Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

83 Audi 5000s

iridebmx65iridebmx65 Member Posts: 6
edited July 2014 in Audi
i have an Audi 5000s i'm selling. i figured i could only get maybe $500 but i have had offers from all over the world wanting to buy it. can anybody tell me why this is? is ti like a rare car or something?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No it's a scam. They will offer to send you a cashier's check that they received from their inheritance/aunt Betty/ sweepstakes/real estate deal/ pick one, and it will be for more money than your car, but would you please cash the check and send back the difference? Check bounces, you're screwed.

The only Audi 5000 worth more than scrap metal (sorry) would be a 5000 Quattro Turbo Wagon. Those are rare and you might get inquiries from Europe on that one.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Good advise.

An Audi 5000 is a car that would be hard to even give away!
  • iridebmx65iridebmx65 Member Posts: 6
    dang! i kinda saw that one coming. thank you for your help. i love this car but it has trouble starting when it's cold. it wont stay running unless i have the gas down half way. thats not really easy stopping and going and no fun either. it hesitates no matter wat i do, and it revs high but i know how to fix that. but if i do it will just die. wat sucks is it's my first car. i feel like i got screwed hard. i also have a 1965 volvo P1800s that i'm trying to sell. but can anyone tell me wat they think might be wrong with my P.O.S. Audi!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Does the 5000 have a somewhat better reputation in Germany, and Europe in general, than in the U.S.? Some cars age better in their countries of origin than in export markets. For example, the Renaults 5 and 9 (aka Le Car and Alliance in the U.S.) were much maligned here, but didn't have such a bad reputation in France. Maybe French drivers were easier on them, in terms of driving style, and more diligent on maintenance. Whatever it was, you see many more old 5s and 9s, and other old French cars, in France than the very occasional siting of these cars in the U.S. I'm thinking that the same could be true for the Audi 5000 in Germany, and elsewhere in Europe, where the older generation, at least, has more of a repair, rather than throw away, mentality.

I should add that a powerful factor working against keeping older cars in some European countries, such as Italy, for example, were repeated government programs to get older, polluting cars out of circulation, and production of new cars cranked up. These social engineering programs took the form of financial incentives for owners of old cars to trade them for new ones.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I've got nothing to recommend, except to look around for an independent shop that deals specifically with Audis for a diagnosis. Parts could be hard to find, based on some previous posts. Sounds like you need a 1990 Corolla for backup...
    You might check for cracks in the rubber plenum (underneath, where you can see them), that causes an air leak. The plenum runs from the fuel distributor (where the injection lines all gather) to the engine intake. If there are cracks in this accordion-like plenum, it will suck air and throw off the fuel mixture Big Time.

Anyway, check for vacuum leaks wherever you can.
    i don't really know. I must say i don't know much about this car other than no one likes them. i must say that we do need to try and get pollution lowered in our country but trying to keeping older "classic cars" out of the country is stupid i think. there are bigger and more important things we should concentrate on then trying to get these cars out of the picture.
    i shall check for cracks in the plenum first thing tomorrow! i'll let you know what i find. thank you very much for your help!
    a 90 corolla huh?
    Audis are wonderful cars in many ways, but they are a pain in the butt. They were a pain in the butt then, and still are. Expensive to fix, glitchy as all get out, and not all that exciting to drive except for the few $$$ road-burners they make.

When the 5000s first came to the US, they caught a lot of attention----the styling was quite startling next to the boxy Americans and Japanese cars, and the cars Quattro system (if you ordered it) coupled to the 5000s luxury was irresistible to the ski set.

But problems soon arose, and they weren't small problems. In one case, engine oil would contaminate the gearboxes, and destroy both of them simultaneously----nice, eh? Parts were expensive, as in VERY expensive (still are-- how about new headlight assemblies for $1000 bucks a pop?), and dealers often dualed with VW, meaning maybe one Audi tech for ten VW techs.

Even today, many independent "German" repair shops won't touch an Audi.

The Quattro system is fabulous and near bulletproof and revolutionized AWD in passenger vehicles, but otherwise Audi's bad reputation in America is well-deserved, even without the "sudden acceleration" scandal that probably had no basis in fact.

