Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If the nitrogen you put in your tires is free, then I fail to see any issue with using it. There doesn't seem to be any reason why it would be bad for your tires, so I can't see any argument that makes sense.
  • Advice on things to look for? Yes. Speed limit signs!! It's quite fast.

Also, if you buy it make sure they give you both sets of floor mats AND the trunk mat. You should have cloth and rubber floor mats for free.

Furthermore, make sure a spare tire is included.

Lastly, do not let the sales guy go with you on the test drive. Drive it like you normally do without being pressured. If it takes 2 hours to decide or 12 hours, that is your prerogative, screw their convenience or policy if they want you to plunck down 27 to 30 k.

Lastly....enjoy yourself, and take some pictures!
  • Yeah...I know. I like you anyway though. :)
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The only downside is having to take it back to the tire shop if you do need to add some. Since I do my own tire rotations that would be an extra trip for me. And I thought most places charge extra for it up front.
  • I think it is time for an unscheduled service appointment. My car is making an irritating noise that sounds like it is coming from under the back of the car.

After I got out and verified that it wasn't a pedestrian moaning under the car, (since I do not have a backup camera), but alas I think it is the fuel pump. It is dying. Noise is coming from the gas tank. The car isn't performing any different, and I would very much like to keep it that way.

Now I have to go and receive Fairfax Kia "service". Pray for me. Pray hard. :cry:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    It's difficult when your "baby" is in pain...

Nationwide Insurance commercial :)
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    The stripes are gone. Much better now. My wife thinks I think about these things too much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2013
    LOL. Now you can relax....until the next project comes to your attention. The first thing I did was tint the windows and order the factory lip spoiler.

I added the mud guards, and I recommend Lamin-X fog light protectors. They are a clear (or tinted) vinyl cover to prevent stone chips. $18, and custom cut for your car. They have a sticky backing and install in seconds.

Lastly I added a small Infinity Powered sub-woofer that only takes up 1 cubic foot of trunk space, and it really fills in the bass without booming or waking the neighborhood. It's called a Basslink. $250.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Got lip spoiler (Sport) and mud flaps, trunk mat, wheel locks, and window tint already on from the dealer. The fog light protectors seem like a good idea, we've broken one (not bothered to repair yet) on our Yukon.
    edited October 2013
    Then I bow to you good sir. Enjoy your car. The problem sometimes with a cracked fog light is water seeps in and ruins the whole assembly. I have blue tinted ones on my car...they come in yellow, smoke, light smoke, and clear.

www.lamin-x.com There is a 10% coupon code. It is a creative enigma : 10off

Post some pics! I want a look-see.
  • Yeah, I saw it for the first time about a week ago. The baby was crying next to a fire hydrant....the owners face says it all.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    As a previous nitrogen skeptic, (in the context of this chat) I found your findings fairly interesting and informing. I was of the thinking that while I had heard that it does not permeate rubber as easily as air, I sorta thought it might have fallen a little close to the category of sticker branding theft labels which I know now to be a huge and BLATANT ripoff. Sounds like the nitrogen does have some real value.
    Don't drop the ball there, Chris, tell us how that crap ruined the tire. I believe you, but am curious of the specifics.
    edited October 2013
    Ugh...there is simply NOTHING wrong with drum rear brakes on cars of this class..and even the next class up. First of all, the parking brake works so much more effectively requiring way way WAY fewer adjustments. The odds of the Mrs. driving off with it on is much reduced. They are also far far FAR more corrosion resistant friendly, altho those in VA won't have any firsthand experience realizing this so you can be excused there. Also, they last way way WAY longer! Hell, there are drum brakes on some poster's cars here on Edmunds that have gone well over 150k miles on the original shoes.

Now from a performance and more to the point..even 'racing' aspect, yes, discs get the nod. While looking at a manual wind up window stick Accent with no A/C, I just shook my head in disgust as I walked away after the salesman was touting the fact that even their base base BASE car had rear discs. It's all hoopla...like big rims. Answers to questions that no one with any sense has ever asked.

Ya..ya.. I know I'm gonna get "but" from some out there..so be it..
    The new Corolla looks nice, but breaks no new ground in styling by blacking our the front bumper to evoke the big grill look.

