Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

Comments

• tractor_17tractor_17 Member Posts: 4
    A little heads up to the rest of you.
    I picked up my 08 GC in OCT 07.
    It now has a little over 27K on it, and while backing up hill with wheel turned, something fell apart in the tranny.
    It has been in the dealership for over 3 weeks now, because they don't have parts for the 6 speed tranny yet. They promised me Dodge found some parts for it, and maybe next week I'll have it back!

When I dropped it off, they told me that I was the first, but now there is another one on the lift next to mine, SAME PROBLEM!

I told them that I had heard the tranny problems were fixed on the new 6 speed, to which the service tech replied "It is the same tranny with 2 more gears added"

Be warned, tranny problems are a coming.
  • rjomrjom Member Posts: 21
    Yes, when I first got my car I was worried..I got about 19-21mpg,down from my previous 2004SXT. But then I took highway trip, and got a miraculous 31mpg...never repeated that, but on the highway my mpg indicator now will consistently register about 27-29mpg with highway only. Once I get off the highway, it goes right back to the 22-24 avg, but this car is such a tank, I feel very lucky with this. My wife's much smaller vehicles get the same or less. But, I must admit, I drive specifically for the good mileage since I am filling my tank 3x/wk.
  • scoutllscoutll Member Posts: 40
    Mine started out the first few hundred miles at 16-17 then went up to about 19-20 for a few hundred miles. I haven't reset the computer for about 5000 miles in order to get a good average. My daughter was constantly resetting the computer on hers because she thought it was giving her better mileage to do so. She would press the reset while driving down the highway and say "look, now I'm getting 32 mpg. That's because you are starting over while basically coasting. I told her to press it while you are sitting in the driveway and you'll get 0. The longer it goes, the more reliable the average really is.
  • lourdymarlourdymar Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same issue as you since the day I bought the vehicle. Thought the problem could be fixed. It is now almost 4 months since I purchased the vehicle and nothing has been accomplished. I am going to start the Lemon law this afternoon. Don't know how successful it will be, but will try. I am from the Killeen area. Have they fixed your problem? I live in East Texas, but will even drive home to see if they can fix this problem. We drove to Waco this weekend and the noise was dreadful!!! My kids are even complaining. My next step is to get the media involved and stop Dodge dealers from selling this vehicle!! Please let me know if your problems has been resolved.
  • scanditscandit Member Posts: 3
    I was driving through Waco this week as well and was having a horrible time with the whistling. Went from a straight whistle to sounding like a lame duck. The whistling was bad before but not this bad. Just gonna add it to my long list of problems.
  • tinitustinitus Member Posts: 11
    Yes, Kent at Dodge Country in Killeen stopped the whistle. They seem to be experienced with this defect and did a great job on my van. I think it would be worth the drive. And I think Dodge should reimburse you for gas money!
    The manufacturer is not doing a good job communicating with dealership/service depts. or with suffering customers! I think it would be great for the media to get hold of this- the whistling sound is pretty amazing and would make a great story. No one understands the problem until they actually hear it. It is so loud! I think you should take a reporter for a ride on a windy day before you get it fixed. Good luck!
  • akrehelyakrehely Member Posts: 4
    We took our Caravan back to the Dealer a week ago Monday. That was four days after we purchased it. They had a service bulletin from Chrysler that addressed the problem and we left it with them for six hours. So far, we have not heard the noise. Apparently, they followed the instructions recommended by Chrysler which we were able to see when they showed us the bulletin. It involves placing a bead of silicon down the passenger side of the windshield. We'll be taking it back this week because they had to replace the interior plastic molding on the inside portion of the windshield on the passenger side. It was warped but apparently that wasn't the cause of the noise. You are right though. The noise was awful. We'll be taking it down the same stretch of highway this week near Ocean City, Maryland where we first heard the noise. If the wind is right, we should know for sure if the problem has been solved. We do know that there was a least one other GC ar on their lot that had the same problem because we took it for a test drive after we brought our car back to the Dealer to let them hear the noise. Much to their surprise, they heard the noise in that GC too. If your dealer is unable to fix your car, you may want to have them call our Dealer in Maryland. It's Barrett Chrysler in Berlin, Maryland - 410-641-0444. Good luck!
  • slacker10000slacker10000 Member Posts: 13
    I have the Town and Country touring with navigation and DVD, Has anyone experienced a problem where you start the car, but none of the electrical guages work? The car drove, but speedometer, widows, DVD, air conditioner, key fob, locks, etc did not work. It drove for about 15 minutes until all kicked in and turned on, Any insight on this problem before I bring back to the dealer is appreciated.
    If you don't want to drive all the way to Dodge Country in Killeen with the whistle, you can try the duct tape trick- tape along the vertical lines from top to bottom of the windshield where the glass meets the molding and the molding meets the metal body of the car. The whistle is created as air flows across or up along the molding. The tape gave us much needed relief during a 4-hour trip. We only had the tape on for one day, so we did not have much residue when we removed it.
    Hi - i want to clarify my original post. When my wife hits the button on her key fob to open the trunk, it immediately starts to open then shuts. It is at that point the dashboard controls go blank, DVD and radio does not work, air does not work. The wipers are the only thing that turns on automatically. The car still drives and after about 15 minutes everything kicks back on. I appreciate if anyone could provide insight on what is the problem. I am bringing the car for service on Monday and would like some intelligence on the issue. Thanks.
  • alsterlingalsterling Member Posts: 18
    Thanks so much for posting your experiences, all of you, on this "wind noise", which for me, hit its peak of frustration yesterday!

