Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Escape

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
The new Escape is on its way - please let us know what you think.

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    i wonder if they did the same thing as the '05 explorer? invoice stayed the same, but dropped the sticker price.
    as a current escape owner, i would have liked drivetrain upgrades, before styling changes.
    interior might be better, but i need to see it without the nav. overall, i still like the escape.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The new 3.5L V6 and the 6speed auto is at least 2 years away. Ford simply does not have enough factory capacity for right now to give this to the Escape.

I just hope that the heads that are rolling are the ones that screwed things up.

Mark.
  • drdan3drdan3 Member Posts: 13
    A few points about other weird decisions made by Ford regarding the 2008 Escape which I drove today.
    1. All grabbars have been removed, seems odd given that they have made the vehicle look more like a truck than ever
    2. The radio/climate control system is a mixed bag. It includes a "recirculation" button for the first time (how long did that take!) but depending on the setting (even without defrost) it will resort to outside air. The non-nav radio uses a led display panel above the air outlets and thus creates a completely "nonstandard" radio arrangement. I suppose this would not be so bad, but it really sucks if you want to use aftermarket parts (nav kit, bluetooth). Bluetooth is not available directly from the factory (what century is Ford living in?). The nav kit is $2700 and does nothing more than the nav function. There are no slots for SD memory cards so that it might be possible to control MP3s using the touchscreen. There is an auxillary input, so at least that's something.
    3. The brakes seemed mushy...
    On the other hand, the ride was generally pleasant and the handling seemed good. But then again, that's true for the competition like Rav4 and CRV, both of which get better gas mileage in non-hybrid form. I was set to buy the vehicle, but given the issues raised above...I will have to look at the competition more carefully.
  • quattrogquattrog Member Posts: 1
    Boy, has Ford dropped the ball on the new Escape. I've liked the look of the Escape for some time, But, it's getting old. And the fuel economy has not been all the great. I've been holding off hoping that the 2008 Escape would be worth the wait. But sadly, it's not. In the looks department, it's taken a big step backwards. How can a company come out with the Edge, and then this version of the Escape? Wouldn't you think that the Escape would follow in it's big brothers footsteps as far as styling goes? But the bigger dissapointent is the power and drive train. I can't believe Ford didn't address this with new engines and transmissions. If I want a small SUV, I'm left no choice but to look to the Rav4 or even now the New Mitsubishi Outlander. Both heads and shoulders above the Escape, and for less. Sorry Ford, I really wanted to purchase American. But you've given me no choice.

Glenn Strouse
    I would definitely consider the Mazda CX-7 before the Mitsu. ICK.

As for the Escape, at least its short comings will only be with us for about 2 model years.

The 6 speed tranny is definately coming in a couple of years and I hope the 3.5L is as well.

As for the blue tooth, if you can wait a few months, Ford will www.syncmyride.com

Mark
  • 02whttrib02whttrib Member Posts: 39
    I'd not recommend anything by Mazda. Their warranty follow-up is the worst in my experience. I've purchased 15 new cars over the last 20 years and Mazda is the hands down winner of the worst manufacturer experience.

I've purchased a Miata and a Tribute. I still own the Miata.

Compare the Outlander against the Escape and you'll think the Escape is 20 years behind. I have no affiliation with Mitsu and do not own one.

Ray
  • fjb37fjb37 Member Posts: 5
    Went to the Chicago Auto Show to look at the 08 Escape(we have a 05 Limited). Very disapointed at the display or rather the lack of one.

Ford had two on display. One Hybird on an elevated platform with the doors opened and a Limited on the floor locked up tight. The Hybird had rear disk brakes and the Limited had rear drum brakes.

One improvement I noticed was no more right hand stalk on the steering column for the wipers. It was impossible to tell if the tilt range of the column was improved or not as you could not get in to try it. The tilt range on our 05 is useless. The interior looked better but is still made of hard/cheap plastic but it did look as if the elbow rest in the door panel had a soft insert. That would be an improvement.

Nothing there to make the wife and me race to our Ford dealer to trade the 05 for an 08.

Ford was more interested in promoting the 08 Taurus (AKA Five Hundred). Just my $0.02. :cry:

FredB
    Seems the same to me as previous generation...IE does not move enough.

