Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Honda Pilot Air Conditioning Problems

piealotpiealot Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Honda
Our air conditioning suddenly stopped, apparently on start-up recently. The compressor doesn't kick in at all, and the ventilation fan doesn't turn on either. No heat either. Serpentine belt is fine. The control console for heat and air conditioning all seems to look and function normally. Just no air flow or compressor action.

I checked the fuses in the main fuse panel and under the driver's dash and all are fine.

I also switched around the large relays (the ones which are identical) in the main fuse panel in case one was blown, with no results.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    leo41leo41 Member Posts: 4
    This same problem happenned to my '03 pilot and you can fix it yourself. The part that needs replaced a resistor located behind your glove box. I purchased from a local honda dealer and at the same time asked one of the mechanics on how to replace it. You have to remove your glove box to get to it easier. It's a little bit difficult but i was able to do it with a phillip head screwdriver (long and short one) and a rachet set. The mechanic told me it would be a good time to replace your in cabin air filters too and told me that if you don't replace them every 25,000 to 30,000 miles, it allows this transistor to overheat and fail. Once I replaced resistor part, the AC worked as good as new. The resistor cost me about $87.00. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Sorry for all the grammer mistakes--1st time posting.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome to CarSpace. After posting, you may edit your post for 30 minutes. Just click the Edit link near your name in the post title.

But we're all pretty fluent in chat typo around here. :shades:
  • Options
    Hey Leo 41,
    Your reply is just what I was hoping for, a solution that was not obvious but works. I dropped down the glove box and I see a small black electrical relay box or something way over to the right by the side of the access opening. Could that be it? Looks like maybe a relay.
    Also I see a vertical black plastic removable panel to left of center of the opening which I suspect has the cabin air filter behind it. I'll have to remove a horizontal steel bar though first to get it out. And I see another foam air filter looking at me which is visible and I guess is the recirculating air filter.
    Any other tips?
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    The piece I replaced was close to the back of the floor board. It had 4 screws to remove it and the cord that was attached to the resistor plugs in the stationary mount like lego's. The biggest pain was removing/replacing the 4 screws on the resistor and replacing the glove box. I would strongly suggest putting new cabin air filters in--it does make difference in the air quality. If a honda dealer/mechanic or someone from autozone can show you exactly where the piece is, that would be the way to go.
  • Options
    Thankyou. I found the unit OK. It is on the bottom of the blower unit. I found the following link online if someone else has the same trouble:

Q. My question has not been addressed.... The question is... I have a 2004 Honda EX Pilot. the a/c has stopped blowing. The blower works intermittently and when it blows it only blows out of the back unit. I have checked all fuses and they are all working. When the A/C kicks in it does blow cold air.

Edited by Customer (name blocked for privacy) on June 29 2008 at 7:20pm

A. Does the air blow out the front vents on high speed or full auto?
    Sounds like the power resistor for the front blower motor is bad.
    There is a way to test it to see if its definately bad.
    Here is how:
    1. Carefully release the lock tab on the No. 3 terminal (ORN/BLK) (A) in the 5P connector, then remove the terminal and insulate it from body ground.
    1. Reconnect the 5P connector to the power transistor.
    2. Supply 12 volts to the No. 3 cavity with a jumper wire.
    3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and check that the blower motor runs.
    o If the blower motor does not run, replace the power transistor.
    o If the blower motor runs, the power transistor is OK.
    ---

I did this test and apparently the transistor is blown since the motor did not run.
  • Options
    The part I changed (Front Air Blower Resistor) is made by the same Japanese manufacturer as the original (Denso) [umm not the brainiest company name] and is pretty much identical except that it has 4 cooling fins instead of two.

For others of you with the same problem, O'Reilley's Auto Parts here in Minnesota shows the part on their computer and it was special ordered for $56 plus $7 shipping. Took 4 days. The new part is from BWD Engine Management Technology of NY state, part #RU 1044 "Resistor", says the box.

O'Reilley's also has the pollen air filter for $20.