I'm in South Orange County, CA, and drive an '08 Grand Caravan. It's a company car managed under PHH fleet services. I've had either Dodge or Chrysler vans since 1998, and only on the '02 do I remember a honking sound, but I could never get it to duplicate in front of a technician, so I suffered with it for 2 1/2 years; my guess was that it came from the air-vent doors not completely closing.

This HONKING GEESE issue is incredible! For my van, 70 to 80 mph seems to trigger it, and especially if I'm driving through a crosswind situtation. The sound can originate from one, two or more areas of the dashboard all at once. (What a symphony!)

A month ago I called PHH maintenance, and they didn't know anything about this. I then called my local dealer, and got "someone" who said it was for real, Chrysler-Dodge was working on it, and there was no fix.....call back in a month or so. Being at the dealer yesterday to get some touchup paint, I stopped at the service area, and hailed down a rep., who said he hadn't heard of the problem and recommeded I call Chrysler on their customer service line.....800-992-1997. DON'T DO IT unless you want to get a recipe for Tandori Chicken and chutney rice!!! I spent 15 minutes giving the Indian rep., probably a nice guy but in the wrong job, alot of information. He never even addressed my repeated question about the existence of a repair bulletin. It drove me bonkers. I was fuming that I had to call Chrysler at all, and worse, that a service rep at the dealer wouldn't try to dig around and find the bulletin? So I called PHH right after I hung up on the "Asia Connection", and they called the same dealer while I was on-line.....but this time, they got someone who had heard of two other wind noise issues.........roof rack and sunroof! I spoke with this service rep., and after he repeated the roof rack and sunroof, he said.......well, there's one more here......"honking sound windshield issue, silicon repair." I finally heard my van's disease being uttered by the dealer; a bulletin #PT9001890 does exist with the fix! I guess the first service rep didn't have the time to help me? (why do they call them service reps?)

Bottom line, I agree with you......Chrysler-Dodge, as I perceive it, is acting stupid on this issue, and maybe publicity would be bring them out! DON'T CALL THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE unless you want a severe run-around. For a dealer not to know about an issue that appears to be epidemic is rediculous. (Other managers in our firm have the same issue, and PHH has been receiving calls on this). Why do I have to search the web to solve this kind of problem.......?......maybe Chrysler-Dodge is playing the numbers and wants to hold down the negative publicity? And I doubt if I'll go back to the dealer I was at yesterday, as I'm afraid they'll ask me to hold something while they silicon the windshield. Actually, I may do this myself at home.

By the way, I called dealer in Maryland and they transfered me to the body shop, as they said they did a repair last week. Maybe it was "akrehely's" van? Now that I have ID'd the bulletin and fix, I'll call a few more dealers until I get the actual fix instructions. At this point, I don't see a problem running clear silicon all the way around the windshield. I did notice what might be "open space" issues in the bottom corners of the windshield, where the flexible exterior rubber molding overlaps the glass. I'm thinking the rubber starts flapping at high frequency when the wind gets under it. That would explain the "wind through the grass reed", or honking sounds.

Thanks for sharing..........Al
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    ...ok, ok...I'm nearing the end of my existing Odyssey lease, and have decided to return to a Chrysler product...Sto-N-Go has won me over. I'm going T&C Limited for the 4.0, HID headlamps and the interior upgrades. I'm curious, have the wind noise issues been more Caravan or T&C ?? Honda had this problem when their '05 body style was new, and it IS solveable. My previous Chryslers have had minor electrical glitches, leaking sunroof drains, and minor suspension part issues...NO car is perfect these days apparently, probably due to assembly line automation or some such thing. So, any overly outrageous reason not to take the plunge ??

