Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Avalon

akinakin Member Posts: 24
When will the 2009 Toyota Avalon be available and what is being changed from the 2008 model?

Comments

• hanscuahanscua Member Posts: 3
    The most important minor change I like to see on the 2009 Toyota Avalon is to offer a power tilt and telescopic steering column being made standard on the top-of-the-line Limited model rather than still having that manual tilt and telescopic steering column on the top-of-the-line Limited model since the top-of-the-line Limited model already offered a standard 2-way driver's side memory systems rather than any other minor changes of equipment. If the 2009 Toyota Avalon Limited does not offer a power tilt and telescopic steering column, I will be very, very depressed for one or two years and I will not be able to buy a 2009 Toyota Avalon Limited. I really do want the power tilt and telescopic steering column to be offered on the 2009 Toyota Avalon on this current design as a standard equipment on the top-of-the-line Limited model rather than waiting for the Toyota Avalon to be redesigned for the 2011 model year to offer a power tilt and telescopic steering column.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Here's what they've said about the 2009 Avalon on 7/25/08: "The 2009 Avalon full-size sedan adds to its value with additional standard equipment that includes driver and front passenger active headrests, Brake Assist, traction control, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), and a satellite radio ready color-keyed SDARS antenna and prewire. The base MSRP for Avalon will range from $27,845 for the XL grade to $35,185 for the premium Limited grade. Overall, Avalon prices will increase $520, or 1.7 percent."
  • potat0epotat0e Member Posts: 12
    hanscua - You mentioned "... redesigned for the 2011 model year ..."

Apologies if this is covered in some other forum, but do we know that for sure? The last design ran for 5 years, 2000 - 2004, right?
    So, I was looking forward to a redesign in 2010.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    There may not even be an Avalon redesign. There are also rumours of it being discontinued after 2010.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I've seen from an LA Times article where the 2009 might be the last year. Rumor only, Toyota USA isn't talking.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Personally, I would discount those rumors. The cars that get discontinued are poor sellers (e.g. SUVs lately). The Avalon is exactly what many people are now in the market for: a large sedan that offers excellent mileage (not to mention a nice profit margin for Toyota). Toyota hasn't become the world's (nearly-) largest carmaker by misreading the market.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    And just what would be the problem with a Toyota version of the RWD (R/AWD optional) Lexus GS350 as a replacement for the FWD Avalon....??

A HUGE win for the beancounters and obviously a win, overall, for John Q Public.
    And just what would be the problem with a Toyota version of the RWD (R/AWD optional) Lexus GS350

If it has the same interior room and comes at a similar price tag as the current generation... where do I sign?

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    Mine will be dark gray with a similar interior, please...... and woodgrain, Nav, etc. :)
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Of course, with RWD would come a less spacious, comfortable and inviting rear passenger compartment what with the tunnel and all. And, of course, that would mean that, when it snows, new Avalon drivers in Seattle would be unable to negotiate the hills that older Avalons with FWD take with ease.
  • hoopla1991hoopla1991 Member Posts: 10
    The Avalon is NOT what more people are in the market for, in contrast to a previous post.

Avalon sales are down 45% month-over month '08 vs' 07. and down 36% YTD '08 through June.

JAN-JUN 2008 2007 CHG 2008 2007 CHG

AVALON 3,000 5,092 -45.6% 27,438 42,614 -36.0%

SOURCE Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

The Avalon is quiet, smooth and comfortable, and can be bought with bigger discounts right now than ever before due to LACK of demand, not the opposite.
    Lexus GS is a great car, but I always thought it had a lot less interior room than the Avalon, both in front and especially in the back seats. Will take another look.

Hard to see why sales are down..... More and more baby boomers are reaching "Avalon age" and Buick screwed-up their long-time segment leader, LeSabre.

Just an opinion, but I think Avalon sales should be affected less by high gas prices than most other cars, because the average Avalon is driven far fewer miles than most other cars.

Also, I think Toyota threw away a lot of sales when they dropped the bench seat.
    "More and more baby boomers are reaching "Avalon age"..."

Yes, and with age comes more learning experiences and overall knowledge accrual under one's "belt" and that generally means some become more aware of the wintertime hazards of FWD and F/AWD vehicles.
    that generally means some become more aware of the wintertime hazards of FWD and F/AWD vehicles.

Wwest I have seen you post along these lines before and while I won't disagree with you I don't know of a single person who doesn't believe that a FWD vehicle is superior to a RWD vehicle in poor conditions.

"I don't know of a single person.."

Well, now you do.

