Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Minivans

benchbench Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Does anyone know when the 2008 minivans arrive on the scene? I'm especially interested in the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey. Will there be any changes? Comments appreciated.

Comments

• mysonsmommysonsmom Member Posts: 3
    The imports will not be offering much new in 2008 minivans. Same old stuff. I suppose they think we'll just keep buying their products and they don't even have to try to impress us anymore. It's kind of arrogant. Now on the otherhand, Chrysler and Dodge will be having completely redesigned all-new minivans ... and if you read the write up on Town and Country here on edmunds.com, they're going to be outstanding models! Even have a second-row of seats that swivel and have a table you can put in back. Chrysler keeps getting better quality wise. On the other hand Toyota, Honda and Kia keep having recalls on their products.
  • chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    Fall for new models and yes same old. Crossovers are taking command, haven't you heard? :)

The mini van is going the way of the stegosaurous and this Odyssey is the last for us that's for sure!
  • rickindallasrickindallas Member Posts: 13
    LOL at the early posts.

The 2008 Sienna and Odyssey are not due for a major overhall. 2009 for the Sienna (i think) and 2010 for the Odyssey (I'm sure).

2008 should bring small changes but not a new platform. (new tail lights, few more details but that's it)

As for timeing most come out Aug/Sept. Look for details to leak out June/July.
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    You failed to mention the DXC minivans have had transmission issues for a long time. I don't know if they'll get any better with the '08 models. The wife and I are keeping an eye on '08 minivan reviews as we would like to buy another one within 12 months.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Actually the transmission issues were due to service stations and dealers using wrong tranny fluid. Those problems are now history and shouldn't even be an issue. My 2005 has been absolutely trouble free, even towing my RV. Even the 6 spd tranny used in 08 DCX minivans should be reliable, as it's been used without issue on 07 Pacifica (same for new 4.0 engine).
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Are you living in a cave on a remote island?

DC minivans have had more reliable transmissions than the Odyssey from 1999 to the present. Just read in the Edmund's Problems Forums for both.
    Hey!!! That would make a great TV Show!!! We could call it "LOST"!!!!
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    on the issue of noise.

Also from Edmunds, '08 DGC vs Ody:

DGC:
    Db @ Idle: 44.7
    Db @ Full Throttle: 77.8
    Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 70.2

Ody:
    Db @ Idle: 44.8
    Db @ Full Throttle: 72.1
    Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 67.2

In other words---at both full throttle and at cruise, the Ody is significantly quieter than the Grand Caravan.

And on turning circle--which is particularly important to my wife, who will be using this van in many parking lots, grocery shopping, etc:

Dodge-39.1
    Honda-36.7

And did I mention it was cheaper?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, Toyota had a minor face-lift for 2006, and a new engine for 2007. I doubt there will be significant changes until the new model arrives.

The 2007s arrived in January, so don't expect 2008 models too soon.

Here's a question, though, what improvements are you looking for?

IMHO the minivan market is fairly mature, i.e. the wish list for segment leaders is established.

My Sienna has 266hp, which is enough to get me too many speeding tickets, so it certainly doesn't need more power. The 2nd row windows go down. The door tracks are nicely hidden. You can get 7 seats or 8. FWD or AWD. Magic 3rd row. SAC and VSC for safety. You can get every power option under the sun, if you're willing to pay for it.

What's missing? Honestly. :confuse:

I think the stigma that minivans carry has forced automakers to keep improving these vehicles, enough that there's not much else to do that I can think of.
  • javaminijavamini Member Posts: 1
    We are thinking about buying the Hyundai Entourage or its "sister", the Kia Sedona. Here in Canada, due to the trim levels and 0% purchase financing, the Hyundai looks like a better deal...BUT the Kia dealer claims that the Entourage will not be continued (hard to believe, since it is new for 2007). Does anyone know the scoop on this?

Many thanks!
    Baloney. Entourage is selling well, in fact it's been eating in to Sedona sales. Combined they are up 8%, but Entourage sales have basically taken away half of Kia's minivan sales.

I would avoid that Kia dealership for the simple reason that he's lying through his teeth! :mad:
  • josm100josm100 Member Posts: 30
    agreed, if you can trust him now howe can you trust him with your money? The entourage has won so many adwards and Hyundais strategy has alwas been low key, I don't see it going anywhere.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The mini van is going the way of the stegosaurous and this Odyssey is the last for us that's for sure!