You can buy an old 80s Audi, or you can drive a steak knife into your forehead and get the same effect. The choice is yours.

Just my two cents but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :P
    well i must say i do agree with what you said and learned a bit about the 5000, my mother has an 1989 Audi 90 Quattro and her clutch went out...... to make a long story short two weeks later and nearly $1200 later we finally got it fixed. yeah Audi's most certainly have many glitches and problems i wont be buying this another one unless i build it from ground up. anyway i found two hoses that one side connects into the intake manifold but the other ends don't lead to anything. i couldnt find anything they would attach to so i blocked them with tape as a temporary solution. now it starts real nice and stays started. still hesitates up until 3000 rpm so there has to be something else. i have two people interested in buying it, one person came by today for a drive, he said he would pay for a mechanic to take a look at it.... i'm praying it wont be nothing serious. i'll let you know wat happens. thanks again for your help. this time i'm buyin a BMW!!!!!!!
    Yep, get a nice 80s era 325 and be happy.

Or if you really like these big Audis, get a Turbo Quattro Wagon, and then you'll have something worth putting some money into.
  • popqueenpopqueen Member Posts: 1
    From the previous posts, I don't know if anyone will even give this the time of day, but here goes. My '83 has 2 problems. I replaced the rack and pinion in may 09. It runs, steers fine. Upon a high speed freeway drive I came home, parked it, and later saw it had a fluid leak, (like before). The leak is at the fill tank, (not at the rack) which totally mounts on top near the firewall. It is spraying out from the tiny hole in the cap. It doesn't occur around town, only on freeway driving, and only after it sits. I don't get it. The shop and I thought it was a successful repair with the new rack. Anybody have a clue as to what could be happening now?
    Next problem, the car starts really hard, with one key turn but it sputters and takes 2-5 minutes to run smooth, and will not move in drive until then. I've checked the plugs, wires and cap & rotor, but not replaced them yet. Also the car passed smog with good numbers even though it started weird like this. I don't get it, it's just acting bad upon the initial cold start. :cry: :confuse:
    i *think* your PS pump has a pressure relief valve to prevent excess pressure....or maybe just the cap seal is bad?

As for hard starts, that could be a gazillion things, but by all means check tune up parts.

Also, look for a vacuum leak in the "bellows" at that comes off the fuel distributor---look way down underneath it.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    If the fluid is foamy in the resevoir I would think that there's still air trapped in the system, causing the fluid to foam up and get forced out of the breather hole in the cap.
    That poor running after start up sounds like classic cold start compensator problems to me, since it sounds like it starts right up with one hit on the starter. That pretty much rules out serious ignition or tune problems. Is an 83 still carbureted? If it's fuel injected what type of injection? Bosch CIS mechanical? Or is electronic multi port?
    Yeah that's a good idea. If that system has a separate fuel injector perhaps for cold starts, or a cold start sensor? But it's a good idea to at least check the basics in any cold start issue. A rule of thumb, which is sometimes wrong, is that a hard cold start = ignition and hard hot-start = fuel problem.

Another idea I had was that if you had a leaking injector, the car would start right up but run ragged until the excess fuel from the leaking down the night before, burned off.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    I am pretty sure those are FI.

I remember several years ago a guy tried to sell me a 5000, I think it was an 82. It was in really decent cosmetic condition, but it ran weird - I took it for a short drive just for the hell of it. It seemed to run rich - not easy to start, and you could smell the fumes...FI must have been out of adjustmennt. I could have had it for maybe $800...but I need that like I need a hole in my head. You barely see those things on the road anymore. If I wanted one, it would have to be turbo, for the full maintenance drama effect.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Yes, I think that had similar FI to my '83 GTI, and it also had that enrichment injector, I think. The Bentley manual would be a good thing to get
  • minmzzminmzz Member Posts: 2
    I was given a 1983 Audi 5000S fuel injection. and cant find anything on it except that it was recalled in the 80's can anyone tell me anything about this? :confuse:
  • minmzzminmzz Member Posts: 2
    or even where i can find a fuel distributor that would work on it?
    Oh they probably mean the recalls for unintended acceleration (changes to shift lever, brake pedals) or the recall for cracking brake line hoses.
This discussion has been closed.