Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

To whom would YOU sell Rover, Volvo, Jaguar?

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited March 2014 in Volvo
It's a badly-kept secret that Ford is itching to unload Volvo, Jaguar and Rover.

Problem is, even Ford isn't sure who it wants to sell these entities to. Jaguar and Rover are quite inter-related and share a lot of resources, but Volvo is pretty independent.

If you were in charge, to whom would you sell each of these three prestige brands? Other automakers? An outside investment group? Domestic or overseas? Would you sell them all to one buyer (unlikely but hey, you're in charge!) or group them or parcel them out?

What seems logical and smart to you?

MrShiftright
Visiting Host

Comments

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    would be the smartest thing here. Jag and LR, sure sell them off as a package deal. But Volvo and Mazda have been the best investments Ford has made, both have been utilized in Ford products with great success. I mean look at how Saab ended up, now THERE'S a model of how not to run an aquisition... On the contrary, Ford has done an excellent job with Volvo.

Sell the other two to Hyundai, they seem like they could use a luxury marque or two and Land Rover offroad knowledge could be helpful.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Volvo's not going to be easily unwound from Ford now, so they might as well hang onto it. Jaguar and RR can go to whoever is willing to pay for them; probably some outfit in China that would otherwise put out Zhagulas and Rang Whoas.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So you think Volvo will end up being a partnership deal between Ford and someone else....a co-ownership?
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    ...say that Ford is not exploring the sale of Volvo, just Jaguar and Land Rover.

When Ford pledged its assets as collateral for that huge loan, it included Volvo among those assets. Land Rover and Jaguar were not included.
    Oh I think they are just playing hard to get. Besides, they may have no choice in the matter.

Just Visiting
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Yeah, I could see them seeking out an equity partner to buy into Volvo. Ford only owns something like 30% of Mazda, but that's enough to get things done. Selling Volvo outright would be sticky, since it uses a Mazda platform for its small cars, gives Ford a platform for their big cars, some Euro Fords use Volvo engines, etc.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover are integrated now with the LR2/Freelander 2.

Land Rover and Volvo worked together to make the engine and some of the platform. The platform of the LR2 is partially shared with the new S80 and will be mostly shared with the upcoming XC60 SUV. The LR2/Freelander 2 is being built at Halewood a Jaguar factory.

Jag and Land Rover are even more heavily integrated. You CANNOT sell one with out the other.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    FoMoCo should keep Volvo Jag and LR and sell Ford, Mercury and Lincoln. :P

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I have actually been thinking about that in the "Does America Need its Own Automakers" thread.

Ford europe is profitable and so is Ford in most of the rest of the world. Volvo makes money along with Land Rover. Their share in Mazda makes them a little money too. It is just Jaguar and the US for division that is in trouble.

Give up on domestic built Fords except for their Trucks and maybe the mustang plus one midsized sedan. Toss lincoln/mercury and the rest of Ford cars in the trash. Then either spin Jag off or use the money saved from dumping your losing domestic operations to finally fix it.
    That's pretty funny :P

Just Visiting.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I posted this in the "Is Ford's End Right Behind Chrysler's?" thread, but I'll start again :surprise:

Why can't FoMoCo take Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo, create a new entity entitled whatever they like ("Premier Automotive Group" sounds good though) and then hire an investment bank to do an IPO. Ford could retain, say, 30 or 40% ownership in the new company, while selling off the other 60-70% to either wall street or private equity. That way, Ford could raise cash to help with product development across the board and limit its Jaguar liability while still having access to Volvo/Land Rover platforms, profits, and know-how albeit on a smaller scale.

That's my favorite option; If Ford does decide to sell something outright, it should be Jaguar/Land Rover. Both brands are heavily integrated, and although Volvo is integrated with Land Rover, it is not integrated with Jaguar and the Land Rover/Volvo relationship could be easily unwound over time, with Volvo getting it's 3.2L engine back, and Land Rover getting it's Freelander 2/LR2 platform back. (along the lines of BMW/Land Rover a few years ago with the development of the Range Rover)

Volvo should be kept at all costs; it has been highly profitable over the years and Ford could benefit (and is benefiting) from the safety technology that Volvo has.

