Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Putting turbo in 3000gt

phatwhips123phatwhips123 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Mitsubishi
I want to put a turbo into my stock 92' 3000gt sl. I was wondering if besides the transmission if the internal parts of the sl and vr4 are different in anyways because i would like to add a turbo without hopefully changing anything internal. Im just looking to put a stock turbo about 6 or 7 pounds of boost using any turbo that will work such as from a talon or eclipse maybe? I dont know if that is even possible . My car is all stock in and out. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    sam97gtosam97gto Member Posts: 12
    the sl model has the exact same engine that the vr4 with the exception of the two turbos... only thing would be the injectors and if you plan to turbo your car, it'd be easy to go the TT convertion route. I have a 97 SOCH and I'm planning on hooking up a single turbo after the downpipe.. (lot of work and money) So just get parts from a vr4 and it should be easy to install them on your car.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You may not need to touch the internals but the engine has to be tight and in good shape. Any oil or compression leaks you have will be amplified by the addition of a turbo. Also colder spark plugs and possibly changing out injectors might be a good idea. Given that the SL and the Turbo models don't differ in price drastically, you might want to consider selling what you have and buying a factory turbo car. By the time you're done, it might end up the same investment in $$$.
This discussion has been closed.