Why is it your last one? You don't have the need for something so spacious, or you never did?
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    I doubt the minivan will die any day soon. It's way too practical for so many reasons. Can't beat the space and sliding doors for young families. I can see older families going to the CUV's but you still give up some room.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    What happened to VW's van based off the DCX vans? That's what VW needs.
    Well, the new Dodge arrives this fall, so we may see VW's version fairly soon.

Seems like an odd match up to me. I would have preferred to see the very cool Bus concept produced.
  • nysoccerdadnysoccerdad Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my Hundai Entourage. I like most Hyundai buyers had it down to 3 vehicles - Honda, Toyota & Hyundai.
    Personally I think all 3 are excellent cars and would be thrilled to own any of them. The Entourage in "limited" trim can be had with the entertainment package for $26k ($2500 cash back included). A similarly yequipped car from either Toyota or Honda would cost $5000 more. My choice was simple.
    The ONLY option I wish they had available would be a Navigation system. I don't know why they don't offer it in any model, it's not like it would be to difficult to source out a double Din to Pioneer, Alpine or whoever maked the Chrysler unit.
    I didn't go for the "Ultimate Package" only because the only useful thing for the extra $1800 (over the entertainment package) would be the backup alarm.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Hyundai has very likely figured out that "captive" GPS/Nav systems will soon be going the way of the Dodo bird.

Non-captives can be moved from vehicle to vehicle or in some cases even carried in my wife's purse, or incorporated into my cell phone.
    Or captive navs will drop in price, to the point you don't even think of them i.e...AM/FM radios. I will probably get nav in my next vehicle, mostly for the back up camera for hitching up my camper easily. I have a Garmin now that's nice to have, the 2-3 times/year I use it.
  • tiburonboi25tiburonboi25 Member Posts: 8
    1= Looks the most expensive
    7= Looks the cheapest

1st Honda Odyssey

2nd Hyundai Entourage

3rd Nissan Quest

Tie Toyota Sienna

Tie Kia Sedona

6th Dodge/Chrysler

7th GM Minivans
  • elieelie Member Posts: 15
    <<What's missing? Honestly. :confuse: >>

Whats missing is the option to get leather seats or even a friggin sunroof with the 8-seater. Whats up with that? Honda also gives you less options with 8 seats, but at least I can get leather and a sunroof. That's why I'm going with Honda(I hope you're reading this, Toyota)!
    #1. Sienna Limited

#2. Honda EX-L

#3. T&C Limited

#4. ALL The Rest :sick:
    I had a close up look at the new 08 Chrysler yesterday at Chrysler HQ. The exterior styling is nice, boxy....nothing exceptional, but it is a box after all. The interior looked about as cheap as my current one, no improvements, upgraded plastic or graining. Just more of the same cheapness.

I think I'm going over to GM for an Enclave or Acadia next....superior towing, similar mpg, a little less space, but great interior. I truly think the sleeping giant of GM is waking up....their interiors are world class.
    When I looked at the GM Enclave and Acadia, they looked like they have LESS interior space than the short T&C or the plain Caravan as have ALL GM minivans since the Astro/Safari were dropped.

Of course, the Astro/Safari were the ONLY minivans ever made that could tow anything of consequence without damaging the weak FWD sedan drive trains. :sick:
    Well, noone else offers 8 leather seats either.

Honda's is really just 7+1, and even saying +1 is being generous.

Also, I read that Honda uses vinyl for the 3rd row while Toyota uses leather.

Moonroof? You can go aftermarket for that. Find the local ASC certified install shop. I've done that 3 times in the past, on an '86 Sprint, a '98 Forester, and a 2002 Legacy. No problems on any of those.

In fact, you can go aftermarket for the leather, too. In fact the grade used by Katskins is far superior to any of the seats I sampled on test drives with leather (Honda, Kia).

The Hyundai Veracruz, though, has the best leather I think I've ever sample. Jaw dropping. Extremely comfy. Too bad the stuff in the vans I tested weren't even close. :sick:

That's why we went with cloth.
    I would prefer riding on the +1 seat in the Odyssey than either 2nd row seat in my 2006 Sienna. :shades:
    Honestly? That says more about you than it does about the Sienna.

