Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Torrent Ignition Problem

Comments

• dahlbpmndahlbpmn Member Posts: 12
    Call GM customer service and see if they will work with you. I am sorry you are having such a hard time.
  • brendavbrendav Member Posts: 11
    ATTENTION ALL 2006 AND 2007 PONTIAC TORRENT OWNERS WHO ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH STARTING ISSUES. THIS MESSAGE IS FOR YOU.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a 2006 torrent and bought it brand new. At 20,000 miles I started having issues with the starter dragging and the car not starting. I have had it in several times to the dealership. They have replaced starters, fuel pumps, ignition switches, cleaned carbon buildup, tightened some wire (not sure which one), rebuilt the new ignition, and various minor fixits. None of them have worked. I know you guys are just as frustrated as I am. Well i might have hope!!!!! I followed another persons advice on this forum and involved Pontiac. Long story short and several visits being without my car for a total of 26 days over the last year and a half. I might have good news. Here are the dealers exact words as to what they did on my car. (((((( inspected for intermittent crank no start. Performed vehicle system check. No DTC,S cannot duplicate (no suprise to me) Called TAC opened case was advised to monitor throttle position during no start and inspect throttle body for coking, binding. During no start condition found that if throttle was depressed lightly vehicle would start. Inspected throttle body and found throttle blade was binding. Replaced throttle body. Rechecked and found Ok Defective throttle body)))))))) That is word for word on the service order. Now, my car usually acts up within a day of getting it out of the shop. I have had no problems so far. Its been over a week. I will keep you guys posted with my progress. I am trying to feel like its fixed but I have my guard up. Anyway for those of you who are out of warranty the cost for this repair is approximately $284.52. This is what is on my invoice. They waived my extended warranty deductible. How nice of them. They said this problem was posted on their service department websight. Oh yeah they also informed that the 06 and 07 Chevy Equinox are doing the same thing to. Well gotta go for now. I will keep you posted as to if my problem starts up again. Then we will go from there. Good luck everyone. Brenda
    Oh yea this is to finish up message 53 You might not need this info but the part number is 000 012589308
    fp- 012589308

Fail code 6C

See ya, Brenda
    That is awesome! Keep your fingers crossed. The "fix" does sound a little different that what others have tried. Thanks for the update. jBarb
  • reikipathreikipath Member Posts: 1
    we bought our 2006 torrent brand new...two months and 2000 miles after the warranty expires (of course!) we are having the starting issues....initially it just continued to crank when you turned the key, even though it was already running. Then it stopped altogether. After calling the dealer and being told it was either the started motor or alternator and would be $800 minimum, we took it to an independent shop. It cost $160 for a new battery. Now a week later the indicators have stopped working...both...at the same time....and the cd player won't work. It all seems like there is some kind of electrical issue. I don't want to start putting lots of cash into this vehicle if problems are going to continue and am now at a loss as to what to do next.
    Hey how are ya? Well I am pleased to tell you the problem has been solved. I have had no starting issues since March of 2009. Read message # 53 for instructions on what I had done. I hope this works for you as well.
    See ya, Brenda Valentine
    Hi I am sorry you are having a problem with your torrent. I had the same problem for over a year and a half. I finally found someone to fix it. Look at message #53 that I posted and it will tell you what I had done. My problems were exactly like yours. To a tee. The problem is the throttle cable. The starter will keep turning over until the engine starts. If the throttle cable is not getting the engine started the starter will in turn keep going until the cable lets the car start. I know it sounds funny but it worked for me. My car is running great since March. You can read more of my prior messages and see what I went through. Good luck to you. On the message 53 I included part numbers and everything. I typed it right off of my work order from the dealership. I hope it workd for you. Let me know how it all turns out. Brenda
  • escho83escho83 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    We have had our 06 Torrent since May of 06 and have had a lot of the previous mentioned sticking problems. Had the ignition cylinder replaced multiple times. Fixed the problem. Now we are having a new problem. The car will not even try to turn over. It just clicks, and the cd player tries to shuffle the cds (even though there are none in there) and each time the problem occurs the clock resets. Taken it to the dealer 4 times in the past two weeks, with multiple things changed and it is still doing it. Any suggestions other than contacting GM? Thanks.
    Hi sorry you are having these problems. Unfortunately mine is starting up again. I am having starting issues. I think these cars are garbadge and need to be recalled. Since Pontiac is having financial issues I think we are pretty much on our own. These little problems will continue to drive us crazy until our warranties run out and were out of luck and on our own. As you can tell I am very frustrated with my torrent. I dont have any suggestions for you other than count to ten when it happens and try to honor God in your actions. Even though you want to throw a fit. I am in the same boat you are. So sorry I am not much help. Good Luck.
    Brenda
  • ava_bava_b Member Posts: 2
    Hopefully I won't jinx myself by posting this since it works everytime and I no longer feel nervous to start my car. I hope this works for others as well.

