Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Kia Optima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    magicwinemagicwine Member Posts: 6
    Mike,

Forgot to ask if that price was otd, and if not what did it not include.

Thanks
    Bob
  • Options
    sbp2112sbp2112 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am a first-time buyer looking for Optima EX with premium package. Can somebody share their buying experience and price paid for this model in the New York City area. I checked the discussions and have not seen any from NY yet. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    SBP
  • Options
    snowman22snowman22 Member Posts: 109
    Hello SBP
    I just took delivery of a new 2011 Optima hybrid with the luxury package/$5000. Loaded with everything. Love the car and my mpg is better than advertised--getting 40 in the city and not really trying.

Total MSRP of $33,245. Hold onto your hat--I still can't believe what I paid. Ready----$24,000. It's a 38 month lease 12000 miles per. All tax,fee's everything rolled in to the lease---walked out the door with out of pocket expense of $69.00. and a monthly of $398.00--they even made my first month payment. I have no reason why the great deal but I'm a happy camper.Bought in Amherst N.Y.--outside Buffalo
  • Options
    XxHaimBonxXXxHaimBonxX Member Posts: 135
    Sounds like an excellent deal for the amount of car/features you are getting. Do you mind a breakdown from the contract page? Thanks.

How does it drive, corner?
  • Options
    sbp2112sbp2112 Member Posts: 2
    That does sound like a good deal. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    I could list everything but not enough room to do so. Rebates of all kinds--really-I never have seen anything like this before. I have been leasing for years. Only thing I can figure is they wanted to move this car. Why--no idea. This car is silver with black leather--great combo----+ every option including locks for the wheels.It drives great and corners as well as any other car. It has great road feel and handling and I love the fact it has a real 6 speed automatic transmission. Quiet and really comfy. Lots of room,great mileage and it turns heads like nothing I have ever had. People ask what kind of car is this and what to know the same things you do. I would sugest you drive one. The only thing though is--- you will get a hesitation between electric and gasoline until you learn how to drive it.Once you have driven it for a few days you won't notice anything. Nothing that would be a deal breaker. Good luck--you will get a good deal--they want to sell cars.
  • Options
    kittyindckittyindc Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    We got the 2011 Optima Hybrid tonight for $23,100 OTD. I was very happy with the purchase price. I expected to pay near that for a regular one but was very happy with the Hybrid. They only had 3 on the floor and had sold 10 cars already today. My salesman alone sold 5 of the 10 so I'd say we did pretty well. It wasn't a lease either we purchased it out right. If you have good credit and are wanting a Hybrid the rebates are insane!
  • Options
    rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    that's a great price, did you get the one with the navi? (5k package)
  • Options
    What was the manufacturer's sticker on this vehicle? Did it have leather seats?

OTD - did it include sales tax? Everything but motor vehicle fees?

If you can, please reply asap as I am leaving for my dealer to finalize today :-)

Thank you for your help.

Bob
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    When's the last time you got "out the door" without paying or arranging to pay for taxes and dealer fees?
  • Options
    Thanks for your quick reply :-)

What was the total cost excluding sales tax?

Thank you

Bob
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I'm not the purchaser in question. My reply was merely to clarify what "out the door" is commonly meant to mean. As a price that includes local and state taxes, dealer fees, etc., not to mention trade in value, "out the door" is an essentially meaningless concept except to your wallet. What the dealer actually charges you for the car and his fees is the meaningful figure here. The dealer has no control over tax rates and registration fees as those fees are set by the state.

A purchaser from another state is going to pay a different amount in taxes and fees. That's why it's normally best to compare what you actually pay for the car and dealer fees when comparing deals, especially when the other deal is in another state.
  • Options
    Or you can ask for a OTD price and the Dealership in question. You can calculate the difference in sales tax yourself, it's going to be a couple of hundred dollars in any direction. Otherwise, why even bother asking for the sale price? Deals vary from dealership to dealership.
  • Options
    Ok, suppose I live in California where we have both a state and county sales tax. I hear about someone getting an Optima for $25000 out the door in Salina, Kansas at ABC motors.

