Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Music - What's on your playlist?

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
My music tastes run the gamut from Rossini to rock and roll. About the only thing I don't care for is rap and country. And sorry, but broadway musicals are my absolute favorite.

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If I was going to be stuck on a desert island, and could only have the catalog from one artist or group, it would be Beatles for me.

I'm with you on rap. Sort of found it interesting at first, WAY back in the day, but it definitely lost me quickly.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This morning I'm on a Peru Folk Radio kick and Mountain Apple from Maui is bookmarked, and the Sky.fm classical and flamenco guitar channel is often good (all via shoutcast.com).

Sometimes I'll flip to AOL radio (some XM channels are free there) and the rest of the time (on in the car) my terrestrial radio is on the local Journal Broadcast Group affiliate for top 40.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Being a bit younger I enjoy more POP and Hip Hop but I do love rock and alternative too. I recently played Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 and it took me back a few years, I had to go download some Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...who can play instruments, so I've been really hooked on the Brian Setzer Orchestra, plus the entire 10 CD set of "Autumn Thunder", the NFL Films highlight music package. Nothing like a good blast of brass and a stand-up bass!
    I enjoy the Brian Setzer Orchestra as well. And don't forget the Squirrel Nut Zippers! :shades:
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    You may as well cut me open and count the rings.....

I've got more stuff on my iPod than I'll ever hear in my lifetime. A lot of 60s forward (and some older) stuff. Rock, country, folkie stuff. The whole Beatles catalog.

Of course if there's a Mets game on I'm listening to that instead and do catch NPR back and forth to work.

Now that I have a van I'm pretty sure I'll hold onto for a few years I'll get teh XM antenna up on that. Lots of good things there. I think I'll also do an upgrade on the speakers and be nice to myself.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Always liked him, and the new song "Gravity" has a very calming effect on me. Put it on when you're stressed out, and you'll feel better. :shades:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I think I've finally found the perfect exercise playlist....well, for me that is.

Bad to the Bone- George Thorogood
    Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
    Girls Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
    Dragostea Din Tei - Ozone
    Bad Reputation - Joan Jett
    Despre Tine - Ozone
    Respect - Aretha Franklin
    Dude Look Like a Lady - Aerosmith
    Do You Believe - Cher
    Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
    Maybellene - Chuck Berry
    I Can't Stand the Rain - Tina Turner
    Good Golly Miss Molly - Little Richard
    Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
    Tutti Fruitti - Little Richard
    All Shook Up - Elvis Presley
    Whole Lotta Shakin' - Jerry Lee Lewis
    Private Dancer - Tina Turner

For the cool down? Anything by Enya. :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey, pretty good list!! But, ahem, you're showing your age with some of 'em...

(Of course there's only one way I would know that. :blush: )
    It just so happens that I was helping with my daughter's high school play that was set in the 50's. She and I spent several hours collecting oldies music for pre-show and intermission. Soooo, that's how I got into the early rock-n-roll music again.

Oops, did I say again? :blush:
    My 14 year old has discovered vintage Weird Al :P

She wants to be SURE that I've heard "I lost on Jeopardy!"
    I pick songs that the kids also like, so I have Dragostea Din Tei on my play list, too.

I think that song was on the Chicken Little soundtrack. But wasn't it made famous earlier by some web video that circulated?

Kids Love that song by Crazy Frog, too. That one that is a remix of Axle F from Beverly Hills Cop.
    Yes, there was a video circulating of a young guy lip-syncing the song. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numa_Numa

There's a Wiki for everything these days! :surprise:
    That was it, thanks. I only remember the original video faintly.

Funny how the pop legend becomes greater than the thing itself.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Corrs (i never really loved you anyway)
    Wreckers (leave the pieces)
    Eels (it's a beautiful day)
    Juliana Theory (top of the world)
    Lightning Seeds (life of riley)
    Simon & Garfunkel (america)
    Van Morrison (crazy love)
    Procol Harem (whiter shade of pale)
    Johnny Marr & the Healers (down on the corner)
    Dandy Warhols (bohemian like you)
    OAR (love & memories)
    Black Crows (hard to handle)
    Utah Saints (something good - kate bush remix)
    Elvis (conversation)
    Jackson 5 (i want you back)
    Breeders (cannonball)
    Billy Joel (and so it goes)
    Genesis (firth of fifth)

Off the top of my head... not a complete selection.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    Okay... most of these are my son's stuff.. since he has an iPod, and I don't.. but, I'm taking credit..

Pink Floyd (Wish you were here) forgot how great this album is/was.