And Toyota foolishly allowed this car to not do well in the crash tests. Shame on them..especially since the Camry too has taken this same recent heat. Personally, I drive pretty defensively, but side crash weaknesses especially get my attention due to the very-hard-to-be-on-top-of T bone scenes..

I like the interior smell of Toyotas. I like other things too of course, but they seem to keep missing the boat...their penny counters need a cuff upside the head somewhere within the decision makers..
    edited October 2013
    After tediously dismounting and mounting my own race rubber on many a bike rim, I can tell ya from experience..not all rims come out of the factory identical in size to one next to it. There's 'loose' fit and tight fit rims. I've been unfortunate enough to get a few tight fit ones. I know this because I have changed rubber for friends with the identical bike. The idea here is that I assume a tight fit rim is going to resist bead leakage a lot better than a loose spec. I can only assume this anomaly must be present in auto rims too.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    "sticker branding theft labels"

You lost me with this term????
    edited October 2013
    I'm probably not using the right term, but it's the various branding or etching measures by various companies (specific names escape me just now but I think they all compete for top rip-off spot) that claim they can track and report parts and supposedly report findings to the cops by the serial numbers. The idea is they put these stickers on each fender, hood, trunk, etch glass etc and the so-called deterrent is that a thief will leave your car alone because it costs them too much to replace all the components that had stickers. Crap..almost thought of one of the company names..but it's just not quite there..
    The dealers pay about 30 to 40 bucks for them, then charge the customer about 250 and up, and say that it is a "non-negotiable charge that they must transfer to the buyer".

edit..altho I think I edited the wrong post before..hopefully i have the right one this time..

edit..found a link to it..this is their rebuttal. Damage control at its finest..

http://www.globali.com/rsr/RSRGlobalProtection/Response.html
    Oh, I see what you're talking about now. I thought it was numbers etched into windows and such that made it less lucrative to steal parts because it would be very difficult to remove the etchings or engravings or whatever. Never heard of just stickers being used but it is certainly possible. Couldn't a sticker just be easily removed?

Regardless, I agree that dealers charging outlandish fees for any of these add ons is ridiculous. Whether it's etchings, pinstripes, N2 in tires, wheel locks etc. I try my hardest to avoid dealers like that and if I can't I certainly let them know up front just how schlocky I think the practice is.
  • vservser Member Posts: 48
    Deep in my search of a new car, I test drove an optima today. It was the 2.0 turbo with premium and tech package. Upon first looks, the exterior was beautiful. Still saw the kia badge and wondered what I was doing there. I opened the car and sat in it. It had the cockpit feeling. It wasn't big nor too small. Just about right. I'm 5'9 200 lbs. the infotainment system was tilted towards the driver, which was a very nice touch. With my arm resting on the shifter I could reach the radio. It had an 8 inch screen too. The stereo was pretty good. IMHO it was better than the fusion and altima and killed the accord. The panoramic sunroof was also very nice. The steering wheel felt good too. A few negatives included the back seat had no head room. When I sat back there i barely had a few inches above my head. My daughter banged her head when she tried to sit in the middle. The ride was very firm to the point I felt the bumps. The steering was very tight too. There was no drifting like the Santa Fe that I tried. Other than the cramped back, lack of seat height adj for the passenger seat, and the very firm ride, I thought the interior was the best setup in all the mid-sized cars. The Infiniti stereo was the best of the bunch. So, fellow enthusiasts, what am I missing. 10 yr warranty means nothing if the car is in the shop. Most avg ppl advise to stay away from kia, but hyundai is good to go. I'm thinking I could get this car for 28 plus dest, taxes, etc. The turbo had pep, but the dealer said I could save even more by getting an ex with the same packages. Thoughts or advice appreciated.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    The Kia is the same car as the Hyundai with a different body and interior ( and perhaps suspension tuning) so it you are okay with the reliability of the Hyundai the Kia should be just as reliable, people's perceptions are lagging reality here I think. If you like it best of the bunch then you should go for it, I don't think you will have a problem reliability wise at least.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited October 2013
    >After tediously dismounting and mounting

I don't see a point of the post as a response to mine.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I don't see a point of the post as a response to mine.

I suspect the quality of the inner tire lining and the quality preparation of the rim seal area on your tires

The water vapor is credited with causing some corrosion like roughening on the bead seats that can cause leakage as the tire squirms.

