Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    My limited 4WD with NAV, captain 2nd row and entertainment listed for $51,684. The Internet sales manager sent me a quote of $41,684 that I grabbed. I felt that was an excellent price. We did buy the Platinum 7 year warranty for $1700. No other dealer came close on a Limited 4X4. Two dealers called with offers that were not as enticing. I like having an email with all the options and bottom line price. The only way I will deal with a car dealer.
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    I picked up the SR5 I made the long post about, and I have a few corrections to make.

1. It does have a roof rack.
    2. It does have vanity mirrors.
    3. The AC controls do have chrome-colored rings.
    4. The carpet and mats are not black, but Graphite.
    5. The grille is chrome, but the mirrors and door handles are still paint color.
    6. It does have a trip computer.
    7. The JBL is excellent. Way better than the BOSE I heard in a Mazda CX9. Besides great sound, it decodes song names some how.
    9. There is a phone button on the wheel, so maybe it has bluetooth? I will find out.
    10. The steering which might be wrapped in synthetic leather? I cannot tell for sure that it is real. But is is stitched on and not molded plastic. It seems acceptable though.
    You got $10,000 off MSRP? I don't see how that is possible. That is like $5,000 below dealer invoice. What is the 'paperwork fee?'
    No additional fees except tax and license. Poway Toyota Internet Sales Manager. She is a no nonsense sales person. I would buy from her again. I sent the same email to 9 San Diego dealers. She was the only one that did as I instructed. Two others called me on the phone with decent offers on vehicles that did not fit my wants. Remember San Diego has $4000 on the hood from Toyota. It looked to me like they went about $1000 under invoice plus the $4000 rebate. That was on a cash deal. Finance was never even mentioned. They did try to sell lo-jack and I bought into the 7 year warranty. The only figure she put on the email was retail and selling price.

This is what was is on the vehicle:

Poway Toyota
    Model Number: 7924A Model Description: 4-DOOR LTD 4X4
    Year ............: 2007 Number of Cyl ...: 8
    Interior Color ..: LC43 Tan Exterior Color ..: 04Q2 Desert sand
    MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    4.7L DOHC I-Force V8 w/VVT-i
    5 Speed ECT-i Automatic Transmission
    4WD w/Locking Center Differential
    Independent Fr & 5-Link Rr Suspension
    Front and Rear Disc Brakes
    17" Alloy Wheels w/P265/65R17 Tires
    Pwr Assisted Rack & Pinion Steering
    150 Amp Alt/7 Pin Trailer Wire Harness,
    Tow Hitch & 4.10 Rear Diff Ratio
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System Includes:
    Vehicle Stability Ctrl w/Traction Ctrls
    Anti-Lock Brakes w/EBD & Brake Assist
    Dr & Pass Advanced Airbags (SRS)
    Dr & Fr Pass Seat Mounted Side Airbags
    First & Second Row Side Curtain Airbags
    w/Rollover Sensor & Cut-Off Switch
    Fr Seatbelt Pretensioners & Force Lmtrs
    3 Point Seatbelts in All Locations
    Side-Impact Door Beams
    EXTERIOR
    Color-Keyed Bumpers, Overfenders, Grille
    & Body Side Moldings w/Chrome Inserts,
    Chrome Pwr Remote Contrled O/S Mirrors
    Rr Side Door,Qtr Wndw & Tailgate Privacy
    Glass/Fr & Rr Mudguards/In-Glass Antenna
    COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
    Lthr Trim Pwr Dr & Fr Pass Heated Seats
    2nd Row 60/40 Split Bench,3rd Row 50/50
    Split Bench w/Slide,Tumble & Removable
    Funct,Height Adj Headrests in All Seats
    Front & Rear Dual Zone Auto A/C
    Pwr Tilt/Slide Moonroof/Pwr Wndws & Door
    Locks/JBL AM/FM/Cass/CD/10 Spkrs/6 Loc
    Security System w/Engine Immobilizer
    Tilt Steer Wheel w/Audio & Cruise Cntrl
    Auto ON/OFF Headlamps/Fog Lamps
    Var Intermittent Front & Var Rr Wipers
    Ten Cuphlders/Fabric Sunvisors w/Exten.
    Door Courtesy Lamps/Keyless Entry
    Large Center Console w/Note Pad Holder
    Accessory Meter with Homelink
    50 State Emissions .........................
    DVD Rear Seat Entertainment System .........
    w/2 Wireless Headphones, Rear Audio ........
    Controls & 115v Power Outlet ...............
    Luxury Package Includes: Leather Trimmed ...
    2nd Row Bucket Seats w/Adjustable ..........
    Headrests, Removable 2nd Row Center ........
    Storage Console w/Cupholders, Unique .......
    Woodgrain Style Trim, Memory Driver''s ......
    Seat & Exterior Mirror, Rear Height ........
    Control Air Suspension .....................
    Touch Screen DVD Navigation System .........
    JBL AM/FM/CD Single Disc Player w/10 .......
    Speakers in 6 Locations ....................
    Rear Spoiler ...............................
    Daytime Running Lights .....................
    Carpeted Floor Mats/Door Sill Protector ....
    Retail .......................................: $ 51684.00
    I forgot we were talking about a 2007 which has the incentive.