Mark.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    The pictures on the internet don't do this vehicle justice. I saw a red limited 08 Escape today and it looked very nice. A definite improvement in my opinion.. ;)
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    My wife and I had just finished test driving a new Santa Fe GLS (Canada version) and decided to drive down the road to look at a new Escape. We'd also taken a new Edge out a few weeks prior.

We didn't get a chance to drive a new Escape, but spent some time checking out interior features, leg room, etc. Our first impression was that compared to the Santa Fe, the interior of the Escape looks very cheap and dull. Having said that, in Canada, it comes with features that the Santa Fe doesn't have, such as in-dash CD-changer and aux input for MP3 player. I'll post again once we've had a chance to drive a new Escape.

2007 Santa FE

2008 Ford Escape.

I'm not a fan of fake wood. Also, I like the top of dash display and the blue lighting. Lots of hard plastic though.
    I like that the controls on the Hyundai are mounted higher up by moving the vents to the sides.

Mark
    So, now that we've thoroughly test driven an Escape Limited, I will happily withdraw my previous criticisms about the interior. We drove a black / black Limited, and came away very impressed. This vehicle is now on our very short list, and maybe even ahead of the Santa Fe. We have yet to experience a new Mitsubishi Outlander though.

I have a few questions though for anyone willing to respond...

- Why rear drum brakes? Obviously they're cheaper to maintain, but most vehicles in this class have disc all round.

- How effective is the AWD? Is it activated electronically? Is it a good system? I do like that the Santa Fe and Outlander can lock in the AWD at low speed. I don't believe the Escape has this feature.

- Does the "shuffle" feature work just for the CD being played, or across all CD's in the 6 CD magazine?

Thanks!
    The Escape AWD is electronic and engages within 50 milliseconds.

The "low" on the Santa Fe and Outlander is a gimic. Neither of those 2 trucks have either the towing capacity, or the ground clearance to go anywhere or do anything that would reasonably require a low range on the 4x4.

Shuffle works for the CD being played.

Rear drums: Ford claims that stopping distands are the same with the reat drums.

Mark.
    The Escape AWD is electronic and engages within 50 milliseconds

Thanks - the AWD on our 03 CRV is activated by pumps, and tends to be slow sometimes. I'm looking forward to a newer and more responsive system.

The "low" on the Santa Fe and Outlander is a gimic. Neither of those 2 trucks have either the towing capacity, or the ground clearance to go anywhere or do anything that would reasonably require a low range on the 4x4.

No plans to tow or go offroad. With the snow that we get, we do like the ability to lock into awd at low speeds. I could see it as being useful, or at least adding some security to what can sometimes be an interesting drive.

Thanks for your response! :)
    No plans to tow or go offroad. With the snow that we get, we do like the ability to lock into awd at low speeds. I could see it as being useful, or at least adding some security to what can sometimes be an interesting drive.

Low range is used to engage the shorter gear in the 2 speed differential. You have to be at a complete stop, shift the truck to neutral then set the diff to low and then your speed is limited to 15 mph.

Low does not give you better traction it merely provides more torque and more engine braking.

People who go off road (not dirt or gravel, real off road trails) use low range for maximum engine braking when going down long descents where going over 3 to 10 mph will mean total disaster and relying only on brakes would smoke'um.

People who tow boats can use low range to get pull a boat out of a steep ramp.

If you ever try to drive through deep enough snow where a "low range" is necessary, you will probably be in deep enough to break your axles and end up stranded due to the overall low clearance.

People who actually do the types of things for which a "low range" would be used, would never by a Santa Fe or a CRV to do them, hence its a gimick

Escape has no buttons or knobs because the system is constantly measuring wheel speed differences and can almost anticipate wheel slip and will engage with in the blink of an eye. This system is closer to Honda's SH-AWD on the MDX/RDX then the hydraulic system used on the CRV.
    Sorry - I think we're both talking cross-purposes here. No problem.

To be clear, I'm not searching for a low gear on any of the vehicles that I'm considering. I merely noticed the ability to lock in AWD at lower speeds (eg below 30 kmh) and liked that feature as a means to ensure maximum traction in situations where I should be driving slowly anyway.
    Escape doesn't need the switch because its system already reacts so quickly.

