Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• marco25marco25 Member Posts: 2
    Sweendogy, thanks for your encouraging reply concerning the two accidents with my 2009 TL. I really do LIKE this new TL model, unfortunately I will have to replace this car soon. It's not the same after the repairs. The collision repair people literally had to cut out the entire rear bumper system and replace it along with impact bar,exhaust systems and repairs to the rear door wells. The car just isn't the same as the cabin is no longer supper quiet and it rides like a truck now. There is definitely something wrong with the suspension. The adjuster never authorized a mechanical analysis or alignment in which I requested in written documentation. I am now being told I have to take the vehicle to the Dealership for these services.

Although I used the collision repair company that is part of my Acura Dealership, be very careful with collision repair shops as they will only do what is required by the adjuster. The consumer thinks a thorough check will be completed to many other ares of the vehicle after a collision which I found not true. If it wasn't for the second accident I would have tried to settle the Diminished Value of this auto and replace this wounded TL with a new one this 4th of July weekend.

Speaking of Diminished Value, the car was 12 months and 10 days old with 11,859 miles on the day of the first accident. Do any of you have experience with how Diminished Value is determined and what to watch out for with these tricky insurance people?

Things happen for a reason so maybe its time for me to step up from the Base Model to the TL SH-AWD 2010.
  • marcus216marcus216 Member Posts: 78
    Just hit the 2,000 mark in my new TL SH-AWD. Overall impressions:
    1. Excellent power. No problem merging on crowded freeways
    2. Handles quite well. I do think the suspension is a bit stiff for my taste, but in no way is it harsh. We have very bumpy roads here in Northeast Ohio and you do feel bad pavement to some extent.
    3. Very comfortable seating, both front and rear. Much better than competing models I shopped.
    4. Looks that draw gazes. I love the sleek unusual look even though it did take some getting used to. Have put 4 coats of Zaino on and the car just shines.
    5. Gas mileage is decent so far, will probably improve a bit over time. Getting about 19.5 miles per gallon in 50-50 city/interstate driving
    6. Transmission can be a bit jerky, especially when starting from a near stop, but I have learned to control that.
    7. I don't care for the stock Michelin Pilot tires. The treadware is only 300 which means that they will wear out quickly. Also, they are not good in Winter weather compared to other M+S tires. I realize they are there for the handling aspect of the car, but I would rather have better tread life and Winter handling vs better skidpad numbers. We will see how they are next winter. I will consider replacing if winter traction sucks.
    8. Seat heater buttons are very easy to accidently turn on. Not a big deal, but a minor inconvenience.

Overall, I am quite pleased with the car. I think I made the right choice for my needs. No car is perfect, including the TL, but it is a fine automobile and a very reasonable price.
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Member Posts: 106
    great report. Mine has 4300 miles, 2010 SH-AWD... If this is like my wife 2009 TSX, the suspension will soften out over time as it breaks in, my wife TSX sure has after 17,000 miles. Recent trip from San Diego to las Vegas showed an average speed of 64 MPH and I got 25.6 MPG on the trip, so that is good... Do watch your Oil Consumption. Some recent reports of oil usage during the first 4-5K miles as the rings break in. I used 1/2 Qt after 4K miles. I agree with the seat heater switches.. Never heard of Zaino, but I will check it out, I have several coats of wax so i am Ok for now. :)
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I guess I am not driving mine as much as you guys are. I bought mine last August and I have approximately 5K miles on it-well I guess I need to take it out more often.
    Without a doubt, Zaino is the best polymer out there for car care. I got introduced to it back in 2000 and I have never gone back to the over the counter waxes.
    I got to admit, it looks better on my wife's Carbon Grey Pearl than on my White Diamond Pearl-overall, good stuff and it last for a season.
    Does ZAINO give your car that Glass Finish Look? Something you see on cars at antique car shows where the paint looks like it is under a inch of Glass! :confuse:
    Thanks for the alert about possible oil usage. I will keep an eye on it. Does the TL let you know if the oil level is low or do you need to do it the old fashioned way under the hood? Some cars will alert you to low oil level.

