Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra Transmission Problems

islandgirl3islandgirl3 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2021 in Nissan
I have a terrible jerking problem when I press gas after slowing down & stopping. Can anyone tell me what it possibly is?

Comments

• txn_egl_scttxn_egl_sct Member Posts: 20
    Can you be more specific?

Is is a manual or automatic?
    What year vehicle?
    How many miles?
    Is the vehicle warmed up when you notice the symptom?
    Is the fluid at the correct level?
    Do you have non Nissan floor mats?
    Are there any noises or vibrations that accompany the symptom?

If there is any other information you could provide it you help greatly.
  • naonao Member Posts: 1
    > Do you have non Nissan floor mats?

Huh? :confuse:
    I just gotta know - why did you ask about the floor mats?
    In my 2001 Sentra XE I had purchased aftermarket floormats that didn't have the retention tab that Nissan original equipment mats have. The smaller cones on the bottom side did not properly grip on the short pile carpet, if you call it that, it was more like a thick felt. The mats would slip behind the pedals and would in my case interfere with their movements. The drivability problems it caused shared many similarities the described symptoms. Poor braking, hesitation on throttle, etcetera... etcetera... etcetera...
  • act1805act1805 Member Posts: 1
    97 Altima with 85,300 miles on it. When car is cold, automatic transmission has trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I have to let my foot off the accelerator and eventually it will kick in. It only does this in the morning when I start to drive to work. Then the rest of the day, it doesn't do it. Took car to transmission shop, they could not find any problems. I'm trying to sell the car. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what it might be?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • playerslikeusplayerslikeus Member Posts: 2
    Possibility of a completely clogged pcv valve. Surprising, but true. I own a 2005 nissan sentra 1.8 s automatic. Nissan has nothing on replacing these things, but when they clog up and can cause a pressure build-up within the engine causing it to work hard and idle higher. Please replace as soon as you can. The only other solution other than that could be a dirty throttle plate. I replace the pcv valve every 12 to 15 thousand miles and clean the throttle plate every 30 thousand miles.
  • paulc_15paulc_15 Member Posts: 1
    Problem 1) I have a 1989 Sentra 5 speed manual transmision that will not advance while its in 2nd or 3rd gear
    2) after driving it for 30 minutes or so it will stop and won't start untill 1/2 hour or so later.
    So is there any one with similar problem or with skills to know what is wrong with my sentra? any help will be apreciate.

Highly regards,
    Paul
  • rwashingtonrwashington Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Nissan Sentra and it doesn't want to back up, whats wrong with it?
  • corrinm16corrinm16 Member Posts: 2
    My grandpa just bought me a 2001 Nissan Sentra Gxe. About a Month ago....

First off.... the horn doesnt work, it's not the fuse....
    Anyone know what it might be???

And for my main question.... about 2 days ago.... everytime I would switch gears from park to reverse or to drive ...It would make a clunking noise and then it would jerk. Also when I stop at a stop sign or press the gas to go it makes the clunking noise. Well, Come to find out, there was barely any transmission fluid. We had to put two quarts just to fill it back up....
    Do you think that the transmission is done for...
    The clunking noises does mean it's the transmission right?
    And what it the estimated price of a new Transmission?
    I heard it was like 2,000 dollars, that seems a bit much, does that seem right?

Please help me out, maybe give me some advice. I'm only 18. And don't know much about cars....
  • eagle_51eagle_51 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 94 Sentra 1.6 ltr. auto trans. with about 119k miles. Today while driving it will not go into 2nd gear. First and reverse are fine. Fluid looks and smells good. I have read that this might be related to the governor. I can't seem to find a replacement governor at the local auto parts shops. Thoughts and suggestions please????
    Steve
  • lrs3lrs3 Member Posts: 1
    Hope you can help........The problem I am experiencing is the transmission isnt slipping, but it's stuck!! In either first or second gear (I cant tell) and it won't shift up to the next gear whether or not it is in Drive or moving the shift from 1st 2nd or to Drive manually. The fluid seems to be fine and the color seems normal. I don't know if I need to go to the extreme of replacing the transmission or could it be an easy fix? The few estimates I recieved are giving me the worst case but with them, it is all speculation with out really looking at it at all. Friends have mentioned that it might just be a linkage problem. If you could tell me what you think it might be I would appreciate it. I plan on doing the work myself but have never done this before. I've done just about everything else, but if you think it's not so easy please advise.

