Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• Options
    nascartrashnascartrash Member Posts: 33
    that is from shipping,that was part of a protecive plastic door panel cover,at the pre delivery inspection the person did not remove the protector compleatly..........
  • Options
    cfbendercfbender Member Posts: 3
    OK, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. What is the best way to remove the cord then? If I pull harder, will it just come out? Or should I just try to trim it flush with the door panel?

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    OK, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. What is the best way to remove the cord then? If I pull harder, will it just come out? Or should I just try to trim it flush with the door panel?

Thanks for your help!

Have you considered taking it to the dealer to ask them what it is?

I would hate to see someone cut off a part that might be integral in keeping water out of some area of the car.

I have had plenty of poor seals over the years and it SUCKS.

• Options
    vncoffmanvncoffman Member Posts: 18
    I'm 5'6" (average height for a female, in other words) and I *hated* the seat. It's the only reason I'm not considering one. Some non-adjustable seats fit me just fine, but this is not one of them. I could see and steer fine, but it just *felt* too low. I was very uncomfortable.
  • Options
    tonkstonks Member Posts: 12
    I've recently taken up backpacking and have discovered the Fit is the perfect vehicle for such a pursuit. On the way to the trailhead (and back) we simply pop up the back seats into "tall" mode and put our backpacks behind the driver's and passenger's seats. For the trip home, we use the hatch area (with cargo tray) to air out our sleeping bags and tents. On a recent trip, a number of fellow hikers (one driving an SUV, the other driving an Accord) were rather envious of the Fit's capacity.
  • Options
    shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    I've covered the light with red lens tape, and it stays on while I'm packing to go home at 4 a.m. But I don't need it to be on when I'm unpacking, or otherwise. So I still pull it out to connect it to power when I need to use it. I really wish I could replace the bulb (as far as I can tell it won't come out) with an LED - a red LED - or that there was a switch.
  • Options
    shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    I'm 5' 10" and I have slept in the back on a cot. Rear seats down, of course, and the driver's seat all the way forward. Very comfy!
  • Options
    kelkel83kelkel83 Member Posts: 1
    Can You tell me , Where u bought the Honda Fit Seat covers?
    Please!
  • Options
    soonerdalsoonerdal Member Posts: 8
    I bought coverking seat covers here
    http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/category?cat=CAT_SEAT&session_id=f486cff43cb2f8b18f- f2e5119ba42c88

I am very happy with them, I bought the leatherette. They were easy to install.
  • Options
    jethadenjethaden Member Posts: 36
    I bought mine from www.car-truck-accessories.com back in Sep 2006. I went through the coverking web page www.coverking.com/buynow.html to their gold dealers/distributors and selected the one which seemed biggest. In all cases, they appear to be made to order and dropped shipped direct from coverking.
  • Options
    tanya4tanya4 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a honda fit and am having back major issues related to driving comfort. My old car is an '96 civic, so I am not used to having, nor was not expecting a luxury ride, but something about the way I sit in the fit is giving me lower back pain and back spasms.
    If you have had any issues like mine, even if not as severe, please call and register and official complaint.
    Call: Honda Motor Company at 1-800-1009, press option 5 to report a problem with your vehicle or dealership and have your VIN ready. It only takes a few minutes to call.
  • Options
    2tallformyfit2tallformyfit Member Posts: 5
    HI,, I'm having the same problem,, I think you missed some numbers in the Honda Motor number. Do you think they would actually respond or do anything? I can't use my car for anything over 20 minute trips. I tell everyone I can about it so it would be nice if I had a happy ending to my story.
  • Options
    nthomasnthomas Member Posts: 40
    I had the same problem, but have remedied it myself with a little extra padding in certain places underneath a seat cover that I bought. It's not the most convenient thing in the world, but I love the car, and am not willing to give it up for that. It took a little while to figure out what worked best for me, but now I'm nice and comfy. I added some lumbar support, and some padding under the back part of my behind where the 2 parts of the seat come together.

I kinda doubt that Honda will do much if anything about it. Every car is not going to be comfortable for every person; it's just not possible. Just my 2¢ worth.
  • Options
    lalambertlalambert Member Posts: 2
    Shortly after I had bought my Fit in mid-March, I had sent American Honda Motor Co. a 2-page letter expressing my disappointment with my new car. I explained the discomfort that I felt driving the car. And, I mentioned this forum in particular so that they would know that the problem was not just mine.

