Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• Options
    ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    thanks for the reply. and do u know abt the 2001

0 to 60/ 62mph seconds for the 2001 avalon?

and if u do know, how good is the new avalon from the old 1.

thanks
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    0 to 60 for the previous generation was around 8 seconds. I had an '03 (same as '01) prior to buying my '06 XLS. The 06 is faster and handles a bit better. OTOH the '03 was a tad quieter and I felt it had better seats. The ride is very similar and MPG is better in the '06 even with 70 more HP. All in all I do feel the newer generation is an improvement if for any other reason the 3.5 engine.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    hdcoleyhdcoley Member Posts: 1
    4 things will determine if I buy another Avalon Limited. Power tilt & telescopic steering wheel, Blue Tooth and a better audio system with MP3 capability. Also a rear backup camera. I have installed all but the steering feature on my Limited and they are great. No hands cell phone, MP3 and backup camera are great and much safer. Get with it Toyota before I go back to an Acura RL.
  • Options
    singlemgsinglemg Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the 2008 Avalon will go on sale?
  • Options
    ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    Does anyone know if the 2008 Avalon will get a 6 speed transmission like the 2007 V6 Camry now has? It's my understanding that the current Avy does not yet have the 6 speed AT, right? Thanks

J
  • Options
    blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    ushy66-My 2007 Avalon Ltd has a 5 speed. It has worked well for my driving style. I haven't heard anything definite about 2008.
  • Options
    otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    I hope the XL gets some additional features available on the higher line models, at no or little additional cost. Specifically, make 17" tires standard for all Avalons and also the laminated sound-deadening windshield glass. Maybe the auto-dimming rearview mirror can be standard for all Avalons as well.
  • Options
    burlburl Member Posts: 40
    Biggest changes appear to be: 6 speed auto
    Braking system upgrade
    new Front bumper design
    New headlight design
    IN KEY REMOTE KEY ENTRY
    Tinted Tail lamps
    MP3 INPUT JACK
    Move rear AvalonLGO
    Few other small 1s

Said to ship in AUGUST +-
    Sounds Early But that is what was said

These are the changes on the Base model only
  • Options
    zebra5zebra5 Member Posts: 47
    You sound "in the know:" I take it this braking system upgrade is different from Vehicle Stability Control?
  • Options
    davidinnvdavidinnv Member Posts: 15
    Not being especially technically savvy, I'm wondering this: If the 2008 Avalon will have MP3 capability, will it also have Bluetooth available?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "braking system upgrade"

That might mean that the ABS firmware is being modified such that ABS will not activate unless VSC indicates a need.

Or it could also mean the engine/transaxle control firmware is being revised to mostly eliminate the 1-2 second delay/hesitation some are experiencing. Currently if you fully lift the gas pedal the transaxle will quickly upshift to alleviate the potential for loss of directional control or ABS interference due to engine compression braking should the roadbed happen be slippery.

Most of those upshifts could be eliminated, safely eliminated, if they only happened below 35F or if VSC and/or TC has activated recently, or ABS inappropriately, say during the current drive cycle.

And it wouldn't hurt to have a light, indication, that the transaxle is in "upshift", "safe", mode. Or maybe even a pushbutton wherein the driver could "command" upshift mode...?
  • Options
    havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    wwest,

Honestly, I don't think that any of your generic conjectures about a possible "braking system upgrade" is relevant to the 2005+ Avalon.

As owner of a 2005 for 2 1/4 years now, my guess is that it could involve something as simple as reducing the pedal effort required to activate the brakes. The fairly high brake pedal effort contrasts with very low effort needed to advance the gas pedal, and this I believe is a reason for the performance predictability issues that some drivers have had. A reduction of the brake pedal resistance to half, together with an increase in gas pedal resistance to double in the 2008 Avalon, in my view would bring these two functions more in line and cure some drivers' performance issues.

I guess we'll soon find out what they actually will do to the Avalon brakes...
  • Options
    maxwellpsmaxwellps Member Posts: 2
    Honestly, who cares about a brake upgrade? The brakes on my '05 stop me on a dime and have saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I have three words for Toyota on what the '08 Avalon needs: touchscreen, touchscreen, touchscreen. Otherwise, how do you explain to your customers that your flagship vehicle doesn't offer a NAV system as nice as the model one level down on the totem pole does (Camry)?