Thanks, leo41.
  • Options
    powleypowley Member Posts: 1
    Honda service bulletin 03-048 relates to problem.
    Cause is Open circuit in the power transistor
    Looking for replacement for Power Transistor as local dealer does not stock it.
    Price is @$150.00
    Is there a place to buy?
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Have you tried this one

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/
  • Options
    chrisv1chrisv1 Member Posts: 1
    Leo,

I have a 2003 Honda Pilot. Although these symptoms similarly relate, I wanted to clarify. As with the other gentleman, my ac stopped blowing cold air on start up. The control panel appears to work fine and I can adjust what appears to be the back A/C only. No air is felt from the front vents regardless of the control settings selected. I was a little confused on the part that needed to be replaced as I only had three screws holding my unit in place. It sounds as if the part is the same one based on the description in these posts. Mine was visibly white on the side that can be viewed under the dash and had a integrated plug. I wanted to make sure with the symptoms I am seeing I will be replacing the correct part. I was reading the email below regarding how to test the blower to figure out if it is operational or not and that also lead to some confusion for me. Is there a way to test the transistor to find out if it is bad? Thanks, Chris
  • Options
    Hi Chris,
    Yes my original front blower resistor was whitish or beige- gray on the visible side as installed. It is sitting at the bottom of the ductwork facing downward, very close to the firewall in the passenger side foot area. And yes, I think there were three screws, not four.
    I unscrewed and popped down the resistor, used a VOM and did the test and mine failed the test. Then I bought the replacement resistor over the Internet (driving around for a few days without A/C or a glove compartment, and it worked great. But make sure to clean out the accessible ductwork of all dust and leaves and junk with a vacuum and replace the pollen filter too.

Hope this helps.
    Todd
  • Options
    kimh2kimh2 Member Posts: 1
    If anyone knows a trick to getting the front blower power transistor out of the plug, please help!
    There seems to be a clip on both sides holding the white plug into the black part of the transistor, and I can't get those clips loose at the same time.
    Thanks,
    Kim
  • Options
    Check this out, with photos, trouble-shooting, self diagnosis steps and hope it helps ...

http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15366
  • Options
    rossdrossd Member Posts: 5
    Have a 2003 Honda Pilot EX. Recently, the A/C stopped workinjg. The front and the rear blowers only blow ambient air. No cooling.The compressor (clutch) does not make a clicking sound when I turn on A/C. All other controls work fine. Have checked most fuses, They tested ok. Tried swapping some relays (under hood), but did not help. Any pointers will be appreciated.
  • Options
    94acura94acura Member Posts: 12
    I had the same problem found last weekend. Only difference is that I can hear hissing sound from the passenger's side when I turn AC on. Mine is 2007 pilot with 37000 miles on and I am wondering if AC is covered by warranty.
  • Options
    Check whether front condensor / piping leakage, got hit and punctured by road debris, especially the opening right at bumper area. It is about $750 to replace and considered to be accident thus warrant won't cover.

I had the grille-insert installed to avoid such problems.

http://www.carspace.com/bigdadi118/Albums/08PilotGrille01/PX02.jpg/page/photo.ht- ml#pic

• Options
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Right on the money! It indeed was a damaged condenser. The shop also installed a screen in the front to prevent road debris damaging it again.
  • Options
    I consider we inherited and pay for Honda's poor design.
  • Options
    colonri1270colonri1270 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I need some help from you guy expert. I took apart the dash of my honda pilot to replace a wire harness, I took off the ac condenser, well finilly I put everything back together, then I went to recharge my ac and now the ac doesn't kick on. I checked again for right connection, but everything seen to be install right, Anybody know if I needed to do something else before I recharge the AC?
  • Options
    questorzquestorz Member Posts: 1
    94acura, did you ever resolve this issue? I have the same situation on my 2008 Pilot where the passenger side (sounds like its coming from under the dash) has a hissing or leaking air type sound just when the heating/air is on. Just wondered what you found out.
  • Options
    wiilwaalwiilwaal Member Posts: 2
    2006 Honda Pilot 45000 Mile

Hi every one

I think I'm having similar problem with mine too even thought it is little different.

When I turn on my Heat the front vent are blowing on air no heat while the rear vent are blowing normal heat as wanted.