Why the bias against Toyota, may I ask? :confuse:
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    If you're used to wearing thong underwear, sitting on the +1 seat (or the 2008 Highlander's similar setup) will suit you just fine!
    Too much information! :D

I don't want to picture Hans (did I spell that correctly) in a thong. :surprise:
    No bias, just stating that the 2nd row seats of the Sienna's are NOT comfortable for either me or my daughter. :sick: Neither is the front passenger seat of my 2006 Sienna LE while the front passenger seat of the Sienna CE is comfortable.

My 06 Sienna LE driver's seat is VERY comfortable as is any of the 3 seating positions on the 3rd row seat. I am also impressed with the LARGE cargo area behind the 3rd row seat of my Sienna and the OUTSTANDING fuel economy ( which is slightly better than the fuel economy of my former 2002 T&C LX with a lower powered 3.3L V6).

However, I miss the T&C separately controlled temperature for the driver and front passenger, its better trip computer, and more comfortable 2nd row seats.

There is NO such thing as THE BEST minivan since the Sienna, T&C/GC, and the Odyssey each have distinct advantages. :shades:
    Agreed (for once). We chose the best van for our needs.

Seat comfort is so subjective, plus we are all shaped differently.

The funny thing is that seat comfort was one of the reasons we chose the Sienna.

Let's just say it's important to try them out and bring the family along to get their opinions, too.
    We agree on more than we disagree.

While I was considering trading off my 2006 Sienna LE on either an 07 GC SXT or T&C Touring, I took our daughter and her 2 children to check the seat comfort. Our 12 year old grandson told me he does NOT like the 3rd row seat of the GC and T&C because there is no toe room under the 2nd row seats.

We got the 06 Sienna because the GC and T&C have cheap looking, cheap feeling door panels and we do not like the 3rd row seats. The Sienna also has a MUCH more comfortable driver's seat than the GC and T&C. Sadly, I did NOT notice the glare caused by the shiny surfaces surrounding the tachometer, speedometer, gas gauge, and engine temperature gauge nor did I notice that glare can be caused by the shiny, sloping surface on both sides of the center part of the dash. I keep a dark towel on the dash to cover these items during the time of day that the sun angle causes the glare. ;)

BTW, our 2006 Sienna got an overall average 28.0 MPG on our most recent long round trip when cruise was set 73 - 74 MPH most of the time using 87 octane gasoline. :blush:
    The dash trim is interchangeable, in fact they sell the wood trim kit if you prefer that look.

Mine is shiny silver, I guess they try to imitate aluminum. My friend has an older one that is flat black, and that's probably best to avoid glare.

His dash is also different, not luminescent but also lacking that silver circle that you find bothersome. It hasn't bothered me, though, and even my friend said he liked the new dash look better.

We got 27.6 mpg going to Six Flags yesterday. :shades:
    Did you get a chance to check out the mock-up interior on the auto show circuit?

While (another) great idea from Chrysler, I did think the leg room was a bit tight when you do face the seats. You have to zig zag legs for 4 to fit, never mind more than 4.

The side windows will go down, though, which is nice.
  • jeffkahnjeffkahn Member Posts: 7
    I recently moved to PA from CA so driving in the snow is still unfamiliar to me. My question is do you really need AWD with a minivan? I would think the weight of the minivan would be enough even without AWD or is there a noticable difference?

Appreciate any thoughts....

Thanks,
    JK
    Only if you get lots of snow. Stability control is probably fine for most people.

I can think of one other time I'd want it - pulling a boat up a wet ramp. At that angle, the weight all shifts to the rear axle, so an unloaded front axle combined with wet tires is going to create lots of wheelspin.

If you've ever seen a FWD vehicle do this, it ain't pretty. I saw a Prelude pull a twin jet ski trailer and it was plain ugly.
    There is AWD and then there is AWD....

And there is PA and then there is PA....

Suburban areas, FARM country, will be worse.

I don't know of any minivan with a truly functional AWD system when it comes to icy and packed snow roadbed conditions. And were I you I would avoid any supposed AWD derived initially from a FWD base vehicle.

I would suggest a minivan with VSC/TC/etc, and spend some time learning to drive well/cautously, on the slippery stuff. Whatever you do don't go out in that stuff unprepared.
    You'd be surprised, Toyota uses a full-time system on the Sienna.

For the RAV4 they moved to a cheaper part-time system, and that may be the fate of a future Sienna, but for now it actually uses a pretty decent system.

