Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Camry

mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
Just to keep things interesting and maintain the Numero Uno best selling car in America, Toyota is releasing the 2009 Camry in January 21st of 2008. Yes you read it right here folks. 2009 Coming in. Reason keep ahead of the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, and other wanna be's.

"Camry, the best-selling passenger car in America, redefines global standards for comfort and performance. The new base MSRP for the 2009 Camry sedan ranges from $18,720 for the base grade with a four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission to $28,270 for the premium XLE grade with a V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission.

The 2009 Camry sedan combined base MSRP increases by $150, or 0.7 percent. 2009 Camry Hybrid will have a new base MSRP of $25,350. The Camry Hybrid combined base MSRP increases by $150, or 0.6 percent.

The 2009 Camry arrives in dealerships on January 21, 2008."

Mack strikes again!

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That'll be a short model year for the 2008's!
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    It was a short model year for the 07's also.
    Mack
    :shades:
  • ryan562ryan562 Member Posts: 1
    So there are no body/engine changes to the 09 Camry?
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    would this apply to Canadian dealers as well? I'm in the market for a car and will gladly wait for 09s if it's in Jan.
    I don't see any changes to the body yet. That is usually done on the 4th year of a redesign. They maybe an change to the engine and more standard equipment such as VSC on the 4 cylinder. I'll have more as I get it.
    Mack :shades:
    Not sure about Canada. I'll find out.
    Mack
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Actually, the '07 had a very long model year - released in Feb. 06, thru Aug. 07.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I think Toyota should introduce the 2010 Camry in Feb. 2008. :confuse:
    Actually the 07 was released in March of 06. I'm getting confused now with all these early releases they've doing since. So now the 09 Camry is going to upstage the 09 Corolla and Matrix which are scheduled to be released on Feb 11th, 2008.
    '
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think Toyota should introduce the 2010 Camry in Feb. 2008.

There is some sort of regulation that says the MY can only be one year ahead of the year in which the vehicle is released. But your point is well-taken. ;)
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I was anticipating valvematic would be introduced for all 4 cylinder camry for MY 2009 (about 190+ hp). Now i would highly doubt it, since the Matrix/Corolla XRS is using the same old 4 cylinder (158 hp). I am expecting stability control be standard, and possible minor facelift. (ie. corolla, matrix, and sienna have MMC on the 3rd model yr)
    VSC should be standard, image
    however it's one year too early for a facelift.

Camry has been on a 5 year cycle since the 1992 model year and the refresh occurs on the 4th year of the redesign. However, the way Toyota's been doing things lately it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they put a refresh on the car.

It may look like this:

We'll see next month.
    the grille reminds me of a VW
    overall it looks rather nice, though I know a lot of ppl will say its boring.
    they have to include VSC what with Honda giving it on the Accord :P

Don't forget us Canucks!
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    That will be great if the VSC becomes standard -- it will end the difficulty of finding it on LE 4-cylinder models.

Let's hope the facelift is added as well -- it'll get rid of the current car's most unsightly feature: the grille with the "hanging" Toyota emblem.

Thanks for the info!
  • mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    Well there are a few things that need to be added to the camry to make it perfect:
    More horse power between 175-190+ hp for the 4cyl.

VSC should become standard at this point in time, since it will be madatory on 2011

Make all colors, power seat and alarm available = standard in all models

Body wise, maybe some refine ment on the inside and the tail.

If they do so, no matter what car you throw out there, it will be the winner

any ideas if the 2010 will come on july/august 2008 or so?
    No idea on the 2010. I imagine they will let the 2009 have a long model year then introduce the 2010 as a refresh.

The unsightly nose and hood ornament on the Camry is actually a safety feature. It was designed to minimize injuries to a pedestrian in the event of an accident. The nose actually "gives" to cushion the impact.
    Mackabee
  • mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    interesting, i will be honest, i will probably leave it as it is and add the previously mentioned safety feutures. I was just wondering since someone mentioned the july/august kick off. i will definetelly buy mine next year.
    Traditionally the Camry has always been introduced in Aug/Sep.
    With this generation they switched intros on us and brought it in March of 06. I think what they are trying to do is keep the momentum going. The Landcruiser was just introduced a month ago. The 2008 Sequoia hit dealerships today! The 09 Camry will be here in January. The 09 Corolla and Corolla Matrix get here in February and who knows what else they have in the works for March!. Oh yeah, the Tundra diesel is coming too although I don't have a firm date on that one yet. Stay tuned. :shades:
  • tuffytuffy Member Posts: 63
    I was in Vietnam last month for 3 weeks and the 2007 Camry there looks exactly like your photo. The Vietnam/Asia version of the Camry looked exactly like a Lexus as the front lights were slightly bigger, the grill was chrome, and the rear lights were all red and slightly widers. It was a much more luxurious looking vehicle than the US version. A number of Americans in my group commented on how nice the Vietnam version looked.

I called Toyota to suggest the 2010 refresh should look exactly like the current version in Vietnam as it was a really sharp looking vehicle and would complete more favorably with the new Accord which is very classy looking with it BMW looks.

