Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• ommamaommama Member Posts: 3
    I want to take back the above statement. This is the SECOND time in under 9 months that our transmission has went out after having our transmission re-built end of July 2011. You should not have to worry about your car failing so damn much. I have no trust or faith in this car or GM as a whole at the moment. We are out of our warranty (103K), the service manager said they would cover it still. BUT it is not worth the stress to have to deal with it.

And our sun roof leaks too. We have headlight issues. This thing is a money pit.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    ommama,

I'm glad to hear that your dealership is working with you on getting the transmission taken care of, though I certainly understand your frustration that this has happened not even a year after the initial rebuild. Please keep us posted on your progress, and if there's anything we can do let us know.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • busharon07busharon07 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2012
    I bought my 07 Outlook on 070707, and have really loved it and have few problems but something really bad happened to my transmission today without warning. We were about 50 miles or so into a 75 mile trip to my daughter's house when the RPM started revving up from a normal 2 RPM to 3-5 RPM's even though we were only going about 45mph and stopping at a few red lights. It was like we were gunning it but were not. We turned the cruise completely off, proceeded onward another approx 10-15 miles without incident and then suddenly it did it again, revving RPM's, lost acceleration and we managed to get it over into a fast food driveway and it would not go but in reverse. Engine was running ok, no warning lights were on, power steering was working, but no drive. Called ONSTAR, while waiting, the transmission light finally came on and we were towed to the dealer nearby in Rockwall TX. The Service Dept was closed by the time we got there so I wont have a diagnosis until Monday. This is Saturday.
    My warranty runs out in 78 days. I have less than 54,000 miles on it.
    Do I press hard for a new transmission?

Also, I think the leaking sunroof and roof leak issues should be a recall. That has been my only problem with this Outlook, except for a water pump going out a couple of years ago, but have had numerous issues with leaks since I bought it new. Was covered under warranty until last time, both sides front floorboard flooded. Cost alot to get fixed. Then now it is dripping at my backup sensor mid roof and a dealer sees water stain but cant find leak.
    Comments??
  • momof2inncmomof2innc Member Posts: 2
    busharon07 - I had a leak also - not from the sunroof - after 3 times of replacing windshield they discovered the roof rack was installed incorrectly and this was causing leaks into the overhead - make sure they clean it...mold can grow.

I am still working with the dealership on the transmission issue...right now I am having no luck getting any help, apparantly the bulletins regarding this problem dont matter. Still working different avenues, so hopefully this can be addressed!

If you still have warranty on your car, please make sure they check the wave clutch plate position!!!
  • busharon07busharon07 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for the advise about the wave plate. I told the dealership to check it, that we knew it was a known problem-made me sound like I knew something!
    I finally got my Outlook back on May 2 (broke down on April 21).
    This is the diagnosis & fix. I had no forward or reverse at breakdown. The dealer found fluid burnt & could see metal in the fluid. Removed & dissassembled transmission 3,5,R wave plate had fractured causing 3,5,R piston to overstrike breaking snap ring, damanging the housing bearing clutch plates & damaging case cover & case cover pistons & reaction sun gear. They completely dissassembled clean & recondition transmission replacing all seals & friction plates & damaged components. dissassemble & recondition valve body. reassembled-flush cooler & lines. reinstalled update computer program. While in there, they also found my steering rack leaking( I had noticed a noise while turning recently & thought I had a problem, so I agreed to have that fixed while torn down) I also had a 4 wheel alignment done. So thankfully the transmission was still in warranty (got 63 days left!) but the steering & alignment & labor cost me close to $1000. With all that though, it's :blush: got a great sharp smooth turn & is running like new. Cross my fingers it's fixed.
  • elliott2431elliott2431 Member Posts: 2
    Reading all of this I can't believe my eyes. I have had one problem after another with my 2009 Saturn Outlook starting very shortly after I bought it. Its been in the shop several times regarding head light failure (melting wiring) but after paying for this out of pocket twice it was finally recalled and I was reimburssed. But that not the kicker, it been in for service numerous times to try to figure out why the check engine light is on. After numberous parts were changed out and it was never fixed I gave up, got tired of fighting, and just let the engine light be on. A couple of months later I received another recall notice regarding timing chain software. I had this work completed and it's been ok for almost a year and I began loosing power going up hills and when trying to pull out swiftly. I almost caused a 10 car pile up one day with my kids in the car. Took it to the shop and I was told I need to change my oil which was ridiculous because I had just had a recent change. After I informed them of this I was called back and told that when the car was brought in for the last recall for the timing chain that it looks like the software "didnt completely download." What!?!?!?! Oh, I almost forgot, about a month ago the vehicle completely stalled on me in the middle of a busy downtown roadway blocking all traffic. That day I had to have it towed and FINALLY figured out that it had some kind of bad wiring harness that we replaced. What next? I'm seriously considering foreign after many loyall years of being a GM owner and even with the same dealership :cry: :lemon:
    elliott2431,

