Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• bobselectricbobselectric Member Posts: 8
    does anyone know of a place where i can get halo projector headlamps for my 07 yaris? I think these would be great with the alteeza tail lights i've installed. :shades:
    does anyone know where i can find halo style projector headlamp kits for my 07? :shades:
  • yi5hedr3yi5hedr3 Member Posts: 20
    Just had the VIP rs3200 Toyota system installed. List $417, they gave me $350, installation 3 hours at $90/hour, but they had difficulty because they had never done a "Yaris" before, so they gave me half off on the labor. My car already had power door locks, but did not come from the factory with an "immobilizer" (where door lock buttons are actually on the key). I really like the system, but don't count on the insurance company to give a big discount (AS THEY SHOULD!!!). They told me they would discount $4.50 per 6 months!&&^&^#! :mad:
  • yi5hedr3yi5hedr3 Member Posts: 20
    I agree - Bra's are generally worse than not having one! :D
  • champ4champ4 Member Posts: 2
    someone shattered the glass on my driver's side rearview mirror, but the unit and motor still are still in good shape. i went to the dealership and bought replacement glass but i can't find the release to remove the broken glass. does anyone know the procedure or can suggest a place i should look?
  • elmo2347elmo2347 Member Posts: 1
    hi im wondering what ended up happening with replacing your key

ive also lost mine and need to replace it but right now i want to find the best deal. last time i got quoted to get everything done in the range of $300-$400 which is unbelievably steep if you ask me. :mad:

have you gotten a new one if so is this what you paid? :(
  • needakeyneedakey Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I don't know what to say. I still don't have a new key yet. I've gotten the same quoted price from the dealers here in Winnipeg. I have yet to find someone selling a used key. Seems like Toyota has the market cornered and is content to milk its customers for all it can. :mad: :sick: I am especially frustrated since I am now expecting my first child and would love to have remote lock/unlock-ing again!
    Good luck and keep me informed.
  • jwesselxjwesselx Member Posts: 4
    My dealer (Toyota of Augusta) installed one of the factory units in my car after the fact, but it was a sedan, not a hatchback...
  • ldbennettldbennett Member Posts: 9
    The sedan has an option of a crusie control from the factory. I would guess the computer for the sedan has the softwarea already in it for the cruise control while the hatchback most definitely does not. The kit I installed in my hatchback was easy to install and works great. It does not use embedded software in the cars computer but has its own computer which is inserted between the electric foot throttle controller and the rest of the cars computer systems. This entire discussion is about a 2007 and the 2008 could be different (???).

Anyway Toyota of the western USA tells me that the Yaris hatchback is an entry level car and as such has few available options compared to the sedan. They planned it that way and highly recommended against adding a cruise control regardless that the Gulf States Toyota distributor worked with the manufacturer of this cruise control for the hatchback.

LDBennett
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    Well, it started over in the Echo thread, but I wanted to get Variable spd intermittent wipers for our new '08 Yaris, since it's not even offered as an option here in the States.

After looking at the new Camry's I realized they looked the same and sure 'nuff, for those who are curious, the '08 Camry switch works in the Yaris! So, my wife is now the proud owner of one of the only Yaris with variable speed intermittent wipers.

I had a buddy at the dealer who ordered it in for me, it's regularly 150 bucks, but I got his shop price on it, so that was nice. They're a huge dealer, but they still had to get the part from Japan, since it's so new. Works and looks great though. That being said, I'm sure there are a couple totaled '08 Camry's out there already for the intrepid junk-yard explorer.

