Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is "White" a manly color for a car?

tangofoxtrottangofoxtrot Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in General
I'm about to purchase a new car, an Acura RL. I'm not sure if I want white with black or tan interior. My collegues at work are all telling me only women drive white cars. What do you say guys?

Comments

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    for a rental car.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    A man who is secure and confident can drive any color he wants to drive. Be yourself, not what you think others want you to be. ;)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    I think men who don't care about cars can drive white cars. White doesn't work best on most cars...maybe a GTI or an old Rolls, or a car pressed into commercial service. Come to think of it, it works well on some vintage cars, more than modern cars.

My mother has had several white cars. My father had one, and it was a vintage car.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I like white cars and probably would have one. But my wife doesn't like them. :sick:

There's a white Z3 in my garage right now and it looks great (my neighbor is remodeling his garage and I'm baby sitting his Bimmer for him). When my wife pulled into the garage and saw it for the first time, I told her I had a big project lined up so I was buying the Z3 and she almost fell for it. :shades:

Come to think of it, the Z3 belongs to my neighbor's wife, but I'd still take it off her hands.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I live in Arizona, where about 40% of all the vehicles on the road are white.

You are no more likely to see a man or a woman or a transgender or a eunuch in any of them based on the color of that vehicle.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    White a color? I thought it was the absence of color.

Anyway, I have a white car and as far as I know I am a man. I think white on a car can look good on some cars and bad on some cars. For example my Escape has alot of black trim pieces that offset its whiteness.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    No... don't get white. You are concerned with not looking like a woman, or you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

That said, some off whites can be attractive. Such as a nice "pearl white" perhaps. :blush:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    some off whites can be attractive. Such as a nice "pearl white" perhaps.

Frigidaire White cars won't make you look like a girl but they'll make you look like an old man.

I used to own a Pearl White metallic Audi A4, it might be the best looking car I've ever owned but the same car in Alpine(snow)White would be boring.

OTOH Ivory or Cream works very well on some cars.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Frigidaire White cars won't make you look like a girl but they'll make you look like an old man."

Good point. It all depends on the type of white.

Besides, I think the question is ill-phrased: I don't think it's a matter of 'manly' colors vs. 'girly' colors, I think it's a question of conservative/restrained colors vs. colors with some pop. On a more conservative type of automobile (like an Acura RL), a nice conservative color looks appropriate. Like a Pearl White or Silver.

Ivory or Cream? Old man..... ;)
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    As the male drive of a white Dodge Ram, I think its fine.

But seriously, when the guys at work start making the car payment for you, then they get to pick the color.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    No. No. Absence of color is black. Presence of all colors is white.

I think what looks good in white really depends on the car. My brother had a white Volvo 240 wagon - it looked like a refrigerator on wheels.

I could see where white would be good in Arizona, for the same reason it is good in Florida - reflects the heat. Black, OTOH, while it can look sharp would make the car intolerably hot!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    No. Both white and black are absent of color. Think of matter and anti-matter.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    A Porsche 356 looks good in white.

I saw a white W211 E55 AMG today...and that's certainly not an effeminate car...so I guess it depends a lot on the vehicle.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "No. Both white and black are absent of color. Think of matter and anti-matter."

Congratulations - I think you just fried my synapses, jipster.

I'm reminded of something a caller said recently to the local afternoon radio talk-show host:

"It's not whether it's right...or whether it's wrong....it's whether it's wrong OR right!"

Sometimes, I think you and that caller speak the same language.... ;)
    LOL. My wife feels the same way.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    ...that with pretty much any light color, it depends on how much unbroken color there is.

Older cars generally looked better in white, as there was a lot of chrome trim, bumpers, rubber, etc. to break up the field of white.
    Newer cars, with all the body-colored plastic, present much more of an unbroken field of color, and for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to look as good. Esp. with the aero designs of today...you get a sorta space-pod look. :confuse:
    which come s back to color and cars.... I hadn't thought of things like chrome and rubber breaking things up. Good point.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Different strokes I guess - I'm not usually a big fan of stuff glued on the sides of my cars. My van is pretty clean for a big ol' slab sided artifact. My wagon has cladding that's mostly unobtrusive but I don't care much for it or the pinstriping. The chrome side window glass surrounds on the new breed of curvy CR-V type cars don't appeal to me much either.

Right now all the trim on my house is painted the same color as the house too. ;)
    "Right now all the trim on my house is painted the same color as the house too."

Good plan!

Actually both of my vehicles are all a single color with no real chrome or rubber.

I think if the Ody were white it might benefit from something to break up the color to reduce the refrigerator similarities.
    Back to the 60's with the airbrush for you then, LOL.

Oh, good!

You first.....
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    No. Both white and black are absent of color. Think of matter and anti-matter.

Sorry while black is the absence of color white is a combination of all colors. Shine a white light through a prism and it will break up into individual colors.

