Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Thanks,
    It's always better to get real mileage #'s.

I have 28K on my "06 Tribeca and I'm getting 16/23 on premium. On a long Hwy run I'll see 25-26.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's a different engine, though, compared to the new 08s.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    The new engine's rated a little higher (taking the new gov't rating method into consideration), isn't it?
    Same, actually. It's rated lower, but when you adjust for 2007 vs. 2008 methodology, it's the same.

However, they now recommend regular fuel, so you'll still save about 10% on fuel costs.
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Ok, took a little 120+ miles highway trip yesterday. MPG was 22.5. Started out with about 400 miles on the odometer. Speeds varied from 55 - 70mph, averaging about 65mph most of the time.

My breaking in the engine technique is to vary speeds for the first 500 miles mostly at highway speeds.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    I am averaging about 21-23....on mine with 800 miles on it. mixed driving.

Interestingly the sport mode on tribeca is not having bad effect on mileage. But Outback XT has bad mileage on sport mode.
    Haven't used the sport mode much. Maybe after another 500 miles are added to the odometer. :)
    Toured the Bayfield, Wisconsin area today. Took WI Hiway 13 to Bayfield and US 2 back home to Duluth. Speeds ranged from 55 to 80mph. MPG was 21.979. Gusty NW winds on the way back.

The trees are turning up here in the northland. The Maples are brilliant in color - red and gold.
    I can't believe we are already talking about the folliage! :shades:
  • msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    I was in the UP of MI over Labor day weekend, and the trees were starting to change then!

To keep on topic, I looked at a Tribeca while I was there. ;)
  • msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    Thanks to Jeff's post summarizing some other comparables to the Tribeca, I'm looking at some other models. I just want to be sure I haven't dismissed something that may turn out to be more useful to me.

I would love to test drive an MDX, but the nearest dealers are at least 1 1/2 hours away from me. There's a big car show here coming up, but we're going to be out of town. And I'm not keen on spending that much on a car, although I'd probably be going for the base model. Basic servicing could be done at the local Honda dealer, but they said probably not any warranty work.

The Mazda CX-9 is the other more likely possibility. The Subaru dealer here also has Mazdas, and they have one in stock. Will probably go drive it tonight. It would still be more pricey than the Tribeca, but not as much as an MDX.

I'd decided on a 5 passenger Tribeca, but the CX-9 only comes with the 3rd row. (CX-7 doesn't offer advantages over the Tribeca in terms of space for me to consider). The possible extra room in the CX9 is one thing drawing me to it.

The CX9 is bigger outside, too, of course. I'm used to my outback in terms of exterior dimensions so a change to the mazda would take more adjustment compared to the Tribeca.

6 speed AT is attractive in the CX9.

I like the colors available in the CX9 (I like the copper red mica).

I got a quick look at the cx9 this am, but it wasn't prepped yet. I don't think I liked the cockpit as much as the Tribeca.

The big downside to me is the AWD system in the mazda, especially since I have the VDC now. I guess I don't know how much I might miss it. We do get snowstorms here, maybe 2 or 3 really big ones in a year, with lots of smaller snowfalls. But probably any modern AWD will suffice for what I have to drive in (usually leave for work before our road is cleared). The VDC may be more important in suprise situations involving ice or other slickness.

I hypothetically prefer the rear-wheel bias of the Tribeca system, but the CX9 is supposed to handle very well in basic driving situations so maybe this wouldn't be a factor.

So those are my initial rambling thoughts.

Any additional thoughts or input is appreciated. (I posted here first because I'm familiar with the regular posters here, vs the other boards, and since I have the outback now)

Christina
    I liked the CX9, but evaluate seat comfort carefully, and check the center console against your right knee, if that bothers you.

I had issues with the console rubbing my right knee, and with overly hot seat heaters. It drove very nicely, though, and drives "bigger" than the Tribeca, in both good and bad ways.
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    I had the same problem in the CX9 with my leg rubbing on the console, I don't know why they made it so wide. I didn't like the size of the vehicle either, it just seemed to big to me.
    Newer entries are coming in big, 200" plus. The Outlook/Acadia, Enclave, CX9, and Flex are all very large.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Outlook/Acadia are $50k+ for the AWD versions.

-mike
    I've seen them for high 30s, mostly. The Outlook I test drove was actually $29k, but it was FWD and very, very basic. $50k would be a fully loaded Enclave at MSRP, perhaps.
    All the Acadia AWDs I've seen sticker for $50k For that much I'd get an Armada fully loaded!