I'm sorry that you've been through so many different repairs with your Saturn. It looks as though your dealership was able to resolve the issue behind the check engine light - how has your Outlook been running since this most recent repair? Do you have any further concerns with your Outlook that we could look into with you?

Please let us know if we can be of any assistance,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • fkarasfkaras Member Posts: 14
    I had the same issues on my 2009.. fixed it by tradeing in for a toyota Four Runner. this car leads the pack in towing MPG and dependability. get one
  • mobrionmobrion Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2007 Outlook, 60K+ miles on it, just out of waranty and 400+ miles from home on a vacation the tranmission quits working. Not only that its 4am in the morning. Only first gear works, no reverse either. Crawl around the small NM town looking for a GM dealer. End up sleeping in the GM parking lot with our two dogs and wait for the service department to open. 7:30am, service dept says, its internal. $3400.00 bill is expected. The kicker is we have to rent a car to get home, then drive the whole way back to get our outlook, basically doing our crappy vacation twice. No sign of any problem, just quits working. Love it. Thanks to GM we now have been stranded twice in the middle of nowhere. Now on vacation we carry a hand gun, we feel safer sleeping in back alleys when our car breaks down.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mobrion,
    I apologize for your experience and frustrations. Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns and experience. Can you please email me with your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this further for you. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • mobrionmobrion Member Posts: 2
    To all 'gmcustsvc' representatives. You really need to move past your scripted/boiler plate responses at this point. With 33 pages of complaints all about the same three things, Water Pumps, Transmissions and Leaky roofs; there is pretty good evidence of consistent problems. Why not try something more creative like: I'm sorry to hear you had to pull your child out of college this year due to our engineers signing off on a bad transmission design. Or, as you know we've been experiencing financial issues and have discontinued several of our brands, pontiac, saturn and others. This would be a good time to find something else to drive before you get stuck with 3k to 5k bill for known mechanical problems. Even better. We the GM management recognize some ongoing issues and we've decided to send all saturn outlook owners who have had to pay for transmission replacements a 3k check to help cover your losses, thanks for being loyal GM customers. Now to answer your response, we won't be able to get to our car for another week or so since it's in another state being worked on and wont be ready for at least 1 to 2 weeks. If and when we get our vehical back we'll be sure to keep you informed of our progress.
  • esdene3esdene3 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I still have the problem with our 2009 Saturn Outlook. We took it to the dealer to fix and they claim that they didn't feel the loss of power while in the middle of climbing a hill or on the highway when approaching 40mph and 80 mph. We filed a report with GM and nothing came of it. My car was with the dealership for 3 months and I was told that I needed to change my oil more often. How do we fix the problem? Wiring harness? Do we have to pay for that? We're stuck and very saddened everytime we get in the car. If the problem can be fixed we'll be happy otherwise I'd have to say this truck sucks.
    Good morning esdene3,

I see that you have possibly worked with Customer Assistance before - would you be willing to get us your case number (71-**********) or the last 8 of your VIN so we could look into that? We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sreadesreade Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    My wife and I are having the same problem. It is definitely transmission related. However, for us it is more like bucking/shifting constantly at those speeds. I would suggest you have them look at the wave plate in the transmission. Eventually, if it goes un-diagnosis for long enough you will lose your transmission. We have just over 70k miles on our 2009 Outlook XR AWD.
    Hello sreade,