Mark.
  • dificadifica Member Posts: 9
    I really like the look of that thing, reminds me of the 2nd generation Ford Explorer, but the grille shape is better. Though i like the squared off looks, it looks a bit draggy when compared to the "modern" crossovers, and i suppose that'll hurt the fuel economy somewhat.
    6 speed prolly won't arrive until 2009.

Mark
    at an '08 escape. it has enough features that i won't rule it out. the drivetrain does dampen my enthusiasm, though.
    Its tried and true. Parts are plentiful. Everyone knows how to work on that engine.

The Engine can trace back to the Duratec 2.5L introduced for the 1994 European Ford Mondeo. This engine was named a Wards Automotive 10Best 4 times.

The bored out 3.0 version was introduced in 1996 and different version offered on everything for the Taurus to the Jag X-type to Noble M400 Brit supercar.

The trans. is the Ford CD4E transmission which was introduced for the 4 cylinder 1994 Mazda 626. Ford upgraded the design in 1996 and 1998. Other than problems with the initial few model years, the Trans seems to be problem free.

Tow package is recommended for the additional trans oil cooler.

Mark.
    if the towing package includes a transmission cooler, it's worth the money.
    i read a rumor of a 'performance improved' 30dt being introduced before the 6 speed. heard anything about that?
    btw, we have an '04 escape limited, so i am familiar with the current drivetrain.
  • jski1jski1 Member Posts: 5
    I've been intensively shopping for an SUV and the Escape is on my short list. A few things I'd like to note after reading some previous emails:

There is no "locking" feature for AWD. It's electronic. Outlander allows you to be only in 2WD, or 2WD with the auto feature, or AWD locked in. The Santa Fe AWD is electronic but you can over-ride it and lock it as well. The Escape cannot be locked (to the best of my knowledge).

The rear drum brakes of the Escape bother me. I have a 97 Explore with 4 wheel disc and to go back to drum.....CRAZY. I do most of my repairs and replacing disk breaks can be done with your eyes closed. Drum are not so easy and more time consuming.

The Escape has a nice quiet interior and comfortable ride but power is not up to par nor is breaking.

With all that said, I very well may go with the Escape even though I am still looking at the Santa Fe and Outlander (may look at the VUE as well). I just wanted to pass that along. Oh-the "08" Hybrid does have rear disk but no electronic stabilization like the non-Hybrids have standard? Another bad call. I'd love to wait a few more years for the Escape to catch up but my Explorer at 170K needs work and I don't want to put any $$$ in it at this point.
    "There is no "locking" feature for AWD. It's electronic. Outlander allows you to be only in 2WD, or 2WD with the auto feature, or AWD locked in. The Santa Fe AWD is electronic but you can over-ride it and lock it as well. The Escape cannot be locked (to the best of my knowledge)."

As I stated previously, the Escape does not have a locked in switch because the system does not need one. The Santa Fe and Outlander do not use the fast acting electronic clutch that the Escape uses. The Escape can engage AWD within the blink of an eye. Quicker than you could reach over to flip a switch.

"The rear drum brakes of the Escape bother me. I have a 97 Explore with 4 wheel disc and to go back to drum.....CRAZY. I do most of my repairs and replacing disk breaks can be done with your eyes closed. Drum are not so easy and more time consuming."

Funny, most shops charge LESS for drum brake service because the can be serviced faster. Perhaps you missed your true calling as a brake tech. Notwithstanding same, Ford claims these drums are capable of the the same performance as the previous discs.

Funny how we easily accept that today's 4 cylinder engine can out perform a typical 6 cylinder of the 1990s and the typical 8 cylinder of the 1980s; yet, we question the ability of anyone to improve on the drum brake?

"The Escape has a nice quiet interior and comfortable ride but power is not up to par nor is breaking."

I would think that BREAKING less than the competition would be a good thing. As for braking, are you assuming Escape does not brake as well as the competition or is there a comparison test you can point us to.

Mark.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Drum are not so easy and more time consuming.

