Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vintage Car Identification Help!

Comments

• hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    ">
    why is it so hard to post a picture?
    The rims have a 8JM stamped on them
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    I'm thinking they might be off of something like a late 60's Ford Torino?

They make me think of the wheels on this car:
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165
    I think you found the answer, andre1969. I'll throw in that the tire was made in April 1966.
    That's on a car?
    No it’s in a barn. I was guessing it was originally for a old car or truck but I guess it could be for a farm wagon or something.
  • crazykunocrazykuno Member Posts: 9
    Help
    how do I post a picture?">
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    -Upload your image to a photo hosting website such as Fickr, Instagram or Image Shack.

-Copy image's url.

-Click on IMG tab below dialog box.

-Paste url next to image header that appears, then click IMG again at end of url.

-Enter any text you wish to

-Click on POST MY MESSAGE tab.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

thank you
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    Is that the biggest photo you have? Hard to tell...
    not very good at this kind of stuff. this picture is full screen before I posted it. any suggestions??
    edited June 2013
    Looking at the imageshack web site, when you're looking at your photo click on the 'links to share this image' text on the right, then copy the info in the 'direct' box and use the procedure described above to post the photo here. Let's see if it works:
    The crome on the front fenders pretty much singles it out but I cant find anything to compare. I believe this to be late thirties but WHAT???
    is it a 1940 Buick Special Series 40 2-Door Sedan??
    That's definitely a General Motors car from the 1940s, it's similar to this 1940 Chevrolet>

Or this 1941 Pontiac>

I doubt it was a Buick or Olds, but that's just a guess.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    With the short chrome pieces on top of the fenders, I am thinking 41 Chevy, but could be others.
    Yeah, those chrome strips look as if they're atop the headlight housings as on 1940s Chebbies.

Thanks for the help!!! I believe it to be a 1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe 2-Door Sedan. can't be a 40' because the head light looks to be embedded deeper in the fender and the 40' the headlight sets higher and the turn signal is beside it. Thanks again.. JIM
    Looks like a Chevy Biscayne ca. 1968-69

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    edited June 2013
    It could just be the angle, lighting, or whatever, but they look like two different cars to me The one in the snow looks like it has chrome at the B-pillar area, unless that's just the lighting playing tricks with me. It makes me think of a '68-72 Chevy Nova. But the other one, in the family shot with the burgundy car in view, is definitely a '68 Chevy fullsize. Could be a Biscayne or Bel Air. I'm pretty sure the Impala coupes were all hardtop by that time.

My grandparents had a '68 Impala 4-door hardtop that they gave to my Mom in 1972, and then she traded in 1975 for a new LeMans. I vaguely remember the '68. My memory recalls it as a bright bluish-green color, but I found an old pic of it awhile back, which showed it to be more green than blue.

BTW, if anyone cars, that burgundy car looks like an '81-82 Malibu.
  • bubba_txbubba_tx Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to identify the make/model & year of this car to date it and try to identify the people. The Year of the car will help me rule In/Out certain people. The rounded front hood is unusual."

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Almost certainly a Franklin, late teens by the looks of it.

Here is a 1918 model
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd agree with that---definitely a Franklin and probably spanning the years of WW I, given the fashions depicted.
  • landcruisercolandcruiserco Member Posts: 2
    I came across an old photo of my Grandfather, and he was obviously very proud of his car, and his work...as he used it to sell bread in Iowa. Unfortunately I don't know how to upload the pic on the forum. ">Can anyone help me identify his car? Sure wish I had a chance to talk to him about it.
    So you have a digital copy of the pic on your computer, right? Create an account at photobucket or another photo hosting site, upload it there, and post the URL here. Before posting it, click the "IMG" button below this message box, paste the image URL, then click the "IMG" button again - it should all work then.
  • landcruisercolandcruiserco Member Posts: 2
    Yes- I have a digital copy on my phone. Thanks for the advice- I'll try posting online tomorrow.

