Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

uptilldawnuptilldawn Member Posts: 1
I traded in my 05 Cobalt for an 08 in september. I loved the 05 but it did have some issues like shifter assembly changed, Fuel Sensor changed, recall for roof padding etc. But I did log over 47,000 miles on it through the 3 years I owned it. It never stranded me.

Since I see very little on the 08's I thought I'de add some. The 08's are a much better car than my 05 was. Much better fit and finish, Love the XM radio and ofcourse the remote start. Also noticed that even though it has the same aluminum wheel's my 05 had they now have 5 lugs instead of 4. To top this all off I paid 17,900 after incentives for a LT-2 with auto and the performance package, this was cheaper than my 05. So far after 4,000 miles the car has been flawless. I'm very happy with the 08 and plan on running this into the ground.

Comments

• gerald41gerald41 Member Posts: 37
    I ordered a new 08 on Dec 15th after I totaled out my 06. I also was amazed that even with a price increase that the car was cheaper than my 06 with the same options , infact the car has more. I ordered the LT-2 with Leather, Performance Package, pioneer sound system and Auto, Plus now The 08 comes with side airbags which was a 200 plus option on my 06. My total price before taxes was 18,155, my 06 was 18,630. I don't know what rebates will be in effect when it comes in mid January, but that will come off the price. The mechanic told me at the dealer that the 08's have all the Cobalt issues resolved. When I asked what was the most common issues he said the 05 and 06's had the most and they were, bad shifter assembly, faulty fuel sensor, warped rotors, sunroof moulding, loose ignition wires, a/c drain pan and a few others I forget. Counting the days till It comes in, I did love the car.
  • pjm16pjm16 Member Posts: 13
    I've owned my 2008 cobalt coupe special edition since(Dec 20 '07) I haven't noticed any problems,yet. If you know of any please inform me.
    I have a concern about getting new wheels for my 08 cobalt. It's got a 4 bolt pattern and my tire size is P205/60R16, I haven't been able to find any acceptable wheels. Does anyone have any suggestions? :(
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Though they are expensive like most any dealer available accessory, Chevrolet has a lot of custom parts available for their cars. The parts department can show you different wheels and based on that information you should be able to shop elsewhere for the best price, style. Their is a special accessory catalog from GM available for this car that has every part you can think whether stock or high performance including stock or modified engine blocks for racing, aluminum pistons, heads, etc. It cost something like $20 just for the catalog. For wheels make sure you buy the correct wheel with the correct offset because you don't want a Mexican looking car, no offense, with the wheels sticking past the wheel wells of the car. Not only does this look stupid but is very bad of the suspension components and can be very dangerous, and is illegal in most states to have tires hanging out the wheel wells.
  • jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    Which engine and transmission on your 2008? You don't hear of any real chronic issues aside from maybe some interior and suspension noises here and there and your occasional power assist steering issue on 2005's. The only issue I've heard of on 2007 2.2L, autos is a crazy surging you get when the torque converter tries to lock. Mine does it and I've heard of about 3 others who have the same concern.

Joel
    I haven't had any suspension problems or problems of any other kind..SO FAR. As far as i know my torque converter doesn't do that.When i get up & go everything does what it's supposed to do,believe me when i say it get's up & goes, wheww hold on to your seat!!! When i steer it's just perfect.I have a 2.2L Automatic. :shades:
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    What are the special features not found on regular Cobalt's?
    There are no features on the Special Edition that can't be had on other cobalt lines. The difference really is anti-lock brakes and special design 16 inch wheels. The wheels are unique to the special edition although they are only 4 bolt pattern unlike the 5 bolt pattern on the LT-2 with sports appearance package. The other difference would be the shark tooth stripes , but most dealers order the car without them. My dealer has 3 special ediation cobalts and says there very hard to sell, because of the higher price tag and limited options. There basically LT-1's with 16 inch wheels and anti-lock brakes.
  • minikillerminikiller Member Posts: 2
    hey man i recently got in an accident and my 03 cavalier sport was totaled.

in any case it looks like ill be getting a cobalt, 07 or 08 is not decided just yet, prob an 08.

do all cobalts have the 4 bolt pattern? i have a set of tires/rims that i bought for my cavvy but the bolt pattern is 5.

also the car i might get is navy blue with the white/silver racing stripes. it has a wing and a diff grill setup etc. i understand it it below the ss model but is it just below? what is the lt-2? all lt's ive seen dont have a wing or grill or anything this one has in the showroom but ur post suggests its still below an lt2?

thank you kindly
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    check page 1 pjm has one. and the ss model has a 5 bolt pattern
  • minikillerminikiller Member Posts: 2
    ah bugger it seems the ss are just outa my price range to

the special edition is in my range tho so i might settle, maybe sell my rims and get new ones with a four bolt pattern.