I also sugggested Toyota make the keyless ignition standard across all XLE and SE versions (4 and 6 cylinder engines). Do you think that will happend as the keyless entry, being a luxury feature, should be available on all XLEs regardless of the engine.

Do you think Toyota will also improve the 4 cylinder in 2010 by adding more horsepower, increasing gas mileage, and continuning to improve on it's smoothness and quietness so it will rival the the 6 cylinder?

Thanks for comments from anyone!
    Will the 2009 Camry have any refreshed looks, more features, upgraded 4 cylinder engine? Will it be a refreshed version of the current model or just be labeled a 2009 and have only a few minor changes? This means the 2008 version will only be out about 5 months, Sept 07 to Jan 08.

The current Camry is scheduled for a refresh with the 2010 model, will this be the refresh?
    tuffy, I believe the 09 Camry will be the same as the 08 but with VSC standard and maybe some other features. The 08 Accord has standard VSC so Toyota wants to compete with the same equipment. Both vehicles should be within dollars of each other on the MSRP.
    The refresh will be 2010, but I doubt they will give us the Aurion or Lexus look. They seem to save that for Lexus so they can charge more money.
    We'll see next month.
    Mack
    Mackabee, where did you get the picture of a possible Carny refresh. This looks very very similar to the current Camry in Vietnam that is so nice looking?
    There's a few countries that sell two versions of the Camry. This was a question I posed to members some time ago. The winner of the correct answer would have won dinner for two at my cousin Angel's Mexican restaurant in sunny Virginia Beach, Va. No one could tell me.
    Now there's actually three. I'll give you a clue. One of them is a shrimp on the barbie kind of place and the other is where the Lord of the Kings were filmed. The other I'll let you guess.
    :)
    Mackabee

This is the Vietnamese Camry. Looks better than ours to me.
    Diamond white pearl. Another color we don't get in the Camry unless it's an anniversary edition. :(
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    And a beautiful color it is............................
  • sphlsphl Member Posts: 7
    Anybody know if they are going to redesign the console? I find the cheap blue plastic very very ugly - I love everything else about the car. If they are changing that, I am going to wait till Jan :)
    No, the console will stay the same. Are you talking about the blue display?
    Mack
  • abannerabanner Member Posts: 8
    The ENTIRE car will stay the same for 2009.
    not a single thing? not even getting stability control standard?
    Maybe, maybe not. We will see in about four weeks.
    ;)
    Mackabee
    VSC
    My 2008 V6 has a production date of 1-15-08....delivered 1-25-08 (factory ordered 10-2-07).
    If the first 2009 arrives at dealers 1-22-08, sound like the last 2008's (mine) will be coming off the same line as the first 2009's in January. Other than a different window sticker and price, the cars will be the same .
    Don't count on it.
    ;)
    Mack
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    All this talk about a '09 Camry being released in January '08 has me scratching my head :confuse:

I thought the earliest you could release a "new" model using the forward year is in May of the previous year.

So where did we get this information anyway and has it been substantiated by Toyota?

I'm sure at most , the only thing you'll see change in '08 are the tail lights, wheels, some color options and maybe a grill change. nothing substantial is my guess.
  • thomas33thomas33 Member Posts: 9
    Mackabee,
    On 2009 model, do you know can the headrests of two front seats be adjustable back and forth? On 2008 LE, they cannot ...so somebody says they're not comfortable as they should be ... TIA :)
    this is from a Totyota factory rep....

"The 2009 Camry is virtually an exact carry over from the 2008 MY vehicle. Only very minor (probably unseen) changes in the interior will be made. The Camry will have the same specifications, dimensions and standard equipment.

The 2010 Camry will be introduced in Mid-March of 2009 with what Toyota calls a mid-year re-freshening."
    Here's the proof:

Toyota Announces Prices For Four Vehicles In Model Lineup
    11/30/2007 Torrance, CA

Toyota announced mid-year price adjustments to manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) today for the 2008 model year Toyota Yaris, Prius, RAV4, and 2009 Camry and Camry Hybrid.

The 2008 Yaris Liftback and Sedan receive an average price increase of $50, or 0.4 percent. The new base MSRP for the Yaris Liftback ranges from $11,350 for the base grade with five-speed manual transmission to $13,925 for the Yaris Liftback S model with four-speed automatic transmission. The base MSRP for Yaris Sedan ranges from $12,225 for the base grade with five-speed manual transmission to $14,450 for the S model with four-speed automatic transmission.

The 2008 Prius receives an average price increase of $150, or 0.7 percent. The base MSRP for the Prius ranges from $21,100 for the Standard model to $23,370 for the Touring model.

RAV4 4x2 models carry a base MSRP that ranges from $21,250 for the base grade four-cylinder to $25,420 for the Limited V6. The base MSRP for the RAV4 4x4 ranges from $22,650 for the base grade with a four-cylinder to $26,820 for the Limited V6. Total RAV4 average MSRP increases $150 or 0.6 percent.