As for standard equipment, if Toyota is going to make improvements to the base model it needs to get back to the basics: improve the feel/responsiveness of the steering wheel (faulty welding there prompted a recall) and the quality of the ride (the Maxima rides better on similar low profile tires). The Avalon already outperforms most everything in its class in power and fuel efficiency. Now Toyota needs to make it *feel* more luxurious, and in my opinion those two areas plus the NAV system are the best ways to do it.
  • Options
    \
    Change reads as "Brakeing system upgrade (larger rear brake rotors W/High frictional force brake pads)

And I just Noticed : "Optional JBL AM/FM CD changer 12 speakers, Cassette Deleted...........SAT CAPABLE

BLUE TOOTH .....Touring & XLS..........Standard (limited)

Sorry
    Burl
  • Options
    ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    Thanks for the info blackdog4 and burl. My question about the possible availability of a 6 speed AT in the '08 Avalon concerns a possible increase in highway fuel efficiency of the Avy if it gets the 6 speed AT. My guess is that it could increase highway fuel efficiency by 2-4 mpg w/6 vs 5 speed AT, everything else being equal. What do you all think? Thanks

J
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    The six speed probably won't help the MPG. The Camry has the 6 speed with the 3.5 and the HWY MPG is the same as the Avalon. Actually, with the new testing procedures the posted MPG will be lower for most cars in '08.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    smuooksmuook Member Posts: 35
  • Options
    sadlerdsadlerd Member Posts: 1
    you would think, would be high on Toyota's todo list for Avalon. The joystick is, honestly, not a joy. I love our '07 Limited, but the current navigation control leaves much to be desired.

After using it for few times, I occasionally wonder, why did they choose to carry over from the '04 Avalon the not so friendly joystick system in the new Avalon - but put the super easy to use touchscreen system in the new Camry?

But I have given Toyota the benefit of the doubt they will eventually bring Avy up to date with their other models. I am sure they are hard at work correcting this faux pas and will soon deliver on the promise of "Toyota, Moving Forward"! :-)

So, for now, what I find interesting is imagining how will they redesign the interior to accomodate a touchscreen nav!