I guess it's possible for me to go on the internet and figure out what the state tax in Kansas is along with any county taxes after I figure out which county Salina happens to be in. After that, I'd have to figure out how much it takes to title a car in Kansas and subtract all those items from the out the door price. Don't you think it would much easier if the Salina car buyer said "I paid $23,000 for the car and the dealer charged $100 for the paperwork??? The Kansas taxes and registration fees don't apply in California or any other state besides Kansas. Now you can easily compare any deal in the country with any other. Kapish?
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    This is a forum that people from all over the country as well as the world participates in. OTD prices are useless for 99% of the people using it. Unless you live in the same town the OTD price means nothing as tax rates, dealer fee, title and registratgion fees vary all over the nation.

If someone really wants to be helpful posting a price for their fellow forum members it should include the following.

Bought car at ABC dealer in Anytown, ST.
    Price paid was $xx,xxx
    Dealer fee was $xxx
    Sales Tax was $xxxx
    Registration/Title/Plate fee were $xxx

If someone wants an OTD price then they can get out their little calculator and add up the above.
  • Options
    From my experience on these very same forums, it is almost impossible to request people to provide any details about their deal. You get an OTD price and work yourself up. Ideally, it would be nice to get the above breakdown. In reality, count how many of them are provided going back to the first post.
  • Options
    It depends on the forum and the poster. I've seen plenty of good breakdowns of actual selling prices on many car brands. Maybe not so much on this one. But it doesn't hurt to ask people to do it right. Personally, if someone won't break it down for others on this forum they are either just bragging or lying or at the very least not being very helpful. It should be automatic but I agree that it isn't lots of times.

But people actually asking for OTD numbers only adds to the problem.

It slays me when people go to the bother of posting something like "I just bought an Ex with everything for $23,500". This tells everyone you nothing so why even bother.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    People have been listing the prices and fees in these forums for years and every so often, someone comes in and says it should be this way or that way...which way "is right"? I don't really know, nor do I care. Let posters post the info they want in the way that they want...there is "no wrong or right way" when it comes to this! I am,

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    The "right" way may not be obvious, but OTD is definitely wrong! Any time a trade in is involved, the OTD price is skewed by the value of the trade in. QED
  • Options
    I so agreed with you as well, when I leased my 2005 Audi A4 back then, I posted in the Audi forum I belonged, every single detail (price agreed, money factor, term, etc,) I even went as far as posted the Doc fees, etc. Then, when I purchased my 2007 Acura TL type S, I did the same thing (priced paid, interest rate, Doc fees etc), and I received some nice personal emails later thanking me for providing such detail. And you know how long it took me to write those details? less than 5 minutes and less lines than I am typing here :>))

To each his own, but I am on the side of the fence that if I am searching a forum to try to get a little edge in getting a better deal, every piece of info helps. OTD price means crap to me.

Dont worry gang, I promise that when I get my Hybrid (hopefully in the next month of so) I will post every single item, I PROMISE as it does not cost me a dime to do so, nor it takes more time than reading and posting here; and the best part is, that it does makes me feel like I am really contributing to any future purchase that you might make.....

Cheers
  • Options
    which way "is right"? I don't really know, nor do I care.

No right or wrong but certainly more useful. People have reminded others that OTD prices are not that useful and I see nothing wrong with that. Nobody is asking that anyone put the info in any exact format, just provide some useful information.

