Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Like I said, it's getting considerably bigger, so it should have quite a bit more room, both passenger and cargo, than the current Rendezvous.

I haven't seen anything first hand, but straight from what I was told, take the overall Centieme design theme, make it longer and wider, with more realistic design elements, and you'll have the new Enclave.

It'll share underpinnings with the similarly new GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook "mid-large" crossovers.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    The 2006 has the 3.5L which has more refinements, power, same economy and no gasket issues.

That said, our neighbor has a 2003 and has has no issues with over 100K kms on the dial.
  • bruce4bruce4 Member Posts: 13
    You can see my previous posts. We have a 2005 CXL. Drives good, handles okay at legal interstate speeds, but is VERY NOISY. Buick replaced tires at 3k miles, but that did very little. Previously had an 02 CX that was okay, but Buick went to a larger wheel and who knows what else they changed. I suggest you do some compartive test drives before you buy a Rendezous.
  • kagan1kagan1 Member Posts: 5
    I feel compelled to write this after leasing my 2nd RDV, and reading the stuff on this board as well as the editor's review on Edmunds.

Firstly, all makes have lemons. 1 or 2 experiences do not make an overall truth. In fact, Buick is ranked 2nd behind Lexus for overall reliability, and 3rd for Customer Satisfaction by JD Power. These are based on huge #'s that give a better picture overall. I won't get into a statistical lesson here. AND, I have never been a Buick fan in the past. Most sedans I have owned have been European, or Japanese.

HOWEVER, I find the editor's review to be grossly unfair. They take the RDV and compare it to the best of each segment. OK, it's not as luxurious as a Lexus or MBz sedan, it has less cargo room than a minivan, and it can't tow like a Yukon. I can write this exact same review for any crossover and it would hold true in each case.

When I bought my 1st RDV, it just eeked past the MDX. My decision was based on cargo room, third row leg room, and cool features like the Heads Up Display. Not to mention $30 per month lower payment. I must admit, after about 15,000 miles, I thought maybe I should have gotten the MDX simply for driving pleasure. However, since this is our kiddie car and used extensively for weekends and vacations, I knew it was the right call given the IR DVD, cargo room, ease of entry, etc. After all, it IS a small minivan disguised as an SUV.

We drove this car for 60,000 miles, and not a single hiccup. It remained as tight as ever, and drove very comfortably all along. Since I was getting killed on mileage, I decided to look for something else to put miles on. I test drove many vehicles. Trailblazer/Envoy: drives like a cargo van (uuugh!)These are death on wheels. Highlander: A boat! You get sea sick making left hand turns. Everything slides around due to the ultra soft suspension. MDX: Again, too small. XC90: No legroom in 2nd row. Nice ride and handling, very carlike, but noisy engine. Also has a very loud suspension over potholes. Extremely overpriced once you load it up. Otherwise a fine choice, in my opinion. Honda Pilot: OK overall, good drive, lots of road noise though. A little sloppy compared to MDX. AND Dealers are a pain in the a**. They treat you like you're a teenager, and insult your intelligence when negotiating. Arrogant as can be! Lastly, the Pacifica: Nice overall, but a bit chintzy after scrutinizing. Also small for cargo, and has a horrible blind spot.

So, after all this, I got a call from GM/Buick Dealer. They would buy out the rest of my lease, and offer better financing on another RDV. For financial reasons alone, I couldn't pass this up.

Now I have the CXL Plus with neutral interior instead of the Gray in my old one. This is important now....The only thing I truly disliked about the old one was how soft the suspension was. It held the road surprisingly well, but leaned quite a bit in the turns. It also had a tendency to hop a bit in the rear on bad roads when turning. The new one has the trailering package which I did not ask for but was already included. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Along with the 17 inch wheels which add to the road feel, this vehicle rides and handles as well as anything on the market. Take my word for it.

