Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercury Villager Hood Release

vil99vil99 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Mercury
My '99 Villager hood release just jammed. The inside lever pulls out about 1-1/2" then impossible to pull any further, hood stays locked down tight. Any tricks to offer before I tear up the grille or something? TIA! Larry

Comments

• Options
    OK got it by pressing hood front down hard while wife pulled release. Corrosion all over. WD40 on everything and works fine.
  • Options
    shulerbshulerb Member Posts: 1
    96 mercury villager 247000 miles. All systems are showing their age some. AC system solder point, power seat going out. replaced cv joints... general wear and tear things. I have not had too much trouble except recently. noticed battery corrosion 2 weeks ago. went to open hood and release pulls out normally it seems but hood does not open. is there any secret way of getting at the cable end. i believe the connection may have broke at the release end. any help would be appreciated. I can possibly hacksaw the grill to get at the connection as the car only needs to last a few more weeks. have a used 2006 dodge caravan / chrysler town and country that I am looking to purchase.
  • Options
    If hood release pulls out normally and stops at its normal stop, then the cable is still attached.
    My experience was rust build-up simply causing release area to bind badly. Try a screwdriver cushioned with a rag, prying up near the release point while someone else holds the release cable open (to the rear).
    You are right, if you have to go sawing and such, it's very hard to access.
This discussion has been closed.