...oh yeah, that tranny issue a few posts back. That'll be interesting to see how it turns out. And all the vans will be Windsor Ont vans from now on.

Thanks !!
    RK......if you're referring to the "honking noise at 70 mph+ and exaggerated with crosswinds, then to the best of my knowledge, that wind noise is an issue with the vertical rubber molding strips on either side of the windshield. That being the apparent cause, the Caravan or T&C should both suffer the same issue....wouldn't ya' think? I bought some clear silicon today, and will surgically apply it around the shield and under the rubber. By tomorrow it will have cured and I should never have to hear the "Honking Seranade of 5 Geese" again!

Al
  • jeffuhdejeffuhde Member Posts: 10
    Just bought a T&C Limited with Stow & Go for the same reasons - 4.0. Van was built in May '08 in Windsor - one of the last ones I'm assuming since apparently they shut down the assembly line on May 9th (according to one of the dealers I talked to when I asked about ordering). Knock on wood - but so far so good at 850+ miles. No windshield noises, no problems with sliding doors being too sensitive, etc. Don't have the sunroof and it would be too early to tell on that one anyway. Put 600 miles on it this weekend driving up and back some of the Maine coast. Yesterday it was 87 here and I did drive on the interstate (about 75 mph). Not the intense heat that others have seen in places like TX, FL, and OK further back in the posts here that might have contributed to the seal(s) softening around the windshield. Time will tell I guess.

Still trying to figure out the MyGig system completely. Just have to keep using it to learn it. Navigation is a bit annoying if you've used something like Nuvi before - won't let you find certain things if the vehicle is in motion - curious if anyone knows about any software patches to override that feature btw. Also the database for points of interest isn't as extensive in some geographical areas in my opinion as the Nuvi. Still the screen is easy to read and it does have some nice features to it.

Got 19 & 20 mpg on first two tanks with mixed driving on both. Overall, pleased with the purchase so far. MTF.
  • cinann131cinann131 Member Posts: 27
    RK, I have to tell you that although my 3.8 '08 Touring T&C with Stow-n-Go whistles, I now know from this forum that it is fixable and I will have it fixed. Other than the whistling, my family and I absolutely LOVE the van. Traded in an '05 Toyota Sienna for it and it blows the Sienna away. You get a lot of bang for your buck with this minivan.
    We have had our GC SXT since April 6th and absolutely love it. Wouldn't trade back or to another brand at all. We had the sensitive rear doors and the MyGig reprogrammed when it was new, but other than that have had no issues with it at all. It made a trip from ND to PA, then to NC and back to ND last month with no whistling problems at all. It was near 100 degrees and 75-80 mph from NC back to PA (got stopped and warned in VA) and still no whistles. The van has 7900 miles, some bug splatters and one rock chip on it now. I'm currently at 21 mpg on the long term average, calculating since the van had 300 miles on it. About 4000 miles from the trip (with quite a lot of sitting and waiting in Chicago gridlock) and 3900 miles driving back and forth to work and running errands, so its about 50-50 town-highway. Based on my personal experience, I would recommend it.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    won't let you find certain things if the vehicle is in motion - curious if anyone knows about any software patches to override that feature btw.

Do a Google search for "allgig" or "MyGIG Lockpick". Not a software patch but an aftermarket plug-in module. It will also let you watch front seat DVD movies while in motion. Different companies - both around the same price.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    some bug splatters and one rock chip on it now

To get rid of those bug splatters take a Bounce dryer sheet, wet it and rub gently on the spot. It will remove the bug stuff like magic.

Bounce dryer sheets are a popular detailing tool with the Viper owners.
    Slight update for the windshield issue...
    I looked at the side moldings of the windshield, and see that they're hard, thick pieces that, by their mass alone, wouldn't seem to be able to vibrate? However, the bottom rubber molding running the length of the shield is thin, plyable and at the ends in the corners, shows "off contact" with the glass.

Well, I bought my clear silicon supplies yesterday, but because the info I got conflicts with what I'm seeing, I cleaned the bottom of windshield, above and under the rubber strip, and then ran a continuous strip of black electrical tape over the molding and glass. It color matches, isn't very noticeable, and has sealed the rubber to the glass so that it can't vibrate. I'm going to "run it down the road" today, as we're having typical 90 degree dry heat, and try to make it honk!

If any of you can, in more detail, explain the fix again, I'd appreciate it. I was told the vertical side moldings were the culprit, but that doesn't look possible, unless the issue is the wind "vortexing" from the shield against the slight rise in the molding? It's a tight contact, unlike the bottom molding, which is so pliable.

