Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Noises and Sounds

jrosariojrosario Member Posts: 4
Since my first service, I have had a clicking type noise in my front end of the car when I am driveing slowly(parking,pulling into my driveway).The dealer first said that it could be the brakes setting up after the car sat for a while. They "could not duplicate" the sound when the car was dropped off, but I still hear when I drive. Any ideas?

Comments

• homegirl9468homegirl9468 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am new to this forum but was surfing around trying to find Outlook owners that may be having a noise from under the front end. I too have the same noise and it is driving me crazy. I have it in the shop as we speak for the (4th) time the shop men have told me they have heard it, they haven't, replaced struts, told me a rock was hung (somewhere) and to my not so surprised self my Outlook is still making the "cracking/popping/hard to describe noise. I am very dissappointed at this point. You never know when it will happen. You can't make it do it on command. I do hear it more when driving slow, turning, up and down inclines,stop and go(like at red lights). I like your wife feel like I have a Big Lots Buy. My husband and I are in contact with Saturn Manufacturing and have opened a case. Maybe you should do the same and get the owner of the dealership in on it too. Nothing makes me madder than to tell the gods truth and be made feel your hearing things. I would like to talk to you more by private e-mail if possible mine is christie_rachelle@yahoo.com
    Thanks for posting I will check back

Christie in Arkansas
  • spooky1966spooky1966 Member Posts: 3
    A periodic click buzz or chatter, especially right after you start the car is the stability control system doing self tests. Its in the manual under stability control system.
  • jrosariojrosario Member Posts: 4
    The noise happens after driveing 5,10,or even 15 miles, not just when I turn the care on.
    If you have a 2008 model, refer to page 4-6 (StabiliTrak System) in the manual.
  • manufan1manufan1 Member Posts: 26
    It's ABS turned on when the car starts to run and hit certain speed. This happens all the time to my Acadia and I believe it is normal - you should only hear the noise 2 or 3 times when you turn on the car and start accelerate, and then no more noise during the whole trip (because ABS is on), unless the car is turned off, and turned on again.
  • cschapercschaper Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a used 07 xe model outlook and I hear the same noise. It sounds like it's almost coming from the front left of the car. Also the brake pedal squeeks. I also have problems with my transmission. They tried to tell me the noise was my air conditioner!! I still haven't gotten it resolved. I plan on taking it back this week. Did you ever find out what yours was?
  • jrosariojrosario Member Posts: 4
    No. Each time we take it in we can't seem to "duplicate " the noise.
  • outlook08outlook08 Member Posts: 1
    I've had this outlook for about 4 months now and it has been in service 4 times for the front end noise (clunks), the last time it was in the shop they replaced the struts because that is what Saturn told them to do (?). Now after a week I will be bringing it back in a few days for them to rip it apart and try to find something else!
    Has anybody ever gotten anywhere with this? I'm ready to take a loss and trade this thing in for a different vehicle (not Saturn). This is what they did to my vehicle since I purchased it.....
    1- Greased front end.
    2- Changed bushings.
    3- minor adjustments.
    4- struts.
    5- who knows?
  • dlawrence1dlawrence1 Member Posts: 2
    Have you resolved the front end noise- i have the same problem- have not taken it to the repair shop. What was wrong ?
  • dlawrence1dlawrence1 Member Posts: 2
    How did the noise problem get fixed- I have the same noise in the front end ?
  • christoperchristoper Member Posts: 2
    Refer to the owner's manual. A clunck within the first minute after starting is the traction control system startup function per the owners manual. We have had our outlook of over 3 years and have 54,000 miles on it. We hear it every time it starts up, but usually in the garage where the sound is echoed. You could spend good money looking for it but with a 100,000 mile power train warrantee, why would you. We are in the fleet lease management business and I would advise no one to keep a car in excess of 120,000 miles as the costs usually go up substantially. In brief, don't sweat it if you are within the warrantee window.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    there is a bulletin on brake pedal squeek. i believe they change brake fluid. pretty much all 07 and 08s did that mine included.
  • slantwoncrxslantwoncrx Member Posts: 1
    ppl its one of two things axles or the hub bearing and u cant do that urself. well the axles u can. just drain the tranny fluid first.
  • poorinindianapoorinindiana Member Posts: 3
    After 2007 Saturn Outlook has been driven 15+ miles, low humming noise appears in what sounds like the right rear. When brakes are applied it is much louder and deeper. No loss/gain of sound when going around curves. Sound will go away once slowed to 10mph. Steering, braking, etc... not affected. No pulling to one side, no jerkiness, etc... No warning lights and have buzzed OnStar but no codes. Unemployed and trying to find problem myself. Any help/direction will be greatly appreciated.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    wheel bearing??? if so covered under 5/100 if still under that.
    onefunkar - Thank you for your suggestion. I will take a look and let you know.
    Resolved; Rear brake had stuck and burnt up. No signs whatsoever, just humming noise. Hope this helps someone later.
  • gvngmachncgvngmachnc Member Posts: 1
    Seems like GM is really trying to do the right thing for Outlook owners. 55000 miles on mine and they are replacing the struts and steering for free. Hopefully the fix will last longer than 55000 miles.
  • 08outlook08outlook Member Posts: 8
    I bought a used 08 outlook and the week after I bought it found a loud pop in the steering. I test drove the car but missed the noise. I took in back to a dealer and they said there was no issue. That was about 5 months back while it was still under bumper to bumper warranty. I decided to take it back to them yesterday not realizing I was 800miles out of the bumper to bumper and now they want to replace the rack and pinion and they say its not covered!

