Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis vs. Audi A6 vs. Lexus GS vs. BMW 5 series

2»

Comments

• carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Did not drive, but checked out an A4 and an A6 yesterday and studied the brochures and web info on both. The A4 appears better equipped than the A6 and almost as big inside. Both smaller than the Genesis and smaller than my Azera.
    Biggest problem is that neither is up to the Asian standards on features and electronics. Even after you load up with most expensive packages and options.
    Sales manager recommended I get the $770, 3 year maintenance package if I purchase. In otherwords, maintenance will be expensive per the manual.
  • rk2469rk2469 Member Posts: 30
    I need a confirmation. Such incident is so rare. If it did happen, I need more than 1 report to confirm it.

This single post isn't sufficient enough. I wouldn't dismiss it but such thing happens with other cars, including Lexus. I think, this anecdotal post is a rare and does not represent the total view.
  • rjj718rjj718 Member Posts: 5
    To follow up: Problem not resolved. I contacted the dealership from which I purchased the vehicle. Two calls went unreturned (Mon the 17th). On Tuesday the 18th the same thing happened with the car -- system failures resulting in total inoperability. I must say that once I got the car to the dealership, I've had fantastic communication from my service rep. He's been cooperative, informative and honest. Fortunately they're not minimizing the seriousness of the problem with this particular vehicle -- if they did they would have one angry customer. Their Genesis techs are baffled but working hard to fix it. All day Tuesday when the car was with them it ran fine, then a manager went to drive it in the evening and incident #3 happened. I truly do not believe that this is characteristic of the Genesis, and yes it could happen with any vehicle. I think it's rare and a fluke, and I also feel confident that Hyundai will fix the car. I've done a good deal of research on the web and not found a similar experience.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    If you like Avalon and considering ES 350, check out the 2010 Buick Lacross. Never thought I would suggest a Buick to anyone, but you have to see this car to believe it. It is beautiful inside and (mostly) out, and is choke full of technology and features not available on BMW, Audi or Lexus that cost $20K more.

I wouldn't want to buy it because the driving experience is supposed to be similar to the Lexus ES, but that seems to be what you want.
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    Ah, but have they solved the resale problem?

If I bought an ES 350, I wuld probably do the same suspension upgrades that I have done to my wife's 03 Avalon as detailed in the 04 and earlier Av forum. Handles much more like a BMW now and is more fun to drive. Tried out a new Cad STS AWD V8. Heavier feel, but I prefer the AV. Don't like the Cad steering feel. CTS too.
  • prema1prema1 Member Posts: 21
    Rather than wasting money on suspension upgrades for an ES350, I would just spend $5000 more and get a GS350. GS350 has superb handling, a more powerful engine (I think it is because of direct injection), and drives as well as a BMW. No front wheel drive car will match that.

On the Genesis - I agree its a good car and don't believe reliability issues are widespread. But a Hyundai dealership just can't provide a premium service experience. I went in there, and just did not want to deal with a service guy who barely speaks English and has a gold tooth. Its just not confidence inspiring. Plus if you ever need a loaner you get stuck with some crappy 4 cylinder hyundai instead of getting a Lexus ES350, IS250 or RX350 loaner which is what Lexus offers. I think Hyundai was extremely naive in trying to start a luxury car business without separate dealerships.
    "Rather than wasting money on suspension upgrades for an ES350"

Well, if $$$ were no concern.......... but I can do the suspension upgrade for 1/10 of that and still have a fine car. What does one really need? As opposed to what would I like to have. Guess I'm just too practical. That's why I will buy when they come off 3 year lease and the price is down. That initial depreciation is like flushing the money down the toilet. I have no debt and I want no debt. Personal choice. Don't like paying others for using their money either. Also like flushing it down a toilet. I pay cash because of what I have saved doing it like this. Takes discipline and not for everyone but it works great for me.
  • prema1prema1 Member Posts: 21
    I also have no debt, no leases, pay cash and get really good deals. I was simply making the point that suspension upgrades cost money upfront which are pure depreciation because they aren't worth much of a premium to used car buyers.
  • rocketdan1rocketdan1 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    for those who had minor issues/turn off about Genesis suspension , now have little to say with the 2012 version.

Already own the Genesis coupe and ready soon to trade it in for a family sedan with some sport. (infinity M, BMW 528, Genesis)

Took the coupe in for service and test drove the 2012 Genesis 3.8 and color me impressed.

I was already impressed with the car when it was first born, but the 2012 drives even more refined and looks even better.

It is no longer a pre tender and is a real option when cross shopping vs bmws, infinitys, mercedes imo (other than for brand image, which hyundai is improving upon every day). Because the price for it is low, it can also be an option for buyers interested in semi luxurious cars like maxima, avalon too.