Land Rover should be kept also, but since it is integrated with Jaguar, Ford would be wise to just let go.

Any opinions on that IPO I mentioned above?
    Nice idea but who in his right mind would invest in shares of Jaguar or Rover? :sick:

Visiting Host
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I think the key would be throwing Volvo in the deal; people may not invest in Jag or Rover, but they may invest in Volvo :)

Without Volvo, I'm guessing the crowd that would buy shares would probably be the private equity crowd anyways, so why not limit them to only 60-70% of the new company?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    i also mentioned Ford selling Ford in some thread somewhere.

i think its the best option.

why sell 2 of your brands that are actually making money?? Kind of reminds me of watching the Phillies growing up. It got to the point where we'd see a good new player on the team and say, "yeah, they'll sell him soon." It seems that some companies just don't want to win.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Makes you wonder how bad off Ford thinks Jag is if they are willing to sell two profitable business units in order to get rid of it.

Obviously the domestic auto industry is more addicted to incentives then we ever thought.
    I'm certainly not a fan of lumbering SUV's, and in the day of 3, possibly 4 dollar per gallon gas, I wouldn't be waiting in line to buy a 5 ton tank just to get around in but...

I think Ford could be surprised if they marketed a Jag SUV based off the Volvo XC90 or even better the upcoming XC50 platform. I know it sounds redundant but think of it this way: call it an "T-type" for "Terrain" or something, make it about the size of an X3, five seater with reflexes of the Infiniti FX. Give it the corporate 3.5l duratec, and maybe an optional diesel like the one being developed for the next F-series. Throw everything but the kitchen sink at it, Bluetooth, ESP, RSC, Sat. Navigation, etc. Then maybe a Yamaha V8 "R" version down the road. Give it a 5/60 comprehensive warranty, all maintainence included and the overseas delivery like Volvo offers.

I don't know, sounds crazy but I think with proper updates every 2 years like the Germans, it could be a cash cow for Ford. At least bring in some kind of cash for future investments...

Just an idea.
    Sorry don't mean to insult but that is a bad idea.

People were up in arms when jag got a rebadged mondeo for the X-type with a corporate ford V6. Imagine how mad they would be if you gave Jag a SUV, something that was never supposed to happen, and then it was just a re-badged Volvo with another corporate Ford V6 engine.

Bad, bad, bad idea.

Oh and European delivery doesn't work for Jag or Land Rover because they are made in England. All kinds of liability associated with Americans unfamiliar with driving on left side of the road anyway then also driving a LHD vehicle.
    lol, yeah I thought so. All those points you made make sense, I never would have thought of them. Oh well.

But the X-type, I don't think it was a flop because it was not a "Real Jag". Hell, I remember the mags were raving about it when it was announced, and I don't remember any criticisms about using Ford underpinnings. The Mondeo was and still is a well respected sedan that had the unfortunate "dumbing down" syndrome when it came to the states as the Contour/Mystake. Plus the car was just plain dorky looking....

But the X-type seemed to have the opportunity to succeed under the same formula. I thought it was overpriced when it came out sure, but I drove a 3.0 back to back with a 328i and the car was well mannered. Only thing "too Ford" in it was the interior and switch gear. It was just too easy to pick it apart. But the S-type had that same issue as well...

I guess if Ford didn't meddle in the design and build of a new Jag SUV, it could have a chance. I know it would NEVER happen though.
    I've always had this pet theory which I know I know annoys a lot of Jaguar lovers, but I think Jaguar went astray in the 1970s--justified perhaps by the need to survive. When Jaguar abandoned its heritage as a) a sports car maker and b) an affordable car for middle-class people (not a luxury marque), by producing the XJ6 land barge, they really blew it. Yes, they made money on the XJ6 but the karma caught up with them.