Thank you
    Lrs
  • ntanntan Member Posts: 1
    i have a problem with my a/t of my sentra for about a yr now,the problem is that when the engine is cold and when i put it in drive it takes some time to drive the car its like it doesnt get into gear, but when the engine is hot it gets to gear normally, the fluid is pink in color and doesnt smell burned. what could be the problem/ any solutions or encounter with the same problem pls share thanks.
  • brzilianbrzilian Member Posts: 2
    Bought a new 2008 Sentra S back in Feb and have had an ongoing issue with the transmission. Any time I ease off the accelerator in 4th, 5th and 6th gear, I can hear a high pitched whining sound. Started noticing it before 1,000 miles and brought it to the dealership. They test drove the car and told me it was normal. The sound kept getting louder and the dealership agreed to replace the transmission at 2,500 miles. The sound was still their after the swap, just not as loud. I complained again to the dealership and they told me it was out of their hands and told me to contact Nissan USA's customer affairs dept.

They weren't of much help either and told me it was normal. They are arranging a test drive with another 2008 6sp, but it apparently is taking them 2 weeks to hunt one down in Western Ohio.

In the meantime, I'm currently at 4,000 miles and the noise has returned to full volume. I have posted a video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEoG8IDKSr8

At this point, I just want my money back since Nissan has let me down in a big way and I have no faith in their customer service.

To any potential buyers out there - beware!
  • rtmartinez1rtmartinez1 Member Posts: 1
    were you able to get the problem fixed, if so how..my kid has the same issue with her car.. any help is appricated...
  • brzilianbrzilian Member Posts: 2
    Update:

It is becoming apparent Nissan USA stalling as much as they can so that I cannot defer to Ohio lemon laws. I have yet to get a call from a dealership for a test drive of another 2008 Sentra.

I happen to work with a few former Honda USA engineers and asked one to go for a test drive with me. He confirmed that this issue is not normal and should not happen with a new car. He also believes the issue is caused by the differential.
  • firefitebfirefiteb Member Posts: 3
    We just had the same problem it is stuck in what they call limp home mode which tells the tansmission something is wrong but allows you to "limp home" we had a new governor plate installed at a small hometown transmission shop for around $250 and works just fine
    We had a small 1/4 inch vacuum line that goes to the top of the transmission and cannot see where it re connects now car shifts very erratcially any ideas?

Automatic transmission w/ 4 cyl 1994 nissan sentra LE
  • jizzal5151jizzal5151 Member Posts: 4
    check the motor mounts and tranny mounts
    bad ground or the horn is bad
    check motor and trans mounts
    i have the same problem with a 01 sentra se r and i have been working on cars for 15 yrs im stressed with this one there is a switch next to the shifter i haven't tested yet if u find out what it is let me know and i will do the same
    anyone know were the transmission governor is on an 01 nissan sentra se r
    or why it goes into limp home mode after it gets to temp
    We ended up taking it to a small local transmission shop. They immediately knew it was the governor plate and was most likely stripped out or something. Cost us roughly $250 and a day to fix. runs great again/ the small 1/4 inch vacuum line that we had issues with was also found to be the overflow aka breather tube to the transmission it should be open to atmosphere and not plugged to anything but put it where it will not get dirt or debris into it.
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    I received a letter from Nissan indicating that they are extending the power train warranty on the CVT transmission from 5 years 60,000 miles to 10 years 120,000 miles. They will also reimburse all transmission repair or replacement cost and towing cost. And you don't even have to own the car anymore to get the reimbursement. Also, they stated that they lowered the price for transmission replacement that may be required after 10 year years or 120,000 miles. :shades:
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    My 2003 Nissan Sentra, when checked with a code reader, indicates that there is a P0745 problem. What has to be done to the car to correct the problem indicated by this code?
  • dbb4dbb4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 nissan Sentra and I think it would be really cool to put a turbo on it for the fact it would be a steady flow of boost with the cvt but I have no clue how much the cvt can handle the steal belt stretches and it also has a breaking point but i was wondering if there was a upgrade or how much hp and torque the factory one can handle
  • 02sentratrans02sentratrans Member Posts: 1
    My shifter has no tension when in neutral just flops back and forth, and I only have 3rd and 4th gears. no reverse. what could cause this it a 6sp manual trans
    I am coming due for the 30K service, and I saw that my dealer here in Phoenix, is charging $360 for a fluid flush! Is this normal? I know that the CVT uses special fluid or somesuch but $360?

