Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MX-5 Miata 2008

Comments

• Options
    wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    (Unfortunately this car is creating a classic seller's market and even the best weapon you have, threatening to walk away, does not carry the same impact. The dealer knows that someone else will come along shortly. The phrase "take it or leave it" can come into play here.)
    I toatlly agree,I don't know how I was able to get mine at "S" plan pricing,I know and was told they would sell this for over MSRP if I didn't want it,but they stuck to their word. I was told they would sell it for $100. over MSRP
  • Options
    ufomx5ufomx5 Member Posts: 4
    Hmm. Well now maybe I should just cross my fingers and be thankful if I get the car at all. All this distrust and stress kind of detracts from my daily fantasizing about owning this car. Oh well, might as well keep the faith. :) Thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    destrydestry Member Posts: 58
    I was able to get mine at invoice price and was lucky that they had one forsale on the showroom floor. I grabbed it and drove it home that day! I have nothing bet great things to say about this roadster. Zoom-Zoom :shades:
  • Options
    Keep the FAITH....You'll have it before you know it and will fall in love with it. Zoom-Zoom
  • Options
    miatamama1miatamama1 Member Posts: 41
    What is S Plan pricing?

Speaking of prices paid...I went to several dealers. None of them would budge off of retail on GT PRHT. One even told me that some dealers were asking $1K over invoice.
  • Options
    PS...meant $1K over RETAIL (not enough coffee this morning) :)
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    I'm sure you will get the car,especially if you put money down on it. And they are a blast, took mine for 7 hours worth of winding,S turn,Zig Zaging,up hill & donhill country roads this past weekend,after it my wife and I were talking about how compfortable we were, we did stop about 4 times along the way. :D
  • Options
    I got "S" plan through my brother-in-law who belongs to the Windy City Miata club and is able to get up to 2 cars a year on this plan, I think Aviboy97 could probably explain better than me as it sounds to me like he is a car dealer or owns a Mazda dealership,there is another plan for Mazda corporate also with better deals. The "S" plan saved me 2K on the car,no other dealer in my area was excepting that on PRHT's, I got lucky I think. I am thinking of joining that club as they get other discounts as well.
  • Options
    I can't believe you got such a deal. I paid sticker (and bitterly complained about it). But I am not looking back....it's my new hobby!
  • Options
    I here ya, I would have paid full if I had to,its a great hobbie,enjoy
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    S Plan is a discount program for Mazda. S Plan is invoice for any Mazda vehicle. Many companies and Mazda clubs (MX-5, RX-7) qualify for the S Plan, such as IBM, Verizon, AT&T etc (there are hundreds of companies that qualify). So, if you are an emplyoee of a company that participates in the Ford Partner Buying Program, you qualify for the S Plan discount through Mazda.

Personally, I do not accecpt S Plan on PRHT MX-5's, but, I will on rag top MX-5's. The PRHT's are just too rare, and I know I can make MSRP on every one. I do not charge an ADM on them. MSRP will do just fine.
  • Options
    How do I add the picture?? I have it on my desk top
  • Options
  • Options
    gputzgputz Member Posts: 49
    ....So, if you are an emplyoee of a company that participates in the Ford Partner Buying Program, you qualify for the S Plan discount through Mazda.....

I believe this would actually be an X-Plan discount. S/A/D-Plans are Ford/Mazda employee discounts.
  • Options
    Mazda falls under the Ford Partner Recognition Program. S Plan is Mazda, employees of Mazda qualify for E Plan. X/A/Z Plans are for Ford.
  • Options
    hondas2khondas2k Member Posts: 9
    I see you went ahead and posted the image even though Mazda said in the PDF

Note: MC design model and is not 100% product correct.
    MNAO version is LHD, does not have a side marker lamp and there are no alloy foot pedals.
  • Options
    That is the closest pic out, and there are people interested in the vehicle. That is why I posted it. I believe earlier I also described that it was a RHD car. However, the color scheme and wheels are what is going to be produced.
  • Options
    where is the pic of the car?
  • Options
    Sorry, where is th pick?
  • Options
    Click on my Carspace profile, and you will see it there.
  • Options
    "That is the closest pic out, and there are people interested in the vehicle. That is why I posted it. I believe earlier I also described that it was a RHD car. However, the color scheme and wheels are what is going to be produced."