Instead of just cranking it right up, I turn the key to the what I am guessing would be the "on" or "run" position. It's the line past Accessory and before crank. Then I listen for the fuel pump to kick on... it's a little whine that just lasts a few seconds and then I turn the key to start but I just turn it and immediately let it go. It has started faithfully every time.

My problem was that the car would crank for a long time and usually stall and I would have to keep doing it until it started. It didn't ever do it when it was cold, but rather when it was warm... like if I went into a store for a few minutes and came back out. Since I started letting the fuel pump kick on and don't hold the key to crank, it starts right up. (Just turning the key to crank and letting it go didn't work. Only when I let the fuel pump kick on, does it work... maybe it is a fuel pump issue?)

The one time I didn't do this in the last month, it acted up, so I think there might be something to it.

Try it out and let me know.

Good luck.
  • twinsdadnjtwinsdadnj Member Posts: 3
    We bought a 2006 Torrent for my daughter and took delivery about 9 weeks ago. We did so since it was GM Certified Pre-Owned and at least I have a bumper to bumper warranty for 12 months. The starter thing just happened with the CD shuffling, etc. I just called my salesperson and left a message. My 17 yr old daughter got stranded with the car at a friend's house which thank goodness wasn't too far. I don't want her to get stranded at work at night! She was so happy - her first car. Hopefully the dealer will tow it to their shop at their cost other wise I guess I will have to use my AAA and pay the difference. At this point after reading about all these issues, I don't even want the damn thing. Hopefully theu will take it back and let her get something else (yea like that'll happen!)
    I had it towed to a local mechanic and told them to look at any "wear and tear" type items like dead battery, etc. Figured if it was simple then it was the cheaper alternative to taking it to the dealer (which is 20 miles away and I would have to have it towed). Called the dealer and they said that they would have to honor the bumper to bumper. They did fix some other problems last week with no problems (nothing related to ignition) so I hope the trend continues.
    Happy to report that is was a simple dead battery and my local mechanic checked the charging system, etc. I would have bet large that is was something else due to the CD shuffling, etc but everything else checked out OK. Crisis averted.
  • choochoo2136choochoo2136 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 06 and the dealer toold me the same thing. they "reprogrammed" it and it had 0 problenms for about 3 months. now its back to the same old crap sometimes it takes a long cranking time before it fires and sometimes it takes a few tries. its my wifes car, if it was mine i can deal with it but she doesnt feel confident in it
  • bigguynjbigguynj Member Posts: 1
    Listen up!! I have a 2006 torrent with roughly 55,000miles on it. One morning I went out to try and start the vehicle and nothing. Just clicked so i tried it again and it started. I went for awhile using the car where it would be a crap shoot if it started or not bc I found a new starter was around $375-500. Do not let anybody tell you you need a new starter without first, if you're handy, just taking the starter out and replacing the starter solenoid. It cost me $30 and so far so good. its been 2 weeks with no issues. I found the points in the unit were burned up after i broke it open. The only modification I had to do was make up a Stak-On ring for the ignition switch on the unit. The original was an actual connector. Well good luck and I hope this works out for you!!!!!
  • untorrent07untorrent07 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Torrent in so many times I've lost count. They've replaced the battery four times now and have told me that it has been just a bad batch of batteries. I have recently returned home and my car once again is stone dead with a brand new battery in it. I believe it's not the battery. What else could it be? They were looking into something else draining draining the battery before the came up with the bad batch reason. Help me!
  • dannyd3dannyd3 Member Posts: 56
    Hi there,

It sounds like your alternator isn't charging the battery.

just a thought
  • jnetgarrjnetgarr Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2006 Torrent new, and it now has 55,000 miles on it. I have also have the weird starter problem. It has always started and the key has never gotten stuck. I hate to mention the other problems I've had for fear they'll come back again. They started when it was fairly new, and I took it in, but they could never diagnose it. My interior lights stayed on and the door locks would click off and on all the time when I was driving. If I locked it, the interior lights would stay on, and the horn would start honking after awhile. It would always quit eventually, and of course it never did it when the dealer had it. It has done it several times, but it always quits. I hope it never does it again since it's not under warranty anymore. After reading about everyone else's problems, I'm glad I don't have more!
  • pt74pt74 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Torrent with about 120,000 km's on it. I also experienced the ignition problem a few times over the winter, especially on damp, cold days. The first couple times, I'd turn the key and wait and wait and wait while the starter whined in vain. I eventually found that, when the starter was having trouble 'catching', I'd give the accelerator a gentle press (about a quarter of the way down) while turning the key and it would fire right up. I have no idea if this is detrimental to the starter or the fuel pump, but it has been a workable solution.

