Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series Audio

micahsmicahs Member Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in BMW
I thought that my new 328 would have ten speakers, like it says on the BMW website. Lo and behold it seems to have six (unless it also has a pair of subs under the seats, which still only brings it to eight). Where are these speakers located?

I'm asking because while the speaker quality sounds nice, the sound also seems less full than I would like. I'd like to improve the stereo, but since the speakers are as small as they are, Crutchfield does not have much of a solution to offer.

Comments

• Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I'm pretty sure BMW counts speaker cones, not locations. So if you have a 2-way speaker (woofer and tweeter), that would be two speakers. In my "ten speaker" coupe, I have two woofers in the rear deck, two midranges low on the door, two tweeters high on the door, and two 2-ways in the back seat. In BMW-speaker-math, that's 10 even though it only looks like 8.
  • Options
    penceypencey Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 330ci and I have to say that after listening to the stereo for a week, I'm unhappy with the sound I'm getting.

Although I have Harmon Kardon upgraded speakers in the car, the music still sounds flat. I'm guessing it's the stock stereo the 330 comes with but I can't be sure. Since I've had the car for a week now, I'm guessing there's not much I can do as far as having them put in something better without paying full price for it.

I noticed the sticker on the window that said putting in an aftermarket stereo might void the warranty. Is this true? Should I just upgrade to the Logic 7 system or can I put in an aftermarket CD player/stereo to get better sound? And if so, what system do you all recommend for a clean sound?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    The Harmon Kardon is the base system in the E46 330... I doubt you can upgrade it with anything from BMW..

Most people have the best luck in just upgrading the speakers... Plus, done correctly, that can really have no effect on your warranty.

This company gets really good reviews, and they specialize in BMW audio. I have no idea of the cost, however..

bavariansoundwerks

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    johnbombjohnbomb Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone seem to experience a volume problem in their 335i. It seems to, ever so slightly, change volume or the sound is inconsistant. Some times the highs can be hear well, then they cut out, then back. Again, ever so slightly. I thought maybe it could be the automatic volume control, so I turned it down to the lowes setting. Then I turned off the "concert hall" feature and it appears to have stopped, but it does not sound as good as with the concert hall on.

I thought maybe it was my Ipod,but it does it with the radio and CD too.
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Do you notice it with speed variations? The HK system in my '01 has some kind of equalization system that changes with vehicle speed. Sounds like it might be a similar thing. I don't really notice volume changes as much as it seems like the highest and lowest freqs are boosted as speed increases. It seems to happen in roughly 20mph increments. You can go through the stereo menu system and turn that function off to see if that's what ails you.
This discussion has been closed.