About 2 weeks later, I did get a reply. It was a letter thanking me because "it is not often that people take the time to bring their concerns to our attention as you have done". I "provided valuable feedback to assist" their engineers for "future guidelines".

They then said that "no car can be designed to fit all people" and that they "do recommend that all prospective owners test drive the vehicle they are interested in extensively to determine the vehicle's comfort and proper fit."

I 'appreciate' their "appreciation", but that does not make my Fit any more comfortable to drive, does it?

What has helped some is the padded seat cushion that I bought in the auto dept. at wal-mart; And, I placed 4 foam pads-the kind that you use for upholstery-in pillow cases and duct-taped them together to place beneath that wal-mart seat cushion. Elegant, huh!! But, it does change the angle that I sit at enough that I don't ache in the hip,leg, and back as much as I used to.

I'm still not happy with the "fit" of the car. But, I think that I can live with it; I certainly can't afford to sell it and buy something else right now. A new car was a hard enough accomplishment for me anyway.

If anyone is interested, the address for American Honda Motor Co. is:

1919 Torrance Blvd
    Torrance, Ca 90501-2746
  • Options
    Sorry, I guess I missed some numbers when I posted my message providing the number for honda motor company to complain about the seat comfort issue. The number is 1-800-999-1009, press 5 to report a problem with your vehical or dealership, have your vin ready.
  • Options
    Should we start a lawsuit or something, I am needing to make an apointment to see a chiropractor or someone soon. I think this seat is causing permenant damage to my back and I am starting to get scared about how it will affect my life.
  • Options
    viamedeviamede Member Posts: 26
    If you are in that much discomfort then please just sell your car. You will not lose much in reselling a Honda, especially one in demand as much as this car is. Whatever loss has to be better than incurring medical bills or being in pain from the discomfort of the car. It is small car with firm seats and a fairly firm ride...not everyone will be comfortable in such a car.

A lawsuit over uncomfortable seats? Puhleeze....
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Should we start a lawsuit or something,

This is why we pay so much for health insurance!
  • Options
    keatingrkeatingr Member Posts: 2
    How did you do it? Did you build another track on top of the original Fit track? How did you keep the new track securely in place over the original track? I have also been unable to get any dealer or body shop to work on it for me. They say it is illegal in North Carolina. Please help.
  • Options
    I've covered the light with red lens tape, and it stays on while I'm packing to go home at 4 a.m. But I don't need it to be on when I'm unpacking, or otherwise. So I still pull it out to connect it to power when I need to use it. I really wish I could replace the bulb (as far as I can tell it won't come out) with an LED - a red LED - or that there was a switch.

Can you please explain how you popped it out? (Anyone?)

I would like to turn it off for a period of time.

How difficult is it to do?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I so totally wish someone could help me with getting that cargo light to go out.

We are going to the drive in movies tonite with the kids and I plan to park backwards and let the kids sit in the hatch to watch but I cannot turn the light out and I hate to start taping stuff over the light.

Help! Anyone?
  • Options
    fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I'd start by locating the button that switches it on and off...somewhere in the door jamb. It's obviously a spring loaded switch, probably covered in rubber. I'd swap it out with a manual on/off rotary switch. Make sure its profile doesn't rub against the door, and you'd have to remember to turn it on every time you opent the door.

I think to take the light out you'd have to remove the whole side panel, right?
  • Options
    bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    fitman548,

I believe the light assembly just pulls out of the side panel. The 2 wires are then exposed and you could splice a switch into the circuit. A hole could be cut out of the side panel next to the light and the switch ( rocker ) could be mounted or in this case inserted.

FYI I tried to switch the back-up and turn signal light locations, but the bulb holder socket and harness wouldn't reach.

