Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Radio, Stereo, iPod, XM Sirius Questions

vitzmiddvitzmidd Member Posts: 1
Just purchased a 2001 Yukon, no owners manual. How the heck do you operate the rear radio controls ???? I turn the power on, light comes on but nothing seems to operate,

Comments

• herbedout13herbedout13 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know any product to switch the factory XM head unit to Sirius radio?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There might be some options posted over in the XM & Sirius Satellite Radio discussion, so check that one out too.
  • steddysteddy Member Posts: 3
    They only work with headphones.
  • josloondjosloond Member Posts: 2
    So far a great ride. One problem - when I connect my iPod, the volume needs to be turned WAY up in order to hear it clearly. I keep the volume on the iPod about 50% and this works fine on all other devices like my home stereo and other vehicle. Anyone else have this problem or any advice?
    Thanks!!!
  • dlparker2424dlparker2424 Member Posts: 1
    What plug did you use to plug in to the aux on the radio?
  • josloondjosloond Member Posts: 2
    I used the one in the upper right corner as designated in the manual. I did not plug into the rear system.
  • rmuehlbergerrmuehlberger Member Posts: 1
    I've experienced the same issue. Haven't had a chance to take it in to the dealer yet to have them check it out though.
  • sgm15sgm15 Member Posts: 1
    Try turning the volume on your iPod all the way up. The input volume from the Aux ports to the stereo must be very low.
  • tommbotommbo Member Posts: 6
    I just got my 2007 Denali and the radio reception is terrible!!! Iam 5 miles from the radio stations in NYC. Does anyone else have this problem? They have a new antennae built into the rear window on 2007's. I like the old one better.Also my lights on the visor mirror dont work. I didnt look for a fuse yet, I hope there is one.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Being that close to NYC you shouldn't be having any trouble with reception. I would have the dealer check the antenna connections.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • 10mikeymike10mikeymike Member Posts: 8
    There is a product called SIR-GM1 that converts the XM signal to Sirius. I installed one in my 05 H2 and my 06 C6. In both instances I purchased a small cable that converts the antenna lead so you can use the XM antenna. In the Hummer the unit mounted behind the glovebox. In the Vette it is under the waterfall on convertibles and under the carpeting in the cargo area on the coupes. I just picked up a new Denali last Thursday and will be adding one soon. These items sell for anywhere from $79 to $99 and are available at Best Buy, Circiut City and Crutchfield. They are easy to install and you still get all of the Sirius information through the XM radio. The radio band will continue to read XM1 and XM2, but you will get the Sirius station name, number and all of the artist and title information.
    mike...did this work in your 07 denali? i thought they didnt?? please let me know..also , how do you get access to the radio mounting screws? under the trim? how do you get the trim off?/ thanx for your help mike!!
    can someone tell me how to access the radio mount screws? i think they are under the trim on the sides but i cant get that off without damaging it.. thanx
  • 10mikeymike10mikeymike Member Posts: 8
    tommbo, I haven't installed the SIR-GM1 in my 07 Denali. I installed it in my 06 Vette. The other day after posting the message above I learned that it may not work in the 07. I read a post stating that GM has changed the wiring bus and the SIR-GM1 won't work now. I also read that the manufacturer, Directed Electronics, is developing a new model that will work. Unfortunately, there was no indication when that will become available.
  • valvestudvalvestud Member Posts: 35
    Unless something's changed to two companies are still working on a merger. I too prefer Sirius, but will wait to see what happens wtih the merger.
  • lerenislerenis Member Posts: 3
    Hey Tom,