I would definitely recommend Zaino. http://www.zainostore.com/
    Not a wax but a polymer and you can layer it. With normal wax, you take off the old layer when you put a new layer on. The more layers you put on, the better the shine. You can't believe how it shines! I have used it for about 10 years.
    It sure does the only drawback is the work involved- thank God I only do it twice per year. You can go to their web-site for the relevant information. If you are still not sure what to do I will assist.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Been away for a little bit. Thought I'd throw this review link out there....

http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-50089749.html

If you wanna skip to the end, the reviewer states....

"I don't normally gush. But this is the best driving car we've had in our garage in the last handfull of years."

Strong praise, cause I've seen cnet's reviews.....and they review some very nice cars.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Thank You, something us owners already know.. If the word gets out, folks will FLOCK into the showroom and good buy good deals for those who don't own one yet... Automobile Magazine has a comparison between the SH-AWD and the Audi A4S. The Acura holds its own and beats it in many areas all at $13,000 less...
    rlonn...I see the trade rags, and internet review sites constantly compare the TL against the next step up the price ladder (i.e. BMW 5, Audi S/A6, etc). Clearly, the TL generally is the size and matches the performance of something like a 5 series or an A6, with the price of an A4 (certainly less than a loaded up 3 series).

There are two guys who actually traded in their TLs for a 5 series (550i), and an Infiniti M (the new one) and do a nice compare and contrast. They're in the Acura forums on another site. That they'd compare their former TL to their current $75K car (550i) or $52K+ car (M37) is a testament to the TL. Actually, the guy who just bought the new M37 feels his former TL was more solid, had better reflexes, and certainly better features. Doesn't mean the M is bad, just that the TL is that good.
    Just about everything you could possibly want to know about the TL.....

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2010-acura-tl-ar80141.html
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Autoblog leaked what looks like the early 2012 MMC changes coming to the TL in April of 2011. The TL is going to get a front and rear facelift and hopefully some package changes and feature additions. It looks like the grill is going to be changed to what is going to be on the new TSX wagon!

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-shots-2011-acura-tl/#3157519

They say its the 2011 TL but most of us on acurazine believe its really the 2012 refreshing that was pushed up 6 months to debut in April of 2011.
    I don't see much change to tell you the truth... The overall basic design remains the same, I am glad of that as I am one who likes this design..
    smarty...I'm with rlonn...hard to see any difference. Maybe under the front cover there's something different. Side and rear look the same.

If they were going to make a change, I would think they'd go to the midnight chrome grill and tail piece as standard since it's proving to be so popular.

I don't want any major changes myself.
    "I don't want any major changes myself."

Why? Do you feel your model will become dated.:)
    Well have no fear, even if they do come out with 20" wheels, Power Rear Shade, Octogon Exhast etc etc etc, you model will still standout.

I was just admiring mine yesterday- I was parked by the Post Office and I was coming out of the building down the stairs I saw my TL across the street.
    I said WOW, now thats a standout.
    billy...if Acura wants to change the TL, that's their prerogative. Personally, I like mine. I think the styling looks very masculine and edgy....again, two things I like.
    What I would expect for 2011 is things that are easy to do from Hondas point of view. It would be easy to upgrade the traffic and Weather graphics. I have been in cars that when you have XM weather displayed, the graphics look real cool plus has more details. This is basically a software upgrade, might need some extra memory but most likely all software...

LISTEN UP HONDA AMERICA!! I have a iPhone and a iTouch, and Apple just gave us new upgrades for FREE! Would it not be nice to offer a Navigation upgrade of some sort for Free, or a nominal charge. Unlike the wife TSX that you can upgrade with a new disk, however that is just map information.