I learned something else new about my SR5 -- it has headlight washers. I drove it today for about 30 miles each way mixed highway/back roads and got 16.3 MPG ave. in 2WD and 15.8 in AWD. I was going 70-75 MPH on the highway portion. It looks like for pure highway I will get in the 18 range or maybe more if I wanted to be careful.
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    I can't comment on the QX or Yota, but I can say my 08 Armada LE is a seriously
    sweet ride. I too am hoping NIssan got the quality gremlins fixed, but after 2k miles,
    I am very happy with the quality of my truck. the second row center console pops
    out in a jiff to allow 3rd row access. I also got 10K off MSRP from a 52K sticker.
    NO offense, but damn, that dash is hideously huge!
    The dash simply goes up to the hood line. The Sequoia has a tall hood to contain the 381 HP/401 lb-ft. 15.2 second quarter mile.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Sweet ride! Love that slate color. What was the MSRP and what did you pay?
    Mack
    Yes mine is the 2007. I will have to see the 2008 in person and drive it to make up my mind on whether I should have held out. If I do sell and buy new I will not get hurt so bad as those that paid full price.

What's with the snow on the ground? :shades:
    I have my sticker upstairs now, but my MSRP was in the $48K range. I paid $1000 over invoice + their BS doc prep fee. Invoice was about $42,600. So I paid about $43,600 + tax. Just learned it has bluetooth and it is really cool on the nav display. Also the JBL shows what is playing on each radio station all at once on the nav display. Like song titles. The backup camera is nicer than my Honda one. So far the thing I am missing the most is sonar. You cannot see the front of the hood.
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    Trebor, now you (and the person sitting in the passenger seat of the black Platinum) can go buy more cargo pants with the money you saved on the SR5! :D
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    Trebor, my dealer has a Slate Metallic SR5 in stock that is very similar to yours. I found that this color seems to have a bluish hew to it. Do you get the same impression with yours? Prior to seeing it in person, I thought it would be more of a traditional gray. Nice truck by the way, I think you made a good compromise, I am tempted to do the same but my wife REFUSES to sacrifice the power rear hatch. I am in line for a 4x2 Platinum in Silver Sky/Red Rock.
    What area of the country are you in? We are getting nothing but 4x4 Limiteds and Platinums in my region right now.
    :shades:
    Yes, it is a blueish metallic gray. It is not warm tone. This was the only reason why I liked it. I would not have bought it if it was goldenish. I liked in in person. I did not like it when I saw it on the website. In person it is 'alive.'

I also wanted a power rear hatch as my Honda has it and I liked how I could let the dog jump in and our without walking around back. All I can say is, I made a sacrifice. I think I will get an aftermarket remote start due to the very long range and I am not sure they would have figured how to add the hatch open to it anyway.

I suspect I will be ok with it. I do miss the sonar but I suspect that I something that I notice now because it is a car I am new to driving. If you took the sonar from my minivan I don't think I would care. That gives me hope that I soon won't care about it on the Toyota.

I am in New England.

I am loving this nav/radio/bluetooth.

This one came with Michellin tires. The Plainum I 'bought' came with Bridgestone. Tirerack has higher user ratings on the Bridgestone.

Still not sure if I am going to keep it in 4x4 like a Land Cruiser or 2WD for the extra 0.5 MPG.
  • pete57pete57 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm shopping for an '08 Limited in New England and wondered what dealership you ended up buying from. Thanks for all the informative posts. Thanks.
  • mommytruckmommytruck Member Posts: 10
    I am in the southeast region and I would like to have a limited (preferably in Pyrite mica or Desert sand) with eight seats and all the options, but what I am finding is that when they put in the eight seats they are leaving out most of the options. Any suggestions?
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    A limited seqouia around 48-50K but with less goodies than the QX56. Was quoted 51,400, 4x4 with DVD package(too much money), that included 1500 rebate financing through infiniti. Curious if you obtained a better deal. Probably should post on infiniti QX56 site, sorry to all others.
  • brestlebrestle Member Posts: 22
    Picking up my '08 Limited in a few hours: Pyrite Mica exterior, Sand Leather interior (waffled on the Graphite vs the Sand, but I have an '03 4Runner with Graphite so I was ready for something new). Haven't seen the Pyrite Sequoia in person yet, but I loved it on the Tundra they had on the lot.

