Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000 Honda Odyssey Reliability

jdh5jdh5 Member Posts: 9
I've recently been sinking a lot of $$ into my 1998 Ford Windstar for repairs, and today the transmission went out. It will cost me $1500-2000 to replace the transmission. Since the vehicle appears to be on it's last leg & has been sucking the money out of my savings account lately, I am considering purchasing a different van.

I found a 2000 Honda Odyssey w/ 105K miles for $8,000...It is being sold by a dealer I know & trust, and has all of the maintenance records. I've always heard that Honda's are tremendously safe & reliable vehicles, and would like to think that if I purchased this vehicle & maintianed it well, it would last for another 100,000K miles.

Is anyone aware of any reasons that I should avoid purchasing a Honda Odyssey from this year?

Comments

• Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    From what I understand the 2000 Odys are more reliable than the later year models.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    That year has problems with transmissions which is pretty well documented on this site. I think that's a lot of money for that old of van with that many miles.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    That's a little expensive; Book value on my 02' with similar mileage is in the $9K area for a private party transaction.

Odysseys have well documented transmission issues from 1999-2002/2003, so I would check all the maintenance records and see if someone replaced the transmission.

I'd try to get it for around $7000, but try looking into newer ones, as that doesn't seem to be a screaming bargain.
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    My wife's 2000 Ody, w/130,000 miles, is on it's third transmission. 1st one went bad at ~60K miles and the second one went bad at around 90K miles. Fortunately, both were covered by warranty. Other than that, it's been entirely bullet proof. The transmission issue alone would be enough to keep me from buying one, though.
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I have an '00 Odyssey with 145k miles. The car is on it's third transmission; second one at 90k and third at 100k. Honda keeps putting the same defective design back into the car, just a rebuilt version.

Also, the braking system is terrible. The front rotors are undersized & the car has a horrible chatter when applying the brakes hard (we've tried everything including on-the-car rotor surfacing).

Stay away from all Honda V6 cars from '00-'03 & some'04s. They have major transmission issues.

I would look for a higher mileage '04 Toyota Sienna ($12k-15k). They are extremely reliable according to CR & a former employer's company van.

Or buy a new '07 Odyssey LX they have great deals right now.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Other the transmission, which they did replace for free, I had no issue over about 117 K before I traded it in a a newer (not new) one.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    eagleman1990eagleman1990 Member Posts: 6
    I'd advise you not to buy this particular year. We just ditched our '99 Ody with 107k miles. It was on it's 3rd tranny which Honda paid for, but we got stuck replacing the A/C compressor and power side door switches. It was a lemon sad to say.
  • Options
    m4mulveym4mulvey Member Posts: 11
    Our 2000 Ody EX has been ferrying wife and kids plus some long-haul vacations to places like Mammoth Mountain with NO problems since we took delivery in late 1999.
  • Options
    shekharshekhar Member Posts: 23
    It has now developed a " sticky door problem" - won't open from outside (great effort needed to open from inside). Other tha that it has been a great vehicle. regular fluid changes, 2 brake jobs and a set of tires has all it has asked for providing us with 140,000 miles of reliable transportation.
    I guess the transmission problems in 2000 were reported in less than 1% of all the Ody's sold.
  • Options
    kink80kink80 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 2000 Honda Odyssey LX. It has 91000 miles and they want 6995 for it. I am a little reluctant to buy a vehicle with this many miles but I have heard great things about the Odyssey. Is this a good buy or should I keep looking? I would probably offer around 6000 for it. Thanks.
  • Options
    micswollenmicswollen Member Posts: 1
    Beware... Honda had a massive problem with transmissions in the Odessey
    in the years 1999-2001 Thousands of people have had to eat the price
    for new transmissions (upwards of 3-4K) Honda was sued in a class action and was forced to exdtend warranty coverage to many ORIGINAL owners
    but only up to 109,00mi and if you are past that to bad sooo sad
    Most 99-01 Odesseys have already passed that mark.
    from the best info Ive been able to glean there is a faulty torque converter that was used in the new transmissions many people report after replacing the whole transmission that it was only good for another 20-40k mi it went again
    I have also read that the 2001 Accord tranny is even more unreliable
    If you wonder how reliable these Odesseys/Accords (year/model) is do your homework