Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Remote Start Question

baxterdownbaxterdown Member Posts: 36
edited December 2018 in Mazda
Hi everyone,

For those who have remote start. Once you have started the engine from the remote control, do you still have to turn the ignition when you get in the car?

Thanks

Jose

Comments

• imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    Entering the Vehicle While it is Running via Remote Start
    1. Press the START button on the remote start transmitter to unlock all doors.
    2. Enter the vehicle. Do not press the brake pedal.
    3. Insert the key into the ignition (Retractable key only) and turn to the ON position.
    4. Press the brake pedal. The remote start function disengages and the vehicle will operate normally.
  • readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    I thought the remote start would be on the same fob as the keyless remote, does anyone have the remote start integrated into the slim card-like keyless entry?
    no... cant have it integrated... it comes only with it's own remote... Imagine... by adding it ... would mean changing all of your slim cards... and @200 + each... that would make the remote un sellable..
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Is it the same case when the remote start comes with the car from factory?...is this situation only when the remote start is installed at the dealer?...thanks
    I'm gonna say yes... tho i've not seen it either way... as the dealer installed items are the same as what comes from the factory.
    Here's a point in the instructions i've just taken note of...:
    Remote Start
    Press TWICE within 3 seconds to activate Remote Start. Press and hold for 2 seconds to deactivate remote start. Press once to unlock all doors.
    Enter vehicle, insert and turn ignition key to run
    position and press brake pedal to deactivate remote start.

So tho it cant be intergrated into your card remotes.. .it does serve as a remote for doors it'self... ( tho not for assist should you have that ) ...
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Thanks very enlightening......I always thought that the factory unit was integrated into one FOB....live and learn...I wonder if the benfit of remote atart is really convinient....in our winters (northeat) it will be wonderful but then we will wonder how come that CX9 in only doing 10 mpg......
  • sellstar1sellstar1 Member Posts: 19
    I finally got the remote start installed on our CX9 today. It took a while to become available from the dealer and I travel frequently for work. The antenna for the RS is mounted near the top of the front windshield, inside the cabin. It's near the tinted portion of the windshield. While it took my wife to notice, now that I know it's there I'm not all that pleased. Anybody else seen where this is mounted on your car?
  • readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    Does anyone know how to stop the horn from beeping when you remote start? Also, can you stop the audible beep to lock/unlock the car as well?
  • jimmyz4jimmyz4 Member Posts: 25
    Is the remote start on a Veracruz really a remote start. Can you start the vehicle from the outside?
  • baxterdownbaxterdown Member Posts: 36
    I don't beleive the Veracruz has Remote Start...
  • jamesin808jamesin808 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 CX9 and it came with the remote start. The problem I am having is that it did not work. I took it in to the dealer and they said that I have to leave the smart key remote inside the car and only use the small remote start remote. That did not sound right but the only way the remote start will start the car is if the smart key is in the car. Does anyone else experienced this or it there a problem with my car?
  • live2skilive2ski Member Posts: 25
    it should not work like that. I have an '08 with the factory remote start and it works with the smart key outside of the car. If the smart key is left in the car, then someone can easily break in and steal the car since they have the smart key.
  • 08cx9fan08cx9fan Member Posts: 1
    Definitely should not work like that, I just got my 08 CX-9 with factory remote start and I never leave my smart key in the car and it works all the time, sounds like they didn't install something
  • sliver93sliver93 Member Posts: 10
    It is in the same place on our GT - I almost don't notice it because of being so close to the top of the windshield. I have started the car from 300 ft away, probably due to the location of that antenna...
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Take it back to the dealer and have them reprogram the remote start. However, when they do it this time make sure they follow the directions and keep the smart keys well away from the vehicle. If the smart key is in the car when they program the remote start, it will always need to be there to function.
  • handiguyhandiguy Member Posts: 1
    I just had an OEM remote starter installed in my 2007 CX-9 GT. The dealer required both smart keys as the starter comes with a loop of wire & module that surrounds the ignition lock thus fooling the starter system that there is 1) an immobilizer chipped physical key in the ignition or 2) there is a smart key in the vehicle.
  • jillbarrerajillbarrera Member Posts: 2
    My optional equipment included (RSE) Remote Engine Start, for $350, but it came with only one remote. We got two smart cards. Wouldn't it make sense to get two remotes, too?
  • badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    The dealer owes you one more remote. The factory remote start set-up comes with two keyfobs, as you surmised, one for each smart key.
    I got two with mine as well - it sounds like they owe you one!
  • InBloomInBloom Member Posts: 5
    Is there any difference between a dealer installed remote start and a factory installed?

Do both scenarios require a key fob and separate starter device?