Is the fluid so used up that is no longer good, or do they just "dump and pump" assuming that I won't know any better?
    The maintenace book that came with the vehicle states that the transmission fluid be checked at 30K miles and changed if towing a trailer, etc. You need to ask the dealer how he determines whether it needs to be changed. In other words, how does the dealer tell "good" CVT fluid from "bad" CVT fluid. Also, you can check with another Nissan dealer in your area, ask the same question and get their cost for the service.
  • azpathmanazpathman Member Posts: 2
    92 sentra automatic front end rebuilt engine runs good one day without warning car just stopped going in either direction or gear.from 55 to rolling stop,wheels roll fine no noise from tranny,new filter and fluid routinely is there a sensor?or something simple to check could it be torque converter.thanx in advance
  • jake_wesjake_wes Member Posts: 2
    hi everyone i'm looking for a reason why my nissan wont engage any gears. its a manual not automatic.
  • jake_wesjake_wes Member Posts: 2
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 11
    Do you have a CVT transmission in this Sentra?

Dixie
  • krisstin8821krisstin8821 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a fluid flush for $120. A seal broke on my tranny and originally they didn't want to warranty it bc Jiffy Lube topped off my fluids with a different color oil than Nissan likes. Luckily after heavy arguing, Nissan agreed that the oil inside wouldn't effect the seal. However, I did agree to pay for the fluid flush in the event that something goes wrong in the future, the fluid will be the appropriate color.
  • guamerikaguamerika Member Posts: 1
    I have been to four auto shops and 3 out of 4 could not read any fault in my car. However when I drive my car (as an automatic transmission) is not shifting automatically! I seem to be driving (and stuck) in 2nd gear!

Any ideas-Transmission flush already performed problem still exisitant!
  • elmo8elmo8 Member Posts: 1
    I rebuild my 1995 Sentra FE B14 Transmisson and now it is not changing when in D
  • marlboroman1marlboroman1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    I have a 94 Nissan Sentra 1.6 Maual 5 speed transmission. It changes gears just fine, but when I put it in 5th it kicks it self back out and if I hold it in the 5th gear it jerks around. Would like to know what I need to do to fix this problem.
  • dmendozadmendoza Member Posts: 1
  • tinkerman1tinkerman1 Member Posts: 1
    u need to replace the 5th gear with a new one cuz the factory one its smaller and it causes it to not engage the gear right u will need to take off ur tranny and open it and if u have a manual book it will show u which one its the gear its called the 5th main gear u gonna have to check the 5th input gear to make sure its not damage too they r expensive i had to do to my 91 nissan and it work fine after that
  • ohiomoverohiomover Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Sentra automatic. Transmission works fine until it shifts to overdrive. When in overdrive the transmission seems to slip. Engine RPM will climb. Transmission will then catch and RPM drops. It continues doing this. If the overdrive button is pushed to turn it off, transmission is fine. We took it to a Nissan dealership. They replaced the overdrive switch. It did not fix it. They then wanted to replace the transmission solenoid but could not guarantee us it would fix the problem. One additional piece of info. The night before the transmission started acting up, the back-up lights would not go off. Nissan says this is not related. They also want to charge me $3,000 to replace the wiring harness.