Have you gotten this shifting concern looked into already? We'd be happy to follow up with your dealership on any diagnosis you've been in; please feel free to get in touch with us at socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jcoffeyiijcoffeyii Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Saturn Outlook. We bought it used from Honda Cars of Hickory through Hendrick Moter Corps here in NC last Feb. I bought extended warrenty throught the dealership, it was for 1 year. It ran out this Feb. This past Sunday our transmission has came out! It has 102600 miles on it. The factory warrent wasnt due to run out until this July or 100,000 miles whichever came first. We are just 2600 miles over our warrenty and our local GM dealership doens't want to help us due to the fact they don't have records of what has been done to our transmission. We have gave them the name of the dealership it was bought at and serviced the whole time since it was bought brand new. We are the 2nd owners of this car. The car fax has all the information on it to what has been done. I just feel like we are getting the bad end of the deal here because if the GM dealership doesnt want to cover it, we have to pay 3500.00 on a car that we have had for a little over a year! Not to mention we still owe quite a bit of money on it! Its not right or fair to us! Who has 3500.00 to spend on a transmission that obvisiouly seems to be comming out of everyones car that has it!!!! I LOVE my car and need for our family. I just dont think its right if this seems to be an on going problem for everyone else that has the Outlook then why don't they recall it and fix it for us! I'm very disapointed in GM for not wanting to help us!
    Good morning jcoffeyii,

I'm sorry to read about your transmission going out on your Outlook. We'd be happy to look into this situation further with you, if you like. Please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. We can't guarantee results up front, but we'll certainly be thorough in looking through any options that may be available.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tomaratomara Member Posts: 1
    I had found this forum a few months ago before I bought my piece of crap Saturn. I purchased a 2008 Outlook XR with 43K miles from Terry Lee Honda in Indianapolis, Indiana, was told it was a one owner, mint condition. Within 1 day, the steering wheel was making a screeching noise and the DVD player stopped working. Even though I bought an extended warranty, they said their was a bent piece of metal in the steering column and it would cost 800.00 to order a new steering wheel, and as for the DVD player, well, I was out of luck. 4 weeks into owning what I fondly refer to as the POC I was driving down the street, when the engine light came on, the engine overheated, and the car died in the middle of the street. The water pump broke. I had to have the car towed, and had to miss a day and a half of work while it was fixed. 1 month later (this past weekend, while driving home, the transmission just stopped shifting, engine light on again) So, I literally crawl to the dealer, where my car has been for the last 4 days, and they tell me there's a serious internal transmission problem that will take a week to fix. "GM will cover a rental car not to exceed 5 days. However, we recommend that you don't start using that until Tuesday since it may take us all week to fix your car." Priceless So, I had to miss work Friday, and was without a car for 3 more days..... ridiculous. This car is the most unreliable piece of junk I've every had. I can't trust it to go anywhere. GM should be ashamed of themselves for putting anything like this on the road, and putting their customer's lives and safety at risk. I plan to get rid of it the moment the repair is complete..... never again GM, never again.
    Hello tomara,
    I'm sorry that you have had such a difficult experience with your Outlook! Sounds as though the repair is being taken care of under warranty still? Please keep us posted on the progress of the repair, and if we can be of any assistance let us know.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ryanloganryanlogan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007...it was great for 15-20k miles....

So, to this point...I have had all the above issues. Not sure where to start...
    Water pump failure
    Leaking roof
    New steering rack
    Burned out headlight harness
    Continues to make random clanking/knocking sounds all the time when turning
    Transmission fully rebuilt at 70k miles (took a month by the way)
    Timing chain replacement
    Shutters and idles like crap randomly

The best excuse I heard from the dealer was.."Well you know Saturn is gone so it takes a while to get parts sometimes?" Do I look like an idiot? It has the same drivetrain as the Acadia!!!!

