Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our first look at Saturn's next SUV(Inside Line)

Talk about it in the 2008 Saturn Vue (Opel Antera) discussion.

If you are more interested in banko talk, check out the A World Without General Motors? column.

Steve, Host
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    We have a 2005 4 cylinder, 5 speed VUE and our mileage is like yours. I am not unhappy--what were you hoping to get?
  • johnbjohnb Member Posts: 32
    I also have a 2004 4cyl 5sp VUE that gets 20-23 city, 23-25 highway. I have been tracking the mileage since new and have over 32k on the VUE now with no significant improvement after the "break in" period.

I have grown to accept the city mileage, but wish my highway mileage was closer to that of other people. I drive pretty much 70mph and use cruise almost exclusively.

Sometimes I wonder if it is the quality of gas, but have not conducted enough studies of various gas stations around here to come to any conclusions.

Also, my gas gauge drops in a unusual fashion. I can get 100+ miles on the first 1/4 tank, 80 miles on second 1/4 tank, 60 miles on the third and 40-50 miles on the last 1/4 tank. I understand that the first 1/4 tank will go farther because the fuel level is above the max reading of the fuel level indicator, but why doesn't the gauge drop evenly after that? Does the VUE consume more fuel as the tank level drops (or is the tank not a uniform shape)?

All in all, though, the VUE has been a great family vehicle and much easier to travel in than our 1996 SL2 is (which has also been an excellent vehicle and has 160,000+ miles now).
    My highway figures are higher than yours. I get about 28 on the road. Like you, though, I cruise at about 70 to 75 mph as much as possible, so I know that is robbing me of efficiency.

My fuel gauge does like yours. When the light comes on, it will take 12 gallons. With a 16 gallon tank, I still have a quarter tank left. I used to have a Chrysler van that did the same thing--the light would come on and it would take 16 gallons to fill up. With a 20 gallon tank, I had 20% of my gas left. My Ford F-150 also shows lower than it is. With the needle showing 1/4 tank, it will only take about 20 gallons. With a 30 gallon tank, I still have 1/3 of a tank when it says 1/4. I have just come to accept it in all vehicles. When in doubt, use yout odometer instead of your gauge.
  • hammy233hammy233 Member Posts: 24
    Hello: anybody have a solution for the "sandblasted" pitted mouldings on the 06 Vues :confuse: .......take a look on the moulding on the rear doors at the wheel wells...the leading edges are pitting and chipped? I am still waiting to hear back from my service manager.....this wasn`t an issue on previous models as they didn`t paint that part. :(
  • duanessongduanessong Member Posts: 4
    Does Honda provide the transmission for the Vue V-6 in both the FWD and AWD?
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Yes.
    A PreVue of Saturn's SUV Future (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • pisulinopisulino Member Posts: 78
    So the shortlist is down to the 2007 VUE

or this:

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/07outlander/

10 - year/160,000 km Powertrain Limited Warranty
    The powertrain is the heart of your vehicle, so we do everything we can to make sure it never skips a beat. That includes protecting it with a warranty that'll last long after the new - car smell fades. Sure, 10 - year/160,000 km coverage is bold, but we have over 80 years of car - building confidence to back it up.

5 - year/100,000 km New Vehicle Limited Warranty
    The Mitsubishi model lineup is a blend of eye - catching style and adrenalin - pumping performance. There are thousands of parts that go into our performance vehicles, and we back just about everything for 5 years or 100,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.