Roy Buchanan (unreal guitar playing.. pretty crappy blues performer.. I remembered the singing as being better)

Allison Krauss (okay.. all mine.. the kid hates Bluegrass)

Peter Frampton (local resident.. We saw him at the BMW dealer.. so, I turned the kid onto his stuff... great instrumental guitar.. sorry for the car reference..lol)

The Who: Live at Leeds (he found this on his own at iTunes... My Generation is my all-time favorite song.. and the live version is great)

that's all for now.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Frampton's version of "Oh Baby I Love Your Way" is one of the best songs ever.
    If you're any kind of Beatles fan at all and haven't listened to the Love CD yet, go get a copy. A collaboration of Cirque du Soleil and the Beatles, masterminded by George Martin and his son Giles.

Listening as I type... Sun King played backwards as a seamless lead-in to Something. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite transitioning to I Want You (She's So Heavy) sprinkled with Helter Skelter

It's amazing how much of the music fits together. All original tracks shuffled around and stirred together into something pretty special. Stirs a lot of emotions in me since I've been listening to this stuff ever since the Beatles hit the charts and I'm intimately familiar with the music.

George Martin IS a genius :shades:
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I fully agree with you. George Martin & Son have reinvented the Beatles, together with the Cirque du Soleil! Precious. What do you think about this mixing of Strawberry Fields For Ever?

Jose
    I think the mixing onjust about everything is incredible. If you listen carefully, there are an awful lot of bits of music thrown in here and therethat just fit each other like a glove. Tonight in the car my 14 year old asked if the Beatles had planned this on purpose. :shades:
    Another good example of the George Martin mastership is The Beatles' "Let It Be… Naked" released in 2003. That is, Let It Be as it was originally recorded by The Beatles and produced by George Martin back in 1969. Before Phil Spector handled the tapes for worst.

(Your commentary on Love prompted me to rehear some Beatles' music. I have had again a nice good time! :D )

Regards,
    Jose
    My 14 year old is captivated by Love and has put it on her ipod. Listening to it in the car, she's identifying all the different pieces that are part of the mix. :)
    That is a good task for connoisseurs.

So, The Beatles have captivated yet another generation. Reading your post I was remembering my daughter (now 28) when she was about the same age than yours and said that The Beatles was the best group ever (even better than Blur and Oasis, the most in Europe at that time).

Now I am listening to Ella Fitzgerald: A-Tisket A-Tasket, Stone Cold Dead In The Market, Five-O'Clock Whistle and other olds. Are my Ella favourites.

Jose
    Yep, my kids sort of grew up on the Beatles and other assorted good music. :P

They've both gone through their phases (Back Street Boys and other "popular" stuff) but they generally have tastes in music that I don't object to.

While listening to LOVE in the car yesterday, I noticed the 14 year old really getting into I Am The Walrus and it struck me that I was almost the exact same age when it had originally been released... and I had about the same reaction as she's having now...LOL

She also had a "wow" reaction when I told her that the Beatles must be pretty influential since she's interested in music from a group that broke up 22 years before she was born!
    What happened here?

She was all rebel rocker, singer-song writer.

Her new song is pure bubble gum pop. The sound is everything she used to stand against.

Did she sell out, or what?

I couldn't believe it when they said it was Avril singing that song. Sounds like something cheerleaders would do a routine to. :confuse:
    Hmm... maybe she's paying attention and seeing that there are commercials using Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc.

Sometimes it's hard to imagine using something like Nirvana's Teen Spirit to being back a nostalgic feeling to sell a product :surprise:
    Well, up to now it's only been seeing radio air play. Haven't seen it in any ads.

I guess I'm just surprised. She was very successful with her previous album, so why sell out? She didn't have to.
    I was thinking in terms of future use in ads. Music generally turn into "elevator music" during its initial run... except for Barry Manilow :P
    "Lagrimas negras"
    by El Cigala (vocals), Bebo Valdez (piano), Paquito D'Rivera (saxo) & Javier Colina (bass)

…would be appreciated, if you fancy to hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSjI1gQJmU.

This is a bolero/flamenco/jazz album. I am very eclectic on the music I like :shades:

Jose
    Vocal style reminds me a lot of the Gypsy Kings.

Even the music has that sad mood, like "Un Amor" from their Best of album.

My wife would probably love that song. :shades:
    Did you like the best flamenco guitar available (Paco de Lucia and Tomatito)? Have you not listened to this record? Try it! I was listening it again this morning while writing… and I have had to stop writing.

Regards,
    Jose
    http://www.fundacionprincipedeasturias.org/ing/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Asturias_Awards#Arts

Good excuse to pay attention again to Bob Dylan's song book :D Currently in my play list is Dylan's Modern Times and The Travelling Wilburys Collection.

Regards,
    Jose
    Angelique Kidjo's Djin Djin.

In particular, LonLon is the best Ravel's Bolero version I ever heard, symphonic or not.

Regards,
    Jose
    Bonnie Raitt and Friends (Norah Jones, Ben Harper, Alison Kraus and Keb'Mo'). Now, Papa Come Quick. In a DVD recording.

Jose
    Bonnie Raitt and Alison Krauss are two of my favorites.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ahhhh!
    It has bean a great pleasure to watch and listen the recorded concert.

