Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier Maintenance and Repair

donkeypunch3donkeypunch3 Member Posts: 1
Looking to find the oil pan on my 03 cavalier. I know this sounds stupid, however, I can't locate it. All I can see is what looks to be a cast iron trany plug. It's an ECO engine also. Any help would be great.

thx

Comments

• chevycavdoodchevycavdood Member Posts: 4
    my cousin took my car and decided to do doughnuts in a parking lot. now when i drive, it seems like the power steering pump is only working when i gas it. if i am at a stop or slowing, it becomes extremely hard to turn. it is very difficult in parking lots because the wheel almost doesnt turn at all. he says it is not the pump at all, but when you try to turn it, you can hear the pump making noises, it sounds like a loud moan. can anyone tell me whats wrong, or confirm that it is the pump?
  • rtelescopingrtelescoping Member Posts: 1
    I have a Cavalier w/ 120K miles on it and I was wondering what type of maintenance I should be doing to it to keep it up. I have been told that on many imports you have to change the timing belt and I was wondering if this was the case for the Cavalier.

Any other tips would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks in advance............
  • matt55matt55 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 cavalier z24 last year it would start but stall right away its a 5 speed.i figured it could be the fuel filter or fuel pump...both work fine. i have an alarm on ti but doubt that the problem also have door poppers. about a week ago i boosted it and it started and i drove it but after about 20 min then stalled ago and wouldnt turn over unless i gave it a boost...im working with the alternator right now but im stumped.If any oone has had the same problem opr have any ideas can you let me know...thanks
  • lloyd8lloyd8 Member Posts: 1
    if anyone knows the answer to this question please e-mail me back and let me know..... my friend has a 98 cavalier with a 2.2 liter engine automatic and says that she did 120mph the other day..... but wouldnt it shut off at like 105 or somethin i mean most 2.2 liters i haveseen shut off at about 105 or so.... if you can help me please let e know it would be greatly appreciated
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    My daughter has an '02 Cavalier. She drops by whenever she needs the oil changed. I don't mind it since I figure at least I know it's being done every 3,000 miles and will save an expensive engine repair - probably one that I'd have to pay for.

Anyhow, has anyone figured out a simple way to replace the oil filter without having to remove the right front wheel each time? That gets to be a pain in the neck, although I guess it's a great opportunity to inspect the brake pads.
  • tryngfixittryngfixit Member Posts: 2
    I live in Chile and I want to know who can help me with parts to fix my cavalier. I know, is dificult, but I want to try it.
    I bough my car, was collided, but I liked, still I can drive it, but I need to fix it with some details, so that because I want it back, like a new it , the problems are: bumper, the place where it keep the suitcase, the lock, mirrors, seats. Someone can help me
  • momo6momo6 Member Posts: 1
    HI, did you get ananswer about the maintenance which should be done?
  • slotheeohslotheeoh Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I know I should be able to find this info somewhere, but I have had no luck so far. My wife and I want to move from LV, NV to Atlanta starting 12/21/07. We want to rent the smallest UHAUL trailer and tow our belongings (a nice HD Flat screen TV, a Queen-size bed, a Weber Grill and a bunch of books and sundries.) According to the UHAUL site, this trailer fits the deal:

Previous model available in some areas.
    Capacity

* Volume: up to 142 cu. ft.
    * Max load: 1,650 lbs.
    * Gross vehicle weight: 2,500 lbs. max
    * Empty weight: 850 lbs.

Dimensions

* Inside dimensions: 8'1" x 4'1" x 4' (LxWxH)
    * Door opening: 3'1" x 3'5" (WxH)

Features

* Lowest deck
    * Softest ride
    * Padded rub rails
    * Radial tires

Recommended moving items

* 5' x 5' x 8' storage room
    * 15 boxes
    * 1 roll of tape
    * 1 dozen furniture pads
    * 1 rope
    * 1 lock

Advisements
    Your towing vehicle:

* Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
    * Must weigh at least 2,000 lbs. (curb weight)
    * Must have Class 1 tow hitch (2,000 lb. minimum weight-carrying rating)
    * Must have 1-7/8", 2" or 2-1/8" hitch ball (2,000 lbs. minimum)
    * Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
    * Must have external mirrors on both sides
    * Must have fully operational lighting
    * Trailer lighting must be operational at all times, day and night
    * Maximum recommended speed is 45 MPH

It seems that all this is possible, provided I install the Class I hitch. Does anyone have manufacturer specs or any tips on how to manage this with as little cost and as little wear on the Chevy as possible? It has 75k miles on it and is in EXCELLENT condition.