As for the van overall, I drive the more basic version, as it's a company provided vehicle, but still like the design. Unfortunately, they stuck us with the standard engine, which is "gutless" like I've never experienced before. I did own a '49 Desoto Limo when I was in the service, but the flathead 6 in that car was, I think, equal or peppier than this one. In my personal cars, I've always opted for the largest or second to largest powerplant. My friends that selected this van through our leasing company all say the same about the small standard engine; it's way too underpowered. But again, and even in this base model, I've got "stow and go" in the back seat section, which is so much better than pulling out the old style seats. Also, I'm enjoying all the new storage room under the floors!
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I have read this board on occasion but not posting lately.

The other day I read where Chrysler is closing the Fenton minivan assembly plant permanently. Human nature being what it is I would be suspect of any minivan rolling off that line since the doomed plant announcement.

I also read where sales of the Chrysler minis are lower than that of the 2007 old body style models. Granted no one except a few are doing well in this economy. The Odyssey and Sienna sales must be down as well even though Honda posted a double digit sales gain in June overall.

What is troubling to me is seeing the same problems, electrical and transmission, as I had 14 years ago on the last Chrysler product I will ever own, a 1994 Dodge GC. My how I have been flamed when referencing that POS!

Yes I drive a 2006, trouble free through 47,000 miles, Odyssey. My son's 2008 Sienna is even more trouble free if that is possible.

Funny, my Japanese minivan was built in Alabama, USA and my son's in Indiana, USA but now we have the American Chrysler minis being imported! Who drives the import I ask.
    "Funny, my Japanese minivan was built in Alabama, USA and my son's in Indiana, USA but now we have the American Chrysler minis being imported! Who drives the import I ask."

Actually, the profit from your Alabama and Indiana vans ends up in Tokyo. From the Canadian vans, Detroit........My opinion, for what it's worth - you still are.
    The salaries of the Honda and Toyota van assemblers are paid to Americans who spend their money in America. Unless the Canadians cross over to Detroit their money is spend in a "foreign" country.
    True, but I said profits, not payrolls and many Canadians do come across to spend their money. Especially right now with the strong CDN$. I agree Toyota and Honda USA have a great economic impact on the geographical areas where they build their plants, but I would venture that Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Subaru combined don't exceed the US payroll of just Chrysler, let alone any other major US manufacturer. The money they make goes into the pockets and GNP of people across the ocean who, for years have employed protectionist tactics that make it nearly impossible for "foreign" manufacturers to build in or import to their country. Some of the models coming from those plants in the US are not manufactured here, they are assembled from parts manufactured elsewhere and imported. The fact they are assembled here helps them get that important place of assembly sticker. I don't want to sound like I'm just picking on the Japanese though. For ten years, Chrysler was in pretty much the same boat. The corporate money was ending up in Germany from 1998 to 2007 when the company returned to US ownership.
    Getting back to Canada. Historically, Chrysler, GM, Ford, Studebaker, Hudson and others were in places like Windsor, Oshawa and Hamilton since the 30's or earlier. The US and Canadian auto industry have been pretty much the same thing. They didn't just decide to outsource, the plants grew on both sides of the river back when runningboards were standard and the lights were on top of the fenders. They just mainly concentrated on domestic sales until the Canadian/US Auto Pact eliminated tariffs in 1965.
    Sorry, this is really getting off topic and isn't about new minivans anymore so I'll just respect your opinion and agree to disagree on some things.. ;)
    Agreed. My original post was mainly about the quality issue of Chrysler built minivans.
    That tranny issue thing is not done yet. I was promised the part was shipping and it would be done on Monday, but on Tuesday when I called them...no part yet!!!!???? I went by on thursday to take the rest of what I had left in it, and again dealership said that the part is still showing as being shipped, but not yet.
    They say they keep calling and not getting answers.

I got them to show me the broken piece, which he called a over/under drive gear.
    The van on the lift next to me had the same little tab piece broken on the over/under drive gear.

I do own a 2000 odyssey, which we bought new, and the GC is the first thing since the Odyssey, that I would have chosen over it for ride and setup.
    I have used the ody to tow a coleman niagara popup (around 3000lbs plus whatever I stick on it) from Maine to Florida and in the mountains of NC and TN.

For power comparison, the GC(3.8) did get better at around 5K???, but the ODY (3.5) will kill it dead in every aspect of power and speed.
    At around 60mph and putting the "petal to the metal" the GC makes a lot of noise, but never gives you that "feel it in your seat" burst that you need to pass anyone.

