Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rio Engine Problems

2»

Comments

• bike1953bike1953 Posts: 3
    Long ago, I too had to pass emissions.

If you just do city driving, go for a 30 minute drive on the freeway. I don't know how much the KIA RIO fuel injection engines carbon up from just city driving, but my (then new) 1986 Nissan 720 pickup sure did.
  • check the ground battery cable wire that is bolted to the top of the transmission to see if its loose. next to the shifter cable
  • dee82dee82 Posts: 1
    i wanted to know have you been having problems with your left park light and have there been any lights on inside of your car like when it be really cold in the morning like a big frost and you start your car to warm it did your tpms come on mines do .and i have also be having trouble with it starting up.I had to get somebody to give a jumpoff the other day Ithought i had left a light on but I know I cut them off this isn't the first time
  • lisam57lisam57 Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    What if your Rio is an automatic and not a standard? I am having starting problems on my 2005 Rio too. What it sounds like is that someone says to check the ground battery cable wire that is bolted to the top of the transmission to see if its loose. next to the shifter cable. Well is there a shifter cable on an automatic?
  • wise1wise1 Posts: 91
    My friend just bought a 2009 Rio and would like to know if it has a timing belt and if it has to be changed every 60K miles?? She did not get a manual with the car so we need to know soon as the car already has 56K miles on it. Thanks :cry: :mad:
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    yes it has a belt, the manual recommends replacing at 60 months or 60,000 miles or 96,000 km.
    You can download any Kia owners manual from KGIS and its free.
  • ssptoyotassptoyota Posts: 1
    The reason they want you to change the timing belt @ 60k is that is all they are good for. If you don't replace it and it fails what happens is the piston hits the valves and does a lot of internal damage to the eng. Kia is not the only manufacturer who requires you to change the timing belt. Almost every manufacturer of eng that have overhead cams require you to change your timing belt at a certain mileage. Some eng have enough clearance between the pistons and valves that it won't damage the eng if the belt breaks. This is one of those times when it really pays to check the maintenance schedule for your vehicle.
  • My experience with my Kia Rio doesn't seem to be too relevant to any of your guyses issues, except maybe Postman5's. Anyhow, I purchaed my 04 Rio base model back in 2012 with 68k miles on it. When i got it the engine was running a bit rough, it sounded like a diesel, and not too long afterward it would randomly die while rolling in gear either on the freeway, surface street, or stopped at a light. I don't recall any engine light, but i do remember a cylinder misfire code, this led me to replacing the spark plugs and wires which smoothed out my engine tremendously. I run 10w-40 mobil 1 synthetic only. Eventually I got a lean code which turned out to be the oxygen sensor. I wasn't too sure what it was so I ran injector cleaner and eventually changed the o2 sensor with one from ebay, this fixed the code, but the o2 sensor didn't last (do not buy non oem sensors). Couple years later I got an actual o2 sensor code. Replaced that ebay one with oem and it ran fine, but eventually the car just wouldn't start. It would turn over fine and initially sounded like it would start but it would only last a second before dying regardless of if i gave it gas or not. That turned out to be the mass airflow sensor. A week of scratching my head and eventually I got angery and started unplugging everything in the engine compartment one by one which is how I figured out that it was the mass air. With that unplugged it would start right up, a bit rough but I didn't have to bum a ride to work from my brother's gf. Tried cleaning with electronic or sensor cleaner or something, nada, tried ebay sensor, fail, tried oem, 25k later still goin. That was around 90k miles. Replaced my timing belt at around 70k miles. I'm now at 115k and it's squeeking again. Recently ran lucas oil stabilizer and it caused my valve cover gasket to go bad. Do not use oil additives. Combined with my 10 40 it was too thick and increased oil pressure to the point where it pushed through the gaskets, combined with the fact that the valve cover bolts had appeared to loosen over time. Back to pure 10 40 synthetic, no additives and tightened the bolts (one broke, whatdya know, now i'm researching how to remove a broken freakin bolt). Btw.. can anyone confirm if that cylindrical thing behind the fuek tank on the driver side is in fact the fuel filter? Can't find it..

• A friend of mine has a 2005 Rio that has MAF, speed sensor, and  rear O2 error codes.  All these sensors have been replaced without fixing the problem.  The car jumps and runs crappy when first started.  Once the car warms up it runs great.  Some input on this would be appreciated.
2»