Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Wheels and Tires

bbaker19bbaker19 Member Posts: 1
I'm purchasing a 2004 Canyon Z71 4x4 and would like to know what size rims and tires to give the truck a beefier look. A friend of mine told me to put on a leveling kit and stick with a size 15" rim. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Comments

• poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I am not sure how big you can go with the wheel wells, but 33" or 35" look pretty good.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I put 16x8" rims and 245/75-16 tires on my '05 Canyon 4x4. I wasn't trying to get the "monster truck" look, as the set up is the same OD as the OE 265/75-15s. However, the handling is much improved, as the OE General tires are no longer on the truck, and the shorter sidewall of the 16" tires vs. the 15s also helped out.
  • tractorguytractorguy Member Posts: 1
    My extended cab Colorado Z71 has 50,000 miles on it, and even though the OE General tires still have some tread left, the traction and handling has been getting worse. I wasn't terribly impressed with them to begin with, although I realize the light weight of the vehicle and high off road suspension doesn't help. I saw some A/T's on a Colorado just like mine, unfortunately I couldn't stop to look at them. I need good traction for off road, mud, or snowy conditions. There aren't many tires available in this size yet (265/75-15). I like the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor for about $150 ea. Hercules has a Terra-Trac A/T for $120, and Cooper has an ART tire for $130. I'm leaning toward the Goodyear, although I'd like any suggestions about your experiences with tires. I don't think I'm interested in changing rims or tire size. Thanks for the info.
  • puregreenpuregreen Member Posts: 24
    Iam new to this forum and new to the colorado. I have a 05 crew cab 4wd ls with factory 265-7515 I was wondering if a 31-10.50-15 would fit without rubbing.
    I don't have one but heard that the tirerack website has a chart that shows what sizes will fit.
    Thanks i will try that
    I seen one today with 31-10.50-15 bfg at at a store and i looked and it didnt look like they rubbed anywhere. A 265 and 31 both measure 29 1/2 in tall In guess i will order a set next month.
  • 05colorado05colorado Member Posts: 3
    Hey Puregreen Ive got a 2005 Extended Cab with just the Z71 package not the 4wd. Anyways ive got 265-75-18's there a shade under 33's on my Colorado. When I had them put on I had to crank up the torsion bars a little bit and modify the frame a little bit because they rubbed if ya turned lock to lock. I think you'll be fine with 31-10.50-15's though anything bigger then 33's I think will need a little bit of a suspension lift.
    Ya thanks I think Im gonna get the bfg at I really like the looks and heard they wear very well
  • 2005z712005z71 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 colorado z71 crew cab and i was also looking into getting the bfg all-terrain (31x10.5 r15) and i was wondering if they rubbed any?
    I havnt got them yet still debating on wheel i want to get im looking at the dick cepek dc1 blk and chrm, when i get them i will let you know. I did measure a 31x10.50x15 on a truck and they are the same height as the 265 so should be alright
    Make sure the wheel offset is correct. Some wheels have the center hub area further out than others leaving the tires sticking out of the wheel well not to mention this is bad for the suspension wear and tear.
    Good point, Poncho. I'm using 16x8 wheels for both my winter and summer tires. The summer tires are on MB Motoring "Rocker" wheels that I bought from Discount Tire Direct. My winter tires are on ASA wheels that I got in a wheel/tire package from Tire Rack.

Both wheels fit well, however the MBs have a little less offset (1/8") that the ASAs.
  • gators4megators4me Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2005 Canyon Ext. Cab 2wd with off road package. I have 10.50x31 on stock 15" rims. They just dont fill up the wheel wells, the truck still looks on the wimpy side. Actually the stock tires seemed bigger! What is the tallest tire I can use that will beef up my looks without a ton of modifications, i.e. lift kit? Maybe it's the massive fender flares that make the tires seem small?

Take care guys, thanks in advance! :D
  • 05colorado05colorado Member Posts: 3
    I posted a couple months back to another guy on here looking for a bigger setup on his Colorado. I've got an 05 Colorado extended cab Z71 2wd that I have AMP Bitterroot 18" wheels with 265/70/18 Open Country A/T's on. I had to crank my torsion bars and notch the front frame a small amount to make the tires work. They only rub lock to lock every now and then. The tires are very quiet though and ride alot better then the stock tires. My 265/70's are a shade under 33's. I think when I checked the size they were 32.50's or something close to that. I think when these tires are worn out ill throw some Open Country's M/T's on.
  • gators4megators4me Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info '05, will check your setup out!

Take care! :D
  • leebyehleebyeh Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys i just baught the 2008 gmc canyon and was wondering whats the biggest set of off road tires i can put on this thing with out changing the rims for this year. As of now it has the 15x7 alluminum rims and standered 235 7515 tires on it. I want something that will make it look a little bigger and be good on the dirt roads. Do the bgf foot tires fit on the 15 inch rims, i'm newbie to this stuff so please help me out thanks Lee
    I just put on bfg at's 31x10.50x15 no problem
  • leebyehleebyeh Member Posts: 2
    thanks puregreen now do anyone know the cheapest place to get the tires i am located in northern quebec on the east coast line across from the straights of bell ille somewhere in NFLD would be very helpfull. Im kinda looking for the cheapest place possible any help will be much apreacited thanks BTW this is a 4x4 dont know if that makes a diff thanks again
  • blurredblurred Member Posts: 1
    As puregreen said, 32x10.5 on stock rims with the Z71 suspension fit fine with no rubbing/trimming. The fact it is a 4x4 doesn't matter either.