It's as easy to change out as the Echo. You remove three screws, pop the plastic housing off the steering column, and then there's a little plastic tab that hold the whole wiper switch relay onto the column. You pop it out and undo two connectors and then reverse the process with the the new switch.
    Oh, and the part # is 84652-47031 Switch, Windshield
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Thank you dake for the info. I might have to make a similar purchase and installation in the coming months.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The forums cannot be used to buy or sell items so I'm removing the posts about the armrest. Also, if you want someone to contact you at your email address please set your email to "public" in your profile and refer other users to your profile. Only registered forums users can view your profile info. Nasty spammers are always looking for email addresses in postings on message boads. No need to get unwanted mail.
  • jennsdadjennsdad Member Posts: 1
    Got our hatchback less than a week ago, in California, and the alarm/keyless entry was a dealer-installed (and warrantied) option, so it's scheduled to be installed soon. We got the S model with the Power Package, so power windows are already there.
    So it IS possible, although I'm not sure if the standard liftback would also qualify. Ask your dealer, he should know.
    as a lower cost way of getting a resolution to this problem, why don't you try an alarm shop? The car already has the mechanisms for opening the door locks, you just need a new transmitter/receiver. Generally an alarm setup is a lot less costly and will give you a reduction in your insurance bill, or possibly an installer will sell you a receiver/ transmitter that will just do the locks. :D
  • woodsie1woodsie1 Member Posts: 4
    my liftback did not come with cruise control. does anyone know if you can install cruise aftermarket and where i might find. i tried dealer and several parts stores , all said not available ?
    I don't know why the dealer would say that because you can build a Yaris Liftback with Speed Control on Toyota's website - it's a 350 dollar option. I'd try again and point this out - it may cost you more than that though since they'll charge you for parts and labor.
  • woodsie1woodsie1 Member Posts: 4
    i actually tried two dealers because i was also looking for an arm rest and the first dealer said that there was no arm rest either, i knew there is one (toyota accessory) so i called 2nd dealer. they said no to cruise and ordered me the arm rest
  • bubbles74bubbles74 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there
    Anyone know of a place, besides the dealer who quoted me $1200, where I can get a cargo/luggage cover for the Yaris?
  • johnharris82johnharris82 Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, go to LaBra on Ebay. They have a good price too. I have one of theirs on my Mercedes and it works great.
  • mgvhmgvh Member Posts: 4
    I can't find the $350 option for Speed Control anywhere on the Toyota web site for the Yaris. Are you sure it's there? I would really like to get cruise as well... Thanks.

• mgvhmgvh Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the response. I am guessing that is a regional Toyota web site (Texas?). One does not get those options when working through the national site.
    When one does choose "Speed Control" as an option, you don't get any results...
    That's strange. I start out with just Toyota.com, and then when you select "Build Your Toyota" it asks for a zip code. I can't imagine that Texas is the only state that offers speed control on the Yaris. :surprise:

I suppose you could build it from another state, print off the summary and take it to your dealer and show them that's what you want. There has to be a way for the dealer to get the components.
  • blacksandyarisblacksandyaris Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if you ever found the "speed control" for your Yaris or not, but I got one for mine last July in California. Mine is a 2007 Liftback with an automatic transmission, and I got it online at thecruisecontrolstore.com and it was part #2501796 for my particular car. I don't know if you have a 2dr hatch or a sedan, or an automatic or standard transmission, but they have cruise control for all of them. $239.95 It works like a charm, :shades: , goes right in the steering column like "factory." It's all "plug & play"
  • pod_racerpod_racer Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Yaris hatchback since June '06 and I ordered it with the 18" TRD rims with PZero's. I LOVE IT! The handling is fantastic and I get 37mpg with mixed highway/city driving consistently. I have 27,000 miles on the tires and I'm down to about 60% on the treads. I'm planning on replacing the PZero's with Hankook's that I can get through the local Toyota dealership for $165 each installed. The road noise is definitely louder and the ride is rougher, but I don't care because the car looks great and the improved handling is well worth the trade-off to me.
  • liyux2kliyux2k Member Posts: 1
    hi, so any of u guys know after alarm armed should the trunk open without sounding alarm? i got mine in the dealer im just wondering if is normal cuz my door and stuff all alarmed and shock sensor but hood and trunk is not. is it normal? :(
  • themadtruckerthemadtrucker Member Posts: 1
    I have seen a few Yaris sedans driving around that have a small wing on the trunk. I have an 07 Yaris sedan and would like to find one if anybody knows where to get one?

Also I would like to find where I could pick up the factory fog lamps?

Below is a pic I found of a Yaris the same color and style as mine with both features.

http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2006/losangeles/coverage/images/07_Toyota- _Yaris_frontangle_trs_430.jpg

Finally one last thing does anybody know if there are after market heated mirrors, I have had them in my last few vehicles and find them extremely handy in wet conditions.
  • vpc5011vpc5011 Member Posts: 3
    I went to a dealer wanting a yaris 2008 hatchback with power package/cruise control. The sales man told me it is included in the power package. He ordered a hatchback and I went to check it out at the dealer and there were no cruise control. The dealer than had to pay out of his pocket (or so he says) to get it installed because he lied. He told me that I had to pay for the car inorder for him to order the part. So I did and he said it would be in about 2 or 3 days. Then, he calls me and says the part wont be there for another 3 weeks. Today is the day he said it would be all set. I call and he says he has no clue now when it will be done. I demanded to speak to his manager. I spoke to the parts manager and his manager. The parts manager says for base hatchback, the Toyota company does not make the part for it. So, they have to order all the parts and put it together themselves. But, the parts manager has to order piece by piece overseas because there is no pieces in the US.