maybe i can squeeze out an ss, are there any ss's models with the special paint scheme's?
    ah no pantra hahaha
    The 2008 LT-2 cobalt also has 5 bolt pattern rims as well as the SS, at a much cheaper price.
    The LT2 is a loaded model with just a few options.
    I received my ordered Cobalt LT-2 last week, Long wait ordered on 12/21. First thing I noticed was the headlamps they looked darker than my 06 had. When I asked the dealer about them he said that gm has been throwing the smoked headlamps from the revolution on the LT-2's lately. I didn't even realize that they made a smoked headlamp. I don't mind the look, they look like there lightly tinted. Has anyone else heard about these tinted headlamps? Just thought I'de bring this up, it was news to me. Is GM just getting rid of surplus or is this the norm? Other than that the car came in looking ok, just had a cracked rear cup holder from what it looks like someone jammed in and left.
  • charly2charly2 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had any problems with the headlights on the 2008 Cobalt where they sometimes don't light up at night?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You might try posting this over in the electrical topic.
    Chevrolet Cobalt Electrical Issues.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Howdy, I have a 2006 Cobalt LT with the sport package and 16 inch Pirelli P6 H rated tires. I need new tires and the tire store said my car recommended H series tires.
    Now, I know the 2008 Cobalt LT2 has 16 inch touring tires so why would I have to get H rated tires since touring tires are not H rated? I want to improve the quality of the ride and H rated tires are low profile while touring tires are not.
    My question to you guys is what brand and model tires came with your Balts, and what is the speed rating?
    Thanks!
    Sorry, I don't have one yet but I too would probably go the touring tire route because I am not much into racing anymore. Your dealership probably got your Cobalt with Michelins also. H-rated tires are rated to 130 mph. They probably want you to have a tire that is original equipment rated for safety reasons. If you were not inclined to exceed 100 mph then the S-rated would be a nicer riding tire and save some money as well. I drive a small truck and never exceed 80 mph so I am not concerned about tire failure caused by speed.

http://www.buying-tires.com/tire-ratings.html
    I have the GoodYear EAGLE ResponsEdge P205/60R16 92V(V Rated).I got them for performance.I think they can handle speeds up to and over 140 mph.I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt Special Edition. :shades:
    my 06 ss/sc comes with pirelli pzero rosso that are z rated. your car has a nanny set at around 100mph. most any tire you choose will operate at regular hiway speeds. it generaly is the cornering performance that you see the difference in when you go to the touring tire.
    Well, I like the car to take corners without a problem, but I dont go above 75 MPH on the Freeway (I have cheap insurance and I want it to stay that way).

I'm trying to decide between the Michelin Destiny and the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.
    Right now the ride on the freeway sucks and the car takes bumps rough, I'm trying to get a smoother ride and get a good tire also.
    Aren't H rated tires low profile therefore would be harder on bumps?
    typically the aspect ratio determends the profile. so with that in mind the circumference of the tire is what you need to keep basically the same. a tire size change may also benefit your ride more so than speed rating. have you asked the guys over at the tires forum. :shades:
    I didnt even know there was a tire forum.
    yes it is in maintenance and repair forum. you can get great info there about price and opinions on ride quality.
    OK, I'll check it out but I really want to find out which 16 inchers are on the 2008 Cobalt LT2, because if it is a touring tire, not h rated, then it shouldnt matter as much as that guy at Discount Tire said it would.
    It matters. H rated is the way to go for the 16 inchers.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    I've always driven' S.U.V.'s or Vans (Blazer, Venture, Safari and now an Equinox). I'm thinking of trading the Equinox for a Cobalt Coupe next year, (less expensive, better gas mileage, smaller to drive).
    My questions are.... is it reliable and a safe car? (crash test). Is it good in snow driving? Will it be able to tow a small (open) utility trailer. (for carrying wood, furniture, snow blower) ect... without damaging the car?
    We're both in our 50's and all our children are now gone and married.

I really don't know what I should do and I need help with my decision.
  • jgrandeljgrandel Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,
    I currently own a pos 1994 Honda Accord. The thing is pretty much a project car, and I have had to replace a fan and some gaskets in the block. I have worked out a deal with my parents, and they have agreed to match what I have to buy my first car. Although I already own a car it is due to the fact that we had some issues in which I HAD to buy a car and spent all I had on this. I have found a used 07Cobalt the color I want and it has 33,000 miles on it for $10,000. I REALLY like this car and was wondering if anyone who sees this could let me know what they think of the car on ALL aspects. I just don't want another project car and by looking at some of the reviews (and by working for a fabrication shop) was wondering if this would make a nice tuner car. So yeah, any information would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!!
  • jgrandeljgrandel Member Posts: 2
    Just get in touch with a local fabrication shop. The place I work at orders parts for the customers and we instal everything. You pay for the part, shipping and handling, and then a pretty acceptable labor fee.
    I've always driven' S.U.V.'s or Vans (Blazer, Venture, Safari and now an Equinox). I'm thinking of trading the Equinox for a Cobalt Coupe next year, (less expensive, better gas mileage, smaller to drive).
    My questions are.... is it reliable and a safe car? (crash test). Is it good in snow driving? Will it be able to tow a small (open) utility trailer. (for carrying wood, furniture, snow blower) ect... without damaging the car?
    We're both in our 50's and all our children are now gone and married.