That being said my very first car back in the late 70's was white. It was a 69 Boss Mustang, now someone try to tell me that wasn't a manly car.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Older cars generally looked better in white, as there was a lot of chrome trim, bumpers, rubber, etc. to break up the field of white.

That applies to dark colored cars as well, particularly black ones. I've built a lot of scale models of sports cars and noticed that without a little chrome to frame the design they lose something.

Allow me to illustrate:

1969 Porsche 911S:

1990s Porsche 911:

• ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ...I guess it depends on what kind of 'man' you'd like to be. I'm not generally a big fan of white cars, but I do think it looks good on a few, and on larger, more utilitarian vehicles (minivans, maybe). That said, I think it depends on where you live, too. I live in Chicago, we have tons of black cars and very few white; they're both a pain to keep clean, but white in particular looks like crap when it's covered with salt or slush, not to mention rust. I wouldn't want a black car in Texas, Arizona or Florida, but there are tons of white cars out there.
  • cottermcotterm Member Posts: 14
    I don't see white as either male or female color. Pearl white is a different story though. I get so sick of the stereotypes. I am looking to sell my f150 lariat and go to a smaller SUV or larger sedan. However, seems like all the midsize SUV's are perceived to be womens cars. Had an expedition before, and dont want to go that big. From what I read around here, it seems as though I must go with a black Hummer :)
  • tangofoxtrottangofoxtrot Member Posts: 10
    This is the first time I ever submitted a forum question. I was overwhelmed by the number of responses. Thanks so much for all your help. Like one of you suggested, I am a very self confident person. I will drive what I want to drive, so white it is. Thanks again everyone!
    Just don't let it be a pink VW New Beetle , that would be very feminine. :)
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I think buying a Hummer of any sort says a lot about one's masculinity. But not in the way that their buyers believe. ;)
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    "Real Men, Wear Black" :shades:

I think the same can be said on cars in most cases unless that color is Cadillac
    "Pearl White Diamond" ;)

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    My Cadillac Seville STS is White Diamond and everybody loves the color. One of the best things about white is that it hides scratches better than many colors. I also love red, but it attracts scratches and cops.
    Tony Soprano would not be caught dead an a white Escalade !

But, who knows , by the end of this season he may be found dead in a black one.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    Bo knows baseball and football, but a white mustang gt with black top is a classic.
    california special
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Not my cup of tea. I'd rather have a Black GT500 Stang probably over any other color.

Rocky
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    who is more concerned with practicality than image, whit may be the BEST color. White is more reflective than other colors which reduces solar heating. It is also among the most visible of colors (other than international orange or bright yellow) which has obvious benefits.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    It is rather attractive, but without the perfunctory "Wing" mounted on the decklid, it would be a lot better. What a way to break up flowing lines.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    There's only one way to show that you're a real MAN...Drive an old pick-up with oversize "monster truck" wheels. Only a real man can climb up into one. It should have a good deal of rust to show that you're an "experienced man". Large amounts of mud all over it to demonstrate that you are an "outdoors man". A gun rack in the back window will warn everyone to watch out, you are a "Dangerous man". Finally, a pair of fuzzy dice will tell everyone that you are a "Ladies man".

Or, instead of worrying about what your dumb buddies think, buy what you want and if they don't like it they can walk.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Best response yet! I suggested that when they start making the payments they can pick the color, but this takes it!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    i'm keeping it real! :)
    if they come out with another 'bullitt' edition, i might go for that, although i keep saying my mustang days are pretty much over.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    White is cooler in the summer and easier to keep clean. Tan is probably the best for not showing the dirt. Black is for those with lots of time on their hands to keep it dusted. Black only looks good when it is spotless clean. Otherwise it is an ugly lack of color. Or is it all the colors combined. I don't know, flunked art class.
    I've been skimming the new photos posted on CarSpace this morning. White is well represented. Here's another:

See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    TAn cars are good for hiding dirt. I always thought that silver was about the best at this. A silver care never looks terrible, but teh flip side is that it never looks great either.

You can't beat a good gray interior for hiding the dirt inside.
    Only looks good on Cadillac's, the mid-late 90's Buick Riveria's and all generations of the Aurora. It also looks okay on some Trucks, but for the most part I prefer other colors. ;)

Rocky
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I can't see your picture. :cry:
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Here's the link - holler if you can't see it that way. You may have to flush your cache or something.
    Where was that taken?

Can't be Florida (only one Caddy) and can't be Arizona (only one Buick).

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Didn't Ford make a special all white edition of the Sable 15-20 years ago? Everything on the car was white even the badging (ok the brake lights were still red).

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• davv62davv62 Member Posts: 76
    Get the color you want.

Personally, I hate white cars, but I never really thought about whether white is "manly" or not.

I know that pink or lime green isn't manly, but white always seemed kind of neutral to me -- neither manly nor unmanly. It's just there -- nondescript -- which is probably why I don't like it.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Growing up I was always reminded that white pants were not manly but that is about it. I probably see more males in white cars than females, and I would probably buy a white car in the future.
This discussion has been closed.