My warranty is up in less than a week and it's time for this POS to go.
  • ryanloganryanlogan Member Posts: 2
    I forgot about the passenger airbag sensor that is flaky and won't activate 50% of the time when there is a passenger ....and the flaky radio buttons....and that the drivers seat rocks forward/back randomly depending on where it's positioned on the slider. I am sure there are other things but I'm tired of reliving the issues.
  • sharonell84sharonell84 Member Posts: 2
    Can't believe what my husband and I are reading in these posts. We too have a 2007 Saturn Outlook. Love the car, as we have 3 kids and travel by car a lot. Do NOT like that we have had to put so much money into it over the 5 years we have had it. Literally turned 5 years old on Friday and the transmission went over the weekend. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Not to mention we just spent $1200 two weeks ago on new front breaks and had to rebuild the steering column because it was cracked and leaking power steering fluid. Previous issues have been:
    New Water Pump
    New Front Struts
    Serpantine Belt replacement
    2 burnt headlights w/ melted harness (did get reimbursed as it was a recall)
    Car only has $64,000 miles on it.
    Needed t keep for another 3 years at least. If GM does not pay for this transmission I may need to be talked off of a cliff. So angry right now!!!!!!!
  • nojustice13nojustice13 Member Posts: 5
    Ok everyone, now here comes someone from GM Customer Service saying: "We ar sorry to hear about your problems, have you opened a ticket. We will be glad to assist"..blah blah blah.

Anyway ive waited until now to repost. Ive been having issues for the last 12K miles. Everytime the tranny starts acting up & i have to take it in I have to pay the dealer $100 for a diagnostic for them to just clear the code & not be able to duplicate problem. Then in about 3K miles it starts acting up again just to be told I HAVE TO TAKE TO GM DEALER TO LOOK AT OR THEY WONT ASSIST AT ALL..hmmm starting to sound like a scam already...now for the last couple week when i turn corners its starts feeling like either the drive axle or tranny is jerking & trying to come apart...but still not lights or warnings...so im just waiting until it just gives out and possibly gets me killed...as many of you have stated...I LOVE THIS CAR...but GM has totally lost my respect & future business as a result...i reported the problem before the warranty ran out & now im 10K over & basically SOL unless they finally decide to honor their committment to their customers...TO PROVIDE A SAFE AND RELIABLE VEHICLE!!!!!!
  • redleg83redleg83 Member Posts: 5
    2007 Saturn Outlook - $42000 new. Bottomline: Good looking to look at -- very, very badly engineered vehicle. Cabin water saturated several times due to missing drain hose in sunroof – dealer repaired, carpet pulled due to mold, A/C de-molded (still smells); power steering unit failed; transmission gear (3rd) failed; brake master cylinder failed; Heavy Duty Brakes (option for towing) rotors required turning at 25k, just replaced at 60k; steering rack failed; three weeks ago-both the moon roof and sun roof seals failed (water poured into car). We were directed by dealer to change oil every 1500 miles to prevent timing belt from breaking; the power-train synch is horrendous with the vehicle experiencing acceleration delays to the point that we feel unsafe merging or passing in traffic; and finally, believe or A/C is beginning to fail (system is losing ability to cool)...even after religiously having the system serviced on time....oh yeah...tried to replace a headlight bulb the other day....requires one remove the front tires in order to cut an access panel through the wheel wells...other option is to remove the front end fascia –nothing like a great design. :sick:
    redleg83,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? Can you please email me with your VIN, dealer of choice, and current mileage? I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • sharonell84sharonell84 Member Posts: 2
    Christina, I spoke to Christine in Customer Service on 6/4/2012. file # is 71-1073646388 and my vin # is 5GZEV13757J157841. The GM Service person I spoke w/ in Danvers, MA @ Herb Chambers said I had a broken wave plate. Also said this was a known problem w/ these vehicles. Therefore, even though I am 4 days out of my warranty, they will pay for the repair. Great for me, but I am concerned this was a safety issue. If this is a known problem to GM why wouldn't they have a recall. I was on the highway w/ my children when this problem occurred. Vehicle would not come out of 1st gear. Also it sounds as if the cracked steering column I just had replaced at a cost of about $800 is another common problem these vehicles have had. Another safety concern, as this caused me to lose my power steering. Will I ever recoup that money. Where do I send my bill???
    Good morning sharonell84,

