Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Key Fob is a Nuisance

wininthepineswininthepines Member Posts: 4
I've only had my Limited a week but already I've had several instances of annoyances with my key fob.

Twice I have been carrying the fob in my pocket and later found the rear hatch open. Also, I have bent over with the fob in my pocket and turned on the alarm

These buttons need to be recessed or made less sensitive.

Has anyone else experience this type of event?

Comments

• carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    You mentioned you have a Limited but not if you have the proximity key. I have the proximity feature and have not experienced anything like what you describe. Frankly, I don't think these buttons are any more sensitive than any other key fob I've owned.
  • wininthepineswininthepines Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I have the proximity feature.

Maybe I carry more stuff in my pockets than some, which impact the fob.
  • mkc99phdmkc99phd Member Posts: 5
    I have opened the rear hatch bending over once. Thankfully I was close to the car when it happened.

Mike
  • squidfishsquidfish Member Posts: 2
    have just getting a 1994 honda accord the fob was not working so put new battries in still no joy someone has told me it needs reset can anyone help ? :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You'll probably have better luck asking over in the Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance & Repair discussion.

And there may be some info you can scout out using one of the Honda links in the Online Repair Manuals guide.
  • ssvcssvc Member Posts: 12
    I have a limited with a proximity key and think this feature is FABULOUS. I have had no problems.
  • jimmyz4jimmyz4 Member Posts: 25
    A great feature. Takes getting used to, but, once you have it you wonder how you got along without it. Like the garage door opener. I love it.

Those of you that don't have it, believe me, you have to have it to understand the love affair.

One thing, when you open the door and want to say vacuum the car, you have constant beep, beep. Same beep as when you leave the key in the ignition with a "key vehicle." I queried the dealer several times and nobody could figure out how to silence the beep.

I finally figured it out - pull on the ignition switch one click toward you. You can still have the fob in your pocket, and the beep is silenced. Guess Hyundai had it figured out all the time to, but, forgot to document it.
  • perdido2keyperdido2key Member Posts: 28
    Our 08 Limited has the proximity key, with two keys (his and hers). The other day she wanted me to lock up the car at a store with my key in my pocket and her key inside the car in her purse. The car WOULD NOT LOCK as long as her key was inside the car even though my key was outside the car in my pocket.
    You MUST remove ALL keys to outside the car before the door buttons will work...
    Kinda makes sense, don't you think? I know you'll thank the system's intelligence if you ever leave the keys in the cupholder (when you think they're in your pocket) and the system won't allow you to lock the doors using the black button on the door handles.
  • gizmogirlgizmogirl Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. It has happened 4 times within one month. I go to the garage to find my trunk open. I now have several scratches and a small dimple from the the garage door. Initially I thought it was a faulty latch, however, now I think it is the key.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of hard case to put my key in. Has anyone else found a solution?
  • kdmsmkdmsm Member Posts: 5
    I have the limited the promity key is great, but the keyfob is annoying. I use to lease a ford. I got away from them because I fell in love with the veracruz. I must say Ford have hyundai beat with the security keyless entry. That keyfob is a nuisance. I have mistakenly opened my hatch about 4 times. I can't even be comfortable in a store or anyplace because I am afraid i will hit the key and open the tailgate!
  • kdmsmkdmsm Member Posts: 5
    Does Anyone know if Hyundai will address the issues with the keyfob if they get enough complaints? Perhaps re-do all keyfobs?
  • broochbrooch Member Posts: 18
    I put my fob in a small leather case and keep it in my top pocket at all times, no problems at all :)
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Hey guys, i have the 2008 Veracruz brochure, and im curious on how the key works. Does it work kind of like the Mazda CX-9 card? You just keep it in your pocket and you can turn on the engine and unlock the car etc...?
    Or do you have to insert it in the key hole to start the car?
    And also does it have remote engine start? Like GM's?
    You can insert it if you care to but keeping it in your pocket is sufficient for locking/unlocking the doors and starting the car. Personally, I don't care for Mazda's credit card sized entry system.
  • ssvcssvc Member Posts: 12
    Regarding a temporary solution to the the key fob hatch button accidentally opening the rear hatch, I am using a plastic 24 piece Eclipse gum case. The key fob fits inside perfectly. The real solution, however, is for Hyundai to program the hatch open logic so that it only opens when the key fob hatch button is depressed CONTINUOUSLY for 2-3 seconds. See message #11 in the Veracruz Limited Power Tailgate forum.
  • jbettenjbetten Member Posts: 8
    I've had a VC Limited for 1 day now and have a question about the key FOB operation. I was in the driver seat with the FOB in hand and doors unlocked (front door open). The ignition was turned so all the dash lights and radio were operational. When I pressed the rear hatch button on the FOB, the hatch didn't open. Should this work? It worked when I pressed the dash button for the rear hatch. I don't think I've had it long enough to know all of its ins and outs yet.
  • jimc16jimc16 Member Posts: 21
    My wife has had a 2008 VC Limited for 2 months and she loves it. However, several times we have gone out to the garage and found the doors locked, probably because of an inadvertent bump of the key fob in my pocket or her purse. Yesterday we had a more serious incident. We went out to the garage and pressed the button for the automatic garage door opener, but the garage door only opened half way. Apparently, the VC's rear hatch had been opened part way, about a foot or so until it hit the garage door, and we didn't notice it. Raising the garage door just made it worse because it really wedged the hatch and garage door together. Both were damaged.
  • wininthepineswininthepines Member Posts: 4
    The same thing happened to me but, fortunately, I noticed that the hatch was open before I opened the garage door.