Eithr way the Tribecca stickers well below what an AWD version of the Acadia stickers at.

-mike
  • sal1961sal1961 Member Posts: 3
    I want to install a hitch in my Tribeca and I am not sure where the plug is for the wiring harness for the trailer hitch. Does anybody know where it is? Thanks.
    On my Forester Subaru hid it in the spare tire well. The Tribeca has an external spare, though.

I bet it's near one of the tail lights, behind the trim.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    "All the Acadia AWDs I've seen sticker for $50k For that much I'd get an Armada fully loaded"

What are you talking about?
    A 2008 AWD Acacia SLT-2 (the nearly fully optioned version) is $38K.

Add DVD, HIDs and a head's up display and it's $40K.
    I did a fully loaded on on Edmunds, came out to $45,565
    AWD SLT-2 with all the options. Dealers out here were adding stuff to em in the beginning I guess, but still $46k for one is way way more than a tribecca, albeit they are larger but that's still crazy.

-mike
    I think Tribecas top off at about $38k, so there's no question you can price an Acadia higher.

To be fair, it's a much larger vehicle, almost full-sized. Probably half way between the Tribeca and your Armada.
    Funny thing I saw an armada today next to a Suburban in a park, fronts were lined up, in the rear the Armada was only about 1' shorter than the burban, didn't realize it was that long.

-mike
    Yeah, the Tahoe is smaller, the Suburban bigger. So you're right in the middle.
    '08 Tribeca rated #1 residual value among crossovers by Automotive Leasing Group. Press release below (caution, it's a PDF download).
    http://vocuspr.vocus.com/vocuspr30/Newsroom/ViewAttachment.aspx?SiteName=Subaru&- Entity=PRAsset&AttachmentType=F&EntityID=104712&AttachmentID=69efa320-4a50-48d5-- b823-1aaff92dd46e
    Very nice!

Nice to see Subaru stand behind their product, too. No doubt this is due to the high residuals they set for leases.

Good news for all, except maybe someone trying to buy a used one! :D
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I guess tonight could be our Crew World Series party since last night's game makes me think there's a slim chance the Series might not last until next Thursday! :P

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    OK, I see where the Tire Rack doesn't "do" after-market wheels for the 2008 Tribeca because of the TPMS. Any alternatives other than running the "all-season" tires all year? No, I don't want to go the dis-mount/mount tires in the fall & spring. :confuse:

I really want to be able to get through the snow when we have a 2' dump.
    How 'bout a piece of tape over the light? ;)
    Sorry with 2' of snow I doubt you'll be getting through it with your tribecca. I'm a subaru fan but even 2' is a lot for it.

-mike
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    The Nokian WR is an option. All season tire that is rated as a snow tire (snowflake emblem). We've been doing that with our Outbacks and it works for us as its avoids a second set of tires or changeovers.

Downside is that they are expensive and don't wear as well as some all-season tires.
    2' if it's packed will high-center just about anything.

I guess you have to clarify - do you mean a 2' total snow fall? You will pack down some and plow some more.

Around me there are always SUVs and trucks driving around while it's snowing, some treating the roads, others just driving around because they can, presumably.

So what ends up happening is they pack down the snow to about a 7-8" height, with two tracks for the tires, but it's packed firm.

The Tribeca has 8.4", correct? So you should be able to get around if those others have been using the roads.

I drove around with my Forester (in some cases with snow tires) and my problem was track width, i.e. I sort of had to make new tracks in places.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    I am on the task of ordering a new modern 7-seats SUV. Both models have mirrors with integrated LED turn signal which I like so much. Equally the CX-9 (grand Turing) has HID Xenon lights which the Subaru in the USA seems not to have although the Tribeca sold in Canada is sold with HID (Xenon) lights. Could somebody elaborate in this subject and inform me where in the USA I could order a 2008 Tribeca with Xenon lights.

I do not like moonroof in any car because a think this glass window decrease the structural rigidity of the chassis. It is pity that Subaru offers the Tribeca (Limited version) with a moonroof and it is not an option. However the CX-9 the moonroof is an option. However the CX-9 AWD is an option which is not in the Tribeca. I think if the Tribeca is sold with HID although it is 5-speed I will buy a Tribeca in spite of the fact that the CX-9 is 6-speed auto.
    Tribeca can't be ordered w/HIDs from a US dealer, and purchasing one from a Canadian dealer would cost you at least $10,000 more. You could order the necessary parts through a Canadian dealer or online Subaru parts seller, and then have a local shop install. That'd probably be a somewhat expensive way to go, and a bit of a hassle, but it is possible.