Jeff
  • tomatcietomatcie Member Posts: 1
    Please, can someone name the year and make of this car?

image of old car
    edited July 2013
    That's a real tough one, lots of cars built between about 1910 and 1914 or so looked like that, there's nothing much distinctive on it. It looks like it has kerosene lanterns next to the windshield, so it has to be about that old, maybe a year or two older.

Sorry.
    edited July 2013
    Like texases says, early teens vintage. Appears to have gas cowl lights, but electric headlights, so it would be no older than 1912. It looks like a big solid middle/upper middle class car, not a Model T or a cyclecar etc. The fenders and cowl seem familiar somehow, maybe something like a ~1914 Buick.
    Also, if you post it

Here

or

Here

Someone will know the year, make, and model - some real experts are there, with knowledge far more than my own.
  • wizardimpswizardimps Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Going through some old photos that my grandparents took when they visited Yellowstone in the summer of 1952, and there are two that have cars I'm curious to identify (neither of the cars were theirs) - here's one of a bear climbing the hood of a car, and another showing the same car, same bear, and another car. Any ideas?

Also, how many of these can you ID in this parking lot photo from summer 1958?

Thanks!
    In the first photo, the bear is making friends with a 1949-51 Ford, there were minor differences in grille and bumpers from year-to-year, perhaps someone will come along and tell you the exact year.

The dark car in the second pic appears to be a Chevy of the same vintage but it could be a Pontiac or Olds.

The white car on the left in the parking lot photo is a 1957 Chevrolet, next to it is a two-tone 1956 Buick and over her shoulder you can see a '52-'53 Ford.

1st photo - 49 Ford.
    2nd photo - 49 Ford, 52 Chevy.
    3rd photo - 57 Chevy with dual steering, 55 Buick, 56-58 Cadillac.
    My bad, I typed '56 Buick but that's definitely a '55, great year for Buick Division.

• jfukuro1jfukuro1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello! I'm trying to identify the car in these photos here, here and here It may be a Bugatti, but I'm not sure. I found the snapshot in the Boston area some years ago. On the back is written in pencil "Here is my anvil car I told you about." Any help with year, make and model would be greatly appreciated!
    edited August 2013
    Not sure, except that it's probably not a Bugatti, wrong radiator shell.

Edit - pretty sure it's an "Amilcar":
    More info here.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Looks much too brutish for a Bugatti.

I'm going to take a wild guess on this and call it a late 1920s era Amilcar.
  • finder777finder777 Member Posts: 1
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201856348836194&set=a.1020131913260612- 4.1073741826.1407231995&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

i dont know the type of make or year this is but i want to get one, can anyone tell me what it is? and its year?
    The whole address didn't post. There's a problem with the site right now, it's missing the image posting buttons.
  • mstumpmstump Member Posts: 2
    http://s418.photobucket.com/upload?location=Antique%20car%20Hood

This is a Trunk lid I believe. It has a mechanism that operates from a PUSH button. we are 95% sure that it is a Trunk, but we cannot identify what type of vehicle it is from.

If it is a hood for the front of the car, then it had the engine in the rear compartment, like a Volkswagen.
    Here's one, pic taken around 1924 based on the age of the kid. My great-great grandmother, grandfather, and great-grandmother with some kind of tall car. I know they had a little money, and this appears to be a fancier car. I haven't dug out my reference books to try to nail it down yet. Maybe a Cadillac?

• stk531stk531 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know how to post photos in messages on this site, but please click the link below to go to Shutterfly (no registration needed) to view 2 family photos, I believe from the late 40's or early 50's. Can you help me identify this car? I've looked at several internet sites and have not found a photo that matches the body exactly, nor the hood ornament. I don't know the manufacturer, model, or model year. Appreciate any help you can give!

https://oldcarid.shutterfly.com/
    (2 photos, one of the front and one of the back of the same car)
  • jfukuro1jfukuro1 Member Posts: 2
    This appears to be a 1949 Buick Roadmaster of some sort. I can't see enough for exact identity.
  • tamangeltamangel Member Posts: 4
    1950 model..rectangular side hood holes..