Had they gone the way of Porsche, they could have had sports cars and the lux image in one basket.
    interesting theory. Only now Porsche is making SUVs and sedans. So who is following whom?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    Old Brit badged cars and nothing more than a memory to most people. If they were worth keeping why do the Germans and Americans now own them? I wasn't interested in letting Saab die enough to oppose GM buying them but now i am beginning to agree with Nippon we should simply have let them die. Rover and Jag are in the same boat. They have lost whatever personality they once had and should simply be melded into some generic brand called Car or Truck. Volvo once had a reputation for safety and dependability. Now they are not known for either. Sell them to Hyundai if someone wants the names don't mean much anymore. Yes us old times remember their glory days but much like George Foreman those days are long gone and their name is the only thing of worth. There is little chance of them gaining in value over the next few years so selling them now makes a lot of financial sense.
    Well the difference is that Porsche is a sports car maker selling SUVs and Jaguar is a sedan maker selling sedans that nobody wants.

I don't think Porsche even knows Jaguar exists, or cares. Not their competition.

Jaguar competes with Benz and Lexus and perhaps Acura. I don't think BMW buyers and Jaguar buyers cross-shop all that much (just a guess).

I certainly wouldn't want to compete with Acura, Benz and Lexus. Talk about a tough neighborhood.
    oh, i agree.

but it seemed you were saying jag, back when they WERE making sportscars, should have followed porsche and continued on that path instead of turning to sedans. yet I now see porsche kind of taking that route. you would THINK porsche won't turn their backs on the sportscars .... BUT ... I might have thought the same thing of jag if I had been around during their heyday.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...going nuts over Jaguars are women. There will sure be a lot of disappointed ladies if Jaguar goes under. I couldn't pry my girlfriend out of the XJ8 at the Philly Auto Show this past February.
    That's true what you say lemko....women in Jaguars going shopping....I'm sure it's a stereotype, but like many stereotypes, there's a grain of truth in it.

That might explain the low mileages on Jaguars. How far is the mall? Or can a Jaguar actually attain high mileage?

RE: Jaguar's Path:

Yes, I think Jaguar should have stuck to sports cars like Porsche did. Porsche STILL doesn't build a sedan after all. I think Porsche thought longterm and Jaguar short-term. Porsche went "niche" at high profit per unit, Jaguar went mass-market at low or no profit per unit sedan.

I mean, we are talking about a company that used to win LeMans when Corvette or Porsche couldn't.
    Porsche will build a sedan in a couple of years though...

The aluminum bodied XJs and XKs can get outstanding mileage when they have a chance to stretch their legs. I am sure they could do better with a more advanced engine. The AJV8 is a bit long in the tooth now.

If Ford does sell them they better retain a 20 or 30 percent interest in Jag/LR. If they don't they will truly be sorry.
    well, you can mark me down as a man who goes nuts over Jag. The new XK is gorgeous, IMHO.

I had a convertible come in yesterday. She was picking up her Range Rover and drove up in a white XK with her husband.

Man that is a stunning car.
    Yeah but have you driven them? They really don't live up to their looks at all. I was really let down by the car. I mean, it was very smooth, luxurious, fast, etc....but it's really just another Lexus SC430. It's not a sports car. I think the XKs are pretty boring for real "drivers", to be honest. Just my two cents.

Visiting Host
    I would never have thought of it as a sportscar even without driving it. Cars like that are much too heavy to be true sportscars, IMHO. I think GT is about the closest descriptor I can come up with. And I'm not sure anything comparable to it is much of a sportscar (well, except porsche, i guess). The 6-series, SC, and SL just aren't in that "sportscar" niche in my mind.

I haven't driven the new XK yet just the old XK and XKR.

The XK was never really a sports car though. A sporty GT sure but never a sports car. Even the XKR is just a very, sporty GT but again not a sports car. It needs a manual for that and a bit more edge.

Now a XKRR would be the ticket but that got killed last time around. Jag doesn't have the time or cash to do it now. Maybe another owner would help that situation.

XKRR Top gear

I know one idea that was kicked around at Jag was this...

With the demise of the X-type a smaller much more sporty coupe and roadster could be built. Platform was unknown maybe a new one maybe an older one with lots more aluminum to save weight. The engine though ohh the engine was brilliant IMO.