Any and all comments are appreciated.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Here is what the 2000 Cavalier owners manual states.

Recommend for towing .

Models with 2.4L L4 Engine, 4 speed Automatic Transaxle.

Do not tow a trailer if your vehicle is :
    - a convertible
    -equipped with a 2.2L L4 [code 4] engine or
    -equipped with a manual transaxle or a three-speed automatic transaxle
    Of course what you do is your business.
  • djpizzarelladjpizzarella Member Posts: 2
    In my 02 Chevy Cavalier a few times the speedometer works fine and sometimes it says I am going 30 mph when i am not is it the speedometer or the connection in the back of it?
  • tryngfixittryngfixit Member Posts: 2
    hello, I m sorry , I was out long time.
    no answers for now.

thanks you
  • destinylostdestinylost Member Posts: 2
    I have a 5 speed '02 Chevy Cavalier Z24 and I've had some problems with it recently. This morning I was driving on the interstate and you could hear it clicking, I assume from the engine. As soon as i got off the interstate, it basically decided it wasn't going to run anymore. It kept going, but it took a lot of effort just to get it to go, and i had the gas pedal all the way to the floor. I could also feel the clutch shake with every click the engine had. I know that I am a little overdue for an oil change, but not by too much. My mom has an '04 with a different engine in it and she had to put a new one in her car already, according to her my car is making the same noise as hers did. And I am really hoping that's not the case with mine. Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • enigmajcenigmajc Member Posts: 11
    Hi gang,
    My fiancee wants to change out the spark plugs in his 2003 Chevy Cavalier but he can't find them. He said he followed the ignition wires but they weren't there. Can anyone describe where they are located?
    Thanks!!!
  • slackermanslackerman Member Posts: 43
    If he can't find the spark plugs, he shouldn't change the spark plugs.

Anyway, they're under the big silver cover that says 2.4L, located very far under the ignition coil. You'll need a few special tools to get in there. But since spark plugs only need to be changed every 100,000 miles these problems usually aren't a big deal.
  • enigmajcenigmajc Member Posts: 11
    Thanks. He found them. Hadn't seen coil packs before.
  • rangerx34rangerx34 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me the journal size and oil clearance to rod bearings on a 1988 chevy cavalier 2.0 litre
  • jbleekjbleek Member Posts: 2
    I have the same car, its a small(ish) (9/16ths?) bolt that comes out and is near the back of the engine (on bottom of course) and in/near middle. It does not stick out as obviously the oil drain but is. Havent changed my own oil for about a 1yr since I moved - so thats why I'm a little vague with my memory.
  • izziinkizziink Member Posts: 1
    Please, if u are told that a rear main gasket is leaking, have it fixed. I own a '04 Chevy Cavalier, and did not check my oil level in weeks, i went on a 500 mile trip and on my return home felt the car start to lose power. I pulled over and checked the oil and noticed that the oil level was on empty. I replaced the oil and all sounded good. A few miles down the road the car started knocking smoking and lost power. I had to have my car towed into the next town, pay for a car dolly to haul it back home. I am know with out a ride. Please have the rear main inspected and gasket replaced if leaking. :sick: Where would i take my care to be fixed in North richland hills, Tx?
  • slackermanslackerman Member Posts: 43
    Try:
    asashop.org
  • shrea18shrea18 Member Posts: 2
    2000 chevy cavalier 2.2 lt engine. Grrr the coolant lite is on but the temp remains fine. I have replaced the thermostat, radiator, water pump... there is a big leak but idk from where. the reservoir where you fill the coolant is on the left along with the water Pump and the thermostat is middle left. the leak however is on the rite and i think but i am not sure towards the middle back. i think it may be from a leaky hose or is there another reservoir on the other side idk about??? any suggestions??? thanx for the help
  • sully17sully17 Member Posts: 1
    Had that happen with my 03 cav a few times, seems to be from sitting in the sun for too long, getting too hot. Disconnecting the battery, (just disconnect the negative terminal) for a few seconds and reconnect fixed the problem both times
  • exarkunivexarkuniv Member Posts: 2
  • exarkunivexarkuniv Member Posts: 2
    Hi all

i have a 2000 cavalier 2.4 with 161000 miles

and i have been seeing it slowly overheating a little it ran for 8 years at 190 and never moving now it runs at 195 and when you stop you see it move to 200 or 205 ( i guessing what the temp is by counting the marks).

