Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rear view mirror temp and compass not working. Chevy Suburban.

996scott996scott Member Posts: 2
edited August 2018 in Chevrolet
Hoping someone can help. The temp and compass quit working on the rear view mirror of my 02 suburban. It worked on and off for a while and now quit completely. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I don't know if it is the mirror or maybe a sensor somewhere that is broken. Any thoughts would be great. If not I guess i'll get it to the dealer. Thanks.

See Also
How To Fix Malfunctioning Rearview Mirrors

Comments

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I'm thinking it's the mirror or some part of it, not a sensor. After all, the temp and compass info surely come from two different sources. Does the auto-dimming still work?
  • 996scott996scott Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure if the auto dimming is working or not. I'll have to check that when I get home. My thought was the mirror as well. I'll probably have to have the dealer check it. Thanks for the help.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I'd be checking the power to the mirror..........
  • rodonnellrodonnell Member Posts: 37
    I gotta ask. You did turn it on did you? There is the button on the mirror that turns it on and off.

You might check the electrical connector to the mirror. It is located just above the mirror in the cable running behind the cover attached to the window. Perhaps there is a bit of poor contact there. Are you getting any display in the mirror at all? Are any of the lights working? The Air Bag light is in the bottom of the mirror, does it still work? I do not think it is a problem with the power to the mirror as it shares power with several other things in the interior and you would know if a fuse was blown. Also do not think it is a problem with the inputs as there are two separate inputs as discussed before.

Ray
  • thedutydoctorthedutydoctor Member Posts: 2
    My nephew has a 2004 Silverado, the rear view mirror has both the temp and compass option but for some reason this is inoprative at times, thats to say it works for a few miles then stops, has anyone taken these mirrors to bits, will they come apart or are they sealed like almost everything else is these days, i'm thinking that this is most likely a bad connection, a bad wire or a bad solder joint on the main PCB inside the mirror, was wondering if they have ever stripped a mirror down to board level for repair, does anyone know if the board is epoxy resined in or removable, I'm just trying to save time if this item is sealed or not repairable we can check the local breakers,
    Anyone had this issue before

Thanks
    thedutydoctor
  • scamutzscamutz Member Posts: 5
    Ok, so it's 4 years later, but was there ever a resolution on this? I'm having the same issue....seems like it worked intermittently and then finally just died and won't come on at all.
  • scamutzscamutz Member Posts: 5
    Same issue - happened the same way - still broken. :)
  • kathnrichkathnrich Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2014

I have a 2007 where the compass and temp went out on the mirror. Took it to a dealer. The problem was/is the fuse block under the hood or connections. They reset the connections to the main fuse block harness and it all came back on. They said if it happens again, the main fuse block has to be replaced. It happened again after about six months.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hi kathnrich,

Sorry to hear that the compass and temperature are out again on your vehicle. Since the dealership performed the repair not too long ago, they may be able to correct this again with no problems. We'd be happy to contact your dealership if you're thinking of going back to have this fixed if you haven't already done so. Feel free to send us a private message with your contact information and VIN if we can be of assistance.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• mtempletonmtempleton Member Posts: 1

OK, so a few more years later and the same thing has happened to my 2002 Avalanche Compass/Temp rear view mirror. What is the "under the hood connection" that needed to be checked on the main fuse block harness, referenced above? Or how can I tell if it is the mirror itself and not the main fuse block connection? Thanks.
    Michael

• smaderosmadero Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Chevrolet avalanche 1500, same issue. I just open the instrument panel fuse block, then check the tiny wires connections and pres it down to plug in properly.  Problem resolved.  B)
  • bigboirrbigboirr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 yukonxl denali. The passenger air bag light on the rear view mirror is flashing/ flickering and also goes from showing brightly to going dim to where you can barely read it. Does anyone have any understanding of this issue? 
  • szymansku4g63szymansku4g63 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem.  Direction worked, but temp didn't. All I did was make sure the connection in the back was good.  It was a little loose, I pushed it in, and Wala!  Works. Lol

• martihumartihu Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased an 03 GMC Yukon SLT. The temp/direction window on the rearview mirror isn't working. The green light is on. Is it the mirror or is there a sensor somewhere that isn't working. My hubby checked the connection on back of mirror..wasn't loose..also checked the fuse under the hood..had juice.

• martihumartihu Member Posts: 2
    correction...02 Yukon.
  • gerardog15gerardog15 Member Posts: 1
    Ok... here i go. Excuse mi english just trying to help. Finally I fix mi rear view mirror.  Compass&temperature display. If everything alse work good and you dont have a air bag symbol on the dash then this is the solution. Looks hard but is easy.  If you disamble the mirror wiht a little flat head screwdriver front plastic cover has little tabs. And take off the connector from mirror (obout 1/2 " inch size) right next to it is a black circuit with AR3  needs resoldering.    Here is the link of where i find out credits to this guy http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/#/topics/100144?page=2
  • cmikalauskicmikalauski Member Posts: 1
    Ok... here i go. Excuse mi english just trying to help. Finally I fix mi rear view mirror.  Compass&temperature display. If everything alse work good and you dont have a air bag symbol on the dash then this is the solution. Looks hard but is easy.  If you disamble the mirror wiht a little flat head screwdriver front plastic cover has little tabs. And take off the connector from mirror (obout 1/2 " inch size) right next to it is a black circuit with AR3  needs resoldering.    Here is the link of where i find out credits to this guy http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/#/topics/100144?page=2
    Man THANK YOU!  I have been searching for this for over a year now.  Opened the mirror and only had 3 marked AR3 but could barely see a crack in the solder.  Checked for continuity and sure enough did not have it on the one with the cracked solder.  Resoldered adding some extra flux and whipped a couple donuts (under 10mph) to calibrate and finally compass and temp works.  I almost bought a new mirror when I bought this truck just to have it working but after seeing the price and being unsure if that was the problem I just went without.
  • wwoowwoo Member Posts: 1
    THANK YOU Gerardog15! You pointed me to the right direction and got my mirror fixed. Mine was not caused by the same 4R3 resistor that was for you, but it is the same issue - cracked solder.
    There are actually more than 3 of these 4R3 resistors if you look pass the display circuit board, and on towards to the main board. I believe there are two more of these over there that we should check.
  • ShyShy Member Posts: 1
    Yes thank you sooo much!!!! Gonna try this. And I literally just got a little soldering kit the other day. I've got a 02' Chevy Avalanche 1500 Z71
    I'll post back when I fix it. 🤞
  • carnut2021carnut2021 Member Posts: 3
    ♪♪Don't get fooled again ♪♪ ! After spending the whole morning troubleshooting this problem, I realized there's a sensor behind the mirror on the left side and I hung my handicapped plackard on the mirror blocking the sensor !!! Duuhhh ~~~ ! Removed the plackard ~ problem solved !
  • atienojonesatienojones Member Posts: 2
    Great post. This is really good. Thanks for sharing this information. Keep sharing.