I think we can easily visualize the North American/LHD version of the car based on these pics. Mazda should have released the final pics by now anyway. I was nice to see SOMETHING.
  • Options
    That is why I posted it. I was the only one here who knew anything about it.

I had a woman purchase one last week. This was the pic I showed her. I cannot imagine the car will differ too much from what you see.
  • Options
    bodegabodega Member Posts: 4
    I did not get the Run Flats option but I wish I had. Driving around with no spare tire takes some getting use to.
  • Options
    I had read on one of the Mazda sites(can't remember which one)that they were going to have a Speed version this year,I have a friend who is waiting to purchase one if they come out,the article said an'08 1/2,have you heard anything about it? and might it be the Ice Blue?
  • Options
    "I did not get the Run Flats option but I wish I had. Driving around with no spare tire takes some getting use to."

You can buy a Mazda3 spare from a junkyard (I got mine from Ebay). That spare will work perfectly on the car and fit in the trunk. You will still have to deal with storing the old (flat) tire which will not fit completely in the trunk. Some have suggested a ratcheting tie-down strap will compress the flat so that it does fit in the trunk - at least until you get to a garage. Just another option.

The run flats have NOT been well-received by many buyers. They are hard-riding and EXPENSIVE.

More info: http://tinyurl.com/3xkc42
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    FWIW, last time I went to the county landfill, they had a huge pile of donut spares there up for grabs.

Figure out the sizes that would work, and the lug pattern (4x100, 5x100, 5x113, etc). Take a measuring tape, and I bet you can find one that fits. Best of all it's free, plus you are helping re-cycle that donut.

May be worth a look.
  • Options
    I have heard the rumor of a new Mazdaspeed MX-5 as well. Apparently, Mazda is working on one. I have no official details, or pictures of any kind. No one in Mazda's hierarchy will confirm the rumors, either. But, I keep pressing!
  • Options
    Autoweek, a reliable source, said the following:

MX-5 Miata: A race package arrives this fall, but racers must wait until mid-2008 for a MazdaSpeed edition. The MazdaSpeed version's 2.3-liter turbo loses some horsepower in packaging the intercooler and larger radiator. A redesign is planned for the 2010 model year when the car must comply with new 2011 rear-offset collision standards.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070821/FREE/70820007/1024/l- atestnews
  • Options
    For vehicle to reach the U.S., it takes 14-16 weeks from when an order is processed. Right now, the orders I have just placed, won't be processed until Nov 1st. I do not expect to see them until February/March. Unless I see any info about ordering them soon, I would say we won't see a Mazdaspeed MX-5 in 2008
  • Options
    manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Black can get hot if you leave the car with the top down in the sun for a while - otherwise no problem...
  • Options
    Saw this special edition originally on the Mazda Japan site.

I want these wheels now :) but I can't find them anywhere...

Sweet BBS Wheels for MX-5
  • Options
    Those are some very nice rims, wouldn't mind a set of my own
  • Options
    Don't get much snow were I'm at but we do get a little,I want to get a set of rims and all season tires for mine,am I going to have a problem with the tire pressure monitors when I do this, or am I going to need to get a set of those for the new wheels and tires ?
  • Options
    You should mount dedicated winter tires on another set of wheels - so you can optimize for winter and summer driving. I have been doing this for years on my 5-series cars (and others). Wheels are pretty cost effective on the Tire Rack. And even the dedicated winter tires now have pretty decent handling without excessive tire noise. I have owned Michelin Alpins and now Dunlop Winter Sports.