FWD or F/AWD does have superior traction insofar as applying DRIVE torque to the roadbed is concerned, but that's the ONLY advantage, an advantage which in many cases turns out to be a detriment to the owner.

IMMHO it's better not to "go" at all rather than go and lose control.
  • deejay2009deejay2009 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when the 2009 Avalons will be available? When will it be announced?
    :confuse:
  • hoopla1991hoopla1991 Member Posts: 10
    A dealer in OKC had an '09 XLS on the lot a few days ago. Nothing to announce - it's basically unchanged from the '08, with the addition of stability control as standard and about a $500 price increase.
  • deejay2009deejay2009 Member Posts: 2
    I am guessing that Toyota is waiting for their current "National Clearance Event" to be over before they start announcing the 2009 Avalon. Yes, the models appear to be essentially the same from 2008 to 2009. One feature: the "VS Vehicle Stability Control and Brake Assist and Traction Control" while an option in 2008 is now bundled into the price in 2009 (based on a comparison of the comprehensive glossy brochures of both years) which may explain why they are expected to increase the price by $500.00. It will be interesting to see how they market and price the models from both years when they are on the same lot. ;)
    If Toyota discontinues the Avalon, my next car may be this:

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genesis/2009/review.html

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080811/FREE/552041503

- rear wheel drive
    - quiet as a Lexus
    - 0-60 under 6 seconds
    - superior warranty

What's not to like?
  • hanscuahanscua Member Posts: 3
    I requested the 2009 Toyota Avalon to offer a power tilt and telescopic steering column on the top-of-the-line Limited model. I feel very, very disappointed that the 2009 Toyota Avalon did not offer a power tilt and telescopic steering column. But I do request the Toyota Avalon to offer a power tilt and telescopic steering column for the late availability 2009 model year being made available at the Toyota dealers by October, November, or December of this year 2008. I really like to buy, own, or lease a 2009 Toyota Avalon Limited fully loaded. The only feature that the Toyota Avalon don't have right now that other vehicles competing with Toyota Avalon like Nissan Maxima, Hyundai Azera, Buick Lucerne, and Chrysler 300 have was a power tilt and telescopic steering column. One of the salesperson who works at Toyota of Pasadena told me that the Toyota shareholder or the Toyota Kentucky factory plant is currently doing a prototype and working on trying to have the power tilt and telescopic steering column to be offered on this current design Toyota Avalon for the late availability 2009 model year to see if it works or if there is a demand, but I'm hopeful that it works and there is a demand for this current design Toyota Avalon to offer a power tilt and telescopic steering column for the late availability 2009 model year available by October, November, or December of this year 2008 rather than wait until the 2010 model year Toyota Avalon comes out, so I'll be able to buy or lease the 2009 Toyota Avalon Limited by October, November, or December of this year with a power tilt and telescopic steering column. If the 2009 Toyota Avalon does offer a power tilt and telescopic steering column on the top-of-the-line Limited for the late availabilty 2009 model year available at the Toyota dealers by October, November, or December of this year 2008, the power tilt and telescopic steering column should be tied to the 2-way driver's memory systems which will control the power driver's side, power outside mirrors, and power tilt and telescopic steering column.
    Maybe now we might get to see a Lexus LS with the GSes hybrid system based on the DFI V6. Maybe even AWD...??
  • avalonfanavalonfan Member Posts: 28
    Will the 09 Limited come with a factory backup camera? I know cameras are offered on other 09 Toyota models.
  • DB_BBDB_BB Member Posts: 1
    We have had our '09 at the dealership a few times for wind noise. "They say" there is not "wind noise", it's air turbulence from around both of the exterior mirrors. They drove a couple of '09's from the lot and said these had the same amount of noise.
    Anyone have experience with this and what did you do?

Not Happy in Ms!
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    My 2008 seems to have tis issue, above 75 MPH on the highway. Something I too, I'm not happy about, but maybe that's Toyotas way I keeping me driving the speed limit:)

At highway speeds of 65-75 it's fine.

This is the one thing I don't like about any car. I'm an on the road salesman, and if there is one thing I REALLY like, is piece and quiet when I drive.

From what little I've read, about the only vehicle that si real quiet is the Buick Enclave, which several magazines have said "Is one of the quietest car I've ever driven". I didn't drive one, because it was more then I was looking to spend at the time. Now with all of the money problems they are having, this car can be purchased at a very reasonable price.

Skip
    "'..there is one thing I really like, is peace and quiet when I drive..."