ODY now has 133K on it and while under warrantee had cruise control and power slider issue fixed.
    Things I've had to pay for was the EGR valve, argued enough that it was slightly over the Honda agreement to fix, and had to pay maybe 200$?
    Then of course the tranny finally went around 120K (seems like everybrand and type of Mini has this problem due to big power motor/heavy vehicle/and no room to stick a big heavyduty tranny under it to deal with lots of muscle and tiny trannys) to which the dealership swapped for 800$.
    Believe it or not, I was happy with this, as I didn't want to spend a few thousand to repair it, and was surprized the dealership would swap and do labor for that.

The GC has 27K and this is first problem...
    In 8 years Ody had 4 issues and were resolved during the day of service.(4 days)
    GC is 9 months old and 1 problem has taken the car out for 30 days.

My rental that I have now is a 08 Kia Sedona, much more getup and go than the GC, but that is the only thing better than the GC. GC is comfortable and convienent, with lots of cool toys in it.

I just purchased a towing setup for the GC to pull that popup I mentioned, but now I am worried.
    "combined don't exceed the US payroll of just Chrysler,"

Don't you mean DAIMLER Chrysler? The german/europe based company?

Daimler AG
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Redirected from DaimlerChrysler)
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Daimler AG

Type Public (FWB: DAI, NYSE: DAI)
    Founded 2007
    Headquarters Stuttgart, Germany

Key people Dieter Zetsche, Chairman/CEO
    Industry Auto & Truck Manufacturers
    Products Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-AMG, Maybach, Smart, Western Star, Freightliner, Orion Bus, more
    Revenue ▲€ 99.4 billion[1] (2007)
    Net income ▲€ 8.7 billion[1] (2007)
    Employees 272,382[1] (2007)
    Website daimler.com
    Daimler AG (ISIN: DE0007100000) (formerly DaimlerChrysler AG, Daimler-Benz AG) is a German car corporation (not to be confused with the British car-maker Daimler Motor Company) and the world's thirteenth largest car manufacturer. By revenue it is the largest German company. As well as automobiles, Daimler manufactures trucks and provides financial services through its Daimler Financial Services arm. The company also owns major stakes in aerospace group EADS, auto engineers McLaren Group, Japanese truck maker Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation and US automaker Chrysler Holding LLC.

DaimlerChrysler was founded between 1998-2007 when Mercedes-Benz manufacturer Daimler-Benz (1926-1998) of Stuttgart, Germany merged with the US-based Chrysler Corporation. The deal created a new entity, DaimlerChrysler. However, the buyout failed to produce the trans-Atlantic automotive powerhouse dealmakers had hoped for, and DaimlerChrysler announced on 14 May 2007 that it would sell Chrysler to Cerberus Capital Management of New York, a private equity firm that specializes in restructuring troubled companies, effectively unwinding the original transaction.[2] On October 4, 2007 a DaimlerChrysler Extraordinary Shareholders' Meeting approved the renaming of the company. From October 5, 2007, the company has been titled Daimler AG.[3] The US company adopted the name Chrysler LLC when the sale completed on 3 August 2007.

Daimler produces cars and trucks under the brands of Mercedes-Benz, Maybach, Smart, Freightliner and many others.

Contents [hide]
    1 Former Chrysler operations
    1.1 Sale of Chrysler
    2 Management
    3 Daimler shareholders
    4 Brands
    5 Holdings
    6 Biofuel research
    7 See also
    8 References
    9 External links

[edit] Former Chrysler operations
    Chrysler has suffered a series of setbacks in recent years, culminating in DaimlerChrysler's agreement to sell the unit to Cerberus Capital Management in May 2007 for US$6 billion. Through most of its history, Chrysler has been the third largest of the "Big 3" US auto makers, but in January 2007, DaimlerChrysler, excluding its luxury Mercedes and Maybach lines, also outsold traditionally second place Ford, though behind General Motors and Toyota.

Chrysler reported losses of US$1.5 billion in 2006. It then announced plans to lay off 13,000 employees in mid-February 2007, close a major assembly plant and reduce production at other plants in order to restore profitability by 2008.[4]

The merger was contentious with investors launching lawsuits over whether the transaction was the 'merger of equals' that senior management claimed or actually amounted to a Daimler-Benz takeover of Chrysler. A class action investor lawsuit was settled in August 2003 for US$300 million while a suit by billionaire investor activist Kirk Kerkorian was dismissed on April 7, 2005.[5] The transaction claimed the job of its architect, Chairman Jürgen E. Schrempp, who resigned at the end of 2005 in response to the fall of the company's share price following the transaction. The merger was also the subject of a book Taken for a Ride: How Daimler-Benz Drove Off With Chrysler, (2000) by Bill Vlasic and Bradley A. Stertz.[6]

Another issue of contention is whether the merger delivered promised synergies and successfully integrated the two businesses. As late as 2002, DaimlerChrysler appeared to run two independent product lines. Later that year, the company launched products that appear to integrate elements from both sides of the company, including the Chrysler Crossfire, which used extensive Mercedes parts and the Dodge Sprinter/Freightliner Sprinter, a re-badged Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van.

