Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Special Interest Vehicles

pianoguypianoguy Member Posts: 7
I haven't been able to find anything that refers
to this topic (however broad you may define it as)
anywhere on here; It's only been alluded to.
Pianoguy-
Eric
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I've read a nice term for cars like this....Etceterini....as in etc, etc....the cars you think about after you've thought about all the cars you thought you knew about....sometimes cars like Packard are called "Orphans" because they aren't made anymore,,,the Lambo, of course is alive and well, and kit cars...well, are kit cars, what can you say?
  • pianoguypianoguy Member Posts: 7
    Nice summation!

What can be said about Kit cars? (Not just the run of the mill Fiero or VW)

I'm an 18 year old car enthusiast that unfortunately doesn't know much of the technical gobblee-[non-permissible content removed] that you masters of the trade emote so fluently.
    The cars listed in the title of my message are just a few automobiles that have always intrigued me.
    I'm thinking of going in to a trade school for a year or two, just to get the mechanics down (no pun intended); even though that is *definitely* not in my line of work.

My aspirations are high, but my present state is ridiculous.

So, does anyone have anything to add? ask? correct?
    There's a big shortage of talent in the auto tech field, and lots of opportunity. If you become fully qualified in a top notch dealership or independent shop, you can make a very good living these days. So as a career possibility for an 18-year-old, it's not a bad choice at all.

I don't think you can train yourself by just tinkering, like we older guys did. The technology is too complex and every-changing. You need classroom time and books.

I'm not personally very high on kits cars. Usually you end up with a very substandard machine and spend a lot of money getting to mediocrity. Geez, by the time you bought an old Fiero, had it rebuilt, bought a Ferrari/Fiero kit, installed the whole thing after hundreds of hours of work, you could have bought a used Ferrari for $25,000, instead of having a fake one worth $5,000 on a good day. I don't get the economics or the satisfaction index of kit cars myself, but perhaps someone has had a more interesting experience with them.
    Kit Cars:
    That's one of my quibbles with em. I mean, you have this design, which is absolutely beautiful, but yet, you're limited to such a foolish end.
    I thought maybe i was ignorant there too, and was missing something i.e. are there any good kits, but seems to me, it's like runnin around in circles...very slowly, and very poorly.

Lamborghini:
    I plan to own one or 2 in my lifetime. I'm considering a series 3 Espada. I'll have to get in touch with an owner's club, etc.

if you know you know too little, you know more than most youth already...you could make a whole lot worse mistakes in life than buying an old Espada...if you shopped carefully, you could pick one up for around $15K that was halfway decent, it's a much unappreciated car...one sold (Series II)at Coys' auction in UK in July 1998 for only $13,235 USD, with just 61000 kilometers on it, described as good original condition). Not bad for 12 cylinders and 155 mph...of course, you'll have to live with the dated styling and the fact that it will not appreciate in value.
  • bcathcartbcathcart Member Posts: 54
    LAMBOS.Beware spares cost the earth!
    that's why you need to buy the best car you can afford, a Lambo is not a car you want to patch up from a beater, you'll never see daylight.
    I'll have to live with the outdated styling? Well, you have a right to be wrong.

Seriously, that's about the price range i've seen also. I don't expect to own one anytime soon, but am slowly moving in that direction. I've also heard of Mr Leno's Espada, some unknown amount of miles for $12k. (i am fully aware that his auto broker most likely negotiates with weapons ready and poised upon the seller)

Is anyone aware of a decent kit car? I think the practice, etc, in building one would do me good. I've lost heart in an area, that i think would perhaps be very advantageous.
    When i envision a real kit car, i only imagine something to give its real counterpart a run for its money, if not perfectly identical, yet, not commissioned by the company itself, and a whole lot cheaper.
    Everywhere i look, i see the exact opposite.
  • edwardjredwardjr Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody had any experience with Porsche
    Speedster kit cars. I'm not interested in building, but a new turn-key or perfect used.
    Thanks
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,545
    Re post 8, that sounds closest to one of the Cobra kits. I know that some are better than others, but if you get a good one and take the time with it, you get a nice car a whole lot cheaper than an original.

Not too long ago the dudes on shadetree mechanic (which I watch every sunday morning while making breakfast for the family. My wife doesn't understand it at all) built a Cobra kit up. seemed entirely plausible to do for an experienced do it yourselfer with the right tools and a lot of patience.

They may not appreciate, but boy do they look fun to own.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

True, but, cobras aren't my thing......

I've given up on the whole thing. although, a guy in town has an 86 Fiero - Ferrari 328 look alike for a few thousand. i may take a look at it (just for novelty though). I'm already thinking of saving up for a real one...but, a lamborghini sounds soo much better....

Ignorantly speaking,
    Eric
  • feed_the_gizmofeed_the_gizmo Member Posts: 1
    I've just aquired a 55 Chevy that i'm in the process of restoring. Rather than have just another 50's sedan, I decided to have a little fun with this one, and make it look like a vintage cop car. I'm in the process of tracking down light bars, spotlights, ect, from the period to dress it up (Which is extremely difficult). I know it's against the law to impersonate cops but would it be legal to drive such a car to car shows, or will my beloved Chevy be reduced to becoming a trailer queen? Not many people would beleive the Police would still use a 55 Bel Air, and I beleive it would be a great way to turn heads.
    I have some experience in this by driving movie cars around.

You'd have to cover up any words that say "Police" with tape or whatever and you can't use the lights or siren of course, and they ( I believe) need to be covered as well.
    And the cops take it seriously, so heed the warning. Check with the local police for further details if you want to drive this car on the streets. Nice project, good luck with it. (never saw a Chevy cop car from 1955, I thought they were all Fords).
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    In Texas, you're not allowed to operate a motor vehicle with red lights showing from any angle except rear, and no blue lights from any angle at all. Assuming its the same in all 50 states, you'd have to cover or remove these (remember, the lights are all some police cars have). I'd suggest just going ahead and removing them so it looks like a normal Chevy going down the road. I've never seen an Chevy cop cars from that era either, but have seen a Buick or two. But I guess if you want to do it, hey its your car. Although it'd definately attract attention at the car shows if you do it right.
This discussion has been closed.