For the best pricing on a set of BFG AT/KOs I would suggest calling multiple places that sell tires in your area as well as go online and browse. Use shopping.google.com. That should bring up several listings.

Some places are discounttiredirect.com and tirerack.com.

Good luck and you should love the BFGs. Never have heard any complaints.
  • hokie91hokie91 Member Posts: 1
    The stock tires on my 06 colorado were 235x75 15 i bought a pair of 31X10X50 15 but they rubbed and the guy wouldnt put them on. If i put an inch and 1/4 spacer on my front wheel will this keep the tires from rubbing?
    You've got to be kidding!!

A spacer that big would put an incredible strain on the lug studs and front hubs, it would be grossly dangerous! And, if ANYONE sold them to you, they should be arrested for gross negligence.

I'll assume your 'Rado is a 2 wheel drive? I say that because the factory Z-71 4x4 equipped Canyon/Colorado came from the factory with a 265/75/15 tire on a 15x7 rim. No clearance issues. The 265/75 and 31/10.5x15 are very close in dimensions. If your truck is indeed a 2 wheeler, and you're set on a tire that big, you'll need a suspension lift kit.
  • jloseejlosee Member Posts: 2
    anyone know how big of a tire i can put on my 06 colorado 2wd im looking for a bigger and more aggressive tire?
  • mbo222mbo222 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys. Does anyone know if the cool 17" chrome 2009 rims will work on my 2006 z71 4wd crew colorado? Thanks
  • ECR223ECR223 Member Posts: 10
    Has anybody mounted Silent Armors on their trucks? I was looking for a good all season tire with the ability to hold it's own off-road. It comes in both the 265, and the 31. Just wondering if anyone knew from experience how they performed.
  • redbullriderredbullrider Member Posts: 1
    will Pro Comp Radial Mud Terrain 32x11.50R-15 fit on stock rims without rubbing or are they to wide, I have an 04 GMC canyon 4x4 3.5ltr L5 engine, i'm not sure exactly what suspension is on it but i know it had 31x10.50's on it origionally. it does have the 4x4 offroad decal on the bed if thats any help lol, if the 32's dont fit stock i'll just go with the 31x10.50's cause i know those shouldnt have any problems, until i get the front torsion bar lift and rear leveling blocks then i should be able to fit 33's or something. but hey if bigger tires will fit stock setup with no problems why not, right. i plan on adding a brush guard piaa driving lights window vent shades n get the front driver and passanger windows tinted to match the others, its an extended cab btw.
  • tazrebeltazrebel Member Posts: 2
    Vehicle: 2008 Colorado

In under 15k miles my tires began to separate.

3 of the factory 4 had "impact wounds" with no sign of the implement that made them separate.
    The fourth one just does not hold air for more than a week.

I replaced them all with a set of Coopers. 15k miles later and No more "impact wounds". hhmmm
  • hey_moehey_moe Member Posts: 1
    Will a 31/10.5/15 tire fit on my stock 6.5" wheel without any issues? If it does, will have much tire sticking out beyond my fenders? I like the clean look of my smaller charcoal fender flares and don't really want to have to swap them out.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    A 31X10.50R15LT has an allowable rim width range of 7" to 9", so, No, you can not use this size on your truck.
  • colorado2316colorado2316 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Poncho, I am new to this forum. I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado 4-door. I am looking for a bigger set of tires, whats the biggest or the best way to go...u seem like u know quite a bit about this stuff.
    First, you need to decide "how big" you want to go. If it were my truck, I'd want to consider that the computer reads the vehicle's speed electronically, and in turn tells the tranny to shift, the ABS to function, etc, therefore, if you deviate too much from the OD of the original tires, you could have drivability issues.

Having said that, you'll also need to consider new wheels, to go along with your new tires, since the OE wheels are barely wide enough for the OE tires, let alone anything wider/larger.
  • bruceasnyderbruceasnyder Member Posts: 1
    I'm Not sure, but I just put a set of Michelin XTR AT 265 70 R 17s on my 2007 Crew Cab 4X4 and the ride comfort increased significantly and it looks awsome...
  • chad2005chad2005 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know 15x10 wheels will fit on a standard 05 z71 colorado?
    The problem is this....Yes, you'll probably get a 15x10 rim to "fit", but it won't work well.