Will they go with the stack console used in Camry and Lexus; can they put a touchscreen in the current layout; will touchscreen have to wait on a redesign of Avalon?!!! :-(
  • Options
    gthomp38gthomp38 Member Posts: 12
    I am currently driving a Chrysler 300C but am planning on purchasing a 2008 Avalon Limited in a couple months. In reading the fine print in the brocure I noticed that it said if you have a pace maker or defibrillator you need to use caution. They suggested immobilizing the Smart Start. Does anyone have more info on this or how to do it?
  • Options
    I copied the below info off of the internet under this subject: Prius "S" 10th Anniversary Edition! - PriusChat
    Although it pertains to Prius it also applies to all Toyota vehicles so equipped.
    "Smart Entry and Start System (leave the keys in your handbag, and touching the door handle will open the door. Pressing the Power Switch will start the Hybrid System.) *warning* Implanted Pacemakers may be affected by this system. Do not let the pacemaker get to the car's receiver within 22cm (about 9 inches). It may stop the pacemaker, so contact your sales person."
    Seems like info of this nature should be more than fine print in a brochure. The salesman I talked with mentioned nothing about it.
    Comments concerning this and immobilizing would be welcome.
  • Options
    If there is a 2008 Avalon brochure in distribution, how does one gain access to it? My dealer professes complete ignorance of it. - Thanks.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Did you specifically ask the salesperson about it? Not all sales people are as thoroughly versed in their product as we might like, though, but it's worth asking the salesperson or maybe the service department manager.
  • Options
    I went in this afternoon and spoke with the Service Manager. He gave me a blank stare like what the he** are you taking about. I got a 2007 Avalon brochure and showed him and he said he didn't have a clue and had never heard of it before. He is suppose to call Toyota tomorrow and get back with me. He said he didn't think there was a big problem with pacemakers made in the past 5-10 years but said it was like when microwaves first came out they had warnings for people with pacemakers. He figures it's Toyota's was of CYA in case it should affect someone. I suggested that they might want to put in something other than fine print. He did say there is no way an individual can immobilize the smart start feature it has to be done with their computers if it can be done at all. Which brings up another interesting point - there is no "key" or ignition switch with smart key, just a button on the dash you push to start or stop the vehicles engine. I guess there's always someone like me to mess up the works. I thought I'd better find out though before I buy one as I don't think my wife would be real happy with me if it ends up killing her mother who has the pacemaker and always rides with us when we go to see her. (Of course I don't guess I had to tell her about it and if something happened she might think it was natural causes as her mother is 86. Oh well, will post the results of the Service Manager's findings when I get them.
  • Options
    Just a thought - probably shouldn't be talking while you drive with or without Bluetooth. I too would like to see the other items though.
  • Options
    The Service Manager called me this morning and informed me he had talked with Toyota and that the Smart Start could indeed be immobilized by the owner. He told me that if I would stop in he would make a copy of the instructions on how to do it. He was quite surprised. Sounds like a good learning lesson for everyone. I'm sure he will also get the word around the dealership now too.
  • Options
    lcsennlcsenn Member Posts: 9
    Has anybody seen, or heard, if the 2008 Avalon will have a backup camera?
  • Options
    According to the source books for 2008 just released to dealers, the new Avalon is only listed as having new wheels and bluetooth as new features.
  • Options
    smuook-thanks for the info.
  • Options
    mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    The information I have seen shows the 08 will have the 6 speed transmission, a new grill and fog lights and the surround area of the fog lights has been changed. The headlight and tail light assemblies have been changed as well as some of the interior trim. The power passengers seat will have adjustable lumbar support as an option. The radio will have Blue Tooth and IPod capability. That's all I remember seeing, unfortunately the changes are not summarized in one place but rather spread over 10-12 PDF files so it's hard to cover everything.
  • Options
    jmbkljjmbklj Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone have any ideas as to when the Toyota web site will be updated with the 2008 Avalon info? Or other web sites?

Will the colors be the same? I am hoping the dark wood will be available on more interiors.
  • Options
    maxwellpsmaxwellps Member Posts: 2
    I don't think you'll see anything on Toyota's website for several months yet. The 2005 Avalon didn't show up at dealers until January/February of 2005, and every year since has been released late as well. I would be surprised to see anything before the end of the year, but like you I'm eager to see what the 2008 model brings and I'd be happy to be surprised.
  • Options
    nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Actually, the 2006 and 2007 Avalons showed up at dealers in September. The previous year's models usually stop being sold at the end of July so your dealer will most likely be taking orders for 2008 models in August to be delivered in September.
  • Options
    Sorry, but my recollection is that the 2007 Avalons actually became available in June or July of 2006. I have two friends who bought them around that time.

Since then, various trade sources indicated that the cycle for the 2008s was being stretched beyond 12 months so that Toyota could make improvements to its quality programs with regard to these and other models. I'm sure someone can correct me if I have stated the situation incorrectly.

If the 2008 Avalons can be ordered in August, then I would expect to see the Toyota website updated at that time to provide all the sales and marketing information in support of the product release. That certainly was the case last year.
  • Options
    I'm not questioning your information... but can you tell me the source of the 2008 changes and how reliable it is? I'm very interested in the 2008 model.

I've heard "rumors" that all 2008 models will be going to ODB-III diagnostics. This worries tremendously since ODB-II had a lot of problems when it first came out. I've read that ODB-III may also have a transmitter that has the ability report your engine status to state agencies... i.e. emissions, etc. Can you say Big Brother is watching?

"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you"
  • Options
    mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    My source is Tundra Solutions. They are always accurate with the PDF files they post from Toyota so I am confident in the information. And the current models already have all the data collection and storage capability to be accessed by state agencies. In Massachusetts when they do annual inspections they no longer test at the tailpipe, they simply connect to the car and read the info from the stored data to confirm correct emissions performance.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

Not in Florida. :) I used to live in Connecticut and they taxed anything that moves. After I left there, I had to prove every year for 4 years that I moved... they kept trying to tax me.