Why do you seem to have a problem with reminding people that presenting their buying experience in a more useful format is beneficial for everyone? Especially if you don't care.
  • Options
    Very well put and thanks for the complete info.......in advance.
  • Options
    greetingsnygreetingsny Member Posts: 13
    Hmm, not to burst your bubble but there is no way you got that deal and your monthly payments would be $398. Taking into account the lease rates for KIA Optima EX (don't have the hybrid figures) of .00130 with a 59% residual at the end of your 39 months, your stated $33,245 MSRP and $24,000 negotiated price and assuming you being in NY where sales tax is 8.675% your final monthly payment should've been, hod on to your hat:

$184

To actually pay so much for the car either the negotiated price should've been somewhere around $31,300 or the resdual of the car should be around 35% which means your car at the end of the lease would be valued at $11,365 and that is extremely low. In any case the deal is not great, it is awful, you would've been in a much better position sticking with a 2012 EX turbo or SX which provides a monthly of about $288 (including taxes) and $326 (including taxes) respectively.

People, please do your math, research the lease rates and conditions and do yourself a favor and run the numbers though a smartphone applications at the dealarship otherwise you will be taken for a ride.
  • Options
    $184 can't be correct here, he only paid $69 in cash up front!
  • Options
    that whole equation didn't make much sense to me. $24K cars don't cost $189 a month unless you put $3000 down.
  • Options
    Run the numbers yourself:

MSRP = $33K
    Price = $24K
    MF = 0.00130
    Residual = 59%
    Term = 39 months
    Taxes = 8.675%

I may be wrong in some of the assumptions for these numbers since they are for the 2012 EX model not 2011 EX hybrid. Vary the inputs to match the actual monthly premiums and you'll get either 35% residual (which is extremely unlikely) or a negotiated price closer to $31K.
  • Options
    :) Let me shed more light--I did have a trade in. A 2010 Prius. Had 11 months left at $350.=$3850. Buy out balance of $16000.$16000+$3850=$19850. They have it listed at $20,500 on their lot. I do my homework. I look at Edmunds,Kelly and several others. Factory backed lease is always better than any lease we could put together using on-line lease services. I checked them out. I can only tell you whats on my lease agreement as best I can. I don't know where all the numbers come from. But----I do know---my monthly is $398.00 a month for 38 months. This is a $36,000 car with tax included. A "loaded hybrid"with everything. I paid $69.00 out of pocket. You might not agree--but I'm a happy camper at $398.00 I feel this was an awesome deal
  • Options
    nik2981nik2981 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a Kia Optima 2012 Ex. I live in Lexington, KY but a friend inquired with a dealer in Indiana on my behalf and was quoted 23,000 otd. State tax in Indiana is about 7%. Is this a good deal ? No packages on the car and color is dark cherry. Appreciate any feedback.
  • Options
    I was able to cath up with this forum over the weekend, and reading at the most recent posts, I was laughing my [non-permissible content removed] off as I see how people have to do "forensic calculations" in order to arrive at a deal made by another poster, which at the end confessed that there was a trade involved in the deal. It was like an episode of CSI KIA...ajjajjaa "tell me, what other numbers were involved, tell me tell me">.."ok ok I confessed I confessed, I also traded my old car, I did not mean to hide it, I just thought it was irrelevant"

Great detective work...Ok, that was just a silly joke, but all serious now, this help solidify the minority of us that think that OTD prices posts, although with good intentions, it can not provide us with a good benchmark, so please gang, lets make a deal, leave the OTD prices OTD! :)

As a future buyer of a Kia Hybrid (damm, they've come a long way, I use to drive AUDI, ACURA and now KIA LOL.....who would've thought!), it can help me get a good deal.

Happy hunting
  • Options
    Two old adages come to mind: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't". Also: "The devil's in the details". However, in this case, I don't think that failing to mention that there was a trade in involved would be just a detail.