I am looking at 08's and want remote start as a feature, I assumed that if it was factory installed the start would be integrated into the key fob as is the case with Buicks I have seen. If it is not I guess that means I can take any CX-9 and have the dealer add the remote start and thus my pool of available vehicles grows... Thanks.
    I got two with mine - factory installed. I wish they wewe integrated, but the range is great!
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    The so-called "factory installed" is actually installed at the port of entry by a bunch of workers who do many of the same accessories repetitively. When it is installed by the dealer, it is no different from you install it yourself. i.e. follow the instructions that comes with the package step by step. They may have more tools than we do, and probably slightly more experienced.

Factory does not install add-on accessories so that the production line can be smooth. (factory does options/packages).
  • skr2skr2 Member Posts: 32
    I own a 2008 GT CX-9 and was wondering how much it would cost to get a Remote Start System installed by the dealer. I was talking to my dealer informally and he mentioned:
    1) I would not get the remote start installed as it involves taking the panels off and their mechanics were not comfortable with the install, the best way would be to purchase the vehicle with remote start installed in the first place
    2) it would be expensive - close to $800

Any comments on how much you had to pay to get it installed by the dealer?
  • mamkennedymamkennedy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 09 GT CX-9 and am looking to have the dealer install Remote Engine Start as well. Dealer said the kit itself was $300 and then approx 3 1/2 hours of labor at something like $140/hr (I live in the Chicagoland area). I was able to negotiate total cost of kit and labor at $600 excluding tax.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    $600 sounds about right at the dealer. That's what I paid last month on our new CX-7 to have it installed.

Just make sure they use the Mazda CX-9 Remote Starter and not any other Ford or aftermarket. You may lose some locking/remote functionality if the wrong model is installed.

Also, make sure your car has the TSB applied for the electrical problem with the remote car starter applied. Otherwise you'll burn out your ignition if you car falls into the serial# list. Only the dealer can perform this TSB so you might as well have them do the remote install.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/cx-9/bulletin/01-046-08-1963.pdf
  • icmoose2icmoose2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi mamkennedy,
    I live in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago as well, and have a 08 GT AWD CX9.
    Did you get your remote starter installed (including the TSB) for $600?
    Which dealer did you go to and who did you talk to at that dealer?
    Did you have a good experience with them?
    Are you having any problems with your new remote?
    Thanks
  • ironchefoi812ironchefoi812 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Mazda CX-9 GT with Remote Start. My issue is that the Climate Control System needs the ignition on before it can be turned on. Since I live in the snowy north it would be nice if the vehicle could warm up the cabin and defrost the windows via remote start; not just pre-heat the engine. Anybody else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?
    We have the same vehicle in Colorado, and purchased the remote start because we wanted to have the interior warm/cool when we load our kids. It works just fine with the automatic climate control - once the engine warms up it starts blowing the HVAC until the temperature we have selected is reached. I don't know how they could disable your climate control from working... Works great for us - perhaps a dealer could help...
    Sterling
  • cbsnurseycbsnursey Member Posts: 3
    We get ++ snow here, sometimes my wipers blow the fuse should they be accidently left on. My heat does not come on when this fuse blows, anyone know where to find the remote start fuses?
  • slemay2slemay2 Member Posts: 3
    I brought my 2007 w/factory remote starter to the dealer and asked him to change a few things - he couldn't. I can't imagine these can't be changed - anyone out here have a manual on how to program it? Stuff I'm looking to change:

1) Horn beeps - I want to turn that off for both when the starter starts and when you lock the doors manually w/starter.

2) Mine only runs for about 5 min. I'm in Buffalo NY - 5 min in the winter is not enough time to get ANYTHING warm. So I end up having to start it 2-3 times to get the car warm. I want it to run for 15 min before it turns off.

3) When I manually unlock the doors - I DO NOT want it to automatically lock them again. I started the car remotely the other day - walked outside unlocked the doors, put the keys in the ignition (no I didn't hit the break) and closed the doors. Minute later - the doors locked - WITH THE KEYS IN IT! I have to call home and get the other set brought out to me... talk about upsetting!

Thanks!
    Shawn
  • cbsnurseycbsnursey Member Posts: 3
    I have a factory remote for my Mazda cx 9 as well. It has been nothing but trouble. I think all the bugs got ironed out but only because I persisted and called Mazda Canada and complained. Anyhow, my remote was only running for 5 minutes as well and Mazda were able to reprogram it to run for 10, 15 or 20. I chose 20, cause it is freezing here in Canada. As for your door relocking , it's suppose to do that but should not if your key is inside. I was on the highway when this happened to me and my cx9 was running for 2 hours before I could retrieve my other key and unlock the door. It was a faulty starter and they replaced the whole thing. Mazda gave me the run around about that and tried to convince me that it was supposed to be that way, because I was a woman, I guess I was suppose to understand. I sent them the invoice for my ride as well as the time I lost for work and they quickly changed their mind and wanted to get rid of me. So they replaced it. As for the beeping, thats a security feature and may not be able to change.
    I love my cx9 but I have to admit the service is terrible. I'm a previous multiple Honda owner and plan to spend my money there next time for the impecable service I had gotten in the past.