Pros: Refined to respectability, suspension is on par with the best in its class, handsome looks (last years model rear tail lights not aging well, front grill doesn't blend in well with rest of the car), best car you can buy for the money

cons: Interior could be more modern, 8 speed auto geared towards smooth and gas saving vs 6 speed zf which was better for "sport".
    So what did they change about the suspension? I wouldn't buy one the way Hyundai's were. Too jiggly.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    From what I've read on other forums, they have softened it a little. I also read that they finally dumped the DUnlop SP 5000 tires (which have a terrible consumer ranking on Tire Rack) in favor of something different. I can't remember what brand.

If the ride is much improved over the 09-11 it would be a good thing for Hyundai. I dumped my 09 V6 after 2 years and 21K miles, I just couldn't stand the ride any longer. Jittery and unsettled to say the least.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• rocketdan1rocketdan1 Member Posts: 2
    yeah they did. its not "jiggle" or "bouncy" like some have complained before

its now planted but absorb bumps before transmitted inside the cabin.

The genesis suspension was a little confused with the last model. Hyundai tried to be comfortable and sport , but didn't marry them in proper harmony.

The 2012 has got it right from my long test drive.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    They have Michelin's on them now, forgot which brand.
  • oldburbnewcx9oldburbnewcx9 Member Posts: 53
    I recently test drove a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan. Very nice car but not really tuned for hadr driving. The biggest problem I has was when I pushed the car hard from a start there was a very noticable throttle lag/hesitation until the engine acceelerated. It was also as if the stumbled from a stop when pressed hard.
  • alleycat10alleycat10 Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2011
    I drove a 2012 Genesis 3.8 sedan twice in mid-December, the second time after over-inflated tires on the first gave the car a very jiggly ride. The second time, I took the car on a rough road with lots of pavement dips. The jiggle was gone on the second ride, but I was disappointed with the ride as it transmitted quite a bit of bounce, amounting to what I would call unstable. Within about 20 minutes of the second test drive, I drove a 2012 Toyota Camry SE base model on the same stretch of rough pavement. The Camry ride was much more controlled and nearly as quite as the Genesis. I ended up buying the Camry at about $12,000 less than the Genesis. I will take the Genesis 3.8 on another test drive in a few years, hoping by then that Hyundai further refines the suspension as it is otherwise a very impressive automobile. Another thing that Hyundai should do is to arrange the outside temperature indicator for continuous display. The display for outside temperature comes up only on demand for the 2012 model.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    You compared the ride of the Genesis to that of a camry? You do know that these are totally different cars with very different driving dynamics. Would have been better off comparing Genesis to the Infinity M35 which would have had similar driving dynamics considering both are rear drive and not front drive like the camry, by the way is compared to the Sonata anyway. Talk about apples to oranges.
    Jiggly is jiggly. You like it or you don't, front drive or rear. In normal driving I doubt most would know front from rear. I have an 03 Avalon and replaced the struts with KYB GR2's and installed poly performance sway bar bushings. Much more like a rear drive BMW now. Love it and see no reason to trade. This characteristic of Hyundai is widely reported. Based upon my experience with the Avalon upgrade, there seems to be no reason to have to put up with that unless you do track time. I have driven them and would not buy one for that reason. I would like to drive one with 30k to see if it changes. My Avalon was a bit that way on small bumps initially but perfect now. In fact a friend who drives Town Car limo's drove it the other day and commented on how well it rode and how flat it cornered. You can have the best of both worlds, just pick your compromise carefully. It is all a compromise. Pick the one that suits you best.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    GREAT post. There are cars out there that prove you can have some comfort while still handling well. IMHO the only thing on the Genesis that needed improvement (lots of it) is the ride/handling balance. Its a car that does so much right and one very important thing wrong (at least to my tastes).

FWIW I had near 30k on mine and the ride never changed.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• alleycat10alleycat10 Member Posts: 18
    I wanted interior space and a quiet ride with a well-controlled suspension at a competitive price, the 2012 Genesis missing badly on suspension refinement for rough pavement where the 2012 Camry SE does not. Both are priced competively. Apples vs. oranges is not the issue here for me. It just so happens that winner ended up being one of the cheapest rides. I also drove the Toyota RAV4, Honda Accord, Honda CR-V, Nissan Altima, Buick Regal and Mazda 6. The Hyundai Sonata driver seating makes one feel cramped and restrained, so didn't even bother to drive it.
    My Pontiac used the Audi 5000, I believe, as their benchmark. Musta just been using the dimensions. ;-)
    I saw a Genesis coupe with a body kit etc. installed that a dealer had at a car show. SHARP.
    It's not the driving experience that I want. It's everything else. I can make the driving experience what I want with a few changes and about 500 bucks.