It's pretty much loaded: Nav, DVD, 2nd row bench (didn't want to lose the middle seat to the captain chairs), power hatch, sun roof, 20 inch wheels, etc...

Bought from Wilsonville (Oregon) Toyota who has a "one price" model...they post the MSRP and their price next to it, no haggling. MSRP is $55,943 and they gave me it for $53,410. Probably not the best deal I could have gotten but they treated me well and gave me a great price on my trade.

Wasn't planning on this purchase, but the opportunity came up quickly for the year-end so I jumped. With 2 kids and a dog the 4Runner was starting to feel extremely cramped!
  • healthnuthealthnut Member Posts: 64
    After seeing all the colors, my first choice remained Slate metallic, I love it... Pyrite Mica is equally as cool and would have been my second choice now that I saw it... Damn transporter still hasn't shown up and it has been a week and I'm back in San Fran with a rental car... damn transporters.

" I also wanted a power rear hatch as my Honda has it and I liked how I could let the dog jump in and our without walking around back."

I have that... Is that only with the Platinum? It is awesome since it closes and opens from the remote... I guess that is the power liftgate... yes, I didn't realize that's what it was but wow is it awesome to have that!!!
    You can get the power liftgate on the Limited and I forget if you can on the SR5. Mine just does not have it. Yes it is nice. I feel like such a [non-permissible content removed] I have to exit my car to open the back door.
  • 3rd4rnnr3rd4rnnr Member Posts: 67
    if you dont mind me asking, how much did you get for your 4Runner on your trade ?, I also traded in my 4R (2003 Limited V6 with 116,000 miles)
  • brestlebrestle Member Posts: 22
    Whoops...should have clarified. I didn't trade in my 4Runner. We previously had a 4Runner (mine) and RAV4 (my wife's). When the second child came along, my wife hijacked the 4Runner for the extra space. We traded the RAV4 in for the Sequoia (and I get my beloved 4Runner back). Sorry for the confusion...

Picked up the truck this afternoon and it is just incredible. Love it. Heading out on a road trip tomorrow...can't wait.
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Has anybody figured out if there is a way to switch out the captains chairs in the Platinum for a bench? We have a Artic Frost White Pearl in the garage right now (as a overnighter) and my wife likes it (and only wants that color), but we both agree that we need a bench seat.
    I have to be honest....I did not talk price yet b/c I'm not sure that I want the Infiniti yet and I don't want to waste my time while they "work up a price". I'm supremely confident though that I'll be able to get the truck at or below invoice. In fact, I may wait until after 1/4/08 b/c Infiniti's incentives run out then. I'm assuming that with the economy continuing to struggle, that new car sales, especially of these beasts was worse...thus improved incentives.

Right now though, we are still leaning towards the Infiniti; There is no comparison btwn the two on cabin luxury. The Infiniti blows away the Seqouia- nicer materials and more toys. We also prefer the nav system in the Infiniti...it just seems more intuitive.

But the Sequoia has a great drivetrain and probably drives a wee bit better than the QX (love that adaptable suspension!). Plus the 2nd row flexibility on the Sequoia and 3rd row comfort are most impressive. I don't like being forced to get captains chairs on the Platinum level.

In the end though...two great trucks. My wife (she's not a car person per see, but she is a driver's driver) and I both gained more appreciation for the Sequoia on this overnight excursion.
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    The perfect vehicle for us would be artic white with the 2nd row bench seat and no sunroof. We have looked at the super white but it is just too plain looking. The sunroof is an option with the Limited but to get one with navigation and the rear seat entertain it would have to be ordered.

Why Toyota does not have an optional bench seat in the Platinum is a mystery to us.
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    have you checked out the Infiniti QX56 "prices paid" forum? I did, just cause it was mentioned here, and I wanted to see what sort of prices people were getting on this truck. Unless I read it wrong, it seems most dealers are working off MSRP and not going too far from it. I didnt know that went on these days, especially on a truck (which I think Ive heard) has kind of a shotty repair/track record.
    I've followed the prices paid on the QX and to be honest.....I still am convinced that I will be driving the deal and getting invoice or lower. I'm willing to drive an hour or two to get it, but I have the feeling that what will transpire is that I'll get a better price from an outside my area dealer and my dealer will be forced to match it. I've played this game before and I've always won out. Not to sound like a conceited jerk, but consider the entire economic landscape and tell me why the dealer has any sort of control. I don't "have" to buy today, tomorrow, or even next month. Especially when they have 10 QX's sitting on their lot.