Jose
    I LOVE Bonnie Raitt and have for years! I've had My Opening Farewell on my mind lately, but that's only one of a ton of her stuff that I love. She does Jackson Browne better than he can do himself. (And I love him too! :blush:)

Oh and John Prine should never open his mouth - just let Bonnie sing his stuff! :shades:
    :)

Jose
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Right now I'm listening to "Nothing Else Matter's" by Metallica. :shades:

-Rocky
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Aaron Neville and Trisha Yearwood - I Fall to Pieces at the moment.
    Pat, the more I have listened to that DVD recorded Bonnie Raitt concert, the more I have liked it. By the way, it was hold in the Trump Taj Majal, Atlantic City, NJ, on September 2005. May be you were there? Or you, Kyfdx?

;)
    Jose
    My only B.Raitt concert was at Riverbend in Cincinnati about 1994 (give or take 3 years..lol).

"I can't make you love me" just about blew me off my feet... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I've seen her several times in various place in Virginia, but nothing recent. The last several concerts (not Bonnie's) I've attended have been such unfortunate experiences in terms of audience behavior and acoustical disasters that I've decided I'll enjoy my music at home on my own terms, thankyewverymuch! ;)
    The last living performance (apart from classic music) I have attended was a concert of Chucho Valdés and his Combo here in Bilbao last July. The musicians were excellent and the audience behaved fine, but the sound was so badly managed at the mixing box that the piano fortissimos got always 'supersaturated'. It was frustrating.

About five years ago in Barcelona a Paul McCartney's concert was impressive. Paul had a lot of music and energy. The technical aspects were immaculate.

Jose
    If this keeps up, we'll need a new discussion!

My last two concerts were both Elvis Costello.

Last year, he was really into the bluegrass thing, after working with T-Bone Burnett on Cold Mountain and a couple of other things. Emmylou Harris came along... not as an opening act, but on-stage with Elvis. She was on for about 1/2 the concert, and brought along a pedal steel guitar player who was probably out there for 3/4 of the concert. I like bluegrass, so I was fine with it, but my 12-yr-old was hoping for more rock-n-roll. This was at a small outdoor ampitheatre near Dayton.. 15th row seats.

The year before, my wife and I saw Elvis at a small theatre in Cincinnati. This was full rock-n-roll... He was at his best... 10th row seats.

Both concerts were mostly the 30-60 yr old age group.. Very nice, actually.

There are other concerts that I wouldn't mind attending, except for the behavior you describe.. I'm too old to put up with that.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris in a small place. Not a bad thing!

Speaking about audiences, the most spirited experiences I have had have been two.

Twenty (+/-) years ago I was in Oxford, UK, and went to a concert of The Blind Boys of Alabama. About ten years later, to a concert of one of the best ever flamenco singers, Camarón de la Isla. The latter was in Bilbao.

Both concerts were hold in theaters usually intended for drama plays, ballet and operas. Golden stucco, nice velvet seats, etc. To the Camarón's concert came flamenco lovers (quite a number of them gypsies) from all over Spain and southwestern France.

In both concerts we all the spectators ended dancing on aisles and seats. In particular in that of Camarón, many people clapped hands rihtmically (it is an art by itself) to almost fail in trance.

Apart from that :blush: , everyone behaved and had a great time. I cannot say if the theater administrators were happy as well :sick:

But most of the time I prefer quieter audiences! :)

Regards,
    Jose
    (Edit: You may see my music taste is very eclectic :shades: )
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    You folks are listening to some nice live stuff!

End of this month I'll be checking out Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby (yes, that is together). I've seen a short bit of them working together and it is fine stuff.

Early November brings John Fogertey who, in addition to being an insanely good songwriter, is a great live act.

Both shows are at the Count Baise Theatre in Red Bank, NJ - a great old place built toward the end of vaudeville.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I am currently listening to two CDs, both from Verve:

Abbey Lincoln's Abbey sings Abbey

and

River [the joni letters]
    Music and lyrics by Joni Mitchell.
    Sang by herself featuring Norah Jones, Tina Turner, Corinne Bailey Rae, Luziana Souza and Leonard Cohen.
    Arranged by Larry Klein and Herbie Hancock.
    Musicians: Herbie Hancock, Whine Shorter, Dave Holland, Vinnie Colaiuta, Lionel Loueke.

I am enjoying both very much.

Any comment?

Regards,
    Jose
    My son is 13-yrs-old, and has been taking guitar lessons for almost two years. So.. he is into a lot of classic rock, etc..

Anyway, next month, we are going to see the Australian Pink Floyd concert. It is a tribute band, but evidently is pretty darn good. Since, he isn't likely to see the real Pink Floyd, and no telling what kind of shape they would be in..

Anyone have any info on this group? (not PF-- the tribute band..lol).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I've seen Australian Pink Floyd twice. They do a good job.