The TL has a chance to excel in the area of graphics.. Possible they will offer a 3D view of the road map? Might tweak the engine for say 10 more HP? Go from 19" wheels to 20"? Again, the TL have been discounted up to $6K already due to slow sales, so they are not going to do anything that will substantially raise the price of the car. Other then R&D time, software tweeks are easy to do..

BTW, when I was searching for a resturant in San Diego that has been in the same spot for 15 years, it did not find it? My nav in the TSX did and my sprint Balckberry and Garmin GSP found it, but just missing from the TL? Anyone else seen this type of behavior? I manually stored it, but something seems out of order.
    rlonn....no pun intended, but NAV system functionality are really all over the map.

I know I had one on my former Tahoe that was woeful. My son has the NAV in the current gen Accord....it's way slower and has worse voice recognition than my TLs.

Weather isn't that big of a deal to me. I can see the weather outside the windshield. Traffic? I'd like better traffic on the NAV, but am uncertain whether that's an XM issue or an Acura issue.

I have no problems with the way the NAV works or the view. It gives me the info I'm looking for in an easy to understand manner.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    The TL has a chance to excel in the area of graphics.. Possible they will offer a 3D view of the road map?

Are you saying the map in TL's Nav system is 2D only? :surprise:
    edited July 2010
    Guys, take an easy, I didn't say the TL was being radically changed. Its called a mid-life refreshing for a reason. The grill is definitely changed and the tailights I think are in a different pattern but the overall shape and size is going to remain the same.

Can probably expect some color changes and maybe a package or two being changed around.

Most what you would expect for a refreshing. You guys are thinking of a redesign! You'll have to wait for the 2014 TL for that!
    jtla....you can zoom in and zoom out, vertically, or horizontally oriented, even change perspective (north up, or direction up). No 3d buildings, which I didn't care about anyway. Just get me there and back.

You look at something like the Ford NAV (the one in the SHO is what I've experienced) has the graphic buildings. TL won't do that. In the end, I just need to get to an address or POI. The TL does that well. And, it probably has the best voice recognition of any system I've ever encountered.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    I am not sure what you meant by "zoom in and zoom out, vertically, or horizontally oriented". If vertically, wouldn't that be 3D map? I did not pay attention to GPS when I did the test drive. I will probably go to a dealer to check it out this weekend.

I can't care less about 3D building, either. But 3D map (aka birdview map) is quite basic for GPS system. Most, if not all, portable units such as Garmin, Magellan, TomTom all have it. I like 3D map because it kind simulate the view looking out windshield so it is easier to follow.
    Weather is important to us here in San Diego. We need to know when the temperature drops below 70 degrees so we can run home and turn on our heat! ;)
    rlonn...San Diego is one of my favorite cities. Traffic is much more useful to me than weather. But, the NAV does both. Plus, you can use while on the move.,...another plus.
    Except for the taillights, I don't think much is changing on the rear, but there is talk that they might be putting the 6spd auto in, like the one in the ZDX and MDX, so here is hoping they do that. If not, then you'll have to wait for the 5G to get the 6spd auto!
    Acura is typically really closed lipped about changes to upcoming models. If they go by their normal schedule, I expect a refreshening for the 2012 MY. Probably some minor tweaks here and there until then. That's just a guess, though.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    edited July 2010
    This may be an old topic on this thread, but I'm just now looking at possibly buying a 2010 TL. There are several companies offering an after-market grill, a kind of silvery mesh look, and I'm wondering if any of you have done that and if you were happy with it.

The present grill is not my favorite thing about the car, but I think I'm getting used to it as I see more of them on the road. Still, I might opt for a grill change, or just wait until the 2012 refresh and see what they do with it. The one that caught my eye is a kind of gray (Giagori, or something like that) with a taupe interior, just the base model. Haven't driven one yet, but they look impressive.
    edited July 2010
    Welcome to the forum austin.