I see that your current agent is scheduled to contact your dealership today; I will add your post here to your case and notify your agent that you have been in touch.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ellimacellimac Member Posts: 6
    Well, bad as it may be, it's nice to know I am not the only one experiencing all these problems. My Outlook never did shift correctly, I was told that was the way they were built as well. However, just before my warranty ran out, it wouldn't shift out of first and I got stranded. The dealership fixed it. BUT, since then, it shifts horribly slow (as others have noted, hesitates, clunky shifting etc) , to the point of being dangerous . I called GM and filed a complaint, brought it to the dealer, who was upset that I went over their heads. Couldn't get through to them that the issue was shifting, they kept trying to clear the check engine light that came on after they had in the shop. I brought it in twice, same thing. No resolution and they got kind of nasty with me, saying I caused their dealership problems because I called GM. This was in the fall of 2011. The check engine light is still on, my warranty has expired, and the shifting issue, as well as the leaky roof, has gotten worse. I don't want to go to a dealer because it seems that I take it home with more issues than when I brought it in. I loved this car, but now I am afraid it's not reliable.
    ellimac,
    I'm sorry that you have had such a negative experience. I understand that you no longer wish to work with a dealership, and I just wanted to express my apologies. If we can ever be of assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ellimacellimac Member Posts: 6
    sarah,
    while my dealership experience was negative I am more than willing to work with a dealership to correct these problems. I will say that the dealership service dept where I bought my Saturn was wonderful, unfortunately they are no longer a GM dealership. My comments concerned a dealership that I went to after Saturn went out of business. Since it is the only one near me I have to work with them.
  • nojustice13nojustice13 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2012
    Ellimac,
    Im deffinately one of those people that continue to have problems with my transmission...like everyone else it really started just before warranty ran out. Took it too dealership & they cleared check engine code, after makine me pay $100 diagnostic, then said i needed another "flush". I had just had one a year earlier during normal maintenance. Called GM Customer Services & was told in order for them to even consider assisting in future that i had to not only use a GM dealer, but also had to do what they recommended...so another $300...well now 10K mile & 2 diagnostics later, my tranny sounds like its about to explode under my vehicle, but hey no lights are coming on...i wonder if they just disconnected it last time...Unfortunately like alot of people today, i cant afford to go out and get a new vehicle & this was the first brand new vehicle i ever owned & i still love it, but my experience with GM has been HORRIBLE. Oh & to shed light on why your dealer is probably mad is because apparently once a car has passed its warranty, they have to agree to "eat" some of the cost of the repair because they aren't reimbursed by GM. That i got from an actual GM Customer Service Agent...so makes since why dealer isn't being more helpful.
    ellimac,

I am unsure if you have used it before, but if you visit http://www.gm.com/vehicles/dealerLocator.html you can try to locate other Saturn-friendly dealerships in your area. I hope it's helpful for you!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • brianc936brianc936 Member Posts: 1
    Same issues as others. My transmission went out this weekend, shop tells me they need to rebuild for $2800. One month out of warranty! No more GM's for me!
    brianc936,

Have you opened a Service Request with our Customer Assistance Center already on this issue? If we can get one started for you to look into this further with your dealership, please send us the following information at socialmedia@gm.com:
    Your name and Edmunds username
    Phone and address
    The last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage
    The name of your involved dealership