One other reason why I'm so sure that I can do this truck at invoice is that I've already gotten an offer from an out of market dealer back in August at invoice. That was back when the Technology package was very hard to come by and the new redesign was quite fresh..
    Which options are you looking for ? Try searching out of your region. Southeast toyota does weird packaging since they are privately owned.
    Mack :shades:
    I'm not sure, it probably can be done but it will be very costly. Call the parts department of your Toyota dealer and ask them how much the bench seat will cost plus related parts and installation. You may want to keep what you got.
    I find it very interesting that buyers looking at Toyotas are always comparing them to to entry luxury editions of other manufacturers like Infinity, Acura, Lexus, etc. Yet they don't want to pay the price for a Toyota. :confuse:
    I'm pretty sure the Armada isn't in the same class as the Sequoia. Maybe that's because I'm a pretty big Toyota fan and a current owner. I'm not getting too close to my desired payment on the 2008 Sequoia's so I started looking around, and came across the Armada.

I'm looking at a 3 year lease, so reliability isn't really a concern to me. The Armada seems to have DVD and a nice Tech/Nav package for around the same price as a base Sequoia Ltd. I haven't driven either one, just curious if anyone else here has.

Suppose I'll be doing some dealer visits today/tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
    Aaron
    You have to have some differentiation between trim levels that's why.
  • votovoto Member Posts: 2
    My wife just bought a Black Platinum fully loaded. We paid way too much for it but she has been waiting forever. Anyway, my question is has anyone else had a problem getting the XM sat radio to work. When I push the AM/SAT button I can't get it to change to Satellite so I can retrieve my satellite ID. I called the dealership and they say it is XM Equipped. I can't imagine that I just paid $60,000 plus grand for a car that has not included the XM equipment. I called the XM people and they say they need the radio Id first. Anyone else with a platium, can you help me out?
  • healthnuthealthnut Member Posts: 64
    Now that you mention it, how do I hook an iPod to the audio system? I see the AUX jack but it looks like a female rca stereo plug?? Ummmmm, how do I hook an iPod to that? Please don;t say you connect it via the headphone jack and have to buy some sort of adaptor cable, that is lame... But if I do, what cable do I need??
    After I drove the Sequoia, we went and drove the GX470. Too small and over priced compared to the Sequoia. We liked the Lexus color. When I mentioned that the paint had a flaw in the hood the salesman said it can be fixed under warranty. Matching a factory pearl paint job is near impossible. We left and waited for email responses on the Sequoia. Not that many non luxury competitors in the Sequoia size class. The top of the line mainstream cars and SUVs are usually very close to the luxury counterparts.
    I don't want to pay full price for any automobile, especially not in today's market. If I was trying to get a brand new Corvette ZR-1...yeah I'd pay full price and then some. No way for a common SUV.

As for comparing Toyota to the luxury brands....that is how Toyota priced them. A loaded Platinum is 60K. Guess what that directly competes against? Escalade, Denali, Mercedes GL450 and GL320, Infiniti QX56, Lincoln Navigator. All of those are all within a couple grand. That merely highlights my assertion that Toyota either overpriced the these SUVs or they did not put enough in the Platinum to differentiate it from the lower Sequoia models or compare well to the luxury brands that play in this neighborhood. Plus, you get a lousy 3yr/36K warranty compared to at least a 4yr/50K for the others. Yet another of my feelings that Toyota is in over their head here. Then again,,,the market will make that decision quite obvious.

As for the poster looking at the Armada....you'll like them. The QX is based upon the Armada so you get the same powertrain and a similar interior- not as nice as the QX, but similar.

Is the Armada as good as a Sequoia with similiar equipment? Not in my opinion. The Armada's trump card will be that they are dealing them well under invoice. They have something like 4500 rebate on them right now. I've seen where people are getting a 51K sticker price down to just around 40K. It is honestly difficult to say that a QX at 51/52K is 10K better than a loaded Armada, but we prefer the extra luxuries on the QX.
    "As for comparing Toyota to the luxury brands....that is how Toyota priced them. A loaded Platinum is 60K. Guess what that directly competes against? Escalade, Denali, Mercedes GL450 and GL320, Infiniti QX56, Lincoln Navigator. "

You would have to get a Mercedes GL550 for $85,000 to match the performance of the Sequoia. Even a GL450 with nav and dvd is $73,000. Not $60,000.
    "Now that you mention it, how do I hook an iPod to the audio system? I see the AUX jack but it looks like a female rca stereo plug?? Ummmmm, how do I hook an iPod to that? Please don;t say you connect it via the headphone jack and have to buy some sort of adaptor cable, that is lame... But if I do, what cable do I need??"