All of which serves to show that the actual price you were charged for the car and dealer fees are the important numbers, everything else is just chaff.
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i was wondering if anybody in the south fla area has purchased a kia optima from west palm beach kia lately.They are offering a deal that sounds to good to be true..The deal is $9000.00 off any new kia in stock with any trade.if somebody has gotten this deal from there i was wondering if they can explain how it works.
  • Options
    Read the fine print. The chevy dealer in the Buffalo area was claiming the same thing. Fine print stated car could only be so old with so many miles and in a certain condition + had to be a current GM owner and current military or Current college grad. It was really fine print---but thats how they get you into the showroom--then lower the boom on you. :mad:
  • Options
    Well, Finally after emailing 5 different dealers around my home and work, only one came back with a number. So, they started the negotiation at 26,000 (price of the car) for a Hybrid with Tech. I will be financing the car, so I am hoping to bring it down to 24k (or I am smoking crack gang?). Any one here got a good deal (price of the car, please, not OTD price), I want to compare how much wiggle room I have to start. I am thinking going as agressive as 23k.

Will keep you posted
  • Options
    The Hybrid only has one option package available, the Premium package at a whopping 5k. If that's what your referring to as "with Tech", $26,000 is an unbelievable price.

Emphasis on the unbelievable!
  • Options
    jjbbtxjjbbtx Member Posts: 2
    2012 EX with tech for $25k, msrp $28.5k, in Dallas, TX. Won't bother with OTD price, as that causes a bit of confusion for some :)
    Took a while to warm up to the idea of getting a Kia, having always been a loyal Honda and Toyota fan, but absolutely love the car. Heated steering wheel seemed like unnecessary fluff, until I used it in the recent freezing temps.... Ah, fabulous! Great car, great options!
  • Options
    Thanks a bunch for your pricing info (and for not including OTD :>)).

I was in the same boat as you, my previous cars,2003 MB, 2005 AUDI, 2007 Acura TL, so going to a KIA seem like a crazy idea until I saw the new design and I test drove it; in addition to all the toys it has for the price you pay. I am a value person, or I turned into one after I wanted to lease another Audi or BMW, but once I started adding little things here and there, I found myself north of $40k; so I dont think you can get a better value (that looks this good in my opinion) for the price. And I like the fact that you pick one package (Tech) and that's it. And yes, that steering wheel heating gizmo, one never knows how freaking nice it is until you tried. And with all the driving I do, I will welcome the great MPG this car has.
  • Options
    karkonnoisseurkarkonnoisseur Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    I purchased a 2012 KIA Optima LX T-GDI with Premium & Tech packages in spicy red. I challenge anyone to purchase a new car that is this capable with this level of trim, fit and finish. I have owned entry and mid level luxury cars for years. I only have 351 miles on my KIA so far and every time I get into it, it leaves me with a big honking smile on my face. The KIA Forte Koup is poised to steal the spot occupied by the Honda Civic Si and the Mazda speed 3. KIA has truly reinvented its line and is turning up the heat. Inside Line's test of the Forte was an eye opener. Peter Schreyer, the former head of Audi's Design team has made KIA so attractive that no one in the sweetspot segment expected this. All of the big players are shocked. I know I was when I test drove my Optima for he first time. I took this 2.0 liter turbo engine to 60 in about 6 seconds.
  • Options
    I'm a value guy too and I have to agree.....Nic Jonsonn's test of this car got me thinking and when I drove my new 2012 Optima SX T-GDI, I learned that KIA is a worldclass contender in this segment.......the car sold itself!!
  • Options
    you mean you got the SX, not LX, because those come with 2.4L I believe.
  • Options
    Thats right!! I meant the SX! :-)
  • Options
    nicole0423nicole0423 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Very excited...I think I got a pretty good deal.