Overall, aside from some minor issues (door harness wiring and a slipped sunroof), I'm very happy with my vehicle.
  • marycjohn08marycjohn08 Member Posts: 1
    my husband and I bought a 07 Pontiac Torrent it has 30,000 miles on it. I pulled it into our carport and left the key in the ignition while I cleaned papers out of it I did leave the door open to listen to the radio. I heard a few beeps to let me know the door was open buit then everything shut off and now the key is stuck in the ignition and it won't come out of park what is wrong my husband is a mechanic and he checked all the fuses and put a new battery in it still nothing
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Marycjohn08,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further for you? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • bloodtabloodta Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Torrent with just over 40k miles. The other day the Passlock light came on and it took a couple of tries to get the car to start. Flash forward to this morning, the car won't start, when I turn the key it makes all types of clicking and popping sounds, the radio and interior lights randomly cut on and off, when I remove the key it keeps clicking for a few seconds. My question is, what fuses do I need to check, also, could this be the battery or starter?
  • ml_06_torrentml_06_torrent Member Posts: 1
    Wow... EXACTLY the same problem with my 06' Torrent. I noticed your post was in August. Hopefully you've had time to figure it out and fix it. I would love to know what you found out? What was the problem?
  • ryff21ryff21 Member Posts: 2
    Our '06 Torrent has had the ignition switch replaced once, but the dealer has had it in there a few times before they actually replaced it. Now our car is in the garage clicking, flashing, blinking and sometimes nothing, when you put the key in. I'm at a loss for what the issue could be, other than everything I see being posted here makes all the sense in the world. Because were having the issue of the starter engaging and but it whirls and grinds almost as if its trying to restarts itself, the turn signal flashers going a mile a minute, and the radio/CD player reset the time. Yet the dealer told us that they couldn't find anything wrong with the starter and couldn't get it to duplicate the issue. This has gone on for over a year. Has anyone been able to resolve their issues? We do have an extended warranty but its only good to 75,000 on the day the car decides not to start at all the mileage is at 75,600 isn't that how it always happens.
    ryff21,
    I apologize you are experiencing difficulties with your vehicle. When these problems started will you still in your extended warranty parameters?
    Can you please e-mail me with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and contact information. I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 2006torrent2006torrent Member Posts: 12
    Were you able to determine what caused your ignition problem? I'm having a similar problem and would like to get it fixed, but so far no mechanic could figure out what's causing my problem.
    I'm experiencing difficulties with my 2006 Pontiac Torrent starting too and the symptoms you describe regarding the starter sound similar to mine. I've taken my vehicle into dealership and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with start. They cleaned my fuel injectors since it was time for that maintenance but that didn't help. I took it to Sears to have them check the battery and they replaced my battery. I took it to another mechanic and he couldn't find any failure codes on its computer. Sounds like I may need to get the ignition switch fixed, but vehicle is no longer under warranty (just went off warranty in October). Argh!
    I was one of the first to enter a posting. I have a 2006 Torrent with 88,000 miles. (Yes, I am always in my car) My issues were very acute from 2007-2008. They ran many tests but the dealer never could replicate the starting issues I have had. In Feb 2008one of the last adjustments were running a "tac bore". It seemed to take care of most of the problem. I have had very few issues since then. I really like the car. It has always started but at times would take 2-8 attempts to start the car. The service manager at the dealership was extremely helpful and suggested I contact GM directly which I did. The SM pushed GM and got an extended warrantly for me - 100,000 miles. This has been a good deal for GM. I have not used the warranty (yet) and it made me happy to have that warranty. Win Win for everyone.
    Thanks for your reply. What does "running a tac bore" mean? I'd like to consider having my mechanic do that but I'd like to understand it myself first. I'm also considering having the throttle body replaced as was suggested by someone else. Did you have your throttle body replaced also?
    How has your Torrent been starting since last November? Did the starter solenoid replacement fix your problem for good? What's a Stak-On ring? Thanks for your help.
    Ha! I have no clue what a tac bore is. I went back to my service slips and looked at what they had done. You might have to Google that one. Actually they replaced very little but kept trying to tweak whatever could be adjusted.
    2006torrent,
    This is why it’s good to always take your vehicle to an authorized GM dealer. There would be a record of you having this trouble before the warranty ended. I would definitely recommend taking it back to the dealer to see what they can do for you. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I did take it to dealership while under warranty but due to it being an intermittent issue the dealer couldn't find anything wrong (same story as others have posted). All the dealership did was clean fuel injectors which didn't fix the issue. Vehicle is no longer under warranty and still has issues so I'm taking it to a local mechanic that I trust and who won't charge me the high service rates dealerships charge. I'm also discussing issues with my father, a mechanic who lives out of state, to get ideas for what might be causing the issue to see if there's a solution to resolve it.
  • comsurvcomsurv Member Posts: 1
    Our son's 2007 Torrent's symptom is that the battery completely drains within 2 hours or less after switching off the ignition, at random intervals without consideration of time of day or night, ambient temperature, atmospheric conditions, elevation, nor does it follows a time pattern: (it can happen in 5 days, 2 days, 15 days, twice a day…). It is this unpredictability that makes the issue that much more frustrating and dangerous.

