air bubbles inside the lines but after a drive or two, they will go away. If not you need to check for leaks. Did you tighten all hoses correctly? If it leaks or draws in air, you might need to replace the clamps that hold the hoses or check if the hoses are bad.
    Good luck and let me know what happens.
  • jimmymac15jimmymac15 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, well I had to delay my repair for a week due to rain, but got it done today. Everything is working fine now, the new resevoir worked. Took me just over an hour to do, of which 55 minutes was getting the back hose off. Everything else was easy.
    Thanks everyone, this message thread saved me about $800 as the mechanic wanted to switch out the rack, he said $800 was a great deal....
  • walleyecrazywalleyecrazy Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to add a +1 to this topic. Had a nasty whine in my power steering system that had been gradually getting worse. I was getting ready to bring it in to have the system looked at when I stumbled on this forum. I went and bought the part this morning for $30. It took me about 45minutes total to replace the reservoir and get the system back up to the proper level. The hardest part of the job for me was getting the hose off of the back of the reservoir. That probably took me a good 20 miuntes out of the 45 for the whole job. I am glad to report that as with the others that have already posted my whine is now completely gone. Now I just need to replace my idler pully and all will be well for now.
    I had most of my time trying to remove that same hose off the reservoir and not that 10mm nut off the back of the reservoir. Mine seemed to be baked on and frozen on to the reservoir. I tried a screw driver to wedge it between the hose and the reservoir and twisting it a bit and it did not help. I then went for my trusty air hose and blasted air where I put the screwdriver and finally after a few tries it came off. Still no big deal to take off if you know some tricks to remove frozen hoses.
    One day I'll go back and replace that hose because it should never be that way. The chemistry between the two components do not mix well I guess.
  • wormshawwormshaw Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i'm going to give it a try, but i was wandering if you have to use the brake bleeding kit. how do you stop getting air in the fluid??
    You don't need a brake bleeding kit. All you have to do is fill the reservoir a little over the full line and turn the steering wheel back and forth about five times each way slowly while checking to see if you have to add more fluid in the reservoir. As you turn your steering wheel slowly, the fluid is pumped into the lines and pushes out the air. If you run low and draw in air, you have to add more fluid and start over turning the wheel back and forth slowly. It should bleed out the air by itself. After you hear the noise go away, fill the reservoir to the full line and drive it around 5-10 minutes. Check fluid again and add if you need too.
    Good luck and let me know if the noise goes away.

:P
  • 03DGCOwner03DGCOwner Member Posts: 6
    I have an 03 Grand Caravan (96K miles) and the steering has just recently started having issues (two). At startup, the power steering does not work until it warms up. At all times, when you start to turn the wheel in either direction, the steering wheel will turn, but not the wheels. Then, a cracking noise occurs and the wheels finish their travel normally until turned the other way and the same thing. Basically, there seems to be some slop in the steering and a cracking noise occurs when the wheels start to turn and catch up with the steering wheel. I took it to a local mechanic and they couldn't find anything at first. They then said it was the column that was making the noise and that it was only a nuissance noise. Any ideas?
  • efthreeefthree Member Posts: 1
    This week, I purchased a new power steering pump for my 03 Dodge Grand Caravan to fix the noise. After determining how difficult it was going to be to change it, I stumbled on this forum. I put a new reservoir on 3 days ago and just returned from a 600 mile trip. It worked perfect, no more growling and I can return that new pump. Thank you all!!!
  • GreatgigGreatgig Member Posts: 1
    After having the rack and pinion replaced in my 03 Dodge Grand Caravan three times now over the past 2 years (and now it's growling/whining yet again), I'm glad I came across this post. Especially since the warranty has now expired. I'm going to try replacing the reservoir and see if this finally fixes this problem. Thanks to all for the suggestion.
  • bilpelnhbilpelnh Member Posts: 1
    I also had many of the same problems with my power steering, and was discouraged at the thought of so much work to replace the pump, or pay hundreds of dollars for someone else to do it. I just replaced the reservoir ($28.00 at the dealer), and problems solved. A few of points worth mentioning: 1) I was very glad to know that the nut hidden behind the reservoir was 10 mm, especially since the two on top were 8 mm. I was able to thread a socket and extension in from the firewall until it grabbed. 2) It was also good to know that the larger hose was so tough to get off. I was ready to cut it out completely when it finally broke loose. Just be careful. I used a thin screwdriver to work it loose. 3) Even if you siphon out all the available fluid, there's plenty left in the reservoir and hoses that will run out while you wrestle with the stuck hose. Place a couple of rags over the engine before you start. 4) All the auto parts stores I talked to either didn't stock the reservoir, or only sold it with the pump. For 28 bucks, just call the dealer. Finally, thank you to all for your help. I hope to return the favor.
  • daved480daved480 Member Posts: 1
    One more confirmation that replacing the power steering reservoir fixes a whiny steering. We've had the power steering pump replaced. Whine returned. Then we had the rack replaced. Whine returned. This week as a result of reading this forum we had the power steering reservoir replaced and the whine is completely gone.
  • Caravan2003Caravan2003 Member Posts: 1
    I haven't worked on a car in a long time, but now I'm forced to because of economic circumstances. The power steering went out in my wife's 03 Caravan suddenly yesterday. It was parked in the street when I started it up to move it. As soon as I turned the wheel I knew I was in trouble - no power steering at all and I had a horrible time getting it in the driveway. There was a smell of burning rubber and a squeaking noise just before it quit. Pardon my ignorance but I have a few questions.
    1. Is there a power steering belt on this thing?
    2. Could the reservoir cause this?
    3. How much is it going to cost to get a new pump and can i do it myself? :confuse:
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    There is a belt that runs the power steering pump. I am not sure if it is individual or serpentine, but you should check under the hood to see if there is a broken belt. If it is a serpentine belt that went out, you will end up with more problems than simply no power steering unless you replace it. For example, your alternator would run off the same belt, meaning there is no charge going to your battery when the vehicle is running....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250