Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Black Box Data Recording

2»

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    True but mainstream cars already have lots of black box tech. And many are logging more than just the last ten seconds of a sensor reading before a crash I bet.
  • Options
    "Try as you may to protect your privacy while driving, it's only going to get harder. The government is about to mandate installation of black-box accident recorders, a dumbed-down version of those found on airlines — that remember all the critical details leading up to a crash, from your car's speed to whether you were wearing a seat belt. The devices are already built into 96% of new cars.

Plus, automakers are on their way to developing "connected cars" that constantly crank out information about themselves to make driving easier and collisions preventable.

Privacy becomes an issue when data end up in the hands of outsiders who motorists don't suspect have access to it, or when the data are repurposed for reasons beyond those for which they were originally intended."

Tell-all cars put your driving business out in the open (Detroit Free Press)
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,215
    Make driving easier...the dumbing down continues.

I am sure law enforcement and the public sector in general can be trusted to behave ethically and responsibly with such data.

And even with such data, the bozos still won't sequence lights properly, just wait.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Just don't let your wife's divorce attorney get a hold of your black box. :blush:
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    edited March 2013
    Don't most cars and trucks contain EDR (Event Data Recorders) nowadays anyways? It it usually part of the air bag deployment system. I know my 2005 Dodge truck has one (the truck came with a separate notice to that effect), as does my 2009 Infiniti.

Does anyone know of any recent (last 5 years or so) behicles that don't have an EDR in them?

Ooops, sorry, just reread and saw your 96% figure.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

"A government report finds that major automakers are keeping information about where drivers have been — collected from onboard navigation systems — for varying lengths of time. Owners of those cars can’t demand that the information be destroyed. And, says the U.S. senator requesting the investigation, that raises questions about driver privacy.

The agency said privacy advocates worry location data could be used to market to individuals and to “track where consumers are, which can in turn be used to steal their identity, stalk them or monitor them without their knowledge. In addition, location data can be used to infer other sensitive information about individuals such as their religious affiliation or political activities.”

Carmakers keep data on drivers' locations (Detroit News)

In other news, Acura has just announced the new NSA to bookend their NSX model.

• Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited January 2014

@Stever@Edmunds said:

Tell-all cars put your driving business out in the open (Detroit Free Press)

"Continue reading in our paid archive" Not bloody likely..

edit..but good post at 1031am, thanks

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,215

Good one. Will it be heinously overpriced and underperforming, just like the real NSA? ;)

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    In other news, Acura has just announced the new NSA to bookend their NSX model.

• Options

@crkyolfrt, funny that the link shows up "in the archives" for you since it was just posted today. Must be one of those "Canadian taxes" we're dumping on you.

• Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

Must be.. :(

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Just don't let your wife's divorce attorney get a hold of your black box

Sadly, I think you hit the nail on the head. The Judicial branch runs this country now, not Congress or the White House. It won't be long before lawyers and judges abuse the intent of these devices and rules and turn it into a litigation spying tool. They really don't care what Congress or the President actually signed into law. The Judicial system knows better than them and continually misapplies or misuses legislation to suit there own whims. More litigation means more money for lawyers and more judgeships opening up. Self serving arrogance!