[edit] Sale of Chrysler
    DaimlerChrysler had reportedly approached other carmakers and investment groups to sell Chrysler in early 2007. General Motors was reported to be a suitor while Volkswagen, the Renault-Nissan auto alliance, and Hyundai Motor Company had said that they weren't interested in buying the company.

On August 3, 2007, DaimlerChysler completed the sale of Chrysler Group to Cerberus Capital Management. The original agreement stated that Cerberus would take an 80.1 percent stake in the new company, Chrysler Holding LLC. DaimlerChrysler changed its name to Daimler AG and retained the remaining 19.9% stake in the separated Chrysler.[7]

The terms saw Daimler pay Cerberus US$650 million to take Chrysler and associated liabilities off its hands. This is a remarkable reverse in fortunes on the US$36 billion paid to acquire Chrysler in 1998. Of the US$7.4 billion purchase price, Cerberus Capital Management will invest US$5 billion in Chrysler Holdings and US$1.05 billion in Chrysler’s financial unit. The de-merged Daimler AG received US$1.35 billion directly from Cerberus but directly invested US$2 billion in Chrysler itself.

[edit] Management
    Dr. Dieter Zetsche has been the Chairman of Daimler and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars since January 1, 2006 as well as member of Board of Management since 1998. He was former President and CEO of the Chrysler, LLC (previously owned by Daimler AG), he maybe best known in the United States as Dr. Z from a Chrysler advertising campaign called "Ask Dr. Z".

Current members of the Board of Management of Daimler AG are:
    Dr. Dieter Zetsche: Chairman of the Board as well as Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars.
    Gunther Fleig: Head of Human Resources and Labor Relations.
    Dr. Rudiger Grube: Head of Corporate Development.
    Andreas Renschler: Head of Daimler Trucks.
    Bodo Uebber: Head of Finance and Controlling as well as Financial Services.
    Dr. Thomas Weber: Head of Group Research and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development.

Current members of the Supervisory Board of Daimler AG are: Heinrich Flegel, Juergen Hambrecht, Thomas Klebe, Erich Klemm, Arnaud Lagardère, Jürgen Langer, Helmut Lense, Sari Baldauf, William Owens, Ansgar Osseforth, Valter Sanches, Manfred Schneider, Stefan Schwaab, Bernhard Walter, Lynton Wilson, Mark Wössner, Manfred Bischoff, Clemens Börsig and Uwe Werner. Dr Manfred Bischoff serves as the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Daimler AG and Erich Klemm as Vice-Chairman. [8]

[edit] Daimler shareholders
    The largest voting shareholder of Daimler is the Kuwait Investment Authority with 7.2% (as of December 31 2007).[9]

T
    No, I mean Chrysler. Cerberus LLC owns the controlling stock in the company now. DaimlerChrysler is no more. Its just Daimler AG and Chrysler LLC now.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Right, all the profits from Toyota wind up in Tokyo. I guess they build those factories in Kentucky, Indiana, Texas, and now Mississippi out of imaginary money. The fact is the Asian automakers are reinvesting profits back in the U.S.A and the Big 3 (GM, Chrysler, and Ford) are shutting down production in the U.S. and building more cars in China and Mexico.
    Hello all, just replying to my own message in case anyone has experienced this. The car is at the dealer for 1 week now, who does not know how to fix. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
  • 99oddity99oddity Member Posts: 6
    Our 2008 Gr Caravan SXT has the same issue at Highway speed. I am assuming it is something that vibrates from wind pressure. I only notice this at 70 mph and above. I do not have roof rails so that is not the source. I believe it is coming from front grille or cowl area although I have not been able to isolate source. I thought it might be wiper arm vibrating but it does not go away when I activate wipers. Any of your Chrysler employees out there have any feedback?
    Are you talking about a wind noise other than the "honking geese" sound, or like holding a leaf of grass to the lips and blowing? I've posted a seperate thread on this, as I talked to a Chrysler engineer last week. The windnoise issues that I'm aware of with this new body style are: luggage rack, sunroof and A-pillar rubber mouldings; which is the issue (windshield side mouldings) I am working on right now. See: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f1a36cf/0
  • 99oddity99oddity Member Posts: 6
    The noise is similar to the leaf of grass description you have used. I do not have sunroof or roof rack on my vehicle. A Pillar seal sounds like this may be the source. Let me know if you get a service bulletin released for this complaint. I knew I could find some other instance of this before I go the the dealer with a very non specific complaint.
    I don't mind you privately emailing me, or sending a contact number where I can call you back, or you can email me directly. I have a few levels of spam filtering, but just include "Windshield noise" in the subject line and it'll be picked up. (your choice)

I already siliconed the mouldings, as I didn't want to leave the vehicle at the dealer for an extended period. (the silicon needs time to dry, and I'd have to rent a car for the day...not worth the trouble.) I did the silicon sealing last evening at home.

