Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Just Took Off

poetrypoetry Member Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in INFINITI
I was backing out of a blind parking space and hit a car I didn't see. Naturally I braked. Before getting out to see the damage I shifted into drive to go forward in order to see the damage to my bumper and his car. By shifting into drive the car just took-off down an access lane at incredible speed and I ended up plowing into a steel fence that "caught" me and saved me from falling down a 20 foot or more drop straight down to either death or serious injury. The spectacle of the car hanging over this wall made the front page of our local newspaper. I was rescued. My question is has this occurred to other people while shifting from one position to another (my car is an automatic G35 2004). I am afraid to drive this car now. It is being repaired at great cost.

Comments

• Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Wow... glad you're okay!

No, I have NEVER heard of this before.
    Are you 100% sure your foot wasn't on the accel pedal???
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    "Wow... glad you're okay!"

Yeah, exactly. Where have you been for the last 3 months or so? Hope your G is still holding up its end.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    There are no absolutes in life--anything is possible including a demonic spirit taking over my body and making me hit the accelerator instead of the brake. Or maybe an unconscious wish to kill myself--the unconscious overruling the conscious mind--that sort of thing (see recent issue of Discover Mag). I guess I'll never know. I have the car back but since I'm poetry and not a mechanic I can't really judge whether the motor is running as it should. I know the changed muffler sounds terrible so I'm taking the car back tomorrow. It was not repaired by an infinity dealer since I live so far away from one would that have made a difference?
  • Options
    I want to thank Njjuliano for alerting me to the posts under "sudden acceleration" I feel somewhat redeemed by the posts I read there. I also send the link to my insurance company. If I knew how to do it I would attach a picture of my car, half way over a wall, and a drop that surely would have killed me if my guardian angel hadn't stopped it so you all can see what I've been through psychologically.

When I'm told that I had my foot on the accelerator I cringe. Why would I have panicked when the contact I had with the other car was hardly noticeable? I'm going to pursue this further on the other forum and here if there are more responses.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    guysaabguysaab Member Posts: 4
    When people inadvertantly slammed the gas pedal instead of the brake. The brakes on any car are a direct, mechanical connection and produce exponentially more braking force than the engine can ever produce in acceleration.
    Just say oops and don't try to blame the car.
This discussion has been closed.