5 - year/Unlimited km Roadside Assistance
    We can even help with flat tires, stormy weather and bad karma. Just call Roadside Assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and we'll provide the emergency services you need, including free towing, battery boosts, tire service, fuel and fluid delivery and more1.
  • dclark2dclark2 Member Posts: 91
    Check out the '07 Suzuki XL7 which comes out this fall and also has a 100K mile warranty. It has a frame reinforced body, seats 7, is bigger than an Equinox,Suzuki built cadillac 3.6 motor (255 hp) gets 23mpg and can be had with navigation for $29K.
  • crj19crj19 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if there is a fuse for the DRL's, I know there is a relay for them but a fuse??
  • randogredrandogred Member Posts: 1
    do you have an automatic trans
    No, it's a 5 speed manual...
  • jpercivaljpercival Member Posts: 5
    It would be nice if Saturn vue 2008 had a wider stance to avoid rollovers and a few more horses. I have a 2005 AWD with 250HP. Would like to see a twin overhead cam FI with turbo. I get 20 in city driving and 26 on highway. A larger gas tank -20 gal. would be nice.
  • mbutlerbrownmbutlerbrown Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have read some of your posts and have recently found out about this forum. I have owned three Saturns and have been very pleased. I am selling my 2002 VUE, because we have a baby on the way and need the extra cash.

It is black w/ gray cloth, 52,000 miles, 4 cyl, 5 speed manual, traction control, ABS, power windows/mirrors/locks, cd/cass, compass/temp rearview mirror, most of you know the rest. The tires have about 10,000 miles on them.

I live in Madison, WI. We are asking $9900/offer. This is below blue book as we are motivated to sell. I would appreciate the help with selling this vehicle and welcome any questions.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You should check out How to sell your car..

And, just to be clear, these boards are not set up for buying and selling.

tidester, host
  • tracyegtracyeg Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know how much gas is left in the tank when the gas light comes on? Is there another gallon, two gallons or more?
  • jr1jr1 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if the 2007 and 2008 model of Vue will have the Honda 3.5 V6 or the GM V6? Any info on the GM V6 for the Vue? How is the gas mileage,etc? I have an 05 V6 Vue and have had real good luck with it. Good gas mileage and lots of pep. The better half rather drive it than the 05 4Runner. thanks in advance for the info. wish you well.
    If your VUE is like mine, you should have about 4 gallons left. When my light comes on, it takes about 12 gallons to fill. Next time your light comes on, fill it up and subtract the amount you bought from the capacity of the tank and you can check yours.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Does any body know if the 2007 VUE will be available in a gas engine. I am not interested in a hybrid.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    all 2007 VUEs will have gas engines, even the hybrid.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Will there be a none hybrid available?
    I know that a hybrid has a gas engine and an electric motor. thanks for this info.
    From what I've read and what the dealers rep told me, the line up will be the same as 2006 with the addition of the hybrid.
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    I'm still doing some shopping for a 2006 VUE (I have a 2003 already), and I was wondering - when would 2007s be expected to begin arriving at dealerships? August?

I may want to wait a few months for the new model year....
    I believe 2007 is the last of the VUE as we know it, isn't it? With the new and bigger Outlook on the way, I think the next VUE will be smaller and not made with polymer panels. If a VUE like what we have now is what you want, then you need to buy one in the next year or so.
    Yes, I believe that is true Saturns will be a reskinned division/offshoot of Opel.
    Yep, I will get either a 2006 or 2007 and them keep the polymer clad SUV for a little while ;)
    On a related note, I've been driving on fumes lately, in the expectation that I would be trading in my 2003 VUE any day now. The gas light has been on very frequently :)

One day, when the fuel level got especially low, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. It stayed on a while after I refueled, but then disappeared a couple of days later. The manual has an explanation for this phenomenon.
    Our "Service Engine Soon" light came on a few months back. It came on, a day later it went off, then a few days later it came back on. Took it in and it was a bad O2 sensor and no big issue. Covered under warranty, anyway.
  • jpercivaljpercival Member Posts: 5
    They are not required in AZ , can they be disabled. Annoying to unlock Vue 2005 and have them on all of the time.
    Really? I like them. They are a safety feature. They allow you to be more visible on the road. They are really useful in twilight hours when you would not normally use headlights; and, they allow you to be seen when the sun is behind you and oncoming traffic may find it harder to see you in a glare. They might save your life one day. Having them come on when you unlock the VUE seems like a small price to pay, in my opinion. If you really don't like them, I'm sure just about any mechanic can turn them off.
    Took delivery today on a 2006 VUE AWD, black, with the Custom, Comfort and "Sun and Sound" packages. I'll try to share my upcoming experiences, for those also looking to take the plunge.
    Congrats! Please share info about your deal over in the Saturn Vue: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too. A image album would be nice too. :shades:

Steve, Host
    Steve - I'll do that.
  • johnbjohnb Member Posts: 32
    To stop the daytime running lights from coming on when you unlock your VUE, simply set your emergency brake when you park. We have the 2004 5-speed manual VUE, and we always set our emergency brake. I forget that many people with automatic transmissions seldom set theirs.