I just priced out a set of Blizzaks and 16" wheels for $750 (assuming you have a 2006+ MX-5). It will cost you at least $20 a wheel to re-mount and re-balance every time you change tires. So 4 * $20 * 2 times a year = $160 annually. You could easily change the wheels yourself if you had 2 sets. With the wheels costing $344 of the $750, payback on the wheel purchase is 2 years - by eliminating the tire changing costs. So this makes it a no brainer :D
  • Options
    Thats a good plan, on my '08 MX-5 there is that tire pressure monitoring system, with new rims & tires is that system going to be affected, I can deal with a light on the dash but I don't want to here an alarm, unless it goes on and off quickly, they have a radio transmitting system and not sure how it will react
  • Options
    I would just call the service department and ask if you can mount another set of wheels...
  • Options
    I put the same question to the dealer I bought the car from this morning and he suggested the same thing,I think I'll stop by there tomorrow and chat with them,its a Mazda, BMW dealership, I always love to look at the toys they have there anyway... :)
  • Options
    To any one it may concern,I am going to purchase a set of wheels and seasonal tires for winter, By changing wheels and tires I was told by the service dept. at the dealer,a light for the TPMS will stay on,on the dash,the alarm might go on but will turn off right away,or you can have the monitors switched from the originals and put into the new set,or you can purchase a new set of TPM's for a little over $200.00. That is what I was told, I will be trying it out soon W/out the monitors.
  • Options
    ufomx5ufomx5 Member Posts: 4
    I am pleased to say that yesterday I visited my Mazda dealer and came away with a signed purchase agreement. I was also able to test drive a manual NC for the first time. My original test drive was in an automatic because that's all they had on the lot at the time. After the manual test drive and with the re-assuring purchase agreement tucked safely away, I'm as stoked as I've ever been for this car. All my life I've been a big fan of classic roadsters and as a kid I dreamed of owning an MG or Triumph. Practicality and budget has ruled when buying cars up till now so this will be my first drop top. Being from the extremely wet north Oregon coast, a soft top was never an option but when I found the PRHT the whole idea became viable. The fact that the MX-5 NC styling presses my roadster buttons like no other car (I think the NC's styling is near perfect, the Solstice is cool but tries too hard in my opinion)and that it is so highly rated for dependability and consumer satisfaction leaves me with zero reservations about buying it. This is by far the most exciting car I've ever bought.:D Well, two months down and approximately two months to go.......
  • Options
    :) Congrats,I feel the same way about the roadsters, when I was a kid all I did was build models of the triumph's and MG's, and to have a '68 Corvette would be nice,I love my PRHT, its 4 weeks old now and have had no problems what so ever.Good decision against the Solstice,I almost went that way until I read all the problems the car was having(only was going that way because of the wait for the MX-5)I'm glad I waited.The 2 months will gone in no time :D
  • Options
    I started dreaming about a roaster when I was 14. I used to get up early in the morning before the sun came up and run down the street and sit in an MG that always sat on the street with the top down. Nobody was around and I could pretend it was MY car. Now, almost 40 years later, I finally got one. The thing that really sealed the deal for me was the PRHT. I have had the car for 5 weeks and it's an absolute joy. The first week it felt like I was driving somebody ELSE's car. The car has become my new hobby.....I am always looking for new places to take it.

ENJOY!
  • Options
    I remember riding in a friend's '69 MG Midget in the summertime and that was all I needed to get roadster fever...
  • Options
    Congrats.

I really like the Solistice's styling but I can't get over the fact that you can't fold the top without getting out the car. Deal killer to me.
  • Options
    Sure is a beautiful car!!!
  • Options
    Yep.

I've noticed a lot of creases on the tops, so I wonder how well sealed they are.

I should test drive one for the heck of it, now that demand has cooled.
  • Options
    I read a few horror stories(reviews) about the tops,and the folks who wrote them weren't happy,I'm sure they will work the bugs out someday..
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Time again for our weekly gathering of enthusiasts! Maybe we should make tonight a costume chat! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    A large Mazda dealer(We bought an '07 Mazda 3 from them last year) in my area shows on their website as having 5 '08 MX-5 PRHT's- 2 GTs one auto, one man.- 2 touring's one auto, one man.and 1 sport man.they also show 5 '07 MX-5 PRHT's- 2 GTs one auto, one man.-2 touring's one auto,one man.and 1 sport man.Not one will list a color of the car. It kinda makes me wonder...
  • Options
    I would take that with a grain of salt. I have seen dealer websites where they show much more than you stated, but when you can, they have a couple. I don't know if it's illegal but it's certainly unethical. The internet is only one tool.
This discussion has been closed.