I don't know what to do. Should I tell them not to order the part and substitute for free 7 years warranty? I am afraid of them touching the car and doing something they never did before. The cruise control was written into the contract so it has to be delivered or i can take them to court.

By the way only the Sport 2008 ones have cruise control in the power package and the 2007 ones have it.

:sick:
  • jetfirekjetfirek Member Posts: 16
    I went to buy a Yaris today and they were sold out. I then ordered the sports Yaris and my grandson put every option they had on it except I said NO LOUD TAIL PIPES, NO BLUE LIGHTS ON THE FLOOR.. The car came to over 19,000 and I think I am going to love it...

It does have from factory the intermitted wipers and I think is standard on this S model. Has every option they offered...I forgot to get the arm rest so will call to add it on tomorrow ..do you have the arm rest? It looks petty unstable or like it is an add on? let me know please...thanks in advance
    The arm rest is quite stable in ours. It gets in the way of the emergency brake a little bit, but you get used to it's position pretty quickly and it's not really a factor.

Yeah, the Yaris has intermittent wipers but not variable speed intermittent wipers which is what we were talking about earlier. So, you can't choose between slow, slower and slowest. You just get the one spd which always seem to be just slightly not what the weather requires. :D
  • commuter9commuter9 Member Posts: 2
    I installed a Rostra on my 2007 hatchback. I commute 100 miles a day and really appreciate it. For eBayers, Courtesy Toyota of Tampa has a listing under Yaris for the Rostra CC at $225 plus $12 shipping. The parts are warranteed for one year by Toyota, since it is listed as an OEM part. You can get the install manual from the Rostra web site tech support page. It was practically a no-brainer, but finding some of the components, especially the transaxle connector took me awhile. The pictures are basically lousy. Be sure to slide the control switch's pins in according to the color swatches on the plug. The blue from the switch goes in at the blue swatch but connects to the orange wire of the control module. The squeeze on wire connectors are a pain, must use pliers, and I suggest after you install and it is working correctly, you go back and solder them. If you have big hands, you are going to get scratched up (if you have small hands, you are going to get scratched up). This is the fourth cruise control I have installed in a vehicle, and it was the easiest. No vacuum hoses or servos to fool with and find places under the hood for. Also, no need to take out the fender liner, as the instructions say. Just jack up the left wheel and pop the front liner button off, then bend back the liner to feed the red wire through. I cut it and pushed it through the fender well grommet impaled on an icepick into the cabin, then used a crimp connector. Much, much easier. Most of the wiring is too long, so you have to cram it and wedge it out of sight. Double stick pads don't hold on the control module, so I used epoxy puddy, instead. Oh, by the by, if you don't already know, the Yaris radio does not have a security code, ("entry level car", remember?), so ignore the instruction to write it down. Finding a good spot for the control switch on the column is a slight problem. Your knee might hit it, if you install as recommended. I moved mine back. I can't see it, because of the steering wheel, but I still know it is there :-). They can try to shame us by saying the Yaris is an entry level car, but with the money I am saving on gas, I am literally getting it for free. I have kept my much loved 2001 Trooper 5 speed, and it's 16 MPG to use as a workhorse and swamp buggy.