Live in MA
    Trade In - 400 over what I owed
    Loyalty - 500
    Money Down - 1100 (included tax, title, delivery - all that stuff)
    Monthly Payment - $229

I went to a dealer beforehand who was advertising $116 a month on the Optima LX. I couldn't believe it, so I went down to check it out. After spending 30 minutes while they figured out the numbers, they came back with a price of $282 a month!!! I was fuming. They all but told me there is no way for anyone to qualify for all the incentives, since some wash out the others. Total false advertising. The dealer I ended up going with was great. The math is crazy, I still don't even know what I paid for the car. I do like the monthly payment though. :)
  • Options
    Ok ladies, so here is what I have been offered so far. I will know tomorrow when I stop by the dealer if they are for real or not. So after emailing 4 dealers back and forth one of them came back with a $299 per month inclusive of NJ taxes; 39 month lease; 15k miles per year; no money down (zero cap cost reduction) and all fees rolled into the pmt of $299!! this is for a 2011 Optima with the premium Tech package. I asked them like 5 times, so all I have to bring is my pen and that it. Again, if they are for real, I will post all the numbers for you ladies.
  • Options
    Hmm,

Let's see. I would assume you went with the standard Optima LX with auto transmission and no other options. Currently Kia leases on 39 mo with a MF of 0.00127 and a residual of 59% for 12,000 miles per year (58% for 15,000). While doing the math in reverse to find out how much you really paid for the car is not exact since I don't have the details of your trade in your approximate price paid for the car was $20,100 while the MSRP for this car is $21,750 which means you paid $1,650 less or a 7.58% discount. That's not exactly bad but in average the discount for this car is 10-11% which means your discount could've been $2,175-2,402 which would've put your sale price in the $19,575-19,348 range and you woul've paid monthly between $214-$208.

Don't lose your sleep over this $15 to $21 less per month, enjoy the car, I thinks is awesome for what it costs.

Regards!
  • Options
    That's not exactly telling much since you don't mention the trim. An LX with auto and technology is breaking down like this:

MSRP = $25,050
    MF = 0.00127
    Term = 39 mo
    Sales tax = 7%
    Miles/year = 15,000
    Residual = 58%
    Fees = approx $800 (bank fee $595 plus DMV and doc fee)
    Your monthly payment = $299

This results in an approximate sale price of $23,500 or a discount of 6.2%. This is a little more than half of the average discount of the car. Your best deal considering you could get 11% discount on the car or a sale price of $22,258 will result in monthly payments, all fees rolled in, of $263. This is $36 less per month or $1,404 less for the life of the lease.

Please, do not let the dealer present you with the monthly payment figure because it is so easy for them to hide the extra cost to you. Always negotiate the sale price and for that use a site like truecar.com or edmunds.com to figure the approximate sale price of the car. Then scour the internet for the lease rates and terms and use a lease calculator to find for yourself how much the monthly payment would be. You will negotiate from a much more stable position and save some money in the process. Knwoledge is power, really and myself learned this the hard way after paying much more in the past than I should have
  • Options
    Hey greetings, sorry it was the 2011 Hybrid with tech (MSRP $32,250), so just like you, I was way too curious about that price, but since the dealer is on my way to work I stopped this morning anyways. Before hand I had already calculated my figures (I work in finance so I do this all the time) and I even did my numbers (exact like yours) but depreciation at 49% (do I have this wrong for 39 months? you have it at 53% I know its a different trim), money factor same, and a Cap cost for the car at $26,000 and I arrived at $314.56 + $22.02 NJ tax =$336.58. So when they told me (Manfreddy KIA Staten Island) $299 with ALL fess (Bank, tags, etc) rolled into the lease pmts plus the NJ tax for only $299! I said, shoot, that means that they are discounted the car even south of what I had previously on the table (26k) . For them to give me that deal on this lease, they will have to put the cap cost of the car in the $23,xxxx range which would have been a tremendous deal.

But, as I had suspected, this is the real (not yet negotiated) offer from them. $356 per month inclusive of NJ taxes, again, we did not talk details. The manager was not an Axxxhole, neither rude, just of course lied to get me in the dealership, but I am all aware they all do that. I am always polite and I kill them with kindness. So I spent 15 minutes and told him that if we come to a price less than the $356 per month and me only having to bring a pen to the deal, he might have a sale. He told me thank you I cant do it, and I told him, call me if anything changes. He then told me that he would do the Hybrid with Non-tech (one on the floor) for $299. I was not interested nor I wanted to start negociating since I am looking for Tech pkg. As I was leaving he yelled "What about a Mazda, I can get you a Mazda for a great deal" jajajaja you can't blame him for trying, I was the only soul at the dealer at this time.