Any suggestions/feedback on these issues would be greatly appreciated.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I'd try another dealership. Sounds like they are running a mechanics apprenticeship on your dime. The car can't be valued at much more then $3,000 so if the transmission and electrical problems persist, it's time to look around for another vehicle.
  • sajunior07sajunior07 Member Posts: 1
    When I take off my car slowly pick up speed but only goes to 3rd gear, like its stuck there, and only goes to 55mph, but sometimes once in a while its normal, picks up like hows it suppose shifts gears, and goes faster. Can anyone tell me why, Sajunior07@yahoo.com thanks
    Our 2003 was similar. Dealer suggested we replace the overdrive switch. We did and it made no difference. They then said the overdrive solenoid in the transmission was bad and recommended fixing that. We decided to get rid of the car. Each item costs $800 and there was no guarantee it would fix problem. If you take it to a dealer be careful and make sure they are reputable. Make sure they guarantee their work will fix the problem.
  • beccallabeccalla Member Posts: 1
    The car has always shifted pretty hard for an automatic (and gotten worse over the years), but two days ago it sounded like the RPMs were very high when I was in drive going anything over 35. I tried starting out in 1st, then 2nd, then drive and no matter what I do, I can't go over 35 without the RPMs raging. Also, when I was driving at the higher speed I started to smell something and now see that the transmission fluid is burned.

So, basically I'm dealing with high RPMs over 35mph and burning transmission fluid. I have no car knowledge, only know the fluids were burned b/c my brother took a look so if anyone could give me advice in layman's (girl) terms, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm broke and terrified this is the end of my car. Any help would be great!
  • samncsamnc Member Posts: 44
    I think its too late to have the ATF changed and should have checked ATF level and fluid conditions and follow with an ATF drain and fill at least 10 months ago.
  • compwacocompwaco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Nissan Sentra with an automatic transmission. It runs and accelerates well, however, when I come to a stop the idle dips a couple of times and then it stalls. It restarts right away but it will not idle properly while in drive. If I put it in neutral when coming to a stop it idles fine. In park it idles fine. In drive or reverse it won't idle.

Any ideas?
    Sounds like your torque converter is locking up. It is supposed to disengage when you are idling. If it does not it puts strain on the engine and causes it to stall.
    Your problem may not be the transmission. Cars that idle fine in park but stall out in drive can be caused by some build up of varnish in the throttle body. Try cleaning the throttle body and check the air filter before tackling the transmission.
  • knocksterknockster Member Posts: 6
  • knocksterknockster Member Posts: 6
    2001 Nissan Sentra. 2.0l, auto transmission, 112,000 miles.

When first starting the car and driving, the gears change just fine. After warming up, the car seems to be stuck in a higher gear. The gears won't change. When I take off it feels like its not getting enough gas but after around 1800 rpm it picks up. Problem is the faster I go the higher the rpm. At 50 mph I am right around 3000 rpm. If I go faster it goes higher. I watch the tach as I accelerate and the rpm steadily increase and do not lower when the gears are supposed to change.

I tried dropping it into 2nd and 1st (low gears) manually as I drive but the rpm never changes. Then I put it in reverse and hit the gas and accelleration is just fine. I thought at first (because of sluggishness) it may be injectors or the MAS (replaced MAS and cleaned throttle body a few months ago) but after testing with the manual shifting and getting good acceleration in reverse I believe it is something with the tranny.

Any ideas on what it could be? Sensor? Linkage? Anything? Thanks for help.
  • turbo18turbo18 Member Posts: 1
    Hello!

I have a 1996 A/T Sentra 1.6 ECCS, when the gears shift from 1st to 2nd gear, it's like a car is bumping it on my rear?

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks! :sick: