Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Astra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
edited April 2014 in Saturn
What did you pay for your new Astra?

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I didn't pay anything for a new Astra as I bought a Mazda3.

Saturn Astra, 2 door or 4 door hatch. No comparison to 08 Mazda 3 s 4 dr sport hatch. Alloys, abs airbags, pwr, 2.3l (vs 1.8 cyl astra). Cheap astra interior looking to boot. Compare them yourself. Also supress giggles at 20000-22000 msrp.

Mazda 3 s sport msrp 19500 inc destination has sold all day long at $16700-17200 depending on time of model year for years. Very high quality. Stunning looks with blue or gray.

A 20000 msrp astra is barely a 15000 car if that. If no big discounts your solution is simple... nearest Mazda dealers. Even the 08 Pontiac Vibe and Toyota matrix auto well equipped were moving in the 15000's for a 19000+ msrp version lately as they cleared them out.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • no_oneno_one Member Posts: 29
    Yup, no comparison indeed. The astra has all of the same features as the Mazda 3 and was about $2000 cheaper. I paid $16,205 for my astra XE with A/C which comes with ABS, 4x 1-touch windows, rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, and day time running lights, most of which are unavailable on a Mazda 3 hatch for less than $20,000.

The astra has a far more upscale interior than the Mazda3 (I know, because I test drove one as well). The Astra also has a tolerable back seat, which is far more than I can say about the Mazda 3.

Admittedly, the Mazda 3 has a bit more power and better acceleration. The handling of the two are comparable. However, I'll be laughing all the way to the pump with my Astra, which returned 36.2 MPG on my last tank of gas...
  • pafromflpafromfl Member Posts: 47
    I was planning on buying a little white manual shift hatchback sometime next year, and had casually looked at the Mazda 3 and 6, the Kia Rio, the Vibe GT, Honda Fit, and Nissan Versa. While out grocery shopping on Saturday, my wife and I stopped by the Saturn dealership to see if we would fit in the Astra. She likes plenty of clearance from the steering wheel and doors, and I often lack legroom. The Astra was quite roomy for a compact. We also liked the solid sound made when the doors close (my other cars are a BMW 330i and a 300C Hemi). They mentioned that they had a white manual shift XE model with A/C on sale for $15495, $1960 less than the MSRP of $17455. That surprised me, given the reputation Saturn has of selling at MSRP, confirmed by the Edmunds TMV price. I said that was a good price, but I really didn't need to buy until next year. They then said they could knock off an additional $1500 using dealer coupons. At that point I took a test drive and was favorably impressed by the power, handling, comfort, maneuverability, and visibility of the car. The oddometer showed only 18 miles. Since white manual shift hatchbacks are very scarce in my area, I just couldn't pass up the deal. Allowing them the dealer fee of $498 (for tinted windows and front mud guards), $960 of sales tax, and $225 for a new tag and title, the out-the-door price was $15687. The salesman and his manager were very honest, not pushy, and good at providing information. Before we drove off, they took a photo of us and most of the staff showed up to chant their thanks and shake our hands. It was a little strange, but the overall experience was quite pleasant (no last minute fees or pressure to buy extras).
  • gazingwagazingwa Member Posts: 4
    Well, at 18045, the 5dr xr 5m was too pricey for me. I was about to go look at an SX4 or an XB when I decided to check online. One almost local Saturn dealer was giving 2,000 off any in stock Astra.... another was advertising they now take GM card dollars. Well I found yet a 3rd dealer that had a earlier MSRP (17545) one in stock. My family has more GM bucks than they know what to do with so I called them up and they gave them to me. I got full blue book for my car and an 08 Silver Sand Astra XR 5D 5M for 15545-1000 gm cash so 14545. I also got them to throw in the armrest and I refused to pay for the pin-striping and the wheel locks that were already on there. Add only a 100 dealer tag processing fee normal tax and tags and it was done.

What an awesome car. On my way home it seemed a bit more jittery than i remembered. When I got home (120 miles) I checked the air pressure 45psi on a car that was rated 30. Adjusted it down and wow the perfect handling/riding car.