This doesn't address your desire to turn them off permanently, but will keep them from coming on when you unlock your VUE.
  • katicuskaticus Member Posts: 1
    I'm experiencing this. I just leased a 2006 Vue, filled up w/ gas (after it being very low) on Tues and it came on this morning. Dealer said to retighten the gas cap (is it just me or is the gas cap pretty poor quality?) and see if that helps. I haven't tried it yet but will tonight.

I'm in Canada .. am assuming we have similar Vues?
  • lucyinfinitilucyinfiniti Member Posts: 17
    I test drove a 2006 VUE AWD V6 yesterday and was very disappointed. When flooring the gas to about 70 or 80 the vehicle would start understeering as well as when I tested the break by standing on them. Made me feel very unsafe and made me leave the lot right away and probably won't buy a Saturn anytime soon.
    I see you drive a Sportage. I owned a Sephia myself from 1995 to 2001 and it was really a decent vehicle. However, I would take my VUE over a Sportage any day of the week. I've got a feeling the price tag drove you away and not the performance. Either that or the dealership staff drove you away when they saw how poorly you drive. Thanks for contributing!
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    What Saturn salesman allowed you to "floor the gas to 70 or 80" and "testing the break (sic) by standing on them"?

Our 2004 V6 AWD VUE accelerates and brakes quite nicely, thank you very much. I don't expect it to corner like a sports car.
    The way to properly test a car and it's limits is to floor the gas (test acceleration, torque, and off the line handling). Breaks are an essential breaking feature and if breaks on any vehicle can't stop on a dime than it's a piece of crap and not safe for me and my family to be in. Also about my Kia Sportage, to tell you the truth my Kia has tons over the Saturn, it's a better vehicle through and through. Better value, better quality, better warranty, and not made in America!!! Understeering is not something the driver can do the vehicle does it! Obviously the VUE can't aggressive driving, therefore an unsafe car especially here in NYS where we drive over 90 mph on the Thruway. :P
    Hmm... I drove the sportage (as well as a few others) before I bought the VUE and I felt the VUE handled and drove better than the sportage I drove... the VUE V6 also gets better mileage.
    Was it a 2005 or newer? Just for your information the V6 4WD Sportage is rated at 19/23 basically the same as the AWD V6 which is rated at 19/25. That 2 point difference doesn't really matter since it's so small. Also when it comes to driving the VUE would be more safe with understeering and probably wouldn't do that if it had ESP (Electronic Stability Control) which it doesn't and comes standard on the Sportage. So, again I say the Kia Sportage is a better vehicle than the VUE in every way, especially safety! : :mad: :P ;)
  • speedingticketspeedingticket Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2006 V6 Vue, hands down better than the Sportage in almost every way. I looked at the Sportage and felt it was smaller, lacked power and features and generally felt cheap. When it came down to it the Honda powertrain had me sold. But to each their own, I have 14,000 km on mine and its truly a remarkable vehicle. I guess some people are much harder to please than others. ;) Safety ratings need to taken with a grain of salt. You roll any SUV or hit something hard enough and you have a chance of getting hurt or killed. Too many people rely on these "safety systems" like they are some guardian angel. Safer driving habits save lives, not 10 airbags.
    It was an 06 and I didn't want 4WD/AWD so I drove the FWD version. Overall the V6 in the sportage felt like a dog compared to the VUE. Loaded with 4 of us(~550 pounds) the Sportage was barely adequate. Sportage also doesn't offer side airbags that I want for the family. I believe the VUE got 5 stars front and side w/airbags. Both were about the same price but they offered me $1500 off the VUE and Kia only came down $500. I was disappointed with the engine, drivability and the interior was cheaper looking than the VUE. I really like the look of the new sportage, but I gotta like driving it too.
  • speedingticketspeedingticket Member Posts: 33