Yeah, but on my minivan I'm on my 3rd set of front pads and rotors, but still have the original rear brakes at 117,000 miles. My Outback has rear discs and they have a parking brake drum in the rear discs - not sure how much fun that's going to be to tackle.

Rear discs is almost more of a deal killer for me than rear drums would be. ;)
    I just discovered that the base Mariner can only be had with a manual driver's seat. a >$25,000 vehicle with a manual drivers seat! Ford is so screwed up sometimes. Is anyone there talking to anyone else? Do the product planers EVER GET OUT OF THE "GLASS HOUSE".

$19,995 Fusion SE has a power driver's seat. Why on earth would someone pay $25,000+ for a vehicle without a power drivers seat? WHY ESPECIALLY when it is still standard on the Escape XLT?

Sometimes I almost think Ford deserves to go bankrupt.

Mark.
  • jski1jski1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Mark (mschmal) sounds like I stuck a cord in you? And thanks for the spelling correction. I didn't know this was an english class. I bet you gave yourself a pat on the back for that one? Yeah? Good, you deserve it. Now, do you own any tools? Craftsman sells great starter kits. Go out and buy a set, change your rear brake shoes, and let me know how it went. Auto shops charge more for front disk because typically they turn the rotors at the same time. Turning a drum is much quicker and involves less labor than turning rotors. When I commented on brake shoe replacement it was just that. Pads are easier than shoes-try it sometime then let's hear real facts. Another thing-I didn't say the Ford Escape had poor BRAKING (hey I got the spelling right that time) because of the drums-I simply said it was not up to par in comparison to others I test drove.

And hey how fast is the "blink of an eye"? Pretty fast eh? Maybe I should go to my dealer tomorrow and say I hear that Escape switches into AWD faster than the blink of an eye-I'll take one and if it's any slower I want my money back.

Mark-this is a FORUM not an exam or an article in a magazine. So what if my spelling isn't perfect? And so what if what I say goes against what Ford claims? Buying a car isn't about what a manufacture claims-it's about real people, asking real questions and finding out for themselves.

Don't ruin a good thing-keep your anger to yourself or find another Forum to scrutinize and spell check.

How many words can you find misspelled in this post?

Waaaaaaaaa!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How many words can you find misspelled in this post?

I suggest we drop this line or someone will be tempted to start grammar checks. At least you guys use punctuation and don't type in ALL CAPS! ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Regarding the Intelligent AWD system of the Escape/Mariner/Tribute.....

In a word, it is fantastic, transparent, seamless, etc. etc. Okay, more than one word.

I recently sold my 05 Tribute i, AWD, 5 speed manual trans. I'm that way....loved it, but wanted to try a Prius. I figured I'd go for an 08 this coming winter, but have now found that I cannot get the 5 speed manual with the AWD now. Such a shame, since it was the best balanced configuration. Maybe the front wheel drive with traction control will be okay. I'll give one a try when the time comes.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The 2008 model does have some major items not standard on the 2007. Side curtain air bags, stability control, better heating and a/c with recirculate button. Minor items--outside temp. gauge and compass. However, there are a few things missing--rear disc brakes and grab handles. I use the grab handles all the time for cleaning the windshield.

Not sure if the 08 has perforated leather like the 07. Perforated leather is a lot cooler in the summer. Probably left out the grab handles due to the curtain air bags, but, other SUVs have both.

Had our 07 in for oil and filter. Thought I would do a quick comparison.
  • rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    I just can't understand how the 2008 can drop a star on the NHTSA front driver crash rating and gain a star on the front passenger when compared to the 2007 model. Frankly, I was ready to pull the trigger on this vehicle but I will not settle for a three star crash rating. It's rock bottom for the class. Ford, I'm trying to be a fan boy...throw me a bone.
    i went to the nhtsa site. you are right about the stars. it makes no sense,though. too bad there are no details about the vehicle specific tests.
    The Escape was never a very good performer in the crash tests.

The basic unibody structure of this car goes back to 1994 Mazda 626. Before IIHS testing and before the tougher fed test.

In my mind though the IIHS test with more closly simulates a real world crash is a better indicater than the Feds.