i know it is not a big deal i just don't trust it. there is no reason for it to just move now and nothing causing it, there's something going on.

it has never been flushed ever or the dex cool never replaced i did have to drian to replace the thermostat so i add some to it for that.

i think its time to have it flushed and replace the thermostat again ( it been a few years for that one).

what all you think? i just want to get ahead of this one before something goes boom

thanks for any help.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The "book" doesn't mention removing the front wheel for either engine---perhaps they are assuming you are on a lift.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Check the basic stuff. For example, is the fan working? Are you losing coolant? Is there any evidence of coolant leaking into the oil? Good luck.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I Just bought an 04 Cavalier with 85,000 miles for my son. the lady who owned had the oil changed regularly and replaced the brakes and tire other than that its all original. I know if I take it to my mechanic he will have a field day with timing belt, hoses, radiator flushes, tranny flush etc... What do you guys think needs to get replaced on this car to avoid future break downs?
    Well you could find out how old the battery is. If it's the original, definitely replace that.

Most breakdowns are fairly simple things, like belts, hoses, tires, coolant leaks, oil leaks....so I'd check all those things.

Also figure out if it uses oil or not, and if it does, the lad has to be really on top of that.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Mr Shiftright:
    Yep I found a receipt for a battery also. I do not want this car to break down on my boy so do you think its time to replace all the wear parts like belt hoses spark plug wires etc.... Or do think if it aint broke don't fix it?
  • sharpndsharpnd Member Posts: 2
  • sharpndsharpnd Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport. I just recently had everything checked and a few things replaced. The front brakes replaced (brake masters), new tires put on, and just yesterday I paid a mechanic to replace the two front Window motors in both doors (performed at my home). My car was finally running in tip-top shape, or so I thought. After trying to start my car in the garage today, it started acting funny; I’ll do my best to explain:

1. Car started but couldn’t shift into reverse to back-out. Turned off the car. Tried to turn back on, it *begins* to start and then dies. It was continually doing this.

2. Checked battery and all connections, seemed fine. Went to start car and it was doing the same thing as mentioned above (would almost start and then just die).

3. After trying a few more times, I got the car to start. However, all gauges acted as if the car was off. RPM showed 0, speedometer (even when moving) showed zero, temperature 0, gas 0. The car would drive fine though (only took it out of the driveway and back in). I also noticed the custom CD deck that was put in wouldn’t turn on. It was acting as if the car was off. I also just tried turning on the car with just the battery - the stereo system still acted as if the car was off.

4. I turned off the car and the process repeated where it kept shutting off when trying to start it. I got it to turn on a few more times, but it took awhile – and still did the same things mentioned as above.

That's where I'm at, and I'm pretty clueless. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thank you for your time!
    Spark plug wires and tune-up parts for sure if it hasn't been done. As for belts and hoses, a careful inspection of same would be in order. Probably the struts are worn out but this is not something that will cause the car to break down. Gotta check for oil and coolant leaks by lifting the car.

I'd also check all the fluids and if they are dirty, flush 'em. For instance, if you have murky, dark brake fluid, change that. And the coolant should look clean.
  • momtiwns5momtiwns5 Member Posts: 2
    My daughter's 2002 cavalier has about 84000 miles and one night when she was driving the car shut off and the check engine and oil lights came on. She took it to shop and they said that was too vague to figure out what was wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the problem.
  • momtiwns5momtiwns5 Member Posts: 2
  • eveleyez88eveleyez88 Member Posts: 1
    sounds to me like the throttle positioning sensor needs to be replaced. I went through that about a year ago in my 2001 cavalier. its a small sensor on the back of the engine, very easy to access. wont even cost $30 to fix.
  • quiet1pquiet1p Member Posts: 2
  • quiet1pquiet1p Member Posts: 2
    My daughter drove her car yesterday,. It was fine.. Last night she went to go to the store.. put key in and it wont turn the ignition even to the acc. The steering wheel is locked.. its in park.. we tried everything to get it to turn the slighest bit.. Please help if you can... Thanks in advance!!!!
  • destinylostdestinylost Member Posts: 2
  • 1moore4u1moore4u Member Posts: 1
    vehicle stalling intermittenly. Any suggestions
  • chasetheacechasetheace Member Posts: 1
    it could be a the transmission coolent lines, the come off the tranny and go into the bottom of the rad and top of the ride...under the car black lines, looking from front they are on the right side
  • shrea18shrea18 Member Posts: 2
  • dorothy316dorothy316 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Cavalier has 187,000 miles on it (2 Dr., 2.2 liter engine) -- I drove about 45 mi. today, then did some running around to stores. At the last store, I come out (the temps had dropped a good 10-15 degrees in an hour!!) and all of a sudden the engine would not turn over. The AAA guy came and first put the jumpers on in case it was the battery, but it wasn't that. So then he tapped on the fuel tank as I cranked it, and it started!! He said it is the fuel pump. YIKES!!! I don't have much money right now, not for what I'm thinking will cost about $500.