Regardless, the Chrysler engineer has my email now, and I'm hopeing to get his reply with the specific Tech Service Bulletin information this week.

Once I get it, I'll be posting to my thread here on the forum.

Best, Al (alsterling@earthlink.net)
    ...the Big 3 (GM, Chrysler, and Ford) are shutting down production in the U.S. and building more cars in China and Mexico...

I think this mostly stems from the labor cost all those US union workers MUST be paid. Not to mention the pension plans the Big 3 are carrying are eating them alive. Which, when you think about it, probably means there is (or was) one hell of a profit in each and every US car in order to pay all that stuff and still survive.

...sheeesh...all I ask is just offer us good products for the money we "choose" to spend (afterall we do have a choice), and stand behind the product you sell.
  • rakammrakamm Member Posts: 7
    Hi i have this wistling noise in my 08 GC and have no idea what it is and I don't think the dealers do either. I was wondering who knows what it is? It happenes when I reach about 65 MPH. The dealer said that its bent windshiled wipers but that seems like it not right. Cause they said they fixed it, but it has been a week and still making the noise. I will try the racks on top of the roof today and see if that works but, if not what could it be? I heard the seal might not be good around the Windshield. but if anyone knows for sure let me know thank you!!
  • rjomrjom Member Posts: 21
    You should go back a few pages in this thread. The posts should tell you all you need to know.
  • akrehelyakrehely Member Posts: 4
    It is the seal around your windshield. Tell your dealer there is a Chrysler Service Bulletin that will tell them how to fix it. It worked for us.
  • 737pilot737pilot Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure if my problem is transmission, engine, or maybe even the brakes... We have had our T&C Touring since Late March and have about 9K on it. Our driveway is quite long (~250') and on a bit of a downhill slope requiring us to brake as we near the end to check for our neighbors coming around the blind curve. On many mornings, on the first departure out of the driveway, the van often "shudders" as we apply the brakes near the end of the drive. The problem rarely recurs until after the van has been parked for a while and soon after starting requires the driver to apply brakes at low speed while rolling downhill.

We relayed our concern about this when dropping off the vehicle with the dealer for the last two oil changes, but they found nothing and documented no labor.

I am worried that this is indicative of some manufacturing defect that may progress to a significant problem at some later date. Has anybody else had any experience with this sort of thing? Does anybody have any questions or advice that might help figure out what is causing this?

Thanks!
    I've got 11k+ since January on my '08, and have not had that issue, even though we live at the top of a hill, and I somewhat duplicate your driveway issue each morning.

You did say the issue occured during "braking", not acceleration, right?

This isn't my field, but if you've ever quick-braked with the right variables in play to enact the vehicle's ABS system, you feel a significant shudder through the brake pedal. You may know ABS shudder from experience. Another possibility is cold pads and rotors that "bind" when brought together during cold braking.

I'd want to be talking to a brake specialist, but unless you find a very unique dealer, that would probably have to be at a private shop, and obviously, it wouldn't be under warranty. I have issues with the dealer service system, as unless you get to the tech, you never know if the service writer communicated your issue correctly. In addition, most dealers won't take the time to properly road-test for the malfunction. They prefer the car "blows up" right in front of them before they'll commit to a repair action.

Good luck, Al
  • timothyftimothyf Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone else experienced cracking of the plastic chrome on the 2008 T&C front grill?
    There are a lot of posts on this whistling topic if you look back. It's too bad the dealerships can't do five minutes of research- the information should be available to them through Dodge by now. If they can't find the info, have them call Dodge Country in Killeen, Texas and ask Kent how to fix it. It is the windshield.
    Another funny twist to this story...got the van back after 5 1/2 weeks of hearing "part is coming tommorow..oops it didn't ship" to finally get it back.
    Spent the next day loading it up for the big VACATION!!! yeah.