I've had mine for 10 months and I couldn't tell you how many times that I have inadvertently opened the hatch, locked the doors or invoked the security alarm.

I hope Hyundai is working on a fix for this issue. :(
  • larrymcjlarrymcj Member Posts: 8
    Oddly, I'm experiencing just the opposite with my 2008 Veracruz, but I've only had it for a few days. I have to push the key fob tailgate button for several seconds to open the tailgate, and the button is VERY stiff to push.

They may have fixe this key fob button problem on the latest models as my Veracruz has a May 08 manufacturing date (Hyundai is known for making slight improvements like this and not even mentioning them). My Veracruz also has the new "softer" leather seats with the intentional tucks in the leather to accomplish this effect. However, I hate the look and feel of this as the one I tried before getting this brand new one off the truck had the firm, nice looking leather seats with really tightly stretch leather. The dealer is going to change out the seats with one of their older vehicles today, though.

Larry
  • ourveraourvera Member Posts: 1
    Our hatch has opened at least 5 times with damage occurring to garage door and hatch on three occasions. That remote is way too sensitive to be kept in my pocket. Is there a Hyundai fix for this?
  • 106294106294 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Veracruz for a week now. At 3.00am i received a call from my neighbor who is a sheriffs deputy, he had just come home and my hatch was open with all my stuff exposed for our road trip that morning, he thought he heard someone between the houses so he called it in. 9 cop cars including a canine arrived, they didnt find anyone. Now I know what happened after reading all these messages. Why did Hyundai instal a on/off button near the glove box to disable the tailgate? Does anyone have any idea's? Is it because of this key fob problem? i am paranoid now to even leave anything in the car, plus it may get damaged if i leave it in the garage and it opens. :confuse:
  • fpostadanfpostadan Member Posts: 22
    I have not had happen to me. I put this FOB in my pocket with other things in there like coins, my wallet, sometimes my cell phone. I go through my daily routine not minding it. Even at work where my car is near my office.

There was a post about someone else not having this happen to him. He said that his car build date was very recent, June 08 as a matter of fact. Mine is on April 08. He also said Hyundai could have fixed the problem.

When is the build date of your VC?
  • bmt1bmt1 Member Posts: 1
    The tailgate on my Veracruz Limited has opened 7-8 times when in my pocket. I spent $200 because it hits the the garage door, the door opens and catches the tailgate. The tailgate button on the smart key fob isn't indented enough to be protected it from items in a pocket or purse depressing it. The fob should be redesigned.
  • caosonncaosonn Member Posts: 3
    I lost one of my proximity keys the other day :( Not liking having only one key, I called the local Hyundai dealership and they said it would cost $150 for a replacement key and $100 to reprogram... $250 total.