Florida is easy... no emission testing, at all. No vehicle testing for that matter. They stopped testing about 10 years ago because people basically found it inconvenient. I think they had some corruption issues too.
  • Options
    Thanks mem4 for finding the 2008 Avalon features. The rumor mill is officially come to and end.

The following changes are made for the 2008 model year.

1. Model Line-up
    Models with the U151E 5-speed automatic transaxle have been discontinued, and the U660E 6-speed automatic transaxle have been introduced.

2. Exterior
    The design of the headlight, radiator grille, front bumper, and front fog light has been changed.
    The design of the rear combination light has been changed. F
    On the Limited grade, chrome plated outside door handles are standard equipment.
    The design of the 17-inch aluminum disc wheels provided on the Touring and XLS grades has been changed.
    The following exterior colors are available, including 2 new colors.
    070 White Pearl Crystal Shine Carryover
    1F7 Silver Metallic New
    1G3 Gray Metallic New
    202 Black Carryover
    3Q7 Dark Red Mica Carryover
    4Q2 Beige Mica Metallic Carryover
    6U0 Light Green Metallic Carryover
    8R5 Blue Metallic Carryover
    8P4 Dark Blue Mica Metallic Carryover

3. Interior
    The design of the ornament on the instrument panel has been changed.
    The design of the dial on the center register has been changed.
    The yellow green illumination on the air conditioning control switches has been changed to pure green LED lights.
    A removable coin tray is provided in the console box.
    The design of the door trim ornament has been changed.
    The design of the shift lever knob has been changed.
    The color of the shift indicator bezel has been changed.

4. 2GR-FE Engine
    The ECM has been relocated from the inside of the instrument panel to the engine compartment.
    The ECM has been provided separately from the ECT ECU. F

5. U660E Automatic Transaxle
    The U660E 6-speed automatic transaxle is used on all ’08 Avalon.

6. Brake
    The brake master cylinder and brake booster have been made compact for weight reduction.
    The front brake uses a brake pad with a high friction coefficient, which improves the braking feeling.
    The rear brake caliper cylinder made of aluminum is used for weight reduction.

7. Tire Pressure Warning System
    Minor cchanges in thee tirem monitoring system.

The following DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are added.
    DTC Code Detection Item
    C2126/26 Transmitter ID not Received in Main Mode
    C2173/73 Vehicle Speed or Engine Speed Signal Malfunction
    C2194/4 Engine Speed Signal Error (Test Mode DTC)

8. Meter
    A cruise SET indicator light has been added to the combination meter on the models without the dynamic laser type cruise control system.
    The design of the multi-information display has been changed.
    An indicator light for the Bluetooth) hands-free system has been added.
    The following display functions have been added to the multi-information display: MP3 (MPEG Audio Layer-3), WMA (Windows Media Audio), and AUX mode.

9. Multi Display
    A display function has been added for the Bluetooth) hands-free system.
    The following display functions have been added: MP3 (MPEG Audio Layer-3), WMA (Windows Media Audio), and AUX mode.

10. Wireless Door Lock Control System
    The transmitter has been integrated in the key.

11. Inner Rear View Mirror
    An illumination has been added to the switches for the inner rear view mirror with the automatic glare-resistant EC (Electrochromic) function.

12. Power Seat System
    An 8-way power front passenger seat with a lumbar support function is optional equipment on the XLS and Limited grades.

13. Rear Sunshade System
    A function to return the rear sunshade to the original position after the activation of the reverse-linked auto-down function has been added.
    While the rear sunshade is moving up, if the shift lever is moved from D to R, the rear sunshade will move down. If the shift lever is moved from R to D, the rear sunshade will move up automatically.

14. Audio System
    A new style of audio head unit is used.
    A new Bluetooth) hands-free system is used.
    An ON hook switch and an OFF hook switch have been added to the steering pad switch.

You can download the document here:

http://www.avalonfaq.com/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=47
  • Options
    Thanks to mem4 and smuook for leading me to TundraSolutions.com, where I was able to take a 12-month subscription for $12.50 and then read/download many pages of pdfs about the 2008 Avalon new features.