Take the new Volvo straight six, which can be mounted longitudinally, and put that in the coupe/roadster. Basically you get a modern E-type but take the styling in a different direction.

The Volvo version of this engine makes 235 hp and 236 torque with a fairly fat power band.

Slap some turbos on it and it makes 281 hp and 295 torque. Tell me that wouldn't make a hot, hot car.
    I killed the thread.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Jaguar Bidders Come out of the Woodwork

So how do you feel about a Russian or Indian Jag?

Oh, there's Rover rumors too - Shanghai Auto, Nanjing Auto To Merge. Nanjing recently signed an agreement with the family of Donald Healey that could see the resurrection of the Austin-Healey nameplate on future sports cars.
  • daneldanel Member Posts: 1
    it seems jaguar and land rover would always come together, but would there be any chances that each be sold separately? volvo has been independent but works well with mazda. If jaguar and land rover can't be separated, that would mean a big investment for whoever be interested in buying them. :surprise:
    my guess is whoever buys one or both would arrange some sort of a parts-buying deal in the process. For instance, continuing to buy the tooling rights, engines, and trannies from volvo for the LR2.

That way, Ford reaps all the benefit (selling surplus parts) while taking no risk (they don't have to worry about unloading the vehicles).

I would expect Ford to maintain at least a partial interest in Jaguar/Land Rover and Volvo.

There is a lot more integration between those three units with Ford then Aston Martin had.
    Were they even at the table?

Fiat not interested in Jaguar, Land Rover (Reuters)
    According to my sources the deal is done and a buyer is selected. The details are just being worked out and will be announced in the 4th quarter.
    And who is the rumored purchaser?

You can tell us. :shades:
    ok. ok. I confess! My piggy bank was overflowing.

That I can't get out of anybody and I have asked.

Then again my contacts might not even know who the purchaser is either.
    Rats, I hate it when all the insider trading tips get bottled up like that. :shades:
    Yeah doesn't it suck? :sick: :cry:

The thing is because of this pending sale almost everything is on hold. Land Rover is not offering any new programs for their cars. They are scaling back production and therefore our allocation and objectives are shrinking. It is like the whole company is on pause for 6-8 weeks.

I know Volvo is starting to go through the same thing and I am sure Jaguar is too.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Let's all guess who or where the new Land Rover is going to:
    I can't name a certain company, so I'm going to say Asia. And that includes India. How say you?
    Fiat said it was out, but may join in with Tata for a bid. Or Tata may bid alone (and still could tie in with Fiat). Jacques Nasser is a senior partner in One Equity Partners (and Cerberus is part of that outfit somehow, or they may just bid by themselves). TPG, Apollo, and Ripplewood Holdings are the other private equity firms that are supposedly bidding. Mahindra & Mahindra is the other Indian company besides Tata that is thought to be bidding.

Here's one link to help refresh your memory on potential bidders.

I think Nasser/One Equity Partners wants it the most and Nasser would be tapped to run it. He's as big a cost cutter as Nardelli at Chrysler (and about as well liked). Nasser and Ghosn are good friends so there could be a Nissan/Renault tie in there somehow too (Nissan bowed out of the bidding early).

Another fun wrinkle is that former Treasury Secretary Rubin quit the Ford board last year since Rubin is a big uppity up at Citibank, and he knew there would be a conflict of interest. (link). Citibank is financing Tata on their bid.
    I say Cerberus.
    they're playing an expensive game of monopoly. If they pick up all 3 of these together, they can start building hotels.

• davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Thanks for the links.
    Now how about this: Would selling these iconic British brands to foreign interests kill their customer base?
    Land Rover will be okay. They're famous for treking in the African safari (and american shopping malls). But Jaguar is definitely known to be a "British" car. Even though owned by Ford, they were still built in Britain. Would a foreign buyer still keep the British factories?
    The real irony would be an Indian company making cars in the former colony for sale in Britain. Does the Jag Gandhi have a nice ring to it or what? No more leather seats though - that vegetarian thing.
This discussion has been closed.