This feature is very inexpensive, but adds an air compressor which automatically measures weight of people/things in the car and uses air pressure to stiffen or soften suspension accordingly. I immediately noticed that the lean was gone. The shocks push the wheels back down to the road with authority when I encounter bumps and potholes. It actually feels rather sporty now. I'm loving it. I find myself going out at night just to drive some twisty roads in our area. Just for fun! I haven't even mentioned the new VVT engine yet. 245 hp and loads of torque. I timed 0-60 in under 8 seconds. Yes, it sucks gas when you floor it, but it's nice to have the power in reserve for when you need it.

Look, here's the bottom line:

This vehicle is solid, dependable, and very high in the utility department. It has much more cargo room than any other mid sized crossover. Nothing even comes close. It even trumps the Volvo XC90 by nearly 20 cu ft. The new interior in the Plus package warms things up quite a bit. It is more pleasing than the MDX interior to me. It can tow 3500 lbs. More than I will ever need, and more than most other vehicles in its class. You can actually seat adults in the 3rd row from time to time. No it can't tackle the mountains, but neither can anything else in this class. Save the Touareg, but that's not a family vehicle, is it? It's drivetrain and platform are time proven for reliability. Just check out published detail on this. You can expect over 100,000 miles on these engines easily.

The RDV has less cargo room than a minivan but more than any other mid sized cross-over you can find. It offers the only truly usable 3rd row seating. It can not tackle rough terrain like a truck, but is far easier to drive. It is not as silky and refined as a Lexus 330, but still better than average in the class. It is well built. Surprisingly so for a GM vehicle. Remember, 60,000 miles on the old one, and not even a single rattle when I returned it.

Sorry for the ulta-long post. But, this is how the editor's review should read. I hope the guys at Edmunds are listening. You really should take another look at this vehicle. It seems to me that you guys went into evaluating the original 2002 model after already making up your minds. I noticed you haven't road tested it since. Take another look, and reevaluate. You owe it to your readers.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for the input. Our reviewers would love to hear from you so consider using the Contact Us form.

tidester, host
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    thanks for the post. this is the kind of post i want to hear from. real life experience. i know that every auto maker builds a lemon. i want to hear from folks that have given the auto a long term test.
    we are looking to replace the car, a 1998 olds intrigue, that my wife drives daily to and from work. her round trip is 40 miles of rural highway driving. she loves the intrigue but would like a little more groung clearance and a higher seating position in a fwd vehicle. we live about 80 miles from any import dealer, but have a full line GM,DC Jeep dealer in town. Service means a lot to me,{I hope to never have to use it,} and this dealer has a great service department.
    We have considered the Pac, but have concerns about visibility. We have considered the Equinox/Torrent but don't like the layout of the interior. since we have a GM mastercard the GM line is being given more attention.
    the Rdv's we have sat in seem very comfortable. I know of a family that are also on their 2nd RDV. they love them and nver had any problems either. their first on was a 2002 cxl awd, and now have a 05 ultra.
    we are thinking about a cxl fwd, trailering package, 2nd row captains seats and cargo cover.
    again thanks for the post. it helps in the decision process more than you know.
  • greenhkgreenhk Member Posts: 48
    I also want to thank you for your post. Exactly what I want - honesty. I also felt that the reviewers had given the RDV an unfair review. What they said could have been said about any vehicle out today.

I went to an auto show this weekend. Sat in & LOVED the RDV (2006) - 2 concerns/questions I have. Is there a large blind spot when looking out the sides in the back?(as when you want to change lanes on the highway) - it appears there may be. Also, do you prefer the bench seat with the pull down arm rest/cup holder/tray gadget, or do you prefer the captain chais in the 2nd row?