1. I was reading on this forum about a fuel pump relay near the fuses, could it possibly be that, if so, how would I know before bringing it to a mechanic so that I don't get ripped off?

2. how hard is it to get to the fuel pump, will it be labor intensive at the shop???

THANKS!!!

dorothy
  • dorothy316dorothy316 Member Posts: 2
  • gretta_daddygretta_daddy Member Posts: 1
    The Fuel pump is labor intensive, 1.5 -2 hours maint.

I actually called around for a day and Pep Boys ended up being the best deal by price matching a local garage - their warranty was for 3 months on parts and 6 months on workmanship.

If it is the Relays you will be able to tell EASILY via a technician. Relays are either OPEN OR CLOSED, period. You can also hear them "click" sometimes. Anyone who has and knows how to use a multimeter and handle a wiring diagram should be able to diagnose this in 30 minutes or less.

It ended up costing me $280 for Removing and replacing the Fuel Pump - I even got a discount for being a veteran. Good luck.
  • kris92307kris92307 Member Posts: 2
  • kris92307kris92307 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier from a private party. The ABS, Trac off and Service light are all on. (The service light not check engine light. My car has both lights.) The car runs amazing. No problems what so ever. I have changed the ABS sensors and the lights will still not turn off. I have tried to disconnect the battery and still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these lights to go out without having to take it in to the dealership or use a computer. I want to try and reset the ABS computer to see if the sensors was the problem.
  • camperbccamperbc Member Posts: 1
    I have an automatic 2002 Cavalier sedan with just 100,000 kms (61,000 miles) When I am driving down the road everything seems great, then out of the blue I get a pretty drastic vibration throughout the car; can't pinpoint where, just seems everywhere. Some serious shaking going on. So I slow right down almost to a stop and then go on my way again, and everything is back to completely normal. This has happened twice in one day.

My wife came back from driving and said it had suddenly occurred at around 85km/h,(and disappeared just as quickly; she was unable to duplicate it) so I went out in an attempt to duplicate it. Of course everything was running smooth as silk at all speeds. I increased to almost 120 km/h, and while bringing the speed back down to about 100km/h it very suddenly started vibrating badly. As I said, once I slowed down, then sped up again, everything was completely back to normal.

I am really flustered here. I don't have a clue what causes this strange behavior. I don't know if this is even worth mentioning, but the check engine light stays on; has been on since long before we bought the car. This may well not be connected at all to the vibration issue, and I would hate to throw anyone off with their diagnosis if there is indeed no connection. But it might be worth noting?

Has anyone on this fine forum ever heard of this happening, or experienced the same thing? Any and all help with this issue would be very much appreciated!(I live on a remote island, so am at present unable to get to a mechanic)

Thanks,
    Glen
    Well you'd better get to a mechanic or get under that car, because whatever it is, it's obviously dangerous. You can tighten all the wheels, look for a torn boot in the front axle CV joints, look for a huge bulge in a tire, or face the car and see if the tires are both pointing straight ahead, or if they have some weird angle to them side to side or top to bottom.
  • hemlock1hemlock1 Member Posts: 2
  • hemlock1hemlock1 Member Posts: 2
    My son has a 2001 Cavalier and the warning/ beeping sound won't stop -even with the car off and the keys out. Nothing is on. Sounds like the beepoing tone when the lights are left on? continued until I disconnected and reconnected the negative terminal from the battery. any thoughts woudl be appreciated. would this issue show on a computer scan?
    edited June 2012
    Hmmm...wonder if some relay is sticking? Maybe if this happens again you can run to the relay box while the alarm is going off and feel for an extra warm relay.