Does anyone have any cheaper alternatives to get a replacement? Is that $100 reprogramming fee negotiable? I assume that's the labor cost.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
  • mhedquistmhedquist Member Posts: 8
    This is a major issue. Major design flaw. With keys in your pocket, it is easy to hit the button which detaches the keyfob from the manual key. I have had my key fob fall off 5-6 times only to catch it when it fell to the ground. This time I have lost it. Needless to say, if I have to pay 150-$250 to replace because of a horrible design, I will be seriously upset. Anybody else had problem of key fob accidently falling off? Is there a manual key solution/option for smart key systems?? Smart key concept is nice, but not at the current risk.
  • xquuzmexquuzme Member Posts: 18
    I've had the same problem. The rear hatch has opened several times from accidentally pressing the button on the remote (even though the button must be held for 2 to 3 seconds). Once it stayed open all night in a fairly public place. I've even had to go back to the parking lot at a restaurant to be sure I hadn't pressed it. I now keep my keys and remote on the end of a Kubaton stuck in my waistband instead of in my pocket.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Have not had a problem with the tailgate, ever. My wife keeps hers in her purse, mine is in my jacket pocket with my Camry smart key and a bunch of other keys. I usually have a problem setting off the alarm when trying to open the hatch. There is a 3 second hold time to open the hatch remotely. Since I seldom ever use the buttons to open the car or hatch, if this were a problem for me, I would tape a piece of card stock over the buttons.

For the previous poster, regarding pressing the button while in the car, if the ignition is on, it locks out the remote, including the door locks, just about every car that uses a remote does this. You will also not be able to open the hatch if the car is in gear. The button by the glove box disables the handle in the door, but the remote and dash button still work.

One of the nice features of this fob over the Toyota, or Mazda keys, if the battery in the fob dies, you can stick it in the ignition slot for it to work. I don't know how the Mazda one works, but the Toyota key you need to touch the Toyota emblem to the start button ring and press the start button, and it usually takes two hands to do so, I tried, isn't as easy as it looks.

I have had the doors lock on their own while in the garage though, still unknown how that happens, did it at least twice for me.
  • BarnaLloydBarnaLloyd Member Posts: 2
    My Limited was assembled in November 2007. I took delivery on February 15,2009. To activate the rear hatch I have to hold the key fob button down for 4 seconds. Any thing less and nothing happens. I cannot open the hatch by any means if the motor is running and the transmission not in park. Is this a mod?

John
    That is a safety Feature! The hatch should not be allowed to open while in gear, even if in neutral. It does open if the engine is running as long as it is in park. I thought it would be cool one day to pull in the drive and have the rear hatch opening, but found it wont open while in anything other than park. Makes sense, it would suck if you are zooming down the highway and you hit the key fob by mistake and have your rear door suddenly start to open.
  • porgerporger Member Posts: 2
    I had my 2009 Veracruz for about 2 weeks before the proximity remote detached and I lost it. As stated before, the dealer wants about $200 to provide a new fob and programming. Has anyone found a less expensive alternative?
    Probably wont for a while yet. Its hard to find wiper blades and cabin air filters, let alone the key fob.
  • pinevalleyitepinevalleyite Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone had remote start installed in their Hyundai Veracruz? My old car had a fob where when I unlocked or locked, a slight horn or chirp sounded. With my remote, only the lights flash. I brought it to the dealer's attention & he thought it had something to do with the remote start so said he'd adjust when I brought in for my first oil change. At that time they couldn't figure it out and had called Hyundai and were waiting for them to call back which they hadn't done by the time I picked the car up & said "next time." Anyone have this happen?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Try pushing the lock button twice. Our Sonata remote locks the door and flashes the lights on the first push and sounds the horn on the second push. I consider this to be a feature so that you don't startle everyone within earshot every time you lock the door.
  • pinevalleyitepinevalleyite Member Posts: 19
    Have tried that in the past and doesn't work
  • chumochumo Member Posts: 7
    Where did you find a 24 piece eclipse gum case?

Chumo
  • jonnyrocket1jonnyrocket1 Member Posts: 4
    Continuing the discussion of the separating key fob. Yes this is a hUGE problem for us. My wife used to click her keys onto her purse. That is until we went to the theater and realized that little button had been bumped and the expensive unit was laying somewhere on the theater floor!!

It has happened numerous times since. We've talked to our Hyundai dealer and he says there is no fix or any official from Hyundai. I'm thinking of grinding the button off.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The member you are looking for hasn't logged on for a few years. Please don't post phone numbers or other contact information on our forums. Thanks.
  • irishcaseyirishcasey Member Posts: 36

I have a 2009 Veracruz and my fob has just stopped working. No buttons work. Just replaced the battery, but no luck. My second key fob works normally. The second key fob just sits in the draw so it is like new. Now the obvious solution is to simply start using the second (like new) key fob. But that wouldn't be any fun! Has any one experienced a key fob that stopped working? Is there possibly a reset button? Any help appreciated. Thanks.