I noticed the same thing once the XM satallite radio trial run had expired. Regular radio stations almost sound muffled compared to the crisp sound of the XM stuff. I talked XM into another three month trial at around $5 a month and can't be happier. If you reset the defaults to customize your sound system for regular radio, it should fix the way you hear stuff. The Bose system is great but I think it was really dialed in for the XM or Sirius product.
  • brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 36
    I read on another Forum that they had a problem with the combination OnStar/XM antenna. Apparently the Onstar was casting an RF shadow over the XM signal and they have a TSB out on that with a new antenna fix. I'm not sure which TSB it is but it may be worth checking your dealership for more info.
  • millers215millers215 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, any update on the 07 Denali conversion to Sirius? We just got our Denali and XM stinks. I have Sirius in our other car and in the house and love it. I can not wait to switch the new ride over to Sirius.
  • u2canhave1u2canhave1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been trying to diagnose an issue I have with my 03 Denali XL. The rear speakers have no sound coming from them. In addition, the rear audio (head phones) do not have any sound coming from them when they are plugged in. I thought that the channel had been blown on my amp and replaced it only to find that was not the issue. I am wondering if it may be the head unit rear channels. The front speakers (door speakers, Tweeters, and Subwoofer) all play fine. The other possibility I have thought about is the rear audio control. It is as if the rear audio controls have been activated and only the rear speakers have been muted. Issue with this theory is the fact that the rear audio controls do not work either. Any idea’s how I can diagnose this issue?
  • sfbertosfberto Member Posts: 1
    10mikeymike,
    I was wondering if you would know if the SIR-GM1 will work after I install an aftermarket Navigation System, into my 2004 Yukon SLT, which has the XM option.
    The Navigation Sytem I am planning to install is a Pioneer AVIC- Z2. I would love to use the XM antenna which is already in place, instead of having a whole lot going on, atop of my roof of my truck.
    Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
    SFBerto
  • rkg1rkg1 Member Posts: 13
    2003 Yukon XL w/ XM Radio

Does anyone know how to get the song information to display when listening to XM Radio? We were told that you can access the Name of the Song or Artist, etc. when listening to XM, but we don't know if this is true or how to do it.

Thanks!!
  • carjockeycarjockey Member Posts: 2
    Try going to PAC audio , I think it's PACaudio.com (Pacific Audio Company) and they would probably have the adapter for you, they have them all.
  • benscoobertbenscoobert Member Posts: 1
    New member here, HI

I just decided to treat myself to a 2003 Yukon XL SLT, very rare here in the UK
    I am prepared to order from the US for my install, but obviously I want to get it right 1st time

Mine is a 2003 SLT, I am told it has a BOSE system, the speakers say BOSE on them but the headunit doesn't. The headunit has Delco part No. 15184935 on the side, is that BOSE?

OK, here is my plan, the way I see it I have 2 options.
    Preferred Option 1:
    Below the regular headunit in the centre console there is a space which has a single DIN opening which tapers off towards the back. I thought I could add a DVD 7 inch flip up screen here and feed the audio to the aux of the headunit.
    Upon looking at the rear of the headunit today I see I will need an adapter like this maybe http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacaaigm24.html

Option 2:
    I replace the headunit for a double DIN in dash screen.
    This brings up a whole load of issues with the BOSE amp and speakers already installed and also the onboard bongs etc.
    Also the wife doesnt like the way the headunit points towards the driver and she cant see the screen properly, to I guess if I did it this way it might need a 2nd screen anyway

Soooo, can anyone advise the best route here, am I missing something which make this job easier or harder?
    Thanks in advance
    Ben
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    When we purchased our 2007 Yukon SLT it supposidly came with XM, each time we push the button it tells us it's not there. Some say we need to activate XM, some say we need to have XM installed as the vehicle is only XM ready". The Dealership says "XM ready, and wants to sell us $1,000 in components in order for us to have XM.