I hope someone can give idea where to start.

thanks

willwaal :confuse:
  • Options
    pilot28pilot28 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my '08 Pilot for only two years and suddenly the air conditioner stopped working. It blows out semi cool air... not cold at all. What are my options, I am just at 34,000 miles. I took the car in to the dealer previously for this problem when it was still under warranty and now I am facing the same problem again. I am really upset that I may have to spend a whole lot of money to fix this problem in a car that I purchased new!
  • Options
    Yuor post does not have enough info. to come up with some suggestions. Assuming that everything works except the air being not cold enough, you may
    have insufficient amount of Freon in the system. Have you had the dealer checked for leaks in the A/C system yet?
  • Options
    willazwillaz Member Posts: 2
    I'm writing this message to warn others regarding my 2003 Honda Pilot a/c problem.
    My 2003 Pilot (86,000 miles) is at the dealer for service now. Loud fan noise when I start the engine with a/c on and on cold air coming out on all vents. When the suv is running, the noise is substantially lessened and cold air comes out nicely.
    It was diagnosed to have a failing a/c compressor that is spreading metal fragments to the entire a/c system. The service advisor told me that the entire a/c system has to be replaced and it will cost $5,100.00+tax. I was also told that if I had it fix much earlier, the damage would have been much less. I told him that I follow the maintenance schedule religiously and take it for service exclusively at their dealership. They should have noticed the problem and made the appropriate repair. But they did not. He also told me that this is a known problem on the CRV but not on the Pilot. There goes my plan for buying a CRV.
    I called Honda customer service and the guy that I talked was very pleasant but could not offer any assistance. He will not even transfer me to his manager because he said that nobody can help me even if I talk to an executive. I think I have no choice but to have the repair done at a Honda dealership otherwise we cannot use the car or sell it in it's current condition.
    With this experience, I don't think I'll buy another Honda ever again. I won't even recommend it to anybody. I'm very very very disappointed with Honda for using cheap parts.
    Do any of you know someone or a number that I can call at Honda to try to get financial assistance like a discount on parts, etc.?
    Good luck to all of us.
  • Options
    littleferglittleferg Member Posts: 1
    Did you get any where on this issue. I am facing the exact same thing. I had the AC fixed under warranty ten months ago and now that it is out of JUST warranty the AC has suddenly stopped working again.
  • Options
    lhammlhamm Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    compressor went bad so replaced that now ac lines are freezing up compressor is not turning off.please help
  • Options
    rogerlindrogerlind Member Posts: 1
    Everything is working except air has progressively gotten less cool until it does not cool at all.
  • Options
    eddy27eddy27 Member Posts: 2
    My A/C went out so i look on the internet and found this forums it help a lot ..So Thanks the symptoms where console was working.turns on for only a second then cut off back blower works but not getting cold ....So before i change it i unplugged the small wire harness off and tried it before i even unscrewed the old resistor and the ac came on so i change the resistor it looks like fins the old one had two fins the replacement had four didn't need to take the clove box apart don't know if its different for other Pilots hope this helps Thanks again.... Ohh yeah it works Great Now http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/DjEddyBoy/photo4.jpg
  • Options
    samzsamz Member Posts: 4
    Recently, I've noticed my 2010 Pilot's fans having these 2 strange behaviors:

1. When I start the vehicle, the fans will sound working but no air from the vents. If I press the mode button to what I want, the air will come out quickly. For sure I never change the mode manually before I turn off the engine.

2. With A/C off, the fans will blow hot or cool air if I change the temperature on either the diver or passenger side. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.
  • Options
    palmisanofpalmisanof Member Posts: 1
    I have seen post very similar to my problem but just want to clarify. My A/C Heat controls look to be working properly but I do not hear the compressor kick on nor do I get any air out of the front vents on any setting. I do get air out of the rear vent. I can hear the controls moving under the dash when I select Head/Feet or Dash. using the "Mode" control but no air or compressor. My biggest question is, would the power resistor on the blower prevent the compressor from coming on?
  • Options
    jhnydrmrjhnydrmr Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking this might be the same problem. The AC was working fine and I was about 10hrs into a trip when the control panel blanked out (nothing on the LCD and buttons do nothing) When this happened the rear blowers came on full and appeared to be cold. It came back on a few minutes later and stayed on for a bit before repeating the same symptoms. Now its sort of hit and miss. I also noticed that the outside temp was not reading anything either. Not sure if that is related.