Mark.
  • aenlooaenloo Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 2008 Escape Limited. No complaints really (coming from a 1999 Explorer EB) minus this strange item; there is a white hose which suddenly came dangling loose near the gas pedal. Needless to say while driving this was uhhh... panic inducing. ("What is that thing catching on my foot!?!") It looks like it's for air perhaps? I see a hole to the right of the gas pedal, in the console, that seems the likely place the hose was originally connected. Ideas? Yes I'd like to avoid having to make a full-on service appointment if it's a simple fix. ;-)

Thanks!
    J.
    I would have it looked at by the dealer. Hope it in not the air conditioning drain hose or you will have water on the floor.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Are you kidding me?

OMG Ford is really hurting :(
    What about GM using rear drum brakes on the Silverado?

In the past drum brakes faded because the organic brake shoe decomposed under heat creating a gas that came between the shoe and the drum causing fade.

If Ford can develope a shoe that does not decompose and does not fade, then what is the difference. Its called progress.

The benefit to you is that your brake job costs less.

Mark.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    That sucks too, but im sure that silverado has drums only on some models, and you can upgrade.

I guess we are lucky to get 4 doors on this new escape. But if one of the doors was just a grocery bag you would say "hey, at least it saves weight and fuel economy, and a lighter car makes it faster!"

I do not live in a turd world country. I should not have rear-drums.
  • minschy25minschy25 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I just leased a 2008 XLT 4WD Ford Escape on Sat. May 5. I was just admiring it and realized that the drivers side wheel well looks to be rusted. I am going to take it back to the dealership tonight, but before I did so I wanted to know if the dealership might refuse to take care of it since all of the papers for the lease were signed?
    can you be more specific about it? the wheel well liner is mostly plastic.
    is convered under warranty.

Mark.
    that was their first and so far, only post. TROxx, is my guess.
  • bzribeebzribee Member Posts: 27
    It's a few months later, but I just went to the web site you mentioned and the Escape is NOT on the list of vehicles to get the program. Am I missing something?

• kam108kam108 Member Posts: 16
    I just bought an 08 escape, and went to the NHTSA website to check out the crash ratings. It's very strange. The 08 escapes made up to 6/6/07 have 3 stars, and the ones made after 6/6 have 4 for the driver instead of 3! It almost sounds like ford put something back into it that they had removed, because the weight also went up from the earlier date to the newer date. I can't get an answer from Ford. I was unlucky enough to buy one made before 6/6.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Anyone have a clue how to turn off the autodimming feature on the interior rearview mirror? This thing is driving me nuts! It's constantly changing from bright and clear to so dark I can hardly make out the car behind me. It seems to be triggered by light and shadows, so on a sunny day (even a cloudy one) it darkens every time I pass under a tree or anything casting a shadow.

Is this something I have to have reprogrammed by the dealer, or is there a switch I just can't find?

Ladyblue :confuse:
    there is no off switch any more. Call your dealer.

Mark
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    The dealer said there's not much they can do except replace the auto-dimming mirror with an old-fashioned one that has a flip lever on the bottom. I've decided to just leave it alone and see if I can get used to it.
  • jared_mcjared_mc Member Posts: 7
    OK I am a happy 2008 Ford Escape owner but in a way I feel cheated. I have always wanted to have bluetooth capability in my car but Ford never offered this ability. I have been a Ford person forever and have been waiting for years for this ability before I got a new car and now Im starting to regret it, shortly after I purchased my new Escape I learned that will be using this technology in all 2008 cars except the Escape. I was devastated that something I wanted for so long comes after I finally give in a purchase a car. I think I have been cheated and its not fair that all the other 2008 owners will have that option to get this technology while we as current 2008 owners will not I really dont think its fair. Does anybody else feel my pain. :mad:

Another problem that Im having and im curious to see if anybody else has. I have been having horrible traction when it is raining, here's an example. When the tires are wet from the road and Im sitting at a light and I hit the gas to go the tires will just spin and spin and finally get traction and start moving I was wondering if anybody else has this problem. :confuse:
    Yours must be front wheel drive. My 2007 four wheel drive has terrific traction. Never spins in the rain. What make of tires do you have?
  • jared_mcjared_mc Member Posts: 7
    Yeah all 2008s are FWD I cant remember the tires but they are the ones from the factory for the 16 Rims.