Following day, loaded the 4 kids, the wife, 2 dogs and me with all the gear into it for a 100 mile journey...except...after 50 or 60 miles...you guessed it.....high revving fun!!! Turned around to head back to return vehicle, but it didn't even make it that far....took an hour and a half for the rental car to come get us, with a sport utility, that didn't fit all of us and gear...maybe this time they will fix tranny right...hopefully in less than 6 weeks!
    If owner's arbitration is the same as it was back in the 90's then you have a case for a new van. Look at your owner's manual for details of the program as your state may have a better program.
  • rakammrakamm Member Posts: 7
    Hi I took the van in with this email. They said they test drove it and of course no noise. I told them I am going to go in an drive it with them so I can tell then when it makes the noise. this is the second time I have taken it in. I will go and asked him if he called Kent! Or what? I hope this gets resolved soon. Thank you though for your help. I am seeing how everyone else is getting this fixed. I might have to pull a lemon law on them if they aren't going to do anything about it!
    OK.......I just got off the phone with the Chrysler engineer. If I understand him correctly, there is no TECH SERVICE BULLETIN number at this time, because, although the resolution was submitted from engineering, it may still have not completed its cycle through DOT submittal, etc. However, it supposedly does exist as a TECH TIP, which can be accessed by the dealer as described below:

Accessing info on "Windshield Noise" at the dealer level:

(1) Dealer can log onto "Dealer Connection Service"
    (2) Dealer can enter keywords "windshield noise"
    (3) "Tech Tip" for windshield issue with repair info should appear.
    (4) Dealer, if ordering a new windshield, should see also see "Tech Tip"

The engineer understands that this is difficult to duplicate, and because this is a proven issue at the manufacturing level, recommends that the "Tech Tip" repair should be initiated regardless.

The problem is when you're dealing with a dealer that isn't familiar with this issue, and for whatever reason, can't find evidence of it in their computer system.

Now..........take this email with you and present it to the Service Manager. This is truly a no-brainer if the Tech Tip is actually in their system.

Good Luck, Al
  • sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    I also experienced this on my van. Good grief how annoying. Anyways it was +30C outside and windy and I was at highway speeds, 110km/h. (Same situation as everyone else)
    I just wanted to know has anyone experinced this in cooler conditions or when it is not windy outside. Seeing as how we only get a few extreme hot days here I may be able to ignor it unless it happens at cooler temps. What a freaking brutal sound to listen to when driving, sounds like a gaggle of Canadian geese are stuck under my hood! :mad:

alsterling, does Chrysler indicate that this will eventually become a recall situation? Or fix only as needed? :sick: :lemon:
    Sean......

It's really a simple fix, and evidently, when windshields are replaced, there's an association in the national repair network that pulls up the issue and repair. Because it's just a noise issue, I can't see them making it a recall. The wind tunnel tests, from what I was told, included "high ambient temperatures" and cross-wind conditions. But frankly, I think I remember hearing the "Geese in the dash" even on cooler days. If Chrysler would pay me, heck, I'd produce a short youtube video, showing the materials needed and the quick-fix procedure! I just ran clear silicon down each cavity between the A-pillars and windshield and pushed it in and smoothed it over to make it disappear. I used 3M blue painter's masking tape to protect the painted pillars from the over-flow of silicon.

Now.......if your practicing "bird calls" for the North American Migratory Fowl Foundation, you may not want to do the fix! Could be big money in being expert at "Goose calls over 70 miles per hour!" ;)
  • sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    Al,

Did you use a special type of silicon for high temp etc? Or just regular Mono clear?

believe me I am not in the bird call business.
    ...finally completed the lease deal...lol...read the papers on Friday last week saying Chrysler Financial was going to stop leasing, and said yikes ! gotta get this deal done !!

Anyway, Chrysler instituted an additional $1000 lease bonus cash from the 25th to the 31st. That on top of the $2500+ discount, and the $3000 rebate already in the mix did the trick for us. I managed to get a local independent dealer to buy out the remaing (3 mos.) portion of my Honda lease, and boom !! look ma, new chrysler !!

So far so good...hehehe...27 miles...
    More later !!
    Sean:

I went to my local Ace Hdwr., and purchased caulk gun size tube of GE Window and Door, Silicon II, clear. (It's mildew proof...cause' ya' never know if you'll get transfered to Guam and have to drive in high humidity!) I couldn't imagine using anything more complicated. I've used the same type of caulk for alot of my ham radio antenna installs over the years and it's never been a problem.

Remember..........mask like there's no tomorrow. That's the trick to doing a really clean job. I only allow the cavity area of any caulk job to be exposed, and wearing latex gloves, tight wrap a no-lint cloth over my index finger, wet it, and do a compression and cleanup pass over the caulk line while it's still fresh.

Good luck, Al