Have you driven Tribeca at night? I think the halogen projectors it uses are pretty good.

Other Tribeca advantages: better reliability, class-leading safety, highest retained value in its class. Subaru has arguably the strongest safety cage on the market, so perhaps the moonroof isn't too much of a rigidity factor in their vehicles.

CX-9 has been having some reliability issues. It's certainly a nice vehicle, but for peace of mind at least, I'd get an extended warranty if you go with the Mazda.

Good luck on your decision! :)
    I like 'em both. Can't go wrong with either one, IMO.
    Why the hangup on HIDs? Buy a good set of Hella driving lights if you REALLY can't see that well.

-mike
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Mike,
    The tone and language you use when expressing your opinion is a bit degrading and not conducive to your status as a 'host' of this forum.
    I say spend the money on LASIK if you have poor night vision like I did. Helps more than HIDs and it transfers to every subsequent car you buy. ;)
    Stop Spamming, you've been reported.
  • stanbranstanbran Member Posts: 2
    I agree, he seems to be unusually upset regarding a common sense question; maybe he is on Subaru's payroll and is upset for all those sales lost to other cars that have such features that people want! And, by the way, the HID lamps do make a difference for someone driving a lot on two lane roads at night, and even on a lonely highway.
    Hmm I drive on backroads often, and have installed a set of good aftermarket driving lights and they are far superior to any HIDs I've ever driven with including MB, BMW, Subaru, Lexus, etc.

The point being that they aren't offered so you can't get em, and that isn't likely to change for at least a year.

I like HIDs as much as the next guy, but when they aren't available, there isn't much you can do to put them in, unless you go with an aftermarket bulb/ballast system and this will actually cause problems because the reflectors and lenses on a non HID system are not setup for HID bulbs, so you'll just get oncoming traffic annoyed at the least, and at worst cause an accident.

On my Armada I run 2 pairs of Hella 4000 non-HID driving lights. 1 pair of pencil beams that go 5200 feet and the others are Euro-beams that have a wider pattern and go 2600 ft. These I have connected to my high-beam switch so that they only come on with my High-beams. These truely provide a great deal of light on the road, they are very large physically but I can suggest several other setups that would help.

On my SVX I installed the Hella Micro-DE projector HID driving lights, and these were a big help and were installed discreetely in the air-dam.

-mike
    the reflectors and lenses on a non HID system are not setup for HID bulbs

This is 100% correct.

The Sienna offers regular lights and HID lights, and the optics are different. You have to buy a whole new headlight enclosure. The lenses are different.

Primarily I believe HIDs tend to have a sharper cutoff, because otherwise you would blind oncoming traffic.
  • mrdavidoffmrdavidoff Member Posts: 2
    I just got a hot deal on the car. On 5 pass limited with navigation I got $345 a month with 0 down thats the only place that gave me that deal, every where else they asked me to put down $2000 plus tax . I love this car :)
    Congrats. :shades:
  • mrdavidoffmrdavidoff Member Posts: 2
    thanks
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Sounds great - congrats- you will enjoy this car.

What are the details of your lease?
    Miles, term etc. Were your inception fees rolled into your payments?

I'm about to lease the same car again- Any help I can get would be appreciated.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Where did you bought it?
  • pmtrepmtre Member Posts: 55
    Wow! best deal I've seen, We would sure like to know the details . Can you post them asap. We plan to lease this month. What was the MSRP? How many months? How many miles? MF? Residual?

Thanks in advance!
    MY OBW with Blizzaks has gone through 2' of fresh snow several times (different snow storms). Since the Tribeca has better ground clearance, I figured it would be a snap.

Sorry for the long delay in answering, but my internet connection was down for several weeks ( I live in the boonies & the local broadband tower was slow in getting replaced). Plus I was basking in the SW heat for the 4 previous weeks ( Balloon Fiesta, Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Phoenix & Tucson).

Now I'm home "enjoying" the cool north woods with snow flurries, etc.. Skiing next month. :P
    Don't s'pose you were in the "Petrified" Forest during Halloween? (I know, I know... a bit of a stretch to make that pun.)