Help - which is right?
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    I could be wrong, but I would press that blue OnStar button and ask them to tell you what you have as far as if your SLT is XM ready, or if you need additional equipment... From there, assuming that your SLT is XM Ready, the OnStar Customer Support can even help you to set-up/activate the XM account; yeah, they will likely need your credit card number...
  • mahall75mahall75 Member Posts: 3
    You can add a new head unit to a bose system. They make loads of adapters... www.bestkits.com It should not be a big deal.
  • firstclass305firstclass305 Member Posts: 1
    hey guys im new to the site but i don have a bit of knowledge when it comes to these trucks.... i have a a 03 denali and oddly enough i just did my install this weekend i mean full set up kenwwod double din 2 12's kickers custom box kicker mono block wit bass nob i mean its clean and honestly i wouldnt go thru then hassle of a secondary unit on the bottom console.its a simple headache but a headache non the less... look into the "axxess gmos-04" its the bose interface plug and play unit its super simple to install and its going to save the integrity of the sick bose system the truck comes with stock theyre plastered all over ebay @ a fair price from $50-$100 ... firstcleezy@yahoo.com is my email if you need any more info :shades:
  • fixitrodfixitrod Member Posts: 67
    Truly the Bose system you have is one of the "sickest" factory systems out there ala limited. Your factory head is a Bose BTW.The easy way would be to use GMOS-04 and aftermarket HU to retain warning chimes etc, and/or Onstar(is that available in UK?). If you are a discriminating listener like me you will find some limitations to the speakers and output with any capable aftermarket HU and in time will get tired of it.
    My plan at this point is to do a total install of amps, Speakers and subs with complete rewiring so you have total control over outcome. Many installers have stated some problems tying into factory wiring. If you go with a screen HU the angle is not going to change so put a visor mount for the wife or TOmTOm so she can navigate. Also my wife has an iphone and the nav functions are pretty good...you choose. Good luck
  • brandon119brandon119 Member Posts: 1
    i have recently been having problems with the yukon's cd player. The message "err" is displayed when I try to play a cd and i havent been able to find out what causes this problem or how to fix it. Any information on this problem would be great.
  • wileycwileyc Member Posts: 3
    2004 GMC Yukon Denali.
    No nav screen, just single/multiple cd/tape and radio.
    The manual says that once the DVD is playing there should be a DVD symbol on the radio, then I should select the DVD as audio source by pressing TAPE/DISC until DVD is highlighted, or choose DVD from using the SOURCE button. But the DVD symbol never shows up even while the DVD is playing, and DVD is not an option under SOURCE or TAPE/DISC.
    Either I'm just doing something wrong, or there is a problem.
    Also might be after market DVD, with missing head phones.
    Cannot select DVD audio from rear entertainment center either.
    Did this model come with a DVD player?
    If so, how do we listen to it? It plays the movie, but cannot access sound.
    Please help!
  • icetrey81icetrey81 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my 03. Headphones work but no sound through rear speakers. Shows the headphone icon on the front head unit (factory) so I'm thinking it's always trying to play through the headphones instead of the speakers? Anyway to turn the headphones off or what? I have only had the Denali a week or so and it would be nice to have some sound coming from the back as well! If you figure out a fix be sure to let me know and I'll do the same!
  • YettiYetti Member Posts: 1
    What do I need in order to play an iPod in a 2007 Yukon?
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Headphones.

(Just kidding! :P )