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • macsaturn07macsaturn07 Member Posts: 1
    As i reviewed the previous posts from Saturn owners, I have come to a conclusion that Saturn outlook is not reliable and is at fault for this occurring problem. I have a Saturn Outlook 07, and my transmission just gave in over the weekend. The problem was, my small children were in the car with me on the freeway when the transmission broke down, fortunately we were able to stop at a safe place but as you can see, this is an extreme problem with safety issue AND lack of customer service. Apparently, my warranty just ran out last month therefore I have to replace a new transmission out of my own pocket and I just had the Saturn Outlook for two years. And the problem is, we don't have money put aside to FIX this car. The problem is Saturn has many many problems with the vehicle and they failed to follow up with the issues. I have owned the Saturn car for two years now and during the two years, I have taken the car into GM service at least 7 times. Like previous posts, our Saturn has many similar problems with others Saturn and I feel like Saturn is just about the brand and not about quality of their product. I am not pleased with how the car function. I am extremely disappointed in Saturn, as well as GM customer service. This is our first family car, as I thought it would be a safe family car that is why we purchased the car in the first place. This will be our first and last car from Saturn as well as any GM brand. I am very disappointed with our experience with Saturn.
  • jen4elijen4eli Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 saturn outlook and my service stabilitrak light flashed on then off yesterday. Now my car is running so poorly, its like an old putt putt..it shakes and hesitates like it about to stall. We are a one car family on a budget, and i cant afford this car if it has all the issues i see posted. It only has 54,500K miles and we purchased it in Dec. Why on earth has GM not done the right thing and recalled these vehicles to correct these issues. I am currenly looking into filing a complaint/suit as to this issue. I just want my car fixed...I absolutly love it and it fits my family perfectly. We had this issue a few months ago, but the dealership said if the light is off they cant diagnose it. WTH..it flashs on then off right away.
  • tgiarratanatgiarratana Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I purchased a 2008 Outlook new. At just over 50,000 miles, the powersteering needed to be replaced at a cost of nearly $2,000. This was no longer covered by the warranty. At 67,000 miles, the transmission went out. It was towed to a nearby garage and the failed transmission was replaced with a new GM transmission at a cost of over $4,000. I learned yesterday that, while the transmission was still under warranty, GM is refusing to reimburse the cost. While my legal fees will no doubt exceed any reimbursement that I may receive, I have turned the matter over to my attorney to pursue reimbursement and will inform friends, family and business associates about the way GM has dealt with my wife and me in hopes of steering potential buyers away from GM products going forward.
    macsaturn07,
    I'm sorry to read about your transmission replacement. You mention GM Customer Service - have you already established a Service Request with us? If so, could we get that case number (71-**********) to check in on its progress? You can reach us at socialmedia@gm.com
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    :lemon: Hopefully this is my final post and warning. RE: 07 Outlook - Now our AC is switching on/off by itself...and other electrical anomalies are popping up...lights flashing on and off...etc... We are looking tomorrow at our new vehicle (Toyota Land Cruiser!)...the only question is what will the dealer give us on the Saturn trade....not expecting much. Good bye all...(unless of course something happens w/the Saturn in which I will post yet again). The 8 Passenger GM SUVs 2007-2008..GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook/Buick Enclave/Chevy Traverse are all wonderfully envisioned designs which have fallen short on engineering execution. Stay away from these vehicles unless you enjoy visiting and drinking coffee with your local service shop! adios amigos! :lemon:
  • bgin2lovebgin2love Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Saturn Outlook 2007 since 2010. I have had leaking of the roof since 6 months of the purchase. My transmission went! I had to replace my head lights 7 times beofre the recall came in! not to mention the tickets from the Police reminding me tha the light I just fixed NOLONGER is working a day or two later! (3) tickets! Not my power steering is messed up! what the hell is going on? I have a 5 year maint plan with my chevy dealer. I get my oil changed ON TIME! my tires are rotated regularly.. Have my tune-ups on time. what more am I to do. Are all these lemons??? so want to get rid of this vehicle. and I brought it cash... book value stinks!! GM pls help ME!!!!
    bgin2love,
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information? Please include a brief description of your concerns. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • jah6719jah6719 Member Posts: 4
    What a nightmare... 07' Outlook with 72K miles.... BUT 6 weeks out of warranty. Lost 3rd gear (+ reverse and 5th) :sick: while on vacation. Searching found it sounds like a known issue (wave plate) on these models and there is a TSB. Stopped at a GM dealer. They really didn't seem to care. "If it's out of warranty there's nothing really we can do." I talked to another dealer (former Saturn) about an hour away. They said it would likely be covered by GM but his service dept. "decision maker" was not in (Friday afternoon). Then he told me if I could "limp" it home I'd probably have the most luck with my "home dealership." AHHHH :mad: ... Well guess what... I'm on vacation, 4 hours from home and would like to GET IT FIXED! I shouldn't have to be at home. A GM dealership is a GM dealership and should be able to help a loyal customer of 14 GM vehicles over the last 18 years out.
  • johnnyboy17johnnyboy17 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    When I read over the post by "Busiestmom," she was describing the exact same issues we have been facing with our 2007 Saturn Outlook. We purchased this vehicle used, but also expecting that we should not face any major issues.

This car has seen two trips to the shop so for. First, we noticed fluid leaking out of the engine and turned out to need the water pump replaced. Next, we began seeing extremely sluggish performance out of the engine/transmission; this resulted in a new "clutch wave plate" being installed. In addition, we have been having problems with the passenger airbag light illuminating (I believe that it is the sensor in the seat) but the dealer states that they cannot replicate it.