I'm a long way from home and its hot down here in South Carolina.
  • Options
    jim475jim475 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Pilot, 176k miles - Same symptoms, i.e, going down the road, the front blower stopped, no AC air from front vents, although blower for back still worked. Did the self-check as described in this thread via the post by piealot (Jul 11, 2008) and confirmed air conditioner/heater front blower motor and fan transistor (Honda P/N 79330s3va01) was at fault. Purchased a replacement from ebay store for 69.00 (inc. shipping). While at it, replaced the front cabin air filter (24.00 from local auto parts store) located in vertical slot hold behind glove box. Filter was matted thick w/dirt/dust. Note that if you replace filter, you may have to cut metal crosspiece after removing the glove-box (easily done). For the metal crosspiece, I used aviation shears. Dremmel tool would have worked as well. Too difficult to use hacksaw blade, not enough push/pull space.
    The transistor assembly change-out was straightforward. Disconnect plug to transistor assembly, remove three phillips screws, drop out old and insert new one, return screws and reconnect. Heads up, its an on-your-back, under the dashboard, pretzel twisting position you'll find yourself in doing this...however, its a money saver if you elect to do it yourself.
  • Options
    jethrotull1jethrotull1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 honda pilot that the front blower quit. I replaced the blower motor resistor and it worked for about 10 minutes and quit again. What could the problem be? Could the new resistor have been bad? Or is something else wrong?
  • Options
    gvillepilot07gvillepilot07 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my a/c seems to working correctly however, at times (usually when stopping) I hear a loud humming/thumping noise. It makes me think there's someone next to me w/a lot of bass! It stops if I turn the a/c off. Want to address it before it gets worse. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    pizzapilotpizzapilot Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2004 Pilot and that same thing has happened to me. it does not happen all the time, but comes and goes. When I took it to be serviced and aked them to check it out, they told me everything was normal.
  • Options
    pizzapilotpizzapilot Member Posts: 2
    I know that some of the posts here are pretty old, but man did you all help me out. My A/C just quit blowing out of the front vents and after checking all of the fuses that I thought might be the problem I called the shop where I usually get my vehicle serviced, and they told me that it would be six days befor they could even look at it. Well, i got on the internet and found this forum. I followed all of your suggestions and now today Saturday 8/06/2011 the day after my A/C shut down, it is running again! O'Reilly's had me the part and the filter the next morning and it went in pretty easy. I did look on youtube for a video and was able to find this one on how to change the cabin air filter. I helped me to see someone taking the glove box out and removing the metal brace without cutting it off.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWUy2w5_BEY
    Thanks again for all of your help!
  • Options
    fny139fny139 Member Posts: 1
    Can this be normal? When the climate control is set to AUTO the AC control on the passenger's side does not work.

Specifically, if the passenger lowers the AC to a temp. below the driver's temp. the air comes out colder on the passenger's side but it will just trickle out - the fan will not kick up until the driver's side temp is lowered. Even if the passenger's side is lowered to Low, the coldest it can be set at, the air just barely comes out.

The dealer tested the temperature and said it is coming out colder and that this is normal. He said he tested it on two other identical Pilots and they did the same thing.

If you are on the driver's side then the fan will kick on right away when you lower the temp.
    Any ideas?

Thanks you.
  • Options
    imjajaimjaja Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2003 honda pilot that the front blower quit. I read throught this forum and replaced the blower motor resistor and it worked for about 10 minutes and quit again. Is the Resistor bad again. It cost me $95. What is my problem? Please help!!!
  • Options
    pjl3pjl3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Pilot that the A/C is blowing cool air instead of cold, also a noise is coming out from under the dash on the passengers side, has anyone had this problem and what was the problem? Can the problem be corrected by me instead of going to the dealership?
  • Options
    remurphremurph Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Pilot with 130K miles on it. The blower motor is failing intermittently.