Bubba
  • Options
    jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    I have a Base MT and notice the same thing. I find if I try to accelerate in 1st with AC, the car doesn't just act a bit weaker (what I'd expect), but seems to go nowhere then suddenly lurch forward--it's not smooth at all. It's like the drive-by-wire gas pedal has lost its intelligence. Without A/C the car accelerates smoothly. The lurch reaction reminds me in how my vehicles from the old days acted when they air leaks or blocked fuel tube or carbs. I know our engines are small but this is unpleasant; isn't drive-by-wire supposed to eliminate this kind of thing?
  • Options
    cajunpaisleycajunpaisley Member Posts: 1
    I have a fused right ankle. I can manage 99.9% of most cars accelerator pedals..but the pedal on my Fit is at an awkward angle. For one thing it's too far from the floor pan, AND for me, it's rigid attachment to the accelerator rod is uncomfortable to stay in contact with. I actually have to hold my foot off the floor pan, driving to engage the pedal...
    Wonder if I can modify the pedal to a. reach the floor pan OR b. attach the pedal via a swivel so the bottom end is closer to the floor pan.
    Perry
  • Options
    yenchingyenching Member Posts: 10
    I think I had the same problem when I was test driving the Honda Fit (the pedals felt very small) and there are these Foot Pedal "covers" you can purchase that should take care of that for you. I use it on my current Toyota Camry and I cannot drive without them. ;)

http://motors.search.ebay.com/foot-pedals_Parts-Accessories_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ6028
  • Options
    susanvsusanv Member Posts: 2
    We have crammed in three hockey bags, three 15 year old boys and sticks. Works just fine and the gas mileage is better than my old CRV
  • Options
    _nate_nate Member Posts: 5
    I got my Fit last week and noticed the cord on my road trip to Canada this weekend. Do we just trim it off?
  • Options
    mintjulepmintjulep Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone had trouble making their seat configurations work?

I can't seem to get my refresh mode right: my front seat back won't lay all the way down level with the back seat. I've rammed the front seat as far forward as it will go, but still no luck. This happens with both the driver's and passenger sides. Help!! :cry:
  • Options
    FYI: I found an old post with the answer: #149 in Honda Fit Interior & Passenger Comfort Concerns.
    I'll try it, and hope it works! :blush:
  • Options
    I've been having the exact same problem with making the refresh mode work!
    I'll try this to see if it does the trick. I do hope so! :blush:
  • Options
    larryfitlarryfit Member Posts: 4
    I think you have to recline the back seat.
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Member Posts: 9
    Should we start a lawsuit or something, I am needing to make an apointment to see a chiropractor or someone soon. I think this seat is causing permenant damage to my back and I am starting to get scared about how it will affect my life.

You're joking right? I think you are...

I find the seats to be VERY comfortable!!!! The only complaint I have is no arm rest, that is really taking me a while to get used to. I drove with my elbow on the arm rest for the last 19 years so its really throwing me off!
  • Options
    2tallformyfit2tallformyfit Member Posts: 5
    Ok, not a lawsuit, we all did do a test drive. BUT how about asking Honda to make a replacement seat, I would pay for an adjustable seat so I don't hate my new car every time I drive more than 10 minutes. And it has got to be less than the 4000 dollars I would lose by selling.

Think they would? :confuse:

I can't get a body shop to move the seat because of the airbags.
  • Options
    stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    Ok, not a lawsuit, we all did do a test drive. BUT how about asking Honda to make a replacement seat, I would pay for an adjustable seat so I don't hate my new car every time I drive more than 10 minutes. And it has got to be less than the 4000 dollars I would lose by selling.