What gives? It sounds like some other people have had steering related issues covered under powertrain? They quoted me over $1,000 for this repair.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    08outlook,
    I'm sorry to hear about the concern that has surfaced with your Outlook. Have you worked with Customer Assistance on this already?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 08outlook08outlook Member Posts: 8
    We have and they are covering most of the repair. In the end we think it should have been paid for in full but Im glad they are working with us.
    Thank you for getting back with me, and I am glad to hear that you are in touch with Customer Assistance already. Please let us know how the repair turns out!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • manny49manny49 Member Posts: 1
    I,just got a saturn oulook 2008 3 days ago and I just found out there was recalls for this type of suv Iwould like to know if I still can go for it can anybody tell me about?
    edited March 2012
    Call a local GM dealer and give them the VIN. Tell them you want to know if there are any open recalls on this car. If there are, they will fix it. Ours was built late in 2008 so we did not get the wiper motor replaced. Although the wiper transmission froze and had to be replaced last year. (we don't drive it in bad weather and it died from lack of use). The electrical stuff I believe is the rear brake light harnesses, which we had replaced on ours. The other issue we experienced, that is not part of the recall, was a melting of the connector of the low beam headlights. I believe it was a H9 connector. We ordered ceramic ones from AutoZone ($25 each) and I removed wheel wheel skirts and replaced the the connectors that way. If you follow the book, you have to remove the bumper and grill to get the lights out. If you go to the dealer, they will do it my way and charge you for the book way.

I should tell you that we really love that car :) and we plan to have it a long time. Hope it helps you.

Recall Search engine

Results : 3 | All records displayed
    Make: SATURN Model: OUTLOOK
    Model Year: 2008
    Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: AUG 06, 2008
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 08V410000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:LINKAGES

Check to Request Research. Submit below. Get Summary
    Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: AUG 27, 2008
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 08V441000 NHTSA Action Number: EA08010
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Check to Request Research. Submit below. Get Summary
    Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: JUN 04, 2010
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V240000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
    Good morning manny49,

Congratulations on your new Outlook!

As spooky1966 said, you can contact your dealership to learn more information about recalls, or if you wanted to do it over the internet, send and email to us at socialmedia@gm.com with the last 8 digits of your VIN and we'll get you recall information as well.

Safety recalls do not have any mileage or time parameters, and so will not expire. If there are open recalls, we can certainly get those taken care of for you!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dmitriyvdmitriyv Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 08 saturn outlook a year ago and now my ac is making a wierd brief noise when i press the ac button, it only does it for 1 second when i press the botton, its like a springy noise, and then after it it works perfectly Can someone please tell me whats going on?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dmitriyv,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. I would recommend having the dealer take a look at it next time you are in for service. Please keep me updated.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mjh2mjh2 Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Outlook squeeks like rubber on rubber when you turn the steering wheel. The longer you drive the worse it gets. Anybody have an idea on what it is and what it takes to fix?
  • kyra4kyra4 Member Posts: 3
    Hey i have the same noise looking for a soulition?? My 2007 Outlook squeeks like rubber on rubber when you turn the steering wheel. The longer you drive the worse it gets. Anybody have an idea on what it is and what it takes to fix?

Help please!!!
  • kyra4kyra4 Member Posts: 3
    well the noise in steering wheel is still there.......any one have any ideas??
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning kyra4,

Have you had any luck getting this checked out since your last post? If we can check into anything for you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

Sarah, GM Customer Service