Thanks!
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Troublefree RDV. Mine's a 3.4 2004 FWD with 18,000 zero-defect/trouble-free miles. My sincerest sympathies for those who've been stuck with lemon RDV's. The combination of small [<than a Camry!] outside size, easy driving, huge cargo space, comfy for adults 2nd and 3rd seats, high driving position, extra ground clearance [it's a great snow car!] and 23 MPG average mileage is unbeatable for the money. Speaking of money, I got great deal back in '04; your experience may differ. Still, Buick gets no respect - my dealer shut his doors after 50+ years partly due to slow sales. Consumer Reports NEVER mentions the RDV in its comparos [they STILL list the discontinued Aztek!] and I cannot find an RDV test for the last couple of years. How would I improve it? How about more power, better mileage, better ride and handling, bigger brakes....why not? I'll probably get another next year.
  • nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    Just tonight, all of a sudden, it started making a loud grinding screeching noise from the back whenever in motion. Doesn't matter if it's in gear or in neutral, engine on or off. The noise increases in intensity with speed and is unbearable above 10 mph. Yesterday I started to hear a faint whining noise that came and went with speed and was the only prior hint that anything was amiss.

Any thoughts before I get it towed in the morning?

Thanks in advance.
  • huskydawghuskydawg Member Posts: 15
    Hopefully they have solve some of the chronic problems with the RDV. My 2002 RDV has had it's share of the problem. But since I have not driven or owned a 2005/2006 RDV, I can't comment on it. But beware of the resale value of the RDV, it is awful! I'm getting offer of $10,000 for a 2002 RDV with only 24,500 miles on it with extended warranty good till 02/2007 or 45,000. I have almost every option(except for the captain 2nd row chair).
  • scottgtpscottgtp Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Did anyone reply to you. Can you upgrade the Climate Control to digital. My manual fan only works on setting's 4 and 5
  • scottgtpscottgtp Member Posts: 2
    I have the manual climate control, my fan only works now on setting 4 and 5. Can I replace with the digital dual zone control?
    I need to replace it anyways

tks :)
  • jhartjhart Member Posts: 10
    Last year I bought a 03 RDV FWD on Ebay. I checked out the seller and the vehicle via some relatives who live there. The car is black and was a low mileage lease return. Since having the car I have had a couple minor recalls. The only major problem was the oil leak I noticed a month ago. I thought the oil filter was leaking and replaced it and cleaned the area of the oil pan. Still leaked. I took it to Sam Swope Buick in Louisville and they diagnosed a bad intake gasket. It was leaking a little anti freeze also. They said it had been worked on by a GM dealer in Florida who apparently failed his engine repair class. They repaired it quickly and also found a tiny leak of the power steering resevoir. They fixed that and replaced the lumbar knob with a better one. All w/o asking! They also offered me a loaner. Swope gave me a 12,000 additional miles on the intake repair as my warranty has just expired. They even called later to see if the repair was to my satisfaction. I wish my son had bought a Buick or other car there instead of the junky Ford Focus (FUNGUS) he bought.(Talk abought a lemon!!) I will certainly buy my next car from Swope (if GM doesn't go under). Having a decent dealer makes all the differance if you happen to end up with a vehicle that requires a little more maintenance or repair. My RDV runs great and my wife loves it. My two cents worth. Jim Hart
  • glenn95630glenn95630 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a sheepskin seat cover for Christmas. I need to remove the driver's headrest in my 2003 Buick Rendezvous in order to install it according to the seat cover directions. I recognize that the seat cover directions are not make/model specific. My owner's manual is silent on headrest removal. Any suggestions?
  • buickrdv02buickrdv02 Member Posts: 9
    I have found the circuit board to corrode in the motor. Luckily it is inside the black paltic housing right outside the metal motor. Easy to remove. My problem is that I cannot find the replacement part on the net. Next step is to call the dealer, but I dont want to buy the whole assembly for a ($10_approx) part, I think the whiole part is $200 or more maybe. What has happened is the wiper never shuts off and now makes a horrible noise, so I disconnected it for now and removed it until I fix it somehow. Any ideas out there????
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Expected to go on sale in 2007 and replace the Rendezvous and Rainier, the 2007 Buick Enclave is a dream for the American garage and makes you just gotta love the USA." (Straightline blog)

There's talk about it in the 2007 Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave discussion.