    .....and some people argue just for the sake of argument .....as well as having too much time on their hands
    First let me say that it was a mistake to not want 4WD. 4WD makes the vehicle that much better, I like knowing that I have the traction of all four wheels most if not all the time. Secondly it helps move the vehicle around better. I think AWD vehicles have better handling than FWD or sometimes RWD ones do. Subaru seems to sell a lot of vehicles and theirs all have AWD, but don't get me started on how much better they are than a junk heap of a Saturn. I'm sorry that the Sportage couldn't pull you around. Maybe if you got AWD it would have. You also must take into account that the V6 in the Sportage is a 2.7L not a 3.5L as in the VUE. Did you know that going in?! Did you know that it was a smaller engine for a slightly smaller vehicle?! Maybe you should've thought to yourself, "Hmm, this vehicle has a smaller engine and is smaller in size. It might not perform the same as the bigger VUE." Also the Kia is a newer model than the Saturn so of course their not going to give huge incentives on it. The Vue has been out since '01 and is getting ready to be totally redone for 2008. Why, then, wouldn't they give $1500 off to get rid of their stock. Or maybe it's just that the VUE is less than equal to it's competitors and needs those incentives to keep up. Afterall it's still a GM product, it's still American and than means shotty workmanship, less than par standards, and high prices for crap. About your comments on the "cheapness" of the interior of the Kia i agree somewhat. Some of the plastics are harder than I would like, but i like tha fabrics used for the seats and I find it to be very ergonomical. I couldn't say the same about the VUE. The placement of the shifter on the consul as well as the window switches was plain idiotic. The buttons were hard to figure out and using a little snowflake for A/C made me think I was in preschool. In the AWD V6 the leatherette trim was cheap and gaudy. Not to mention it burns and smells when it's hot. i find the little gimmick of the grocery organizer in the cargo area a joke. That flimsy thing would be broke in a week, not to mention who only buys that little for a family when they go grocery shopping. I also found the faux woodgrain trim to be cheap. Saturn can try and use these things when their partnership with Opel is more shall we say, prosperous. For now using these things for a brand that is nothing more than a cheap American knock-off of something trying to be European. The only thing to be worthy of this is the new Aura. :shades:
    I buy what I need and best suits my criteria and likes.
    I've been driving for over 30 years. Grew up in Montana(i.e. driven in gully washers/windstorms/blizzards/shear black ice) and have lived in MT, NV, OR and have driven in almost all corners of the USA at various seasons in the year.
    I've owned RWD,FWD,4WD and AWD. I am familiar with all and very familiar with my driving skills and lifestyle. I don't need 4WD so I did not pursue it. I drove the offered V6 versions of a number of small/mid SUV/MAV's before deciding the VUE best meet my needs, driving likes and value.
    I really don't care if a vehicle is a GM or a Ford or a Kia or a Honda or a Mercedes or Yugo if it best meets my criteria list.
    "i find the little gimmick of the grocery organizer in the cargo area a joke. That flimsy thing would be broke in a week, not to mention who only buys that little for a family when they go grocery shopping"

Actually, that organizer is great. You don't put all of your groceries in it, just the things you don't want to roll around or are more fragile. Our VUE is 18 mos old and ours hasn't broken yet--that's a little bit longer than a week. There are 5 of us in our family and we can easily haul our groceries in the VUE.
    I agree; I find the organizer very handy. It fits grocery bags well and keeps stuff from rolling all around. I also put it up to block items between it and the rear seat to keep them in place. If part of it also had a bottom drain cooler with cover, I'd be in seventh heaven.
    If I must enter a gripe - it would be the location of the second 12V plug - under the cup holder insert!
    It is one of the little things we like the most about our VUE. I also like the wells on the sides that are large enough for a gallon milk jug or other bulky items.