Things may have changed with the new 2007 head unit, but I looked into this for my 2005, and there is an adapter for sale that will work with the factory system. Apparently you connect this thing to the back of the factory radio, and when you push the CD/AUX button it will switch between those inputs. Total cost, installed, was about $150 at a little cell phone/car audio shop I just happened to visit. They would run the USB cable through the dash somewhere, they said most likely into the glove box, but I suppose they could put in in the center console or anywhere else. Again, it may be different for 2007+ models. If any of the buttons in your radio say Aux or CD/Aux, you'd probably be in luck. Just swing by some stereo shop and ask for their recommendation.
  • jasgaljasgal Member Posts: 1
    i have the nav/radio. Wen I push the little music symbol button I can choose four options....driver, rear, spacious, or normal. When i choose one, after I go to another station it goes back to driver. How do I get it to stay on rear for all stations. I think rear sounds the best.
  • lasergymlasergym Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2007 yukon with everything stock and my brother gave me an 15" infinity speaker with amp. I set up everything except for plugging in the remote and speaker wires in the back of the radio. Any suggestions on how to get the face plate off so I can get behind it. Also are there any specific tools or equipment I might need?
  • resarf65resarf65 Member Posts: 2
    HEY I JUST BOUGHT A CHERRY OF A 2003 YUKON WITH LOW LOW MILEAGE AND I AM HAPPY WITH EVERYTHING BUT I WANT TO TWEEK THE STEREO. I WANT XM AND AN A AUXILARY JACK FOR MY IPOD WILL A STEREO FROM A 2007 FIT MY 03, ONE OTHER THING I HAVE A SMALL ANTENA ABOVE THE DRIVER ON THE ROOF IS THIS XM OR ONSTAR?
  • resarf65resarf65 Member Posts: 2
    I had to answer this myself, since no one on here ever answered. the answer is no I bought a radio from a 2008 yukon off ebay and it does not fit and the connections on the back are completely different.........
    I'm sorry no one was able to help out. Have you tried asking a GMC dealer?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lisayukonlisayukon Member Posts: 1
  • msbasscatmsbasscat Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Yukon /Denali, I need to know the approx. weight of the vehicle because my parking garage can't put more the 4000 lbs. on the elavator.
    A 2006 Yukon Denali weights around 6000-lbs, depending on how your particular vehicle is equipped... The best way to tell is to check the sticker on your driver side door jam. Unfortunately, even a base model Yukon (with 2-WD) weight-in at 5000+lbs, will be unsafe on your lift/elevator...
  • msbasscatmsbasscat Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyway an i pod can be connected to my 2006 Yukon Denali stereo system directly, without using the adapter for the cigarette lighter?
  • jungle_jimjungle_jim Member Posts: 1
    Can i install a factory xm radio out of a 2005 yukon in my 2002 yukon? If so what do i need to make the installion?
  • grumpy30grumpy30 Member Posts: 1
    Any one have a problem with 07 yukon wheel nuts cracking. Dealer says normal wear and tear, road conditions,etc --- seems pretty weak for a $50,000 suv less than 3 years old and under 40,000 miles.
    Give the GMC Yukon Tires and Wheels discussion a try. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    edited February 2010
    Never heard of it on the 07 Yukon.... The OEM wheel lug nuts are either defective or someone has been tighten them nuts with the wrong torque.

Your dealer said its from "Normal wear and tear", Hummmm, how many miles do you have on your 07 Yukon anyway?

Let's move over to the "GMC Yukon Tires and Wheels" discussion.
  • rv2963rv2963 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have a 2007 Tahoe and same thing the reception fades in and out. The dealer replaced the stereo twice, rear window/antenna, coax, fm module and amplifier. The dealer agrees there is a problem and has no suggestions. I have a complaint/ case pending with GM and their representative still has not contacted me. I had a loaner 2009 Suburban and it did the exact same thing. So far I found four people locally who also have the problem. Ask others with a Denali, Tahoe, Yukon, and Escalade and I bet they have the same issue.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello RV2963,
    I apologize the agent hasn't contacted you back. I checked your case notes and your agent is going to call you today. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • lotsofcarslotsofcars Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Denali with the Nav/Radio/XM/CD the works that I bought new. Last year the screen suddenly went blank, sound bursts every 5-10 seconds, screen flashes white but generally is dark. There is sound but if you leave it on the bursts blow out your eardrums. Most of the buttons are inop. Then after a month it started working normal until last month it started again (after the battery went dead which happens every year in May for last four years, Interstate battery replaced under warranty each time becaue it is then fried). About once a week it will come back on for that time ignition is on. Next time it goes back to blank. About the time I think I'll take it in to a dealer it will be working. Once I was told the ONstar is draining the battery but don't know how to disconnect (never converted it to Digital anyway). Three years ago I had to replace the amp ($800+) so am not crazy about taking to a dealer anyway. Anyone else run into this or have a solution/suggestion? I've checked every fuse, circuit,etc. There is a constant drain somewhere that is not going through the fuse boxes.
  • kts0347kts0347 Member Posts: 44
    I would appreciate help with how to replace a burned out light on the volume control button that is positioned on the right side of the steering wheel.
    I've been told these buttons are illuminated by fiber optic cable from a central location. How do you access it, to change a burned out bulb?
    Thanks.