The Canyon/Colorado twins use wheels that have a large amount of positive offset, in essence a FWD wheel. The "backspacing" on an OE wheel is approximately 5.25". Most 10" rims out there on the market have 3.75-4" of backspacing. The added rim width itself, PLUS the amount that will be "pushed out" due to the lesser backspacing, make it impractical, from a clearance standpoint, as well as a little risky, by putting the additional strain on the hubs and bearings, with all that rim/tire further out.
  • txtrkfantxtrkfan Member Posts: 1
    I bought my son a new 2010 Colorado LT for Christmas in 2010. Currently he is stationed overseas, but will return to his base in New Jersey in a couple of months. Prior to his return, I want to "beef" up his truck. If it were here in texas, I would know what to do. I don't have access to the truck, but want to have a lot done to it. Any of the 4x4 buffs out there that can tell me what to do with this thing to make it bad [non-permissible content removed] would be appreciated. I want to lift it (suspension lift), PUT BIGGER TIRES AND RIMS ON IT, put some skid plates on it, grill guard, rear bumper, and maybe even a winch. The V-8 should handle all of the extra weight easily. Give me your ideas please.
  • wothy44wothy44 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I am thinking of putting 32.5" tires on a 17" rim 12.50. What does my offset need to be? I have a leveling kit on it, everything else is stock though.
    I've had 8" wheels on my Canyon, both 15" rims and 16". While offset is indeed a legitimate wheel design parameter, backspacing is easier to calculate/understand. Having said that, the place where the backside of the wheel comes closest to hitting anything is the upper ball joint.

A 15 or 16" rim, with 5.25" of backspacing will clear the ball joint. A 17" rim, due to its larger diameter, will have a little more room here, and possibly more backspace can be tolerated. My suggestion would be to go to a wheel/tire shop that actually stocks rims, and try a wheel on the truck in person. You want to get a wheel that's as wide as possible, to accomodate the larger tires, yet with the most backspacing, in order to work as well as possible, without putting undue stress on the hubs/suspension parts.
  • blkmrktblkmrkt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 colorado crew cab LS
    its level (torsion bars) and its pretty much same height as a z71 from what I've noticed
    I have stock wheels now 235-?-16"

I have 31-10.5-15 and im going to order black steel rims

I found 15x7 rims with3.75" of backspacing

Think ill be safe with that? Think I can get wider rims with more backspacing? Or should I just stick with what I found
  • dgrmuxbdgrmuxb Member Posts: 2
    I just got my '05 colorado to haul my bike and it has been back to carmax 4 FOUR times. I explained to them that it was almost a grinding feeling as I used the brakes in traffic, a jerking grab as i coasted to a stop and a wobble at Hwy speeds ( I use cruise control for my commute to and from work). The second time I was told they couldnt find anything. (The Tech has me drive the car with him to try and explain what I was feeling) But, it might be the tire out of balance and they would go ahead and get all four balanced for me, lost he truck for a few days. I got the truck back had the same issues. call them back to set up another appointment. The third trip they told me the rotors were warped and they would have to replace them, lost the truck for about a week. The customer service rep assures me that they've nailed the issue and the truck is good togo. No more than a week later I'm setting up another appointment due the same wobble shaking the truck so bad you'd think a tire was going to fall off, absolutely driving me insane with the grind making me think I'm going to kill myself trying to get home one night when the breaks fail. Back to setting another appointment (fourth), the service Rep tells me that the tech ( a different one from the last) would like to drive the truck with me to see if they could "recreate" the issues I'd been having. sure enough the truck wobbles and grinds before we get out of the parking lot. We continued the test drive and I point it out to him as we ride and he give me the story of how hard the truck is to work on and how it still might be a balancing issue. I leave the truck with them. Day two the service rep calls me and says they have to turn the rotors. I ask could this be because when the put the new rotors on the didn't replace the pads? he had NO CLUE! the kicker that makes you want to freak out is the machine to turn the rotors was broken and they were trying to get it up so they could get me fixed up. OUTSTANDING! Now the question is when will I actually get the truck back. Three days, (3) days later I get the call the truck is ready and all issues have been resolved. I rearrange my wifes schedule and make plans to pick up the truck and once again before I can get out of the parking lot we ahve the same issues. My scheduled wouldnt allow for me to head strait to the Chevy dealer to have the people who built the damn thing tell me what was really wrong with it. and after reading these post, sound like they have no idea how to correct the problem either. The Christmas gift (purchase date DEC 21, 2011) to haul the motorcycle around and allow us to not be tethered to on car when we haed out of town has turn into a pain in the A##. Three months I'm working on and the truck still runs like S%^& and I just got an email from a Carmax manager asking my how was my last how my last visit went after seeing I had been in for service. I emailed him back asing if would cold talk about my visit(S) this friday and i"ve yet to hear from them. Of course the 30 day warranty is up and it nothing buy a up hill battle now. Shame on Chevy for neglecting a design flaw, not standing behind its brand and issuing a recall to fix this. Easy to see why they needed a bail out! a sad shame. If anyone can help I thank you in advance. :confuse:
  • gmoney26gmoney26 Member Posts: 1
    Currently I have 235 75 15 tires would 235 55 15 fit on my truck
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    That would be going down in load carrying capacity - and that leads to tire failures - very bad!!