Symptoms/Observations:
    - This has been happening off and on for the last 6 months. It has gone weeks or a month without happening at this time, then the issue reappears.
    - blower Motor generally fails to come on when vehicle is started, when it fails
    - motor appears to not have power at all, when it fails (it's on, or it's off)
    - condensor appears to be working, as cool air continues to come out of vents if vent is open and car is moving
    - Motor will come back on occasionally, and it coming back on seems to be tied to getting the vehicle up to a certain speed (50-60mph), or RPM (not sure?). Once it comes back on, it stays on.
    - Sometimes, shutting the vehicle off, and restarting, will bring power back to the blower. Other times, it will not.
    - Interestingly, the radio has lost power several times during this period of time of intermittent loss of power to the blower. NOT at the same time, ever. Shutting the vehicle off and back on seems to bring power back to the radio, although shutting it off and on had to be done several times on one occasion, and didn't work on another occasion (power randomly came back to the radio the next time the vehicle was driven).
    - A local mechanic who is a relative of a friend heard about this issue and immediately identified the problem as a faulty NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH, but I have been unable to get this person to confirm this, or do the work to fix it. Based on what I've read on neutral safety switches, I see no way that this could be a root cause for the failure of power to the blower motor or radio.
    - My mechanic that generally works on the vehicle was unable to recreate the problem, and doesn't have any theories on how to fix it.

Does anybody out there have any theories about what could be causing it, and have a strategy for systematically tracking down a way of fixing it?
  • Options
    jmcc4jmcc4 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 pilot heat/ac/blower keeps blowing the 7.5 a fuse for the heater control. I'm told the problem is a blower motor but the seat heaters quit too (seat heater fuse is ok). This (these) problem started 2 mos ago. What can I do (other than drive around with a pocket full of extra 7.5 amp fuses)?
  • Options
    bray20bray20 Member Posts: 1
    About 10 minutes after driving, the heat starts to blow out of the upper vents when the a/c is on automatic. The heat comes out even if the outdoor temperature is warm, which heats up the SUV quickly making it very uncomfortable. Turning the a/c off tends to somewhat solve the problem most of the time, however, occasionally hot air creeps through the vents even with the a/c off. The a/c often makes a gurgling sound whether it is on or off.
  • Options
    jessd82jessd82 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    my 03 honda pilot has never given me any problems. but when i turned the a/c on last week it just blew hot air. my husband took it to wk & re-charged it & it passed leak test. It seemed to blow cold air again @ that point but the temps had also been back in the 40 & 50's. turned a/c on on another 75 degree day & it blows hot air again. what is wrong w/ my a/c??

also would like to add that for almost two years now ever so often it sounds like to me the fan motor is making a weird sound. especially if i hit a bump. its a grinding type sound. I can turn the power off & it will quit. this happens w/ heat or a/c. sometimes if i have my fan on high it will do it & the only way to keep it from happening @ that paticular moment is to keep on low. not sure if the two problems coincide. I have no prob w/ my heating & my a/c worked perfect last summer.
  • Options
    jkclarkjkclark Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 pilot ex-l. the airbag/srs indicator came on yesterday. shortly after, the AC stopped blowing air from all vents, the display went blank as did the exterior temp reading (--- F). meanwhile, i could hear a very loud fan sound - as if the AC were on high - coming from the area where the center console is.

thanks for any help.
  • Options
    desertdog928desertdog928 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2012 Honda Pilot LX with just under 10K miles on it. The A/C has been making this load moaning sound everything it comes on. Took it into the dealer and they said they called the tech line and the problem is still under investigation. Filed a complaint with customer service, they just told me today that there is nothing they can do but the issue is still under investigation and refuse to work with me to get it resolved!! ie trade in or return.

Anyone else having this issue??
  • Options
    sqrladysqrlady Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Pilot seems to have the a/c stuck in the ice cold position. The temperature control no longer seems to function at all. Has anyone experienced this before? At times it seems to have difficulty starting after being driven now too and I am wondering if it might be related. Any ideas?
  • Options
    msinmsin Member Posts: 1
    I also have the same 2012 Pilot A/C moaning noise. I can hear the noise more clearly when my 2012 Pilot is standing. It is very annoying. I have not taken to the dealership yet. Perhaps I should. However, I doubt they will do anything about it.
  • Options
    holliprohollipro Member Posts: 1
    Good Day Gentlemen
    I have a Honda RD1 with similar A/C problems except the fuses in the engine compartment are being burnt. Where can this come from? The electricians have not touched the resistor. We all need help

Hollipro