The first course of action was to refer the problem to a dealer who, after $200+ in service charges, could not diagnose, much less resolve the issue.

So we replaced the battery. All that achieved was to increase the issues' price tag.

Since the battery was ruled out, we monitored the alternator’s output in several different sessions and at different RPM. It constantly delivers @ 14.50VDC (+/-). This rules out the alternator and the voltage regulator.

We then monitored the vehicles&#146; battery consumption after the ignition was turned off during a period of 5 days. Every measurement registered <.1 Amps.

NOTE: The above measurements were taken with a Fluke 289 and in no occasion after or during the measurement sessions did the battery drain down.

A key-off parasitic electrical drain should be the only answer, but the question is how to find it when it is not draining?

Since I see in the various blogs that this seems to be a common issue, previous experience should indicate which relay, module or diode has given problems in the past and we could address that/those particular parts?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!
  • jflash11jflash11 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the fuel pressure should be at the fuel rail on a 2006 Pontiac Torrent? Mine is fluctuating at 50-60 psi... :confuse:
    jflash11,
    If you would like to email me your VIN and question, I can look into this question further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • dustrejdustrej Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading, with interest, the fact that many Torrent owners are having the same issues as we are with starting. We have also found that pressing the accelorator while starting ensures the car will start every time. Our dealership replaced the starter and the fuel pump with no results. Unfortunately, we have now run out of warranty as well. We did take the car back to the dealership just this week and a new service manager - who said he worked for GM for years - knew exactly what the problem was. We were very lucky to get the car to "replicate" the problem right there in front of him, and he said the throttle body needs to be cleaned? There's a part that is sticking and not allowing the vehicle to start. Apparently some carb cleaner on that part will do the trick. Has anyone else been told something similar? Or has anyone tried to clean it and has results? We travel in this vehicle about 9 months out of every year for our son's sports teams and it actually is a great vehicle with the exception of that one issue.

One other item I was wondering if anyone has experienced: when idling at a stop light, we occasionally hear a "ka-kunk, ka-kunk, ka-kunk noice coming from the under part of the car on the driver's side. Three ka-kunks and then it's done. Anyone?
  • torrentofabusetorrentofabuse Member Posts: 3
    Hello, As for the starting issue, my engine light goes on and off intermittantly while daily driving - I have to depress the gas pedal a little to get the motor to stay running immediately after starting. If I don't, the motor stalls. Issue began @ about 100,000 miles. Starter and ignition lock and key work with no difficulty. Dealer offered to clean injectors when I had the spark plugs replaced, of course for a stiff $$$. Instead, added fuel injector cleaner to a couple of fill-ups, have always used Mobil or BP fuel with cleaning additives. Will live with the problem until it gets worse or the vehicle dies of old age.
    As for the ka-kunk, funny: I get a sound just like that coming from the floor betwwen the seats more to the back of the seats. Sounds like a weight or something is righting itself after I turn left. Dealer didn't know what it was, offered to diagnose for, again a stiff $$$. Apparently not a drivability issue, go figure.
  • pt74pt74 Member Posts: 5
    Dustreg - my 2006 Pontiac has made that 'ka-kunk' sound from the day I drove it off the lot.