Steve, Host
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    www.rockauto.com

Check here to see if the part's available.
    also
    gmpartsdirect.com

or used..
    www.car-parts.com

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Thanks Steve. Looks like a winner.

Ken
  • timwestimwes Member Posts: 2
    1. 01/04/06: Purchase one-owner 2003 Rendezvous with 38K from dealer, looks like a great upgrade to our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 142K miles.

2. 01/05/06 8:00 am: Have to bring it back to the dealer because it never went through CT emissions. Am given my old Jeep as a 'loaner' for the day

3. 01/05/06 5:00-9:00 pm: Pick up car, notice an antifreeze smell. See steam coming from grille, but see no leak. Decide to bring it in first thing in the AM.

4. 01/06/06 8:00 am: Bring the car in when the shop opens, at 10:00 I am informed that the intake gasket is leaking, and they need to keep the car until Monday. Am given my old Jeep as a 'loaner' for the weekend.

5. 01/09/06 12:00 pm: Call to ask when the car will be ready so I can pick it up. Am told that since they have to send the heads out to be machined, it won't be ready until the following day.

6. 01/10/06 10:00 am: Call for a status; leave a message

7. 01/10/06 11:00 am: Call for a status, speak to salesman, who says service will get back to me.

8. 01/10/06 12:15 pm: Call service directly, am told that the head hasn't been sent out yet, car won't be ready until the following day.

I've since discovered this weekend that the intake gasket problem is a common one, so I can live with the fact that it went bad; at least I discovered very early and it won't cost me anything. Having the car for 1 out of 7 days kind of angers me, though.
    Well, it sure LOOKS a lot better - Nissan Murano, look out! And I'm glad to see a lot more power; can one hope for 30mpg on the road, too? After all, the reason we LOVE our '04 Rondy is its great functionality - a Camry sized package where you sit high like in an SUV with tons of room, a good ride and decent mpg. So, what happened to that 7th seat? And is all that Rondy cargo room [108 cu. ft.] still there? Do those great big wheels = great big brakes? 3 DVD screens + fold-down picnic trays like a Rolls - can I afford it? A full-length skylight? The answer to an unasked question, no? Well, it's REAL nice to know it'll be built here in the USA, but I may just trade in for a leftover '06 while I still can get one. PS - Acadia SHOULD sell like crazy.
    Note: There's no mention of Acadia on Buick's website; they do tout Enclave, a larger luxo-SUV. The Acadia name is being saved for a GMC crossover.
  • gail04gail04 Member Posts: 51
    You're not alone...see all of mine...! I finally switched to another dealer, and having at least a little more kindness from them per se...car still has some issues. No one will give a decent trade, 04 w/7000 miles, and 6 yr. extended trans. warranty. I finally (HOPEFULLY)had major leaks all taken care of. Alternater is noisy, has been a complaint. New dealer will replace it for me hopefully, and I am constantly checking to make sure sunroof/roof racks and flooring don't leak, all the time. Not a good way to start a new relationship with this vehicle. Hope you have better luck w/yours in time.
    HI,