The tighter the rubber bead of the tire is compressed against the form fit of the rim bead, the greater resistance to leakage. Furthermore, the lesser chance that water vapour can undermine that seal. This is a much more common issue with aluminum rims...and owners who let their tires get too low, and corner hard on roads that have been salted on a regular basis.

I would have thought this reference was obvious. Why is everyone on this board so frig touchy lately?? Sheesh..
    Oh...right..it's not lately...it's the norm.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited October 2013
    >he water vapor is credited with causing some corrosion like roughening on the bead seats that can cause leakage as the tire squirms.

Now, with that said, I see where your point is going.

> corner hard on roads that have been salted

I have read that too as a factor in corroding some rims by letting outside moisture with salts get under the edge of the bead.

>Why is everyone on this board so frig touchy

I didn't know where you were going. I thought you meant that leakage with N2 or normal air (80% N2) goes under the edge of the bead, on some rims which are not as tight as others, to a greater degree and the concept that the larger molecular size of gaseous nitrogen is not a retardant to migration through the rubber as claimed by the N2 generator (concentrator) sellers.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• I think they provide a better feel than a car with disc-drum setup, and they perform better in the wet. Also, modern stability control systems with Electronic Brake (force) Distribution (EBD) work better with disc/disc setups, especially when working in conjunction with an all wheel drive vehicle. They have faster response time and less mass so they pump faster.

Drum brakes and stick rear suspensions are cheap. That is why it is on the Corolla. However, 95% of the compact car competition uses disc/disc. Toyota is betting that they will still sell a boatload of them anyway, and they are probably right. The Corolla's reliability continues to be legendary and former owners will have no problem with the drums. The ones that do can get the S- Premium model which does have them.
  • Your post is dead on accurate. Including the suspension tuning.
    edited October 2013
    Hey vser, I dug through the Car & Driver mid-size sedan showdown from May 2012. It has the Optima vs the Sonata as part of the comparo, along with the Passat, Accord, Malibu, and the '13 Camry.

Here is the link: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2013-chevrolet-malibu-eco-vs-2012-honda-- - accord-ex-l-2012-hyundai-sonata-se-2012-kia-optima-ex-2012-toyota-camry-se-2012-- - volkswagen-passat-25-se-comparison-tests

The Optima EX came in 3rd, and the Sonata SE was 4th in this one.

I will dig a little deeper and see if I can find a "Sonoptima" Turbo vs Turbo contest.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Note that both the 'bu and the Accord were re-designed for 2013. And the Malibu again for 2014. Sonata got updates too.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    edited October 2013
    Since you mentioned the Elantra had midsize room, I thought I'd post this. My son and his friends were supposed to take a trip to Houston last weekend in a 2009 Elantra. My son, and another friend were sitting in the back seat. Half way there, the rear fender shredded the rear tire because the car was sitting too low and rubbed on the tire. If the car can easily fit two 250+ pound guys in back, plus four people's luggage in the trunk, shouldn't the suspension be able to handle it too? The trip was cancelled because they probably would have shredded another tire before they got to Houston.
    edited October 2013
    On the Optima LX and EX you get a compressor and a can of tire sealant in lieu of a spare tire. (You do get a spare on all SX models).

I had a nail in my tire about 2 months after I bought the car, so I went to get the spare out, but all I found was a fancy can of fix-a-flat and a 12 volt compressor.

The directions said to attach the tire sealant to the compressor and then turn the unit on. As it pumps up the tire it also blows in the tire sealant.

Then, you are supposed to immediately get in the car and drive it at least 5 miles to spread the sealant evenly. I even spun the tire a few times while it was on the jack.

It took less than 5 mins to put all the gear back in the trunk and I drove off to go to the Shell station for a tire plug after the 5 miles had elapsed. I made sure I kept my speed steady at 45 mph or so.

Needless to say the tire started vibrating on the way to work and later that day the dealer had to scrape all that gunk out of the tire where it had hardened all in one spot around the leak. He could not get all of it w/o scraping the rubber off itself, and said that he couldn't get the tire 100% balanced....but it did drive OK.

In the end the sealant did work, but all the damage and time was not worth the 10 pound saved by not including a spare tire. The trunk even has the Styrofoam packaging with a hole where the spare is supposed to be.

Before my next road trip that hole will be filled with a mini-spare.