There are a couple of different ways you can go. Acura makes a midnight chrome grill and tail piece combined that looks very sharp. It's not a bright chrome, but has a dark "tinge" to it. It's "shinier" than the standard brushed aluminum grill. I actually have the midnight chrome grill on my White Diamond Pearl TL, I liked the look so much.

There's another aftermarket grill called "ron-jon". Not bad looking. It's just that I think it makes the TL look like a run of the mill Accord. Check out their web site and make your own decision.

Some people actually painted their grill the same color as the rest of their car. Again, this is all personal opinion, but to me that makes the car look a lot cheaper to my eyes. Again, some like that look, though.

I have Taupe interior. I wanted to break up the normal look of all black. I like it. Umber would be another color to look at, if you can find a TL with the umber interior.

Only exterior color I can think of that's close would be "Grigio", maybe?

The proof is in the driving. Take a base model for a test drive, then take a SH AWD for a test drive. Also, test drive one with the "tech" package. Test drives don't cost anything. See what you think.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out in your search.
    I looked at these after market grills and feel it tones down the front way to much and makes it look ordinary in appearance. I think if they tone down the 2011 or 2012 grill, depending on how it looks , might be a nice replacement... I never liked what honda did with the Pilot Grill, so I left my 2005 Alone and still think it looks better than the large square grill on the 2007-2008 Pilot...

Drove the SH-AWD into the mountains of San Diego yesterday, wet roads due to some rain, and it is just like driving a car on TRACKS!!
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    Thanks very much for that informative reply. I looked at the midnight chrome grille on Acura's accessories list that you're using -- looks very nice. Also checked out the Ron Jon grille -- thanks for the idea. Not sure what, if anything, I would do at this point. I just feel the standard grille is a little too in-your-face for my taste, but it's a subjective thing. Might just get used to it. I'm okay with the rear end, and feel the rest of the design, inside and out, is very sharp.

Yes, Grigio is the exterior color I meant -- should have checked that before posting. For the interior, my dealership has TLs with parchment, taupe, and ebony, but I haven't seen an umber.

I'll let you know my test drive impressions and buying decision. I've been in the Honda family for years, but never had an Acura. I'm driving a very nice 07 Accord SE V6 right now. My only reason to trade would be for the level of luxury a TL offers.
    Agree.
    I have my new TL SH-AWD now for about 2 months and I have enjoyed it and am happy with my decision. I, too, was a bit put off by the front grill and that was the cause of my initial hesitation to lease the car. The more I looked at it, the less offensive it became, but I got the silver exterior and the grill blends in more with that color than the other exterior colors. A friend of mine has a black 2010 TL and the contrast with the grill makes it stand out much more than exterior silver.
    austin...you're welcome. Hope you find what you're looking for. I believe you'll really enjoy your test drives.

If Acura goes the way they have in the past, I would expect a refreshening for model year 2012.

I don't see any changes in styling, as it's been adapted across their entire lineup. They'd have to dramatically change styling direction across all their models.

I know I've seen people who have chastised Acura (and all of Honda) for being too conservative in styling. Now, they've become more aggressive. I like the new look. I like it better than my former '04 TL. Many don't.

I suppose that proves that no manufacturer can please everyone all the time.
    I also got the Palladium Metallic not only did I feel it was the most eye pleasing color, but as you stated it also allowed the front and rear aluminum accents blend in with the car..
    San Diego is a fun City to drive a car. We have the Ocean, Mountains and the Deserts. I was in the Mountains on Sunday and the Ocean is our Friday destination... With SH-AWD mountain road driving is the most fun, but to get to the desert in the spring time to look at the blooming desert flowers, you have to drive over the mountains! Takes about 90 minutes... :)
    rlonn...I love driving in and around San Diego. Weather is easy to take there, too.

While the OH valley (Cincinnati to be exact), is filled with hills that are beautiful in the fall, and this time of year, we have hills that are fun to drive in, where you have mountains.