We'll keep you posted of my adventures.

ps. Gang if you guys know the exact deprecition for the Hybrid with tech (39 months) please share, I want to make sure my numbers are correct
  • Options
    ;) Let me repeat my deal in Amherst New York in Mid Nov. 2011 Optima hybrid loaded with every option available including wheel locks. I had an even up trade of a 2010 Prius.I still had one year remaining but they bought it out for what I owed. Really nice. Bottom line: Only $69.00 out of pocket. 39 month lease--really 38 because they made the first payment--nice again--12000 miles per year. all tax,fee's full tank of gas----$398.00 per month. I shop around-----and I could never better this deal on anything including ford or chevy--"I did not want those anyway" People have responded their numbers and I should have got this or that and paid to much and so forth--Well--I'm happy beyond belief. Price,Car,Hybrid,Quality and a monthly price that I don't think could have been beat by much. So if your happy---great--enjoy the fantastic car you are about to buy and hang anyone elses shoulda-woulda-coulda patronizing.
  • Options
    Well, I guess this makes me feel better then, since your trade was not even a downpayment (since it was a wash, right? meaning, they paid what you owed), so basically, you were in the same boat as I am, where I am not giving a downpayment (cap cost reduction) ;and they rolled every single fee into your payment, right? so you only paid $69 for whatever that was; so my take away from your deal will be that if I can get my lease (same car as yours) for $356 per month (inclusive of NJ taxes) and with no out of pocket $ at inceptin (except for first month), I would be getting a great deal. Also, considering that I will be getting my lease with 15k miles allowance and yours was 12k. I guess I will be giving another thought tonight and I will call them tomorrow to see if that number hold. But just confirm with me that your trade was just a wash.

Thanks for your comment.

R
  • Options
    Hmm,

The hybrid must have a lower residual because the battery pack won't last more than 5-6 years and it loses storage capacity in time. 49% sounds about right but I don't really know. To compensate for this low residual the MF is probably lower than 0.00127 which is the one for LX (.00127 means about 3% interest rate). Let's say the interest rate is somewhere around 2% or a MF of .0008. With this numbers the sale price of the car at the $356 monthly all included would be around $26,600 (MSRP is $32,250) for a discount of approx 17.6% which is better than the average of 14% on truecar.com for this trim. All in all not a bad deal. On this forum I've read about negotiated prices of around $24K but I am not sure if that included tech and seems really low to me but not totally impossible, just not probable.
  • Options
    Picked up my Hybrid w/ premium yesterday as previously agreed: $1100 down and $326 a month, 12K miles for 39 months. They also bought out my TSX lease and gave me 2 oil changes. Residual is $13.5K, real low. They said battery, along with all other hybrid components are covered for 10 years. With that in mind I might even think about buying it, who knows. Like the car overall, however, still weird hesitation on acceleration to get used to. Heard there is TSB out for it.

BTW: $356 with nothing down is an awesome deal. You should seriously think about it.
  • Options
    Yes it was a wash. They took it in and paid it off. No cost to me. They still have it listed for sale at just about what it cost them to buy me out.It also needed all new tires. Had I not bought the new hybrid I would have had to buy tires for our Buffalo NY. weather. That would have cost about $500+. They also made the first payment and I did not have to make the Prius payment--so I saved $750+$500 for tires==$1250 that I would have had to spend.Figure all that in and my monthly for the 38 months would be about $33.00 less. So my payment would be inreal time dollars---$365.00. So bottom line you got a great deal--go for it.The $69.00 was registration and license. PS--I bet they would make the first payment. Use that as the clincher. Tell them--you make the first and ya got a deal. ;)