My neighborhood had a rash of nails in tires and after 4 more plugs over two years I jettisoned the Nexen's before my vacation road trip. Sure enough that tire was cupped, and all of the tires were 3/4 worn after only 18k.
  • Yes, I know. The observations C/D made between the Sonata and the Optima are what I am trying to convey to vser.

C/D liked the Optima better. They liked the quality of the materials in the interior, and they liked the handling and styling.

In the end they said they prefer their Sonata in Optima clothing. They compared the Optima's lines to a Jaguar. Now, as far as room is concerned in the rear seats, I fit in the back just fine, and I am 6'2" and weigh....well a lot.
    The only seat that isn't comfortable is the middle rear "hump seat"...and we all know that seat is for a kid and for short trips only. That is true for almost all sedans. Since it is me and three kids, the middle hump is not an issue.
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    Ugh...there is simply NOTHING wrong with drum rear brakes on cars of this class..and even the next class up. First of all, the parking brake works so much more effectively requiring way way WAY fewer adjustments. The odds of the Mrs. driving off with it on is much reduced. They are also far far FAR more corrosion resistant friendly, altho those in VA won't have any firsthand experience realizing this so you can be excused there. Also, they last way way WAY longer! Hell, there are drum brakes on some poster's cars here on Edmunds that have gone well over 150k miles on the original shoes.

Drum brakes are cheap. The reason they last so long today is that they don't get used very much - most of the braking (when disc/drum) is done with the front brakes. They (rear drums) should probably last the life of your car. To actually "work", drum brakes require constant adjustment. Two ways to adjust them: 1) use a specialized tool and 2) by applying them when backing up. In the past, when parallel parking was the norm this action adjusted the drum brakes and kept them adjusted and thus working. Now that parallel parking is almost a thing of the past, once the initial adjustment wears off the drum brakes do virtually nothing.
    Modern parking brakes with rear discs are self-adjusting. On modern cars the rear brakes are actually used more than the fronts in most cases so rear drums would wear out just as fast as rear discs.

The only advantage to drums is cost.
    Don't know about you but I still have to back out of my driveway and most parking spaces at stores, restaurants, etc. I don't understand why you would say that the only time rear drum brakes get adjusted is during parallel parking??? On the other hand, I live in a suburb of Chicago and we still have plenty of of parallel parking spots in town and in neighboring towns. But I agree, they are cheaper.
    On modern cars the rear brakes are actually used more than the fronts in most cases so rear drums would wear out just as fast as rear discs.

This simply is not true at all! Not sure where you're getting that from but I suggest trying to relate to just a couple theories (there are more but 2 will suffice I hope).

Ask yourself why front brakes be they old fashioned drums or discs are ALWAYS larger on the front axle than the rear. Everything is larger, the rotors, the pads, the calipers...all because the front does the vast majority of the braking. There are many reasons for this but weight transfer is among the top...and while this is happening, the rear becomes less loaded so hence even less braking ability is available on the rear. And this now is one reason that, yes, discs on the rear can provide a bit more controllable activation so are desirable for TC on sporting/panic characteristics.

The second scenario is one you can try easily yourself by walking beside your bicycle (providing it has separate fr and rr brakes). Just walk beside it and apply the rear brake and see how easy it is to drag the back wheel. Now try the same walk-beside, but instead, apply the front brake and see how much more retardation is available.
  • The 2009 Elantra was built on the previous platform. The 2011 to 2014 Elantra is the model that was being discussed as having mid size room/interior dimensions.

The Elantra also shares it's platform with the Kia Forte'. (both current and previous models).

You should probably ask the guys on the compact car board if they have had a similar experience like the one you described. Maybe they know more about it.
    Also, many (if not most unfortunately) use a smaller diameter interior drum within the rear rotor to house a drum brake type of parking brake. The parking brake is super adjustment-sensitive and even when brand new and adjusted right, it simply can't have the holding force that a larger drum provides.

And while many will activate the rear pads through the caliper, those types are very prone to corrosion and sticking in areas where roads are salted etc...especially on cars whose owners don't always use the parking brake.

All reasons why I prefer rear drums.

