Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Has anyone tried the new Rain-X wiper blades?

2»

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Well a few car company's have that option don't they ? I thought Lincoln, was going to introduce that option I read somewhere ????

I know GM, offer's heated windshield washer fluid on several of it's models now. :)

Rocky
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    I too thought Ford had a heated windsheild (instaclear??)
    a few years back in Lincolns.
    I will note that the GM "dustbuster" vans had heated strips
    in the bottom of the front windsheild...........

Some models of the GMT-900 trucks have heated washer fluid.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Many buick's and cadillac's also have heated windshields as well. I do think the heated windshield is a good idea. ;)

Rocky
  • ejevoejevo Member Posts: 2
    I have them and would give them a big thumbs down.

Purchased a set for my '04 Civic from Pep Boys. Got the 'buy one / get one free' rebate on them, so total cost was about $17.

Installed them on 11/27/07. Took a ride into CT yesterday in the rain (2/18/08) and the driver's side wiper leaves a big swath of moisture (about 3" wide) on each return swipe, right in the driver's field of vision. Even in a mist, it didn't clear the moisture entirely. At around $17/ per set, let alone per wiper, I'd expect them to last longer than 3 months on a garaged vehicle.

It's back to Honda OEM blades for me. They at least last about a year.
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    Wiper blades are getting worse. One was Stuck in some thin windshield Ice at the bottom and when I turned it on, the wiper separated for 4". It only had maybe 10k miles and 2nd winter. They doubled in price and quality is half.

We had 3 or 4 ice storms this winter and my rainx wore off the glass and scraping was hard the last 2 times. Finally put a new coat on when it was 64 degrees this past weekend. With a fresh coat, the frost comes off with the squeegee side of the scraper. I do the side windows and mirrors for easy ice and frost removal. With a 47 mile commute, I don't want to spend more than 30 seconds scraping my car in the morning. I don't think a rainx wiper would remove frost or ice on a 15 degree morning in 20 seconds from start up, will it?
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....of wiper blades. I started with regular ol' Ancos, tried several of the supposedly "premium" blades, and now I'm going back to Ancos. The premium blades are no better than the regular ones. The only thing that makes them premium is their price.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    The OEM blades on our 2004 Mazda MPV are still going strong... at almost 4 years old and 37,000 miles. Our last oil change the tech wrote,"need wipers bad", during a full circle inspection. But, they still wipe and clear off rain very well... without any streaking or gaps.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I've noticed the same thing with our 2003 MPV wiper blades. They're working well. I'm not sure where Mazda gets their wiper blades, but I've never had blades that's lasted this long before.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I had the opposite experience with mazda OEM wipers, I replaced them after about 6 months on my 2007 Mazda6.
  • tonyy1919tonyy1919 Member Posts: 1
    I have been an anco fan since I was young, Over 50 years, But now, I'm looking for a blade that does not fall apart in a week. I just purchased 2 and as I was driveing down the road, it started to come apart. Out in the rain I had to stand and put it together. The metal used to be one solid piece. Now to lite metal strips. that come off the plastic that was metal. need something new that will last.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I had Bosch Icons on for over 2 years, replaced when performance had deteriorated, not due to any problems with the construction of the blade. I bought some similar Trico Neoform blades last fall, because they had a discount and rebate going at the time, these also seem to be well constructed like the Icons.
  • vanman21vanman21 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a set in Mar 09. On a rainy trip in Dec 09, they created so much vibration with their "scraping" that it shook my interior rear view mirror. They aren't effective in the middle of the blade and they are noisy.... I love them---not
  • papoppypapoppy Member Posts: 1
    They seemed OK in warmer weather but I'm very disappointed with them this winter. Total junk in my opinion.
    I'm going back to the triple edge wiper with silicon rubber. Best I've found so far.
  • doneildoneil Member Posts: 11
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who considers these to be junk. I bought 3 sets 11 month's ago to replace the blades on all 3 of my cars. I've had 2 failures out of the 3. The plastic mounting bracket that attaches the blade to the arm is weak. It's merely snapped into place and breaks free after a period of time. My receipt shows only a 90 day defect replacement, so I guess I'm SOL. Is anyone aware of a recall?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Wouldn't hurt to contact them and complain.