Other than the tire pressure this was the best buying experience I have ever had to bad my local dealer (only 4 miles away) refused to match the 2k off(only gave 1500) and was trying to make me pay for pin striping and window etching. The only time they'll see me is for warranty work.
  • diexodos1diexodos1 Member Posts: 5
    That is an excellent price. I am trying to decide between Mazda 3S, Vibe or Astra. The price that you paid can not get lowered. Where did you buy it from? I plan to visit a local dealership in Central Ohio and ask for dealer coupons. If I can get it down or close to 14000 with an OTD price of around $15500, I will buy it right away. ;)
    I bought it in Melbourne FL.The current GM employee discount for everyone may help you lower the price. I'm really enjoying my Astra. It has nice little touches like a hydraulic strut to keep the hood open, rear reading lights, and rain-sensing wipers. For its size, it provides a surprising amount of room for four adults. The engine seems happy lugging along at 1500 rpm, and I have yet to stall it even though I hadn't driven a manual in many years. It handles very well in spite of the torsion rear axle (as opposed to fully independent). In fact, it is more fun to drive around town than my BMW 330i because I can drive it hard without violating traffic laws (although it is quiet enough that at first I tended to creep past speed limits when cruising). If I push my BMW hard, many laws get broken very quickly.
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    I've just started investigating purchasing an Astra (helping my parents). I usually spend a month or so researching my own vehicle purchases, but they're planning on buying this weekend while I'm visiting. Any interesting incentives for Saturn or GM that you all know about that might help? They are existing Saturn owners and love the one-price/no haggle ways of the dealerships. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
  • no_oneno_one Member Posts: 29
    There are currently no saturn-wide incentives as far as I know. However, a number of dealers have been offering their own incentives on the astra. You'll have to check in with your local dealer or look at their ads....
  • slockoslocko Member Posts: 111
    Hi. One dealership told me that they now qualify for GM employee pricing. That only seemed to know off 1500 off the price. Anyone know what is the best way to get the best price on this a fully loaded Astra?
    okay, i think i'm going to go with the 3 door astra. i got the dealer under 19k which is inline with TMV and pretty much invoice plus the 1500 dealer incentive.

i don't see a thread on leasing information? any help here? looking for a 36 month lease.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Ask your Astra lease questions here!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hi. Looking for info on a 36 month/12k lease on the 3 door Astra.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi slocko. Unfortunately, General Motors' financial problems forced it to pull the plug on its lease program. If you really want to lease an Astra right now, you will have to do so through an independent bank. Chances are that it will be more expensive to lease this car than many of its competitors at this time.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I gave my white manual shift XE hatchback (see #4 “unexpectedly purchased an Astra” by pafromfl Jul 30, 2008 7:29 pm) to my daughter and traded in her 2005 Sentra Special Edition automatic with 30,000 miles for a white manual shift sport XR hatchback with 14 miles for $8760 out-the-door. My daughter prefers a manual shift, and I’m happier knowing that she now has ABS, more airbags, and hopefully 3-5 years of warranty. Also, my XR handles a little better than the XE, has a better sound system, and sporty 18” wheels. The future of GM and Saturn is in doubt, but I like the Astra so much that I’ll happily take my chances.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    What was the msrp of the xr hatch for 8760 otd? Was there a trade in or gm card involved?

thx
    -jim
    The MSRP was $18740, the rebate was $2000, and the trade-in was the Sentra. The paperwork showed a $8715 credit for the Sentra, but I suspect it was worth more like $7000 as a trade-in. The dealer had a glut of Astras and was probably more interested in reducing inventory than making a profit.
  • joh69joh69 Member Posts: 1
    I paid 13,680 for a 08 Saturn Astra XE very pleased except for the CD-30 cd player that won't play any of my burned CDs :mad: The dealer, Saturn of Orlando South has the best sales and service departments :) ..... This is my fourth Saturn :)
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I just bought a new 2008 Astra XR for $13,813 after rebates. It's equipped with Auto trans and heated seats for an MSRP of $19,620. In addition, I applied $5,000 of GM Card cash and drove away a new car for $9,800 total. My daughter loves it...
This discussion has been closed.