(cski) As for some of the performance perks from rear discs vs drums, fact is, rear drums weigh.. if anything, a bit less than a rotor...especially the rotors that house a drum parking brake inside. Factoring in that that, combined with weight of calipers and pads vs the weight of shoes and assorted springs and levers, can sometimes weight MORE than a drum set up. This becomes an unsprung weight comparo (less is better) because less unsprung weight allows the suspension duties to perform/react not only quicker to road irregularities but do so more easily. This is for the most part (but not exclusively) a performance and racing perk. But I do agree that TC and threshold braking can be a little better controlled with rear discs...it's just that, personally, I prefer to give up those performance enhancements to have all the other benefits that mean more to me if I could have drums.

And for info...I recently had to replace rear rotors (with inside parking drums...read expensive) on my CRV. And the fronts are still original! This is certainly not the norm on most cars tho...it has more to do with Honda's known crappy brake designs on CRVs.
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Member Posts: 74
    I highly doubt drum brakes are lighter, consider all the steel in the shoes, springs and that large cast iron drum. Disc brakes dissipate heat far better and hence are less prone to fade. Also rear drum cylinders fail long before caliper cylinders on disc brakes in my experiance. Not to mention the increased labor costs (or DIY work) when needing replacement and no, they do not last "the life of a vehicle".
    If someone prefers them I say enjoy the 1940's technology. I'll take disc brakes any day, including using them on Motorcycles and Bicycles.
    edited October 2013
    For me personally I hate seeing drums through the rims on cars...the disc/disc looks (physically) better.

As far as weight is involved, rear calipers and rotors are smaller on back wheels, and the weight difference is most likely nil because of that. It depends on the car.

Having rear discs is upmarket, and drums are downmarket. That is the way it is in the industry. Whether they work any better than drum, on a middle model car like mine, is most likely negligible at reasonable (and legal) speeds. Pedal feel is better "they say", but I don't know as I have had rear disc's since 2001.

Longevity wise, my Grand Cherokee needed new rear pads at 130,000 miles, but they still passed inspection and I sold it with the original pads still on it. I informed the buyer and he said it he would do it himself. This is on a 5000 lb vehicle with 4x4. Longevity is not an issue in my experience.
    Yes, I agree on the aesthetics thing..for sure.. speaking of which...and I shouldn't go there (here) cuz it is so off topic, so don't feel you have to reply..but I absolutely abhor the round holes in steel wheels. It's becoming less of an issue as alloys are becoming more common-place, but there is something about a round hole..as in so many of them...just makes a wheel look so Mickey Mouse. I know the intention was to reduce weight originally compared to the old basic steel rim, but for the love of all that's good and decent in the world...if there must be a hole..elongate the dang thing..anyway..rant off.
    That's the way brakes used to work, but not on some (or most) modern cars. We just had the brakes replaced on the 08 Edge with 60K miles. The front brakes had plenty of pad left but the rears were shot. The tire shop that did the brakes said that was becoming much more common now where the rear brakes are doing much more of the braking than in the past and they're seeing rears wear out much faster. That's not an isolated case, either. It just has to do with the design of the braking systems and software and the advent of stability control and 4 wheel ABS.

There is no advantage to drums other than cost, and rear brakes do tend to wear faster than the fronts at least on some modern cars.
    Interesting comparo..it sounds like they rated the stock sound system fairly highly in the Optima. I think what you did with by adding the powered sub, was great idea. It'd simply allow more OEM amp watts to power more cleanly the higher frequencies when the volume is turned up. The Optima in the C&D comparo did not have an upgraded stereo did it? Not beyond say maybe just having the 6 speakers of course...not even sure if a base base Optima has only 4..

Another thing that jumped out a bit for me was their like for the seats in the Optima. I thought...cool..I guess because I love the office in an Optima. I got the impression though they preferred the lighter steering and overall handling of the Sonata better. I was shocked to read the Sonata was the second quietest in the group at speed.

From my own experiences I can concur with them on the auto in the Passat. It's a gem...the regular 6 sp auto that is..
  • I look for 3 things in rims.

1) The rim cannot be wider than the tire. This avoids "rim rash". Tires bend, aluminum does not.

2) Easy to clean: self explanatory.

3) Looks: I like "split" 5 star rims, where it is basically a 5 spoke design but with 2 fins on each main spoke. I have them on my car currently. My Jeep had 5 stars too, and were easy to clean. I clean my rims once a week, and they will still look new 10 years from now. Brake dust and dirt over time will permanently damage aluminum wheels by pitting.
    edited October 2013
    The Sonata was the only car in the comparo that came with 18" rims, and those rims were wider with stickier rubber; thus the better handling.