The Swamprat Commuter
  • commuter9commuter9 Member Posts: 2
    I installed a Rostra on my 2007 hatchback. I commute 100 miles a day and really appreciate it. For eBayers, Courtesy Toyota of Tampa has a listing under Yaris for the Rostra CC at $225 plus $12 shipping. The parts are warranteed for one year by Toyota, since it is listed as an OEM part. You can get the install manual from the Rostra web site tech support page. It was practically a no-brainer, but finding some of the components, especially the transaxle connector took me awhile. The pictures are basically lousy. Be sure to slide the control switch's pins in according to the color swatches on the plug. The blue from the switch goes in at the blue swatch but connects to the orange wire of the control module. The squeeze on wire connectors are a pain, must use pliers, and I suggest after you install and it is working correctly, you go back and solder them. If you have big hands, you are going to get scratched up (if you have small hands, you are going to get scratched up). This is the fourth cruise control I have installed in a vehicle, and it was the easiest. No vacuum hoses or servos to fool with and find places under the hood for. Also, no need to take out the fender liner, as the instructions say. Just jack up the left wheel and pop the front liner button off, then bend back the liner to feed the red wire through. I cut it and pushed it through the fender well grommet impaled on an icepick into the cabin, then used a crimp connector. Much, much easier. Most of the wiring is too long, so you have to cram it and wedge it out of sight. Double stick pads don't hold on the control module, so I used epoxy puddy, instead. Oh, by the by, if you don't already know, the Yaris radio does not have a security code, ("entry level car", remember?), so ignore the instruction to write it down. Finding a good spot for the control switch on the column is a slight problem. Your knee might hit it, if you install as recommended. I moved mine back. I can't see it, because of the steering wheel, but I still know it is there . They can try to shame us by saying the Yaris is an entry level car, but with the money I am saving on gas, I am literally getting it for free. I have kept my much loved 2001 Trooper 5 speed, and it's 16 MPG to use as a workhorse and swamp buggy.

The Swamprat Commuter
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I have to say that your signature there would be a PERFECT title for a blog on your CarSpace page...

The Swamprat Commuter

Really has a ring to it. if you need any help or have any questions about setting up your blog on your CarSpace page just click on my username and drop me an email. I'll be happy to help you get going in the right direction.
  • cathy8cathy8 Member Posts: 37
    I'm in Canada and just purchased a 2008 Yaris 5 door hatchback. I got the cruise for an extra $450 installed but the control stick is so short that I can't see it when I'm driving! It hides behind the steering wheel. Does anyone know of a fix for this?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No simple fix, it is what it is. If it's the traditional Toyota (also used by other carmakers) cruise stalk, its operation is pretty logical. So my advice is, study it carefully and get used to operating it by feel. As you are leaning how to use it, you might find it helpful to make a little drawing of it with the operations clearly labeled, and tape that to the dash where you can see it easily.
    I like the idea about taping a pic to my dash. Thanks. I've been doing some Internet research and my cruise looks exactly like the Rostra cruise. I had been told that I would be getting genuine Toyota cruise but it doesn't seem like that's what I got. I'll have to ask tomorrow when the dealership is open again.

Thanks for the response.
  • bobaloubobalou Member Posts: 1
    Contact 3M at 1-8003MHELPS. They should be able to answer your question.
    Thanks for the number.
  • kchaneykchaney Member Posts: 4
    yea! get a feel for your car! and don't take your eyes off the road.
  • kchaneykchaney Member Posts: 4
    oh, man, you ain't'a kiddin! bug city! are they makin the bra yet? my wife's won't fit.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • awadawad Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a Yaris Sedan, and the dealer here in Oman doesnt know what is the kit number. So since you have installed it on your car can you please provide the Kit number?

thanks alot
  • jcammaratajcammarata Member Posts: 1
    I have new '09 Yaris and would like to dress it up a bit. Can anyone help me with a few locations for parts and accessories?
    Check out Yarisworld.com for a great community dedicated to the yaris
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    You are out of your mind if you let some IDIOT install an alram on your Yaris. First of all...no one is going to steal a Yaris! An alarm isnt going to stop them even if they do! But most importantly the installation is quite likely to screw up your car! These installers are not exactly highly paid genious's! I dont know how many times I have seen alarms cause all kinds of probelms, mostly due to faulty installation.
    Well, you were warned!
  • jbjinturnerjbjinturner Member Posts: 3
    How to change 2008 Yaris 3DR keykess entry to unlock all doors with one press of the unlock button? Shpuld be a combination of button pushes.
    Just push the button twice - first time unlocks the driver's door, second time unlocks the rest.
  • girlcarbuildergirlcarbuilder Member Posts: 225
    We just purchased a hatchback with a cruise on it. I recognized the unit immediately. It is a Rostra control unit. If you have limited electronics skills, do not have the service manuals manuals and/or never installed a cruise control. Do not attempt this job. I have all three mentioned above and I have thought twice knowing what I know given warranty headaches. The selling dealer in Houston added $300 for the cruise, but he was under a lot of pressure to get us there from Baton Rouge.
  • subatubasubatuba Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Yaris hatchback. I'm having trouble opening the trunk. I turn the key counterclokwise but nothing seems to happen. Am I missing something? I have keyless entry.

Also, could someone explain to me the difference between the D gear and the 3 gear? When do I use 3? I have never owned a manual so don't know much about differences in gear shifting.

Much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.