Options

GMC Yukon Differential Questions

westtx4wheelerwesttx4wheeler Member Posts: 1
I am needing to change out the bearings in the rear differential and I cannot figure out how to take off the limited slip mechanism. None of the local Auto Stores seem to have a schematic of that, all they have is for the positract differential. Where can I get a blown up view of how to take that off...?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    For a few bucks you could try here:

http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html
  • Options
    freebird7freebird7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 GMC Yukon 4x4 that needs the rearend replaced.
    I am considering removing the existing rearend and installing a rearend from either a 1999 or 2004 GMC Denali, which have the same gear ratio and same 8-1/2" ring gear size. Are either of these rearends compatible with the 2001 Yukon rearend?
  • Options
    surfnakedsurfnaked Member Posts: 3
    GMC Yukon XL Rear Differential's are poorly built, and should be recalled! Already rebuilt mine twice! Only problem I ever had next to the steer box, which as a recall item on 2002.
  • Options
    svigilsvigil Member Posts: 5
    I have a problem with my 2004 Yukon XL Denali – Once and awhile the Drivers side AC will blow hot air while the others are blowing cold. I was told this was a problem with the actuator. However there are 3 for this Vehicle (Air Inlet, Mode, and Temperature) Will replacing this fix the problem or is it something different.
  • Options
    donnieb233458donnieb233458 Member Posts: 3
    I too have a 2002 Yukon Denali XL. We have been having problems with the vehicle for over a year and many service departments and mechanic's have looked at this problem for us and we still have the same problem. When the vehicle heats up and we turn it either direction, it will shake, bounce and make a horrible noise.

The most recent solution we were told today was from a former GMC mechanic who drove our vehicle and told us that he believed the plates in the differential were heating up and sticking together causing the problem when we attempt to turn the wheel. He said that we should add a friction additive to the differential and this should fix the problem. He said that GMC knew about this problem and that this was their solution to the problem.

Like I said he left in 2001 and said he was pretty certain that this could be the problem. I attempted to purchase the friction additive and I was told that it was not a limited slip differential. I am just looking for answers. Is this limited slip? Does it have the plates he was referring to? and can we add this additive? or do you have a possible fix idea?

Thank You
  • Options
    donnieb233458donnieb233458 Member Posts: 3
    I have posted some questions regarding my 2002 Yukon Denali XL and the problems it has been having for 15 months. AVENUE CHEVROLET in Batavia, Illinois attempted to fix this vehicle under warranty and ended up damaging the vehicle which was proven by another GMC dealership. The BBB did not help me. GM Corporate which you will see listed on this site (Mariah) for help failed to help me. All you can do is find a good an honorable dealership (Haggerty GMC, Villa Park, IL) to maybe assist you and then go to a lawyer. GM Corporate received their government bailout and who cares about the consumer. I was told it doesn't matter to them if I buy their vehicles. I am also attempting to use the power of the press in my local area if nothing else to get the word out about GM Corporate and AVENUE CHEVROLET. Your best bet is to get good honest reports from this remarkable site and to use my suggestions above. Just trying to help the consumer.
  • Options
    lrisuccilrisucci Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever get an answer to your problem? My 2002 has the exact same problem.
  • Options
    fze22fze22 Member Posts: 1
    I also had the same problem. they thought I was crazy because it never happened to them. It is a recall only if it happens I was told. It is the viscus clutch in the transmission. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    crgmncrgmn Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Car has a 5.3L engine with 3.08 differential. I am towing a boat that weighs 5000 lbs, excluding trailer. I am upgrading the differential and the guy that is doing it suggested I go to a 4.10 rather than a 3.74. I am concerned that the vehicle's non-towing performance (fuel and top-end speed) will suffer. This is our go-to vehicle for highway driving and on long trips. I have no mechanical expertise and want to make sure I have enough towing capacity to pull the boat, but not substantially more than I will ever need. Would like some advice.
  • Options
    ando4ando4 Member Posts: 2
    I have changed out the front drive shafts,, No luck
    I have changed out the front beardings... No Luck
    I Have changed the fluid in the front differential.. No Luck
    I had the fluid changed in the Transfer case... No Luck...
    I checked the brakes for anything binding.. No luck
    I replaced the upper steering shaft... No Luck...
    I did find a post like mine where it was fine cold but after about 15 to 20 miles it started to make the noice when turning left or right.. forwards or back.

That post said it was probably the viscus clutch in the transfer case...

Anyway I took the vehicle into the shop so they could have the transfer case sent out to a local bearing shop for rebuild...
    They said the clutches we shot... and almosted welded together... About a $1200 rebuild cost + labor and fluid.. but at least the mystery is over... Now we can go into a parking lot and park without any issue...

Oh by the way my Yukon had 180K miles on it but drove it about 40K miles trying to figure this riddle out...
    I hope that helps out...
  • Options
    haronbluejeansharonbluejeans Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 yukon xl when i put the truck in gear it makes this loud sledgehammer noise in the rear driver side tire it vibrates hard cant move the truck. Was told by my uncle it could be my rear end..please help :confuse:
  • Options
    4xtank4xtank Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to find out what OEM transfer case will fit in a 2001 Yukon xl Denali without having to take out the old one first to read the tag. Anyone have the answer?