The Optima's sound system is good as long as you listen to digital media. Turn on an FM source though, and it sounds like "My First Radio" by Fisher Price. Horrible. Or maybe FM is just that bad in comparison. But it does have Sirius and pairing a phone is easy. I guarantee you guys you will not need the manual to set it up. Also, all the major controls are on the steering wheel...no need to reach. Use a thumb drive and you can skip the Sirius fees. I am not going to pay to listen to old Twisted Sister and Van Halen. I have over 1000 MP3's right in the USB port. My kids LOVE it.

It does not have enough bass for me....and why they didn't use the rear deck for speakers I will never understand. The SX model has a sub mounted in the center of the rear deck, thus the premium sound.

I don't know ab out you guys, but I miss the simplicity of the older 89-94 model Honda Accords. They used 6 1/2" speakers on front doors and rear decks, and took a standard DIN size stereo in the dash. You could put ANY stereo on the aftermarket in those cars, and adding a sub was Awwwwwwsummmm. Those were the good-old-days of car Audio. (for me).

Ok I am done posting today....someone else take over!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Drove the Fusion 1750 miles over the weekend, all using 93 octane fuel.
    2/3's of the trip there were 3 people in the car, the rest with 2.
    About the only difference I noticed was that it didn't downshift on some hills that it would otherwise.
    I would guess that the fuel mileage was about the same for the trip as using regular, 28.8.
    Am trying another tank of premium for my normal commute.
    Probably would not have made my goal of 500 miles on one tank, but the opportunity didn't really present itself.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in speaking with a car buyer who recently purchased a new sedan, but did not consider any of the German brands (such as Volkswagen) during the shopping process. If you can assist, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, October 23 2013.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I figured the CRV had the same type of rear brakes as the Accord, but obviously not. On my 03 Accord the emergency brakes are built into the rear calipers. I much rather rear disks in this setup. The pads are much easier to change than shoes would be, and look much better through the open wheels my Accord has. The wear is also easier to check with disk than with drums (I can actually check the rear pad wear without taking the wheels off). Also, with the advent of EBD (electronic brake-force distribution), the rear brakes do a lot more work on the 03, than they did on my old 92 Accord. Under light braking, the rear brakes do a lot of the work, which lessens nose-dive, and saves the front brakes for hard braking. This of course means that the rear pads wear much faster than they used to, but changing the pads is easy as pie compared to a drum setup. There is also no way a drum setup would weigh less than the disks, at least on my car. The last time I had a vehicle with rear drums (Toyota truck) I took the drums off to check the wear on the shoes, and they looked like they had never touched the drums at all. Why even put brakes on the rear, if they aren't going to be used? With virtually no braking power going to the rear wheels, the front brakes have to work that much harder, which means they will wear quicker. Rear disks are better, in many ways, IMO.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Your son may not be aware that the car's GVWC is posted on the door jamb. For the 2009 Elantra, it's 3752 pounds. Subtract the car's curb weight, around 2750, and that leaves ~1000 pounds for everything else including gas, people, and luggage.

With two 250+ pound guys in back, two more people in front, and luggage for all four in the trunk, it's likely your son exceeded the payload capacity of the car. Or if not, could be the weight was unevenly distributed with two big guys plus the luggage in back of the car.

Another way to look at it is, one could load a LOT of gold bouillon into a car the size of the Elantra, including in the trunk. Doesn't mean it's a good idea!
  • vservser Member Posts: 48
    As crazy as this sounds right now, the Avalon is in the mix. IMHO it has a lot of what I'm looking for. One thing tho is the extra 6k ish. But I'm thinking the residual value after 5 years will be much more than 6k. Just not sure if its too fancy for an active 40 year old.
  • The Avalon is a great car! I wish the new Impala's face could be grafted on to it, but the rest of the car is WOW!

I can guess you are not considering the Chevy, but it is a darn fine car and has been well received in the mags. With the 3.6 it makes 305 hp, and is very nice inside.

Also, good news...there is NOTHING wrong with my car. A crushed coke can got sucked off the road and jammed between the muffler and the body, causing a buzzzzzzzing noise. The mechanic came out laughing.
    So, 24,000 heavy footed miles and still zero problems with the Optima.