Well, you would need a cable that has a mini headphone jack on both sides. Try Radio Shack. Why is it lame to have to buy a $4 cable?
    "I called the dealership and they say it is XM Equipped."

Generally you have to buy an add-on to get the XM to work. I think your car is XM ready but does not have the XM receiver. If it does not have a line item on the sticker that says XM, then it does not have it.
  • votovoto Member Posts: 2
    If I paid $60,000 plus for a car that is XM equipped and they can't put a receiver on there...talk about a joke. This is our third sequoia, now I gotta go back and pay for a receiver, when I told the dealer, I want it fully loaded with everything....even added an extra DVD and remote start.
    As far as I know, they are not XM equipped. The radio simply has an input to accept an XM tuner and another aux imput that you can plug an mp3 player into.

Would you be willing to measure the distance that the remote start works in an open space? I am dying to know.
  • lmaddielmaddie Member Posts: 4
    Nice truck. What wheel package is that?
    Those are the basic 18 inch wheels.

BTW, I get between 18.0 and 19.0 MPG (according to the trip computer) with cruise on 64 MPH on the highway. If I just do mixed driving and be somewhat careful but go up to 75 or so, then I get around 16 MPG. If I drive aggressively and on hilly back rounds, it is more like 13.
    Base GL450 is 53K or so. Performance is quite similar to a Sequoia and probably in many aspects, better. You can get a very well equiped GL450 off the lot for just a bit over 60K and let's not forget that we're talking about a Mercedes Benz....not a Toyota. You'd be getting someone to come and pick up your GL for service as opposed to pulling into a Toyota service bay along side a 12K Yaris.

My point is that the Seqouia is trying to move into a very different neighborhood with the Platinum prices. Nothing more...nothing less.
    You named the MSRP of the Sequoia but are comparing it to a Mercedes for 'what you can get it for.' That is not parity. You have to compare MSRP to MSRP, or discounted/stripped price to discounted/stripped price.

Base of the GL450 is $55,500 but base of the 5.7 liter 4x4 Sequoia is $38,500. A $17,000 difference.

If you take the GL450 and add in some of the things the Platinum has, such as the Premium package (nav, etc), DVD, enhanced offroad, 19 inch wheels, trailer hitch, running boards, ipod interface -- it is $77,000. Hey wow, also a $17,000 difference.

To get the engine power of the 5.7 Sequoia you really need to compare it to the GL550. They are within 1 HP of each other. The GL550 is $81,000 with DVD and trailer hitch. $21,000 more.

I am refuting the claim that the Toyota is about the same price as the Mercedes. It is clearly between $15K and $20K cheaper and also larger.

"You can get a very well equiped GL450 off the lot for just a bit over 60K"

Maybe you can, but I got a fairly well equipped Sequoia for $43,000. Also this works out to a $17,000 difference. It seems like that is about the offset. I did also buy a Mercedes (SLK). I don't experience with Toyota service yet. I have been perfectly happy with Honda and Subaru service for my remaining two cars.
    Base GL450 is 53K or so

The GL320 CDI was my first choice. I drove a 2007 with 8000 miles on the odometer. It was fairly well equipped. The price was $72k firm at San Diego MB. If I had liked the way the 7 speed transmission shifted I would have bought it. I do not know if I got a bad one or not. It was not smooth shifting. The Sequoia 4.7L with 5 speed is superior. I expect more trouble free miles also. Plus I left over $30,000 in the bank by getting the Sequoia Limited 4X4. I also looked at the Lexus GX470 and did not like it. The LX470 is OK. I have driven my step daughters a few times. No better than the Sequoia and less room. I will keep it until a full sized diesel SUV is available for a good price in CA.

PS
    You would be hard pressed to get a comparably equipped GL450 in San Diego for less than $68k.
    I also wanted a GL320 but they are not legal in my state. Also there was not enough room behind the 3rd row for my dog. Thirdly, the current price of diesel nearly nullifies the extra MPG. 20% more MPG than a comparable power gasoline engine but gas is $2.98 and diesel is $3.30. That is 10% more so 1/2 of the savings is gone before you even drive :(

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp
  • gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    If you go to the toyota site and download the brochure XM is an option and the price is $450
    Can some help me differentiate all of the DVD options available? I've been going thru the SET inventory, and have seen

Headrest DVD system
    Rear-Seat Entertainment
    10" DVD system

Are all of these really 3 different options?

Thanks!
    Aaron