Most recently, my family and I were headed home and we all of a sudden had no power to accelerate from the stoplight. Luckily we pay for the Onstar service that will provide diagnostics for us. Here is what we have:

P0700 - Transmission Control Module Requested Malfunction Indicator Light Illumination

P0716 - Input Speed Sensor Performance

B0081 - Passenger Presence System 1 Internal Electronic Malfunction

I am very hesitant to return to the dealer here as they obviously cannot seem to find these issues that are happening to my vehicle. Secondly, it would appear that many other GM customers seem to be having these same issues.

As you know, the warranty is now expired on this vehicle removing any liability off of GM and onto me. With the amount of recalls, service, and hassle I have encountered with this vehicle, I am becoming increasingly frustrated. What advice/recommendations do you have to help me have this vehicle repaired for the last time?

-Jon
    Good afternoon Jon,

My apologies that this response may be a bit late in coming. I can understand your hesitancy to return to the dealership, but a diagnostic visit is where we would need to start if you haven't been there over the past 30 days for these concerns. If we can look further into this with you, please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • integrityplzintegrityplz Member Posts: 12
    I am right there with you how many people are going to be hurt financially or physically before some responsibility on the part of gm is going to be taken . I have a 2007 saturn outlook I have already replaced a bushing in the steering column the roof leaks( a known outlook problem) my driver side headlight cuts in and out and now i too have something wrong with my transmission. I have a jeep liberty 2003 with 150,000 miles and only one minor problem the whole time i have owned it. Should have gotten a jeep comander will not be buying gm again if they don't want to stand behind their products and do the right thing. I too have children thankfully my 16 year old learning to drive was not driving. If saturn,gm would read all these posts it is not only one person. Integrity is how you get return customers. oh and of course my vehicle would be over warranty by a mere 3,000 and some miles isn't that convenient :sick: :cry: :mad:
    Good morning,

What are your plans for addressing the transmission concern you're currently having? If we can look into anything for you, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include a summary of the transmission concern as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    My last post - $42k new, traded @ $13k....about 4k below what I should have received....but as the man said "you know you are trading in a Saturn Outlook....which has known problems with leaks, transmissions, components...etc..." :mad: Our 07 Outlook was a beautiful car...but terrible to maintain....no more. Our new car is a 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser (20k miles!)....a little less room....but a great vehicle with a fantastic maintenance reputation to boot. Bye bye forum. ;)
    Well it was my transmission. Got a hold of gm they are looking into my case. Hope they can restore my faith in gm will keep posted. Car is only 3000 miles out of warranty hope i don't have to fix myself or i will be trading for a non gm vehicle. I am going to keep my head up and hopefully i can be a case for gm to show their integrity and stand behind their product
  • frs929frs929 Member Posts: 51
    I have been reading these posts and must agree that the 07 Outlook has many problems including the big one, the transmission.

Our problems started with the waterpump going out at 56000. Little did I know that this was the start of the problems.

In march of the this year we had to replace the master clyinder and brake booster. While in the shop I asked about the sqeaking steering wheel, Was told it was a bad bushing and it would be $900 to take apart the steering wheel to replace. I had to pass on that.

The car was idling rough so took it in to the shop. They said the plugs needed to be replaced. At 87700. It was not quite the 100,000 that was according to scheduled maint. That was expensive.

It was about this time that we noticed the transmisson slipping. Press on the accelerator and the rpms went up and the car didnt move. I called GM about the warranty and they said 100,000 or 5 yrs. Well we were good on 100,000 but the 5 yrs was May. So we are stuck with the bill and GM is off the hook. Its in the shop as we speak and the bill is not going to be pretty. I would think that since this seems to be a problem that GM would have addressed it by now. I can hardly wait to see what breaks next. Everything is so darn expensive to fix on this car. I have a Mecury Sable that is 11 yrs old and 144,000 and not near the problems this car has. We will be in the market for a new car in a few months and IT WILL NOT BE A GM Product.
    I have owned a sunfire and grand am prior it this car and am not disappointed with GM as a whole this line including th enclave and Arcadia too have many of the same issues. There are technical service bulletins out for steeering.transmission.water leaks,among some others. The nhsp is looking into the headlight problem right now as I am sure more will follow I found on car and safety website numbers over 7 digits of reported problems. I for now must step back and allow GM the chance to renew my faith I will keep u posted on my progress