Try driving an early model LS400 with air suspension and summer only Bridgestone Turanza tires, now that's REALLY quiet, peaceful and comfortably riding.

For even more quietness apply a thin, VERY thin coat of NAPA Sil-Glyde to all of the rubber door and window seals.
  • marks2512marks2512 Member Posts: 4
    I just signed on the dotted line for an 09 ltd. Now they want me to spring for the ziebart gold shield package for a mere $899.00. Any thoughts?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Too much money. All of these dealer add ons are good for one thing. Additional profit for the dealer. Wax the car twice a year with a good quality wax. Keep it washed, especially in northern winter salt road areas and save your money.
    That is sort of what i think too. The catch is that i intend to keep this car for a very long time, and that is what they said it's really good for. Also "Quiet" is important to me and the undercoat is supposed to help with that.
    It just scares the heck out of me to have some unknown person drilling holes in my new car and spraying "stuff" around, hopefully getting it where it belongs and not where it does not belong.
    And doesn't Toyota undercoat, or rust proof their cars at the factory???
    By the way I am located in upstate NY. RUST BELT.
    Thanks
    Roger
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Some manufacturers state in their owner's manuals that they do not recommend after market rustproofing. If it is not done correctly, it can do more harm than good. I am not sure what Toyota states in their handbooks. Do you have to pay for an annual inspection service for the Ziebart package? If so how much? I live in a similiar area to you. Southern Ontario, Niagara Peninsula. Lots of salt and slush.
    I haven't bothered with after market packages for the last fifteen years. Cars are well rustproofed now.
    I am replacing a Dodge intrepid ( 2000) with 170,000 mi onit and the only a very small amount of rust is starting to show where the outer skin of the doors wraps around at the bottom, can't be seen from outside. Never even waxed it.
    I think this dealership is, as you suggested, is looking for more profit.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    The price you've been quoted is outragous; & Toyota already has a 7 year rust warranty on the car. I wouldn't do it; but, if you really want the car undercoated take it to an independent shop.
  • jwboothjwbooth Member Posts: 27
    I see tons of posts with major complaints thru the 08 Avalons, and then there are almost no posts beginning in 09.

Did Toyota change/upgrade the Nav system including the voice recognition?

Just test drove an 09 Avalon Limited with nav and loved it, but now considering passing if the Nav system is still a piece of junk.

09 owners - are you happy with it?
  • rscofieldrscofield Member Posts: 6
    My wife just called and says her '09 Avalon has a red light in shape of a car with black line thru it. Only on when car is Off! It's in upper RH corner of instrument panel.
    Anyone know what this is? Said she checked owners manual but did not find it.
    Russ
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Not sure what page the info might be on in the manual as mine is an '07 but the light is probably the same... The red outline is a car, yes, and the black line is a key. If the light stays on it means the car is locked. If the light is blinking, the car is UNlocked. It does not light up at all if the engine is running. Hope this helps.
  • rscofieldrscofield Member Posts: 6
    That's it! She has had the car for 3 mo's and calls me from the Mall in a panic. I have asked her to sit and read her manual but you how that goes. Thankk you!
    Russ

BTW: I called the dealer and their answer was, "If it's not on while the engine is running - drive the car".
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    I wondered if anyone has replaced their foglights with the "HID" foglight kits that you can buy on Ebay. My '09 Limited has the HID headlights but "regular" foglights
    Only FOOLS looking for more BLING would bother.
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    I'm not looking for more "bling" but rather a fog light that matches the very bright white shade of light that the HID headlights emit. So NOW you know.
    Use of fog lights along with main beams will be detrimental to your night distance vision at roadspeeds that require the use of the main beams.

Most state laws REQUIRE the use of main beams for the hours 30 mintes after sunset until 30 prior to sunrise.

Leaving the only LOGICAL use of fog lights being daytime foggy/low light conditions.

"...light that matches..."

So, who's to notice..?? Only those oncoming drivers who you will mostly NEVER know or meet. Unless one of them gets pissed off enough to chase you down.

Fog lights are much more functional in conditions of need if that have a slight amber tint.
  • hghflyrjd1hghflyrjd1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a used 2009 avalon and it has some scratches on the silver plastic area around the shifter prolly from the previous owner wearing jewlery etc..Is there any product that is easy to use to fill these or can it be removed and repainted or will toyota cover this issue?

hghflyrjd1@aol.com
  • Elliot UdellElliot Udell Member Posts: 83

My mechanic said the avalon i have needs a font hub assembly. It is not causing me any problems. He noticed it on inspection. What is this part and what should this repair cost?