I really don't know what I should do and I need help with my decision.
    I think its a good choice but I would go with the Sedan. Drive both to see which is more comfortable for you.
    how do you like the equinox and what kinda mileage are you getting. :shades:
    I like it very much but it's kind of built cheap if I compare it with the other trucks and vans I owned (maybe it's just the way I'm seeing it). I'm getting 15 - 17 mpg city / 24 - 26 mpg highway and a bit less in winter but that's normal vehicles are always harder on gas in winter. I'm always trying to get the best gas economies out of it. Not really a lead foot, follow the speed limit and most of the time using the cruise control on highway driving (when safe to do so).
    Believe it or not but the Cobalt is one of the hottest tuner cars on the market the last few years. Most accessory companies make a variety of parts for this car just like the Civic which basically started the 4 cylinder tuner generation. GM has a special high performance catalog where you can buy basically every part for this car including race engine blocks if you chose. Otherwise they have the engine parts for the stock engine and much more. You can also get these parts from various manufactures. The Cobalt has been the hottest car in drag racing since its release and the Ecotec engines are arguably the best 4 banger on the market and their endurance reliability through racing has proven that. Also, the Cobalt broke all the Civics Guiness Book of World records performance tests when it came out with one run if I recall besting the Civic for a naturally aspired modified engine by close to 40 mph at something like 230 mph.
    Well if you don't know already its a 5 star frontal crash test and has high marks on the side as well. I saw the side test on the news a couple years ago and the Cobalt and Corolla when both equipt with the side air bags were tops in its compact class. The Ecotec is arguably best in class now and very low maintenance with a steel timing chain instead of the common rubber belt. Also the car like many GM's now has the quiet tuning meaning better insulation throughout the car to make a quieter ride compared to some other compacts out there. Not much room in the back but most compacts are about the same.
  • just84wvujust84wvu Member Posts: 9
    This car is a mess. I have an 08 and its awful. I get bad gas milage (18 city 25 highway), the car shuts down while driving, has issues starting some days leaving me stranded, the car leaks water when its raining or experiencing wet conditions, there is no space in the front or the back, and just so much more. I'm glad some people enjoy the car but I've never been more dissatisfied in my life with a car thats has turned out to be a complete headache. I just graduated from college and before i bought the Cobalt I asked about college incentives that most dealers have and was told that GM does not have those and I was like okay I guess I was wrong. Cause I think Toyota doesn't offer the kind of incentive or Honda. A few weeks after getting stuck with the car I tried to give back 3 days later because of all of its issues and my dissatisfaction I get advertising about college deals for GM cars and trucks. Its very aggrevating. With all of its problems I have to drive over 100 miles to the original purchase dealership where I've filed a BBB complaint and a complaint with Chevy. A guy got in touch with me and lied to me and said he worked for the BBB and wanted more info about the car problems. A week goes by and I get mail from the BBB about needing info sent in and copies of reciepts for repairs I had to pay for under warranty and I tried calling and nothing and later learned that Chevy had submitted to the BBB that the claim had been resolved which in fact it hadn't been. Other than that I think the car's interior is the worst thing along with its mpg. I'm at a loss for what to do since I can't afford a lemon law lawyer since I'm a recent college graduate so I seem to have to live with missing work and important meetings while this car continues to break down and cause issues. :lemon:
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    "" Other than that I think the car's interior is the worst thing""

Seems like a lot of sour grapes. Issues like lack of interior room would have been noticed before buying the car had it been looked at in any detail.

FWIW I'll be buying another Cobalt, an 09 before the next switch over.

Dollar for dollar the 07 Cobalt LT1 I have has been one of the best new cars I've bought since the late 60s.
    Sounds like he doesn't actually own one.