Either way, the TL is a great drive with the perfect blend of ride and handling for my tastes. I recounted several weeks ago, I took a road trip from my home to the Amish country about 2 hours away. Again, a beautiful drive. A 3 year old (2 year old?) Infiniti G coupe wanted to "play". Because most of the roads were two lanes with plenty of sharp turns, we spent about 30-45 minutes swapping the lead with each other. Finally, the G gave up.

Fun while it lasted, though.
    edited July 2010
    I might have posted this before but my interest got stirred up again.

Can anyone direct me how and where I can get the brightwhite bulbs for the DRL and Fog lights? I want to swap out the archiac yellow lights.
    I saw a 2009 TL in some picture with this set up and it looks REALLY nice.
    Probably head over to your nearest auto parts store and ask them which bulbs would work in your TL. Maybe even ask your Acura service dept which bulbs would work.
    thanks- I saw you on that other acura site/forum-those owners are really hardcore.
    billy....yeah...there isn't anyone over there who doesn't have a strong opinion (including me) ;)
    One thing I did on my TL was, I got some nice white LEDs from vleds and replaced my trunk and rear lic plate halogen bulbs with them. Man did they make a difference, especially the ones for the rear lic plate light. They look just like the ones that Lexus, BMW, and MB are doing standard now on all their vehicles and it only cost me like 13 bucks to do myself.

To bad Acura can't start doing this standard, it would be really sweet but until they do, I don't mind spending 13 bucks to do it myself! I've had the bulbs in for about 8 months now and still going strong!
    Do you know the Part Number for the V-Leds bulb you used in the rear license plate. Thanks
    Smarty, are you kidding me? I wanted to do that too but my service manager told me that the bulbs were already hologen and the lens covering them made them appear yellow.Gullible me, I believed him, can you send me the website and part number, I will install myself.
    edited July 2010
    well I have a 3G TL so I can only speak for the 04-08 models, don't know if the 4G would have a yellow covering to it but it sounds like BS to me. There are two different ones you can get, either the 2 (5K) 194 168 158 that has the single LED on it or the 2 (5K) 194 168 158 2821 with the 5 LEDs on it (its the fifth and seventh ones from the bottom of the page). Either one will get the job done nicely. I have the single LED ones on one car and the 5 LEDs on another and they both seem to give the same illumination so either one will work!

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/License-Plate-LED/sc131088//page/1/checkForLa- - nding/true

Just make sure you get the 5K ones and not the 6K b/c the 6K have a blueish tint to them and it won't be clear white like the 5K, unless you want the blue tint then you can do that one, I personally wanted the white clear type!

Keep in mind they are going to be a little bit brighter than the DIM LED crap BMW, Lexus, and MB are putting in OEM but I personally think it makes it stand out better, plus it gives you a little more light back there when backing up at night and if you have the tech pack with rear camera, should help give a little bit more illumination!
    Smarty,thanks in a million- I saw it on the GS and it looks real nice.
    I just have one more question and I will be done-
    If I was to swap out the DRL and the Fog Lights, which ones should I order from this site?
    Thank you.

PS- I do have the Tech Package.
    I wish I could help you on that one man but I didn't do anything with the DRLs or Fog lights! That is a whole different animal with many more things that could go wrong. Just my opinion.

But if you still want to do that, you need to check the bulb number in the owners manual and then use that to look up on vleds what bulb is right for you. I'd just be a little careful with putting LEDs in the foglights and/or DRLs b/c I know they are much more sensitive to heat and things like that and you don't want to go burning out or meltings the housing!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Suggest that Acura fans check out the "Where Is Honda Taking Acura" discussion in News & Views. We're the original owners of a '99 TL (2nd generation), and have been very happy with it, but we wouldn't consider the lastest generation TL. It's too large and heavy, and we don't like Acura's current styling direction.

Would consider a TSX, but the foot space for entering the back seat (between the bottom of the rear door and the bottom of the rear seat cushion) is unusually tight. I think it's a design flaw. Has anyone else noticed this?