You can easily buy a replacement seat for any car like a Recaro seat. I have complaints about the Fit drivers seat and it might keep me from buying one. The airbag is not affected unless you are considerably higher or lower than before or things like that. A more comfy seat which is a replacement seat should be just fine. Do a google search and You'll see quite a few of them available for the Fit. There are tuner Forums that also discuss things like this on a regular basis.
  • Options
    danboudanbou Member Posts: 3
    I have purchase a plate of flat steel 1/4x1x48 and square tubing 1x1x1/4x12.my seat is arround 2 inch more hight and 4 inch more back.I dont modify the original track. just bolt under the original track. On front right side install flat steel arround 4 inch lenght, for left side use you brain for make one with flat steel.for rear use the square tube for lift the rear. You do purchase 6 new bolt for intall it. Now i like my car. :):):)
    sorry for my poor inglish, i'm better in french. :shades:
  • Options
    mgutaimgutai Member Posts: 25
    I hear you on the arm rest problem. Thanks to an earlier post in this forum, I was able to find a quality, reasonably priced aftermarket arm rest that I just put in last week. It works GREAT! Makes a world of difference, as I am also used to driving long distances with an arm rest. Check out www.qualityautointeriors.com and look under the Fit Section. Mine was black cloth and cost $128 including tax. Shipped to my door in about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    johnnyxjohnnyx Member Posts: 5
    Hi, Im havig a problem with my a/c freezing up. I cant even drive for an hour withouth it happening. The air stays cold coming out of the vents but the air flow is drasticly reduced and you can hear the blower motor straining. If i turn it off for 15 minutes it thaws out and works fine for 30 minutes before happening again. The service department at the dealer says this is normal and to keep the air on recirculating. what a bunch of b.s.! I feel like their giving me the runaround. I took it in for service and theysay their is nothing wrong with it, that it is a common problem with cars, but this is not normal. Ive never heard of this happening before. Any advice? Ive heard people talking about opening a case with honda? how do you do that? Thanks!
  • Options
    mooney101mooney101 Member Posts: 2
    Do you buy chance have the directions to the arm rest from www.qualityautointeriors.com I'd like to see how its installed before i would order it if i got a fit.
  • Options
    joefshrmnjoefshrmn Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, although I dont know if its the AC freezing up because I can't get decent flow out of the vents no matter what I do once it happens, not even with heat. The dealer cannot duplicate the problem as it only happens on long trips. So they are telling me that there is nothing that they can do. I do not view this as an acceptable answer and I will actively pursue this issue. I would be curious to know if anyone else is having this problem.
  • Options
    crookjcrookj Member Posts: 1
    In any other car I've driven with the A. C. on, setting the air intake control to recirculate results in cooler air coming out of the vents. In my Mazda, the temperature drops by 10 degrees. In the Fit the temperature does not drop at all. Also, the volume of air out of the vents is cut in half. I end up sweating in my Fit on a 95 degree day.

The dealer says that all Fits are like this and that nothing can be done. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • Options
    sfinstersfinster Member Posts: 17
    I have noticed that other cars I carpool in (Ford Focus, Volvo S40) cool much faster than my Fit. (16 months old, 25,000 mi)
    I recently had our Toyota Sienna in for service and they checked the A/C by putting a thermometer probe in the vent. Our van only cools to about 60, and they recommended recharging the system because they expect something in the mid 40s.
    Today I put my Fit on recirculate, max cold, and put my kitchen thermometer in. It only gets down to 52 degrees. I will be calling the dealer.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The dealer says that all Fits are like this and that nothing can be done. Has anyone else noticed this?

Go on the dealer's lot and try one.
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    remember guys, you are comparing a tiny ac unit on a tiny car to a moderately sized ac unit on a moderatley sized car. the bigger ac will cool faster, thats no lie...granted, even in 95 degree weather, i think 52 degrees is TOTALLY fine!

MY old vw rabbit wouldn't even go down past 50. How cold do we really need to be?
  • Options
    ikeleongikeleong Member Posts: 2
    hello;

Just took delivery of fit on 8/30, the a/c output is much weaker compared to my 2000 accord. But since all my cars are parked outside, on a hot day I have to rolldown the windows with a/c on max/recir and after driving a few minutes rollup the windows and I tend to leave it on recir and in the FIT you will get cooled down if you do this.
  • Options
    ifitifit Member Posts: 18
    Check out this article on the best and worst cars for tall and short people. The Honda Accord and Honda Pilot are in the top 10 best for both tall and short people. The Honda Fit did not make the top ten best or worst for either tall or short people.

The Tall and Short of It
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • Options
    mgutaimgutai Member Posts: 25
    Sorry for the late reply.

I think I threw away the directions, only because they were so simple. Basically it comes in 1 piece with 2 screws. The base mounts directly inside the existing cup holder that's in the rear between the front seats, behind the parking brake. The 2 screws (maybe 1.5" in length) fasten it down pretty securely. And they give you a round felt cover to go on top of the new cup holder (to cover the screw heads). Its extremely simple.
  • Options
    fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I'm 5'11", I have the drivers seat all the way back on the rails, with the back of the seat in the full upright (and locked) position. I had some sore leg the first few months, mostly the left hamstring, but my body has adjusted. If you can give it a month, try, otherwise look into getting some foam wedges or ergo mats for the seat.
  • Options
    unfitunfit Member Posts: 12
    I am 6'1" and have been pleasantly surprised by the back support in the Fit. The seat fits me well and I get out of the car with my back pain relieved; this is the opposite experience of spending any time in my old car where my hips and back would ache. I hope you find a way to make it comfortable!