I thought the same thing when the front leg room was mentioned. This car is very roomy in front compared to a lot of compacts and overall has a very good interior.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I'm about to buy a 2009 Cobalt LT Coupe. I've rented several with no problems at all and got roughly 28 mpg on the average in local driving. Your car is under warranty. Find a Chevy dealer near you and tell him to fix the problems. These cars are all computer controlled. The gas mileage and starting problems sound to me like a computer glitch. If the dealer fails to correct the problems then you can invoke the Lemon Law . I've never done this but I don't think that you are required to hire a lawyer. The fact that the car is small and that you didn't get a certain discount are factors that you should have considered BEFORE you bought the car. The room inside didn't shrink since your purchase. I'm sorry you don't like the car but correcting the problems is the job of the dealership since the car is under warranty.
    I have had the car in service since April of 2008. Its first date of service was the Thursday following the purchase. The car had been leaking oil which I didn't notice til I got out of a class during the middle of the afternoon since most of my classes were over in the evening after leaving the car parked I couldn't tell what was under the car I would see large puddles and thought someone might have dumped out a cup or a bottle I do live in a college town after all so its not impossible. I called the dealership that day I saw the brown liquid and was told I "have nothing brown colored in my car". That was the guy's words exactly. Oil by chance is brown. So I called my friend's fiance who works with Toyota/Mitsu/Mercedes/Chevy/Scion and explained the problem. Later find out the car's oil pan was cracked. Covered by warranty I was forced to pay. I have went to the nearest dealers and have been refused service. I have been to over six local dealers: one here in town, one in Uniontown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Kingwood, and Waynesburg and have been told they will not work on the car because they will not get compensated for work. I am told to drive to the original dealership and have the work done there which is over 100 miles away.The fact that I asked about the incentive should be something not because I wasn't given it in the first place I was flat out told GM doesn't offer that kind of incentive. I think it is very unprofessional to tell someone without even checking if the incentive exists. The car's interior is a mess and the layout is awful. I was falsely imprisoned at this dealership and didn't know it until I had the chance to talk with a friend who is in law school here about it. I still do not get the gas milage out of the car. I hit 30.0 mpg for the second time this past Friday after driving down for service again. Mostly the highway mpg runs around 25 to 26 which is what I got driving to Martinsburg, WV when I was going down to interview for a job in DC. City driving isn't much different compared to my SUV I had before I usually get around 16-17 mpg while driving to work and back home. I normally don't meet any rush traffic as I am driving into town compared to everyone heading out of town towards the interstates. :lemon: I'm glad there are people who enjoy the car my friend's sister got one awhile back and according to her she says her sister really likes it. My cousin had one and she had occured similar problems except for the shutdown and starting issues I face. She traded the car a few months later for something else. So its not alot of sour grapes but a scorned customer. I think everyone has their own experience with cars and I got the bad luck of the draw and I have a car that cannot be fixed locally, where the warranty is of no use, and customer service with the company is awful.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    I need to get my hip waders on now.
    10-4
  • tcaloftcalof Member Posts: 29
    "Covered by warranty I was forced to pay"
    huh?

"I have went to the nearest dealers and have been refused service."
    And you're in school taking...English grammar?

"I have been to over six local dealers: one here in town, one in Uniontown, .... and have been told they will not work on the car because they will not get compensated for work."
    That's nonsense. Any Chevy dealer will do and get paid for Chevy warranty work.

"My cousin had one and she had occured similar problems"
    How's that English grammar course going? Oh, I forgot, it says you graduated. I guess what they say about college degrees these days is true. They're not even worth the paper they're printed on.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who decided to downsize their vehicle. The vehicle size does not matter, as long as its smaller than your previous vehicle. If you have switched to a smaller vehicle, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than September 15.
    Last time I had a car seriously flood was back in college when I left the top down in Florida on my '56 Ford convertible. Easy to fix the problem though. I just drilled a hole in the floor.
    I repeat - THE CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY. ANY Chevrolet dealer in North America - at least in Canada and the US - is required to fix warranty problems regardless of where you purchased the car. You have a customer service number for Chevrolet in your Owner's Manual.. Use it. Frankly I don't believe your story. I have owned scores of cars under warranty in the last 40 years and each one -from Chevrolets to Audis to Jags to Cadillacs - can recieve warranty repairs at ANY authorized dealer for that make.. The fact that you are unhappy with your car has no bearing on the fact that you can recieve warranty service from your local Chevrolet dealer. Regarding the cracked oil pan. I'm not suprised that you had to pay to replace it. What did you do, drive over a curb?
    Does the back seat fold down in the Cobalt LT coupe?
    yes
    No I didn't drive over a curb. I drove the car back from the dealership and was leaking since that day. All interstate driving. I pointed out it was in service that Thursday following the day it was leased. Also I have called customer service, but so far they have been unhelpful in assisting me with having my car serviced under warranty. I have been told that each dealership is owned by individuals not GM. This means they can refuse any customer warranty work or any other service request on any brand of GM cars and any other make of car. This has been emphasized many times by customer service and in particular the Chevrolet Business side I was dealing with during my BBB complaint.