I love my 2006 Torrent, which now has 170,000 km on the odometer (about 105,000 miles). But a whole bunch of 'little problems' are starting to add up:

(1) driver's side power lock switch doesn't work & the radio and lights stay on after I exit the vehicle - I think this is a wire harness problem in the door.
    (2) sunroof sits about 1/4 inch below where it should, causing a lot of wind noise at highway speeds.
    (3) ABS / traction control warning light just started going off at random times and random speeds.

I'm booking it in for service next week. I'm not looking forward to the bill :(
    torrentofabuse,

If you have your vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership please feel free to contact GM Customer Assistance via phone or send us an email directly.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • torrentofabusetorrentofabuse Member Posts: 3
    Hello Caron,
    Nice to see you are monitoring this thread, I do not see, or overlooked, your business address and phone number. Please share it as I am interested in getting some relief for the starting problem I am experiencing.
    I further add that I should not have to pay a diagnosis fee for, or for that matter, the repair cost to fix it, as many others are also experiencing this same problem as evidenced in this blog. In my opinion, this is a quality deficit of this vehicle model caused by the manufacturer, or at the very least a quality deficit with my vehicle. As for the ka-kunk sound emanating from the floorboard between and to the rear of the front seats as I previously described: should I have to pay out of pocket to render a solution as to what it is and what it might affect in terms of drivability and maybe my safety? I like the Torrent, saddened to see the Pontiac brand disappear, and am loyal to a point: the point of being financially drained by the stiff garage repair rates of the dealership.
    Dave
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just click on Caron's member name (or anyone else's) to see their Profile. Many members make their contact info "public" that way (other members can see it but it slows down the spammers).
  • 1chevy20071chevy2007 Member Posts: 2
    Our torrent battery was going dead too. Discovered that the brake pedal was pressed and the brake light was draining the battery. I bought an expensive part from the dealership to replace on the brake pedal, but found that the issue was just a cracked plastic collar (white in color) with cogs that you can adjust at what point your brake light engages. I got a plastic collar from the dealership and replaced it on the brake pedal under the dash, problem solved. This also fixed the cruise control intermittenly shutting off since tapping the brake shuts off the cruise. Hope this helps. I still also have the ka kunk sound and starting issues though.
  • 1chevy20071chevy2007 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same exact problems with starting and ka kunk. PLEASE let me know if you find a fix. 06 Torrent
    Dave,

I apologize for your frustration; however, having the vehicle diagnosed is the first step in our process of handling your concerns. As every major company we have standard operating procedures and having the vehicle diagnosed is just that. This helps us to get technical information on your concerns. I apologize; but this is at the cost of the customer, but this is the only way we can evaluate your situation. If you would like to take your vehicle in to be diagnosed, please feel free to email me directly with your contact information, VIN, mileage and involved dealer. I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you,
    1chevy2007,
    Have you spoke with a dealer or Customer Assistance? Can you please email me and explain your experiences? Please provide your VIN and current mileage.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mwj8mwj8 Member Posts: 1
    I also have had this ignition problem and the kachunk kachunk noise. The k-k noise has occured since the vehicle had <20k miles or so. Only when the car was not warmed up though. Once warm, it doesn't happen. The ignition issue is my current problem. Just tried to get the car inspected and it failed. First time for this. I have 52k miles only. I usually buy 89 octane gas, but the last 2 times I've filled up I used 87. Regardless of the current gas though, I've had the check engine light come on if I sat idle for 10 minutes or so. If I run the highway, it usually goes away in about a day. Seems like the fuel is not getting into the ignition very well when I turn the key. I'm having to press the gas peddle to feed gas in and then it will start, but sluggishly. Another problem I had to have repaired was the key ignition sticking. Got so bad I got stranded at work one night. The key would not turn. They ended up replacing the whole key assembly after trying some temporary fix using teflon that worked for about 1 year. I love this car, but I'm getting fed up with the issues. I'm going to try to run some 92 octane gas thru it and try to get the car to pass inspection after a full tank is used.
    mwj8,

Have you taken your vehicle in to be diagnosed by a GM dealership?

Thank you,
  • ryff21ryff21 Member Posts: 2
    Dear Caron
    We have taken our Torrent to a GM Dealership where they coudnt figure it out since the key sticks only sometimes . They even replaced the ingnition. Still have problems. Also when it fires up it continues to crank until you hit the gas or it fails to start.
    We are going on 2 years now with the same problems.
    ryff21,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to set up the case I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, please provide a brief description of issue you are experiencing and the screen name used on the forum.

Thank you,