Can you tell me if your seat covers "work/fit?" My Rndy has side air bags. Had to return seat covers because you can't block the airbags here in massachusetts. Also, does anyone know if in an 04, we can (hopefully) install remote car starter and not have all the issues those in the past have listed here as far as the car quiting on them? Thank you.
  • lgret13lgret13 Member Posts: 21
    i have an 03 CXL and have installed a Viper remote start and have no problems with the car quiting. The remote start is the best accessory i have every had installed on a vehicle particulary in the winter.
  • travaztravaz Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2002 rendezvous, she drove it to the store came home and then nothing,no electric power what so ever. I have tried to jump it but no help. No door lock ,chimes,lights,horn or clock. Can someone please help?
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Try tightening the battery connector to the battery (negative terminal first). It tends to build up corrision because it's exposed. Mines was loose from the factory and also loose after a new battery was installed. It left me stranded about 2 weeks back after I put it in park.
  • festafesta Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 02 CX with a ton of options, onstar (love it) AWD, havent used it yet, back up sensor, (cool) that driver info thing (no idea) If anyone has any tips ...please
    Tommy
  • pilothowardpilothoward Member Posts: 3
    Sometimes there is a short in the wiring harness the burns out a Maxifuse or the relays. Check which fuse is related to these common failed components and try replacing it. The typical culprit is in the steering column. As you drive, the wiring chaffs and the short will happen intermittently.
    Howard
  • dpullen4dpullen4 Member Posts: 12
    I've been coveting the RDV for some time because of Buick comfort and performance. I've seen some 2002 CXL's sell in the price range I'm hoping to stay within $10-11k in my next purchase. I've seen some negative comments about particular vehicles in the threads, but just wondered if anyone would share their mileage and overall experience.

BTW, a coworker told me that he believes his sister is wanting to sell her Silver 2002 CXL and it only has 30k miles on it. She has yet to name a price on it. If I could pull that off for $11-12k(KBB lists just under $13k in excellent condition), are there really any other vehicles even worthy of consideration? I'd really like the added convenience to being able to handle more than 4-5 passengers the RDV allows for, but I don't want a mini van. Thanks for any info you could provide.
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    Do your homework before buying a 2002 CXL.Ask about its history and see why they are wanting to sell such a low mileage vehicle.There are some good ones out there and there are some bad ones.Consumer Reports rates them below average.

We traded off a 34,000 mile 2002 CXL AWD that you couldnt tell from new and believe me you wouldnt have wanted it.On the plus side they are roomy,handle good,and ride good.

On the down side beware of faulty BCM's,leaking intake gaskets,wheel bearing issues,failing AC condensors,etc.

Personally I would look for a 2003 or newer RDV.
  • cmccullcmccull Member Posts: 33
    My 2002 CX with 28,000 miles has been great. No problems, has never been back to the dealer for anything. The 3rd back seat comes in handy. I usually get 20 - 21 MPG around town.

:)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper would like to interview current and former owners of Buicks. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Tuesday, March 7, 2006 with your daytime contact info, your Buick's year, make and model, and a few thoughts on the subject of interest.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• susanmichellesusanmichelle Member Posts: 1
    have new seat covers how do I get the headrests off? Drivers & passengers side. Thanks :confuse:
  • corecompscorecomps Member Posts: 1
    Just as the subject says I'm looking at 02 or 03 models. They look the same but the year alone tends to give it another $2000 or 20% value....

Is it worth it? Anything I should look for?

PS> I'm getting a CXL with sunroof.
  • rick4rick4 Member Posts: 15
    My oem Firestones are just about gone. Can someone recommend some good replacements. I am looking for a quieter tire, the firestones were pretty noisy. They lasted about 39000 miles.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I have on a set of Michelin LTX (passenger) tires and they are great. Definitely much more quiet than the original Firestones and with better handling too. They are pricy though.
  • bstephens2bstephens2 Member Posts: 2
    I had a 2002 CX that I traded for a 2005 last December. We enjoyed the 02 much more than we have the 05. However, the 02 models have had a lot of problems. Consumers Report has the 02 on its' 'don't buy' list. Suggest you buy a copy of the April issue of Consumer Reports and read the comments there.
  • ttop72ttop72 Member Posts: 4
    Susan: I just purchased a 2006 Rendezvous CX. The color is Cashmere which I wanted, However the ONLY Interior color issued with this color is also very light Tan. Seats will be VERY EASY to get dirty. I also wanted to install seat covers and I had to go to the Buick dealer and have the headrest removed. The Tech looked the headrest up on his computer and removing the headrest required (2) two special tools which they had, so they remove them for free. Good luck
  • da_rookieeda_rookiee Member Posts: 3
    I saw this on the news yesterday it is something not only Rendezvous owners but GM owners alike should know.Check out the link