The new pricing for 2008 Toyota Yaris, Prius and RAV4 will be effective on December 17, 2007.

Camry, the best-selling passenger car in America, redefines global standards for comfort and performance. The new base MSRP for the 2009 Camry sedan ranges from $18,720 for the base grade with a four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission to $28,270 for the premium XLE grade with a V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission.

The 2009 Camry sedan combined base MSRP increases by $150, or 0.7 percent. 2009 Camry Hybrid will have a new base MSRP of $25,350. The Camry Hybrid combined base MSRP increases by $150, or 0.6 percent.

The 2009 Camry arrives in dealerships on January 21, 2008.

:shades:
    More than likely it will be a carry over since it's not due for a refresh until 2010. There will be additional standard equipment to compete with the Accord. That's all I can say for now.
    There will be additional standard equipment to compete with the Accord.

I don't really think that's the reason for the early release. I think it's a trick to try to gain sales. It's a tough decision for a consumer not to buy a Camry b/c it's '09 vs a '08 Accord or or '08 Altima. To be fair, I think Honda and Nissan should just put the '09 label instead of '08 in Jan. as well. :mad:

Also, '09 Corolla will be out in Feb. :surprise:
    So will the Matrix. Trick for what? Camry is still outselling the Accord. What are you getting mad for?
    Mack
    Haha, I don't really care about camry cuz I didn't own ones currently but I just think it's wrong that Toyota introduces the car so early. A '08 Camry will look like a 1 year old car in less than 30 days.
    The 07 was introduced in March of 06. Most people don't even know or care.
    An 08 will look just like an 09 if there are no changes to the exterior which I don't expect there to be. But then again we don't know that for sure. So what brings you to the Camry forum?
  • thomas33thomas33 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info .... :)
  • retiredtechretiredtech Member Posts: 1
    I am ready to buy a new 2008 Camry but with all the problems discussed in various forums and Consumer Reports with engine hesitation and transmission issues on the V6 I am in "hold mode". In fact I was about ready to go with the 2008 Honda Accord until I saw this update on the 2009 Camry. Do you think these problems have been addressed on the 2009?

Retiredtech
    The transmission issues have long been fixed.
    Mack
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Mack, what was the root cause of the V6-6 speed flare issue, and the technical resolution to it? I hadn't heard or read anywhere that the problem was ever identified.

The I4-5 speed problem was resolved with the TSB for performance.
  • carl56carl56 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have information on what if any changes in color the 09 will have? It seems that the Desert Sand color, particularly in the 08 models of the XLE, is difficult to find. I wonder if the color is being phased out for a similar color that currently exist on the newly designed highlander?
    The 2009 Camry will arrive in showrooms mid February,
    Look for no changes in the car, other than the price increase.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sorry, Mack, As I have already informed you I have seen numerous posts involving complaints of flare AND hesitation on some of the '08 Toyota/Lexus models.

Perhaps you should take a WIDER view.

I noticed that you said once before that NONE of your customers ever had or complained of these problems and then when challenged on the issue you admitted that you had heard from others of the continuing complaints.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    In order to eliminate, alleviate, the 1-2 second transaxle downshift delay/hesitation the '08 MY engine /transaxle ECU control firmware has been revised to recognize the rate at which the gas pedal is released. Apparently a QUICK gas pedal release will indicate a desire to slow the vehicle more rapidly and therefore it will be more likely to remain in a lower gear, the current lower gear. On the other hand a slow gas pedal release will indicate the driver's intent to enter cruising mode and therefore the transaxle will likely upshift as normal.

As I have said before, the problem arises when the vehicle has been operating in a lower gear range, say for moderate acceleration, then the driver goes into a brief full lift throttle period, coastdown, and then re-applies throttle to return to the acceleration mode. Such as might often happen in an acceleration lane of a freeway. The smallish (for FE) ATF pump cannot supply enough flow for two quick sequential shift sequences, especially with the engine at idle as a result of the full lift throttle period.

So the idea, new "fix", is to try and detect, sense, the driver's intent by recognizing the rate at which the gas pedal is released.

The difference between QUICK and SLOW...??

Probably a LEARNED driver style/technique parameter once you start the car in motion and continuing, continuous relearning, until you turn the ignition key off.

I would imagine that for most driver's this "new feature" will undoubtedly result in reducing substantially the number of times the 1-2 second delay/hesitation symptom is encountered.

The shift flare....

It looks as if the fill level of the transaxle might have been the problem all along. The new transaxles are sealed, no dipstick, and the instructions for dealer drain/refill clearly imply that the fill level, under or over, is EXTREMELY critical.

The instructions imply that the fill level, adjusted according to current ATF temperature, must be correct within 200ml, about a fifth of a quart.

I suspect the dipstick has been removed to take the DIY owner/driver, or anyone unknowledgeable of the correct procedure, out of the loop.
    Yes, I did say I had heard from others but not from the ones that I sold. Maybe I just have the Midas touch?
    :)
    Mackabee