The rear seat of a mid size car should provide easy access, but the one in the TSX isn't designed for average size adults, much less taller ones.

Acura needs to get its mojo back. Its sedans used to be innovative, fun-to-drive, and excellent values. The new ones are unremarkable, as reflected in the absence of new messages in the "Where Is Honda Taking Acura" site. It seems to me that fewer people will cross-shop Acura sedans if things don't change. Look what happened to the Maxima, a once hot car.

I don't think expanding the hybrid line will do the trick, because while hybrids are interesting, they're unexciting, and for most drivers they don't make economic sense.
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    I replaced mine too for both my 07' TLS and 10' TSX. I got them on E-bay and did it myself 2 years ago. The TLS was a little more complicated to change out than my TSX. They are the bright white LEDs. They look better than the Lexus bulbs. The company was i-JDM Toy I think. They are all made in Japan. I only had to replace my TLS bulbs once. They don't last as long as the conventional bulbs. Before they go they will "flicker."
    Acura does not want to go the way of Impala, Pontiac, and many other cars who never evolved their car line to the next level. GM got into trouble because once a Car Rental Company, always a car rental company.

All you have to do is go to any car show and see all the Future Car prototypes. Think what an Acura needs to look like to be considered Modern in 2015, or 2020. What you are saying is that as long as it looks like a 2nd or 3rd generation TL it will be Cool Looking.

If the 2010 TL looked like a 2008 TL, I would have never purchased the car, as the 2008 looks like a very outdated style in comparison to most new cars today. Even BUICK has modernized its style and that is what Acura is trying to do.. I never understand people who talk about the TL is to big?? OK, get a TSX, to big, go get a Mini Cooper. I find the TL the right size where the Ford Torus was way to big mostly due to viability problems and the high rear trunk lid, plus it is still a Torus.

Acura is looking for its next generation customers. Many will be older TL owners upgrading and getting a fresh new look and lots of new SH-AWD features. Some will come over from other car companies for the great value Acura has to offer in its line of cars.

Acura Sales continue to be Strong. Yes incentives help as with all car companies, but they continue to make around 8,000 TL each year in Ohio, that is not bad for a $43K car.

I am still looking for someone to say they don't like my TL. I work along with 3,000 other people and a lot of folks walk past my car every day in the parking lot. I have taken about 13 folks for a ride, lifted up the hood about 25 times. WOW is not an uncommon word from these people.

I feel like my TL will hold its WOW factor for at least 5 to 8 years in the area of style as the 2008 TL will fade out fast due to an outdated style. Several people at work had older TL's and I remember 3 or 4 years ago just walking past the TL as my eyes focused in on the new BMW and G35 to name a few.

Now the eyes are on Mt TL, not those OTHER CARS in the parking lot! This is My Story and I am sticking to it! :):)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    You make some good points. For example, it's true that if Acura had continued with its previous generation TL design, sales would have declined. However, while I thought the '99-'03 and '04-'08 designs were very appealing, I can't say the same for the appearance of the '09-'10 models. Taste is a personal thing. The fact that Acura sells around 8,000 TLs per year suggests that thousands of people agree with you rather than with me. Judging by the comments in the TL board, though, a lot of people seem to agree with me too. What this may suggest is that the current TL is more polarizing than previous generations. Although I don't have the sales number for the last 10 years handy, I've read that the TL and TSX are losing market share, and the RL is doing much worse. I don't know about the SUVs and crossovers because I'm not interested in these. They have a place, but not for me at this time.

To my eyes, I think the Audi A4 and A6 and the Mercedes C and E Class are the style leaders in their respective market segments. That said, Acura has these models beat in terms of reliability and cost of ownership. I guess you can't have everything.

I agree with your comments about GM, but Chevy, Buick and Cadillac seem to have finally learned - finally! - from their past mistakes, and are moving in the right direction. The same can be said for Ford. As for Chrysler, it's too early to tell.