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060330/whistleblower_gm_06- 0406/20060406/
  • gail414gail414 Member Posts: 2
    Where did you find seat covers to get around the side airbags? My car is navy outside, and horrible, light grey inside...........same issue with cleaning!! Thank you, Gail
  • brentbbrentb Member Posts: 8
    I just sold my 2002 Rendezvous CXL with 103k miles, and thought I'd share my ownership costs. This includes everything including purchase price, trade in price, insurance, repairs, and gas.

Total cost to me averaged $0.42 per mile. This consists of
    $0.25 per mile for purchase price minus trade in value ($7700... not worth much, is it?)
    Gas cost averaged 10.8 cents per mile @18.3 mpg
    Insurance was 2.6 cents per mile and repairs were 4 cents per mile.

I bought the extended warranty for $1795, and it saved me $1000. Major repairs included left front wheel bearing/hub, a/c condenser, air bag control module, BCM twice, O2 sensor, mass air flow sensor, transmission pressure control unit, and fuel tank sending unit

My impressions of the vehicle: A lot of bang for the buck, feature wise. Very comfortable for tall people, not really a replacement for a minivan if you're hauling 4 adults, a great center console, poor heating/a/c to the back seat..may as well not have had rear vents at all, loved the backup sensors and big mirrors, I thought the vehicle seemed a bit noisy in its later years.

Hope someone finds this useful!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks Brent! I love posts like these.

Funny, Edmunds' True Cost to Own tool says the average cost per mile for a 2002 Rendezvous CXL is .42 a mile too, for my zip code anyway.

Did you plan it that way?

Steve, Host
  • tbullingtbulling Member Posts: 1
    My power window is not working. I hear the motor but the window does not nove. Could I get some help in how to remove the door panel? I have taken out a couple of screws but am afraid to pry/pull too hard! Help!
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if they have had a noise under their hood like a soft grinding noise from 0-30MPH? I have been to 2 dealers, they hear it, but haven't a clue. Finally, one got some report from GM that mentioned Camshaft issues, but rept. stated "Not an issue, won't affect performance or Safety." This car has got to go and I'm working on selling/trading it as it's been a year of much unhappiness as my posts indicate. Putting that aside, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this? I can't drive the car in traffic w/o radio on, as the noise is more like a tea kettle on high boil sound. Air throttle came up on computer at dealers, so they replaced it, and guess what??? It wasn't that, so now they tell me they don't know, and to "ignore" it until it gets unbearable. It is,and they still don't know. Thank you in advance, gail :lemon:
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    It could be the wheel bearing!
  • mztrsinbadmztrsinbad Member Posts: 1
    Did you get any help with this question? I have the exact same problem.

Thanks.
    Thanks for your response, JDKS. Funny thing..4 wks after buying this lemon, the actually had to replace the left front strut because it was slapping in the front! I'll keep that in mind next oil change to bring it up. Very frustrating vehicle for sure. :lemon:
  • mtrunzmtrunz Member Posts: 1
    Can I still get a copy of GM service bulletin 02 01 39 008?
    I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
    Is it true that production of the Rendezvous model has ended? Has anyone had any experience with the '06 RDVs? I'm thinking of trading in my [so far = 25K miles] trouble-free '04 on a new one before they're all gone. Thanks.
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Not true about end of Rendezvous production. The model will be out for one more year (2007) - I believe that the new Buick Enclave will replace the RDV for the 2008 model year. I am picking up my new CXL (FWD) tomorrow - cant wait. Got it in Cappucino Frost w/tan leather, navigation, 3.6L engine.