This is why both city and highway mileage suffer a bit, it's always engaged, so that's the trade-off.
    Yes, always engaged. ONE wheel drive with an open center differential. Uses braking to stop wheelspin slip and since that would otherwise often result in brake pad and/or rotor overheating and later warpage the engine is quickly dethrottled.

Now, try to drive out of that mud hole or up that slippery ice covered slope...

NOT...!!
    I don't believe it's open.

I think it has a viscous coupling that acts as a center diff, but that's not the same as having a wide open center diff.

So by default, at least 2 wheels are sent power, one from each axle. And that's assuming the pavement is slippery.

Info is scarce but here's a discussion on the subject:

http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=16047&hl=AWD+System

Sounds like the AWD works but people wish they could turn off VSC (you can with FWD models).

Now, try to drive out of that mud hole or up that slippery ice covered slope...

Ummm, it's a minivan, not a rock crawler. You need to adjust your expectations.

For the mud, you'd need some serious clearance, and it's not fair to expect that from a van. Driving in to a mud pit is driver error, period.

For the ice, it would all come down to the tires. I think I'd want studded snow tires for that. Remember the Audi that climbed a ski ramp? You guessed it, they used studs.
    For some reason(***) the viscous clutch, mounted "across" (basically acting as an LSD) an otherwise open center diff'l was dropped in '04 across the FWD/AWD Toyota/Lexus product line. According to what I can find out at techinfo.toyota.com it is back in the RX350 but all other models still rely only on TC braking to alleviate wheelspin/slip.

Some '08 models have the ability to turn off VSC. TC must be turned off first and only then can VSC be switched off.

You don't have to be "mudding" to encounter a slippery, muddy, roadbed. Some of us rely on AWD because our suburban environment involves traveling on gravel or even dirt roadbeds.

Personally I run on nice quiet and comfortably riding SUMMER bridgestone Turanzas ALL YEAR 'ROUND and use tirechains (rear FIRST, then..) on the rare (Seattle eastside) occassions of need.

*** My best guess is that once TC was adopted to control, alleviate, wheelspin/slip there was not enough level of F/R disparate rotational rate to "stiffen" the VC, making it virtually useless.
    In discussions on the Sienna forums, for whatever reason the conventional wisdom is that the Sienna didn't follow the rest of the lineup with that change.

Sources are scarce so it's hard to verify that.

Either way, let's remember that by default, when all four tires have traction they all get some power. It's only when one or more tires loses traction that the VC or T/C comes in to play.

Basically that means it should be less likely to slip in the first place. You're sending less power to each wheel, so it's less likely to overcome the amount of available traction.

Gravel and dirt roadbeds are more than most minivan owners will encounter. I bet most want AWD for snowy climates. The AWD Sienna is a bit more than an inch higher in terms of ground clearance vs. the FWD models, too.
    Just drove a new Buick Enclave....SWEET!!! It was sooo quiet inside! Plus it tows 4500 lbs, has AWD and almost as much space as my minivan!! I think it's time for a CUV!!
    Perhaps, but it's still gonna cost more, use more fuel, and won't quite match the total interior space.

They're nice, though.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Has anyone heard when the newly designed Chrysler minivans will be coming out? I know the official word is "Fall 2007", but that could be anywhere between September and December.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Expect them to be on dealer lots around Oct 1st.

Also, Chrysler announced a new lifetime powertrain warranty which will apply to it and most other vehicles effective today.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Warranties are a funny thing. Even a lifetime powertrain doesn't mean everything is free. You end up paying for "adjustments" and "computer recalibrations" because the only thing covered are "replacements." Then the replacement has to fall into the "powertrain" category. Then there's the deductable. Then there's the time spent going to and from the dealer and waiting and waiting. And the list goes on. Give me a reliable vehicle over a long warranty anyday!
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Are you sugesting a 2007 Chrysler minivan isn't reliable?
    Very surprising move. Cerburus comes in and probably does this to show a long-term commitment to Chrysler's survival. Pretty bold.

Hope it doesn't bankrupt them.

Great for minivan buyers, though. It should cover that transmission my neighbor keeps having to replace on his vans.

One catch is it's not transferable, and that could hurt residuals because now people would prefer new vs. used.
    I haven't seen the details of the warranty. All I have is this article.....seems like a great deal if you're someone who buys and keeps vehicles? Be great to buy a fullsize pickup, say, if you're a farmer.....and keep it forever?

Warranty
This discussion has been closed.