I guess you could consider breakage a safety issue; be curious to see if the NHTSA has any complaints.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    At least once a month, take a rag with alcohol and clean the blades. They collect major gunk and work much better for much longer. If you park the car outside, do it every 2 weeks.
    Doesn't seem like that would help keep the mounting brackets from breaking though?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    If Rain-X blades are anything like Rain-X itself, I sure wouldn't use them.

OEM blades are the only way to go. I change mine twice a year.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I have a Bosch blade on my car from 2008 - seems to be in new condition. It's the modern kind that just lays flat. I do keep it cleaned, car is garaged, and I don't do a huge mileage.

I'll admit I like Rain-X...fun to drive down the road with the rain blowing off the windshield.
    No mounting brackets on my blades. Just a central one point snap attachment onto the arm. In my youth, I don't ever remember changing blades. Never cleaned my headlights until my first year in Chicago when it dawned on me that removing the dried salt and dirt might help with visibility driving out to DeKalb in winter. Night classes at NIU in the early 70's.
    Yeah, since I moved back to snow country, I carry some washer fluid in a squirt bottle and an old rag in the car. Doesn't take long to dim the lights around here driving on the slush.
    Maybe we need a upscale ride that has the headlight cleaners. Then you'd have another set of blades/brushes to change out as needed. I like to keep busy anyway. Could start a new discussion.
    edited February 2011
    lol, a discussion on "how to keep busy" - that could work. :-) When I look at some of the maintenance recommendations, there's something you could do just about every day.

Around here it's hard to avoid driving in sloppy conditions, so I wind up cleaning the windows anyway with the spritzer when I do the headlights. I never had much luck with Rain-X but maybe I'd notice a difference now that I'm in a place where it rains and snows more. Could put some on the headlights too.
    edited February 2011
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I have Bosch blades on my Mercury Grand Marquis.
    edited February 2011
    Well, they're on sale too (same link). :shades:

(German blades on GM iron?).
    Buy one get one free is cool on Bosch, but I drive a single wiper car :shades:

Suckers are expensive too, IIRC over $20
    Do you have the new style flat kind that don't have the framework?
    Well gee, get a spare. ;)
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I actually picked up a pair of Goodyear Blades for "The Beast" that are basically the same are the Rain-X one from Costco. Paid $10 for the set after an instant rebate and coupon. So far, they are pretty sweet.

Odie
    Just when I think this discussion has died, it reappears and draws me back in. Heading to Autozone to spend some time in the wiper aisle. CCWBA ?
    I don't remember ever replacing blades when I lived in Boise for a decade. The sun and heat really wiped them out, but it never rained, so....

I already need new blades after 5 months here in the UP. But just on the rear glass on both my rigs; the new front blades I picked up in Billings on the drive over last September are still ok.
    Like I said--never remember changing my blades in my youth. I think as testosterone levels diminish, our attention can drift to stuff like windshield visibility instead of you know what. :shades:
  • barefeetbarefeet Member Posts: 1
    I finally got regular blades back on my car this morning & I am so happy I did. I will NEVER, EVER buy Rain X Blades again & I think it is ashame that they are still on the market!
    Several months ago I decided to spring for these Rain X blades I've heard advertised. I was so disappointed! They missed about a third of the window with their sweep. I tried to see if I could adjust the pressure on the wiper arms so I'd get a good clean sweep, but the wiper arms are not adjustable that way-I don't think on ANY car. You shouldn't HAVE to adjust the pressure. Today, I decided I had enough & got a regular type of blade & everything is fine now. I only had the Rain X blades for a couple months, so I just waisted way more money than if I had just gotten regular blades to start with. :mad: :lemon:
    I think Rain X cost more because they are trying to cash in while they can, before their reputation puts them out of business!
  • WWSummWWSumm Member Posts: 1
    Rain X wiper blades are the cheapest junk I have ever seen. They are not worth the money. They are difficult to install, and really do not last longer than anything else. Save your money!