Hope this helps.
    This is 1/2 the reason I wished I could find the manual to programming it myself. :(
  • paulvhpaulvh Member Posts: 6
    I have the installation manual.

Before doing any work disconnect the battery. It will mean you will loose the programmed information of the radio (better write that down so you can program that back later) and chairs.

To stop door-lock and horn sound. You will need to remove the drive side kick panel. (first remove the drive side scuff plate, peel back the rubber weatherstrip, remove the plastic nut that is half way on the panel.)

Locate the BCM (body control module), which is on the front near the driver door behind the driver side panel with a lot of connections on it. (I can't upload image otherwise would have included, but if you are not sure; search on internet) The connector at the the side of the BCM at the top is a 30 pin connector. 2 wires (next to each other) leaving from the connector into the cable tree will have separate wire attached to it : G/R = green/red = HORN , V/W = violet/white = door lock. Remove the extra wire (NOT the wire that goes in the cable tree) for the function (horn or door lock) you don't want, that is going to the remote start model and tape it off."
    Thank you! Any chance you could post this installation manual?

What about changing the default run time? I think it's 10 min now - and I'd like to increase that to it's max. Thanks again!
    The manual is not making any references to be able to change the time. It only refers to tachometer programming. I'll look that I can find a scanner for the manual and post it on the web. Will take some time however..
  • raykalraykal Member Posts: 2
    Recently got a 2012 CX9 and opted for remote start. When went to pick up the car, found that dealer installed after market "auto mate" remote start. They mentioned that is what they install to all the mazda's and claimed that it is same as factory installed one. Is it true? Definitely not happy with this...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Doesn't sound like a Mazda brand to me.

After seeing so many posts with people having issues with remote starters messing up electronics after 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't want a remote starter in the first place, but I really wouldn't want an aftermarket one.
  • djsmilesdjsmiles Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I live in Canada (Mississauga) and recently purchased a US 2007 Mazda cx9 that has a factory installed remote starter. However, I did not receive any FOB's and only received 1 smart card.
    I have grown quite fond of my children, thus I did not want to sell them to pay the factory charge of purchasing a new card, programming and getting new remote fob's ;)

Any ideas on how i can find them economically?

Looking for help
    DJ
  • clopes1969clopes1969 Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 2008 Mazda CX9 with factory auto start. The auto start turns the car on, but not the heat. This is very inconvenient, I have called Mazda, but was told that they would have to see the car to check it out, which costs $$$$$. When I turn the car to ACC the radio remains on, but the heat turns off
    can you clarify more what happens ? When is your heat not working? When you remote start OR when you turn to ACC ?
    To add : depending when you experience the issue is might be a fuse ( the remote start has a number of separate fuses and one might be broken) However before trying and measure that (which require you to be upside down in the car) let's try to understand the conditions to diagnose.
    The heat works fine under normal conditions; when I turn the car to the ACC position the digital readout on the top of the radio only shows the radio still working from this position. The manual says to set your heat to the controls you desire for the auto start in the ACC position and it will turn on in auto start. When I try to turn it on from the ACC it does nothing....thanks for your reply; I hope j better explained myself this time
    This looks to be an issue with HVAC1 and/or HVAC2 fuses in the remotestart controller. Then you get this problem with your AC and heater.
    Look at http://www.mazdaparts.org/macxreenst1.html
    There is a link documentation, on page 5, you see the diagram for the fuses.
    Check both fuses HVAC1 and HVAC2.

There used to be systematic problem with this fuse blowing and a new wiring harness was required. (TSB-01-046-08). Not sure whether that had been applied to your car. The dealer should be able to tell you from the MAZDA maintenance system.
  • jptownsjptowns Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same thing and when using remote start the red KEY light stays on. Dealer trying to tell me that's natural. I am extremely frustrated. 2nd Mazda from this dealer and likely the last.
  • jmclean43jmclean43 Member Posts: 1
    I am now having a similar problem in my 2008 CX9 with factory/dealer auto start. Car starts remotely, but neither heat nor seat warmers turn on until I manually turn car in to on position. Problem just started and I bought new from dealer . Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Check the reply I received; its #47....I was told that it is most likely a fuse within the control box for the electric starter
  • MazdaDrewMazdaDrew Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2018
    I am having the same issue as an earlier post from https://forums.edmunds.com/profile/jamesin808 The remote will not start the car except when the main keyfob Smart key is in the car. Any idea how to correct that? I tried disconnecting the cars battery wait 1 minut the reconnect ensuring the keyfob is not in or near the car when i did that. Still acts the same way. Keyfob must be in the car for the remote to be able to start the car. Any tips on how to re-program the remote start control?
  • Mazdacx92012Mazdacx92012 Member Posts: 1

I have the same problem in my 2012 Mazda Cx-9. The remote will not start the car except when the main keyfob Smart key is in the car. Someone know how to fix this problem. I try changing the remote batterys. I disconnected the engine battery for 2 hours too. But still the problem