One of the things I found interesting was the number of 2008 colors that are listed as carryovers from 2007, even though there are no 2007 Avalons with those color names. So my assumption is that the colors of the "carryovers" are basically the same but the names have been changed to help with marketing. For example: Dark Red Mica is listed as a carryover from 2007, but the only color even close to that this year was Cassis Pearl, so I am assuming it is basically the same color. Similar with Silver Pine Mica for 2007. I am assuming that Light Green Metallic for 2008, listed as a carryover, is basically the same color. -- Do you guys agree?
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the 2008 Avalon will have a back up camera?
  • Options
    I ordered my 2008 Avalon last week. Was told it will build about mid August with a delivery at the end of the month. In reference to the back up camera - from the information I have seen it does not have one, even as an option. Too bad as I would have added that to my list of wants. I'm probably old hat but I feel that safety related items should come as standard equipment and items such as blue tooth, high tech radio, etc should be available as options. It does appear that someone at Toyota is listening though as many of the wants I have seen posted here have been added and most as standard equipment. To say I'm anxious for the arrival would be putting it mildly.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. From reading the other posts with all the options listed, it does not appear. What a shame! I have one on my 2007 Sienna and do not want another car without it.
    Maybe next year....
  • Options
    zebra5zebra5 Member Posts: 47
    Unless I've misunderstood, one big exception appears to be Stability Control. It appears that important safety feature will still be an option in '08. And unless they change the way it is packaged, you add it "bundled" with heated seats, at least in my state. For virtually all in-stock inventory I've seen on dealers' lots, the distributor (Gulf States Toyota) only adds that option to XLS or Limited models I can't afford, or XL or Touring models with other options (e.g., moonroof) I'd rather not pay for.

That bugs me, and it's why I've maintained Stability Control is a lot more expensive to add than just the approx $500 invoice cost of that stand-alone option.
  • Options
    A sales manager at my local dealer (Henderson, NV) told me today that they have four 2008 Avalons coming in when shipping starts. Two of those have already been sold. They will be built around mid-month and arrive in late August.

I would assume that release of marketing information to consumers should begin soon.
  • Options
    Your are correct, stability control is still an option. Last years invoice was $520. I have it on my 300C and felt it is an option that I want to keep. If it can keep you out of just one mishap it will have more than paid for itself. Traction control and brake assist are included in that price also. As I mentioned before, I believe that any item that is safety related should be standard equipment. That is pretty much the case with the Hyundai Azera. That being said though, unless you are paying attention to what you are doing, no amount of safety equipment can replace inattentiveness and stupidity.
  • Options
    Has anyone heard how the earthquake in Japan is going to affect delivery of Avalons. I heard that Toyota would shut down all of its plants in Japan until they can find out the extent of damage to Riken, a manufacturer that makes parts for Toyota, Nissan,Subaru and Mitsubishi. There was no indication as to what models it affected. The plant, I read, produces critical transmission and engine parts for all three auto companies. I may have just answered my own question. It appears that the company supplies parts only to auto assembly plants in Japan. Since the Avalon is assembled in Kentucky it may have no impact at all. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Follow this link for the latest on the 08 Avalon straight from the horse's mouth. :) www.pressroom.toyota.com
    Mackabee
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The names will remain the same. Third party info doesn't give you the right name. Only new one looks like the Magnetic gray which is the same as on Camry and the new 08 Highlander. Looks like Phantom gray is gone.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Mackabee, unless I searched incorrectly, there is NO information on the 2008 Avalon on the Toyota pressroom site as of today.
  • Options
    The color information from Toyota's own Outline of New Features lists two new colors for the 2008 Avalon: Silver Metallic and Gray Metallic.

Seven other colors are listed as "Carryover," but their names have been changed, undoubtedly for marketing purposes.

The codes for the colors that have been carried over are the same as last year, so this is one way to confirm that particular colors are unchanged even though the name may be different. For instance, I learned that Dark Red Mica on the 2008 model is the same as Cassis Pearl on the 2007, because the two